Carcass' guitarist Bill Steer and bassist/vocalist Jeff Walker were interviewed by Terrorizer magazine and revealed some exclusives about the band's upcoming new and sixth album to be released later this year, their first studio album in 17 years. First of all, the album will be entitled Surgical Steel.

Moreover, the band is currently wrapping up the final mixes of Surgical Steel with long-term producer Colin Richardson and are talking to labels to release. Dan Wilding (Aborted/ Heaven Shall Burn/ Trigger The Bloodshed) recorded the drum parts and the album also features guest vocals from original drummer Ken Owen.

Guitarist Bill Steer stated: "I found myself playing riffs that sounded like Carcass. This was after the band had finished the whole reunion cycle of shows and festivals. So officially I would have been playing with other bands and stuff, but for some reason whenever I picked up a guitar at home I was coming up with riffs that sounded like Carcass. I got on the phone to Jeff [Walker, bass/vocals] and said, 'We could have a crack at writing a couple of tunes and seeing if they're strong enough and take it from there'. We also agreed, if it didn't sound like Carcass or have that kind of vibe to it, we would just drop it. So that was the thing, we got together and started working on some stuff and just immediately got the excitement back very quickly."

Continues Bill: "It definitely sounds like Carcass. I think we just generally by accident captured the flavour of past music that we have done and you can't help but push it forward. We have really been creative and when you are looking at things like guitar harmonies, it's way more adventurous on this record. It's not just parallel harmony like we did in the past, things branch off in different directions. A lot of what is happening now is based on rhythms rather than actual riffs. We were discussing this a lot during record sessions about how the riff is almost dying or dead already. People spend a lot of time chugging on the bottom string [but] that's a rhythm it's not a riff - we can't write a song, never mind an album, without it being choc-full of riffs."

While the final tracklist has yet to be confirmed, the song titles of the recorded songs were disclosed:

• The Master Butcher's Apron
  • Livestock Marketplace

Source: terrorizer.com
    Band profile: Carcass
    Posted: 27.02.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

exomorphyx89 - 27.02.2013 at 21:46
    The track titles sound interesting; can't wait to listen to this masterpiece!
    Angelic Storm - 27.02.2013 at 22:18
    It's very hard not to become too overexcited for this upon seeing those song titles! I think the goregrind sound which they pioneered and perfected will be present on this album, but it will also have melodic elements on it too. A cross between Symphonies and Heartwork is what I'm imagining, and the potential for that type of sound is immense! I really hope this album lives up to it's great promise, and the Carcass guys show all the young grind/melodic death upstarts how it should be done!

Oh, and it's awesome to hear that Ken has provided some vocals for this, I'm so glad he was able to be involved with the album, even if it's not on the drum stool where he belongs.
    Guib - 27.02.2013 at 23:39
    Omg omg omg ! Im feeling like a young 13 yrs old girl, overexcited after seeing Justin Bieber live. I can't believe Carcass is releasing new material ! and Angelic if it is really a mix between Melo-death Carcass and Grind Carcass... I will make this spin over and over for years, that is exactly what I'm waiting for ! omg please Carcass make this good ! don't disapoint.
    UnknownCheese - 28.02.2013 at 00:44
    Do people really expect them to play grind again? It'll likely be in the Heartwork vein, if it sounds anything like their older stuff at all.
    CHEF METALHEAD - 28.02.2013 at 01:16
    I have the Demo to this new album and let me tell you, Killer shit people !!!
    Lord_Regnier - 28.02.2013 at 04:30
    After so many years, everything can happen. The best or the worst.
    LeChron James - 28.02.2013 at 05:00
    Unfit For Human Consumption sounds like an old song title of theirs, for some reason. But good to see the song titles are still in the same verbose medical terms.
    JēkabsFiļi - 28.02.2013 at 09:01
    Titles just prove that we are back in Necrotism plate
    Angelic Storm - 01.03.2013 at 01:17
    Written by UnknownCheese on 28.02.2013 at 00:44

Expecting them to play grind exclusively again? No, I certainly do not expect that. However, something in the Necroticism mold, is something I don't think is beyond them, that's for sure. The returning to the medical textbook type lyrics, plus the addition of Bill and Ken's vocals does lead me to think that the new album will at least somewhat resemble their old stuff. Certainly more so than "Swansong", that's for sure. As long as it bests that album, which I'm reasonably confident that it will do, then I'll be content.

News Subsignal - Reveal New Album Title 7 05.01.2013 by Zhao
    News Grave - Working On New Album, Reveal Working Title 7 01.12.2011 by Troy Killjoy
    News Children Of Bodom - Reveal New Album Title, Cover And More 7 19.03.2013 by Windrider
    News Dark Funeral - Reveal New Album Title 7 31.08.2009 by blizzard tyrant