Sabaton have just announced their new drummer. To put an end to the rumors that Robban Bäck would be coming back, or that Snowy Shaw would fill in for a while longer or take Robban's place permanently behind the drums, the power metallers revealed their new full-time drummer: Hannes Van Dahl. And there is more, the group will start recording the successor to Carolus Rex in a few weeks. Prepare yourself!

You might know Hannes Van Dahl from Evergrey, and he has also worked as drum technician for Snowy during his time in Sabaton. He did his first show as a Sabaton member at this weekends show at Metal Hammer Paradise festival in Germany.

The band states: "We would of course like to thank Robban and Snowy for their great time in Sabaton, and we will continue to support them in everything they will do in the future! In just a few weeks we will start recording a new album and more details will be presented very soon! The topic for the new album is set and we are very excited, it's totally Sabaton."

Hannes Van Dahl stated on Evergrey's Facebook page: "Time for a needed explanation, time has come for me to move in new musical directions and I have no intentions what so ever of stopping playing drums or touring, Rather the opposite. I was asked by our friends in Sabaton to join them as a full time member and this feels like the right thing to do, and first and foremost what I want do to! This is a decision which everyone respects and there's no bad blood from any side.

I am forever grateful to the four years I've had with Evergrey, all the things I have learned, all the places we've visited and all the wonderful people I've worked with and gotten to know. I wish them nothing but the best in the future! Evergrey have a new album coming out next year, even though I am not playing I am super stoked to pick it up when it's out! To Tom Englund, Rikard Zander, Marcus Jidell and Johan Niemann: faaaakkkk joooo! I love you guys! See you on the road..."

Source: sabaton.net
Band profile: Sabaton

Posted: 18.11.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

Dima - 18.11.2013 at 13:24
Am I the only one that cares for only Joakim in this band? :/ I rememberwhen i saw them when they were supporting Nightwish my eyes did not leave Joakim. Sounds kinda gay but he's just so charismatic and fun to watch!
Ellrohir - 18.11.2013 at 14:13
Yup...Sabaton is pretty much one-man show...thats because there is nothing extraordinary in the music, so you cannot admire how well are the instruments played and how skilled the musicians are...it is all about show made by Joakim and his singing...but why not?
ManiacBlasphemer - 18.11.2013 at 16:50
Written by Ellrohir on 18.11.2013 at 14:13

This pretty much applies for power metal as a genre since this music is usually vocal driven... a reliable and charismatic frontman should be the norm...
Troy Killjoy - 18.11.2013 at 16:59
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 18.11.2013 at 16:50

Is that accurate? I don't listen to power metal at all but my understanding is the music shares just as much importance as the vocalist (at least in terms of the guitars - I never hear about drums being a selling point).
Lonniehaskel - 18.11.2013 at 17:39
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.11.2013 at 16:59

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 18.11.2013 at 16:50

It's just an opinion. What power metal I listen to, I listen to for the music (ie: the opening riffs of Stratovarius - Speed of Light, Sonata Arctica - Wolf and Raven), but good strong vocals are a great extra. I DO agree, however, that a reliable and charismatic frontman should be the norm.
Pitwulf93 - 18.11.2013 at 17:45
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 18.11.2013 at 16:50

Written by Ellrohir on 18.11.2013 at 14:13

Power metal is not only about the vocals mate. Guitar is huge for that genre. Dragonforce anyone?
Also check these guys:
Troy Killjoy - 18.11.2013 at 17:56
Written by Lonniehaskel on 18.11.2013 at 17:39
It's just an opinion...

Ah, alright. Thanks for clarifying, I just wanted to be sure that what I've heard and what takes place aren't two completely different things.
ChampionOfPower - 18.11.2013 at 18:56
I typically find a weak vocalist can bring down an otherwise excellent album, but a great vocalist can elevate mediocre music. Ideally you get the best of both (Kamelot, Symphony X, Iced Earth).

But when I think of Sabaton's sound it's definitely Joakim's voice that jumps foremost to mind.
ManiacBlasphemer - 18.11.2013 at 23:26
Point is, when I check out a power metal band, the thing that sticks the most is the vocalist in the end. I remember Sabaton for the anthemic way of singing that Joakim exposes. I remeber Kamelot for the dramatic performance that Khan depicted. I remember Stratovarius for the spectacular representation that Timo delivers. Sure, guitar plays a good role too, like any other instrument, but in the end, the big majority of power metal bands rely way too much on a charismatic frontman to make them more memorable.
FeskarN - 19.11.2013 at 11:53
A really suprise I must say. I tought Snowy would join them in the end. Great to hear that they are working on a new album. Looking forward to hear what Thobbe and Chris can bring to the songwriting on this upcoming album, if they get a chance or Joakim will just write it all.
Cynic Metalhead - 19.11.2013 at 13:00
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 18.11.2013 at 16:50

Written by Ellrohir on 18.11.2013 at 14:13

Its bit overused to say that in power metal vocals are most important thing. It is obviously but then good bass, strong lead guitars with equally good drumming makes up the so called "power metal" scene very important now. Well, I strongly think strong vocal powers can't pull it off a "great" power metal album at all.

News Sabaton - New Album Trailer Online 7.5 08.03.2014 by The Evergreen
News Hate Eternal - Announce Permanent Drummer, New Album Details 7 27.07.2007 by Katatronik
News Job For A Cowboy - Announce Studio Drummer For New Album 7 06.11.2013 by Rupert
News Vermiform - Announce New Album Details 5.5 20.10.2012 by RottingDeathHead
News The Faceless - Announce New Drummer, Cancel UK Dates 5.5 29.01.2013 by Carl Berg

Hits total: 1930 | This month: 5