Looks like Jason Richardson is very busy this year. After releasing his solo single "Thought", now Chelsea