After so much time, you can finally hear a new song from progressive metallers Cynic. Their new album Kindly Bent To Free Us will come out next year in February and they have been kind enough to share the song titled "The Lion's Roar" today. Fans can satisfy their curiosity right here by clicking on the lyric video available below. It is what you expected after Traced In Air and subsequent EPs?

Mark your calendars, Cynic's new album Kindly Bent To Free Us is scheduled for a North American release date on February 18th, 2014 (February 14th worldwide) under Season Of Mist. Pre-orders are available here.

Artwork created by late Robert Venosa

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Cynic

Posted: 10.12.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

Hallford9000 - 10.12.2013 at 18:28
Much listenable. Very anticipated. Such progression. Wow.
Lethrokai - 10.12.2013 at 18:30
Cynic is definitely an interesting band...

Even though you know their sound down to its very details, and that the core elements of this "sound" never changes, they always find unique and different ways to utilise it.

This song is no different; it sounds like Cynic, yet it sounds different from the Cynic that we've known from their past few releases. Hardly a metal release as much as some really impressive prog rock; not sure how people on MS are going to feel about this, but I like it!
Rulatore - 10.12.2013 at 19:16
[trve]no metal, no party[/trve]
LeKiwi - 10.12.2013 at 19:26
Written by Lethrokai on 10.12.2013 at 18:30

Heritage situation 2.0 - down to the cover art That's not necessarily a bad thing, as Heritage was a success imo.
CWA - 10.12.2013 at 19:31
I'm a little disappointed with this song. It's a little more rock oriented than I was hoping, which is evident by the back seat the guitars took on this song and the overall lack of edginess. I'm still going to buy this album because Cynic is a band of real artists who have changed my life with their earlier work. If this album ends up being a flop in my eyes then at least I still got an album with amazing art work.
Lethrokai - 10.12.2013 at 19:48
Written by LeKiwi on 10.12.2013 at 19:26

Written by Lethrokai on 10.12.2013 at 18:30

I'm not sure if I'd say this is Heritage all over again (as reminiscent as the cover art may be). Heritage was an album that, even by prog rock standards, didn't seem to have too much to offer. Even though Heritage had some great standouts, the album as a whole seemed rather... well... boring. Looking at this song however, it still seems to have the same features that would keep someone interested in a Cynic song, as well as a good representation of the prog rock genre as a whole. The same brilliant instrumentation and vocal expressions that we've heard from Cynic before, only toned down slightly. It doesn't seem less in overall quality, if you get what I mean.

Of course, this track is only a sample of what's to come, and to judge the whole album based off of it would be silly now, wouldn't it? For all we know, it could be - as you stated - a Heritage 2.0. On the flipside, it could be their heaviest album yet (even though that seems unlikely with the direction they've been taking).

Either way, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it. I definitely enjoyed this!
LeKiwi - 10.12.2013 at 19:54
Written by Lethrokai on 10.12.2013 at 19:48

Either way, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it. I definitely enjoyed this!

I've not heard the track yet, but I will as soon as I get the chance I loved Heritage, but not really fond of prog rock so I think it was rather fresh. In any case, I only meant that with respect to this release - like Opeth's latest - people are hoping for old Cynic, and they're probably not going to get it
CWA - 10.12.2013 at 19:55
Written by LeKiwi on 10.12.2013 at 19:26

Written by Lethrokai on 10.12.2013 at 18:30

Not a Heritage 2.0. The only similarity in the cover art are that roots are present, you need to understand a little bit more of what Paul Masvidal is all about to grasp the depth of the cover. As for the sound the only similarity is the lack of metal, but both sounds are vastly different. In addition Opeth took everyone by surprise with their release. With each Cynic release on the other hand to not expect the unexpected is to not understand Cynic.
LeKiwi - 10.12.2013 at 20:01
Written by CWA on 10.12.2013 at 19:55

Have a read of my post above
Lethrokai - 10.12.2013 at 20:11
Written by LeKiwi on 10.12.2013 at 19:54

When it comes down to Cynic, the one thing you have to know about them is that they are in constant metamorphosis. Like I said in my original comment, their core sound never changes, but the way they utilise it does on every release they make. If you go to Cynic hoping for the same thing they released a few years ago, you're bound to be disappointed.
LeKiwi - 10.12.2013 at 20:14
Written by Lethrokai on 10.12.2013 at 20:11

As one should expect from a decent prog band Still, won't stop the debut fanatics from crying out, silently perhaps
qlacs - 11.12.2013 at 01:30
Written by Rulatore on 10.12.2013 at 19:16

[trve]no metal, no party[/trve]

Same thoughts, except that it still sounds interesting, but I doubt I'm gonna keep is spinning for long
BlueMobius - 11.12.2013 at 01:43
This is kind of what I was expecting to hear. I think the song is good, but it's not great. I think I enjoyed the bass the most.
Rodney - 11.12.2013 at 04:12
Really liking this, should be a great album if the rest is on par with this song. Overall good performance and songwriting, but the bass and the drums especially stood out to me. Very creative and interesting work from both those instruments.
Unhealer - 11.12.2013 at 04:37
Damn, so disappointing :/ And was this uploaded in 128kpbs? Really sounds like shit.
LeKiwi - 11.12.2013 at 11:51
Finally listened to it. They played it too safe and the second half sounds like a weaker PT
undi - 11.12.2013 at 12:03
Why are you guys talking about Heritage? This is pure Amplifier. I guess if they just discovered that band or something.
K†ulu - 11.12.2013 at 23:13
If the whole album is the same level or higher than this new song, then it should be worth investing time into; certainly, hope it will be so. Interesting prog stuff, even if a little light, but still engaging.
INÆRIS - 12.12.2013 at 02:20
I love this. It finally seems like Cynic and Aeon Spoke have merged, and this was secretly exactly what I was hoping for.
deadone - 12.12.2013 at 02:29
Written by LeKiwi on 10.12.2013 at 19:54

- people are hoping for old Cynic, and they're probably not going to get it

I definitely don't get it and won't be getting it.

What's it with all this non-metal in metal? Just cause you played metal 30 years ago doesn't mean you're still metal when you're playing indie rock.
deadone - 12.12.2013 at 02:29
Written by LeKiwi on 10.12.2013 at 19:54

- people are hoping for old Cynic, and they're probably not going to get it

I definitely don't get it and won't be getting it.

Hallford9000 - 12.12.2013 at 21:53
I think most people want good music...
Luneth - 14.12.2013 at 03:38
Written by Lethrokai on 10.12.2013 at 18:30

Cynic is definitely an interesting band...

I like it too and have a feeling the tracklist will be heavier and longer.
deadone - 16.12.2013 at 03:11
Written by Hallford9000 on 12.12.2013 at 21:53

I think most people want good music...

I like good music but I don't expect reviews of Dean Martin or Johann Straus II or Dead Kennedies on metal websites.

At some point, even metal bands stop being metal bands. And Cynic is definitely not very metal these days.
Azhu - 16.12.2013 at 10:08
Sounds really good in my honest opinion. I don't mind if a metal band doesn't make metal music anymore as long as their music is still rockin'.
Hatebeard - 16.12.2013 at 18:20
Guys I can't wait to hear that new Slayer album, I heard they've gone COUNTRY and it's AWESOME! As long as it's good I don't care! YEAH, fuck metal music! Yeehaaw!
deadone - 17.12.2013 at 00:05
Written by Azhu on 16.12.2013 at 10:08

I don't either. It's just about where they get covered.
Mattybu - 20.12.2013 at 00:06
Written by Guest on 16.12.2013 at 18:20

I have some important wisdom to share with you... he seems a little rough around the edges as first, but Metal is actually a nice guy. he even told me that you're not betraying him by listening to music that isn't metal, and not only that, he admitted that there is good music out there that isn't metal!

News Cynic - New Song Streaming Online 9 05.11.2011 by Clintagram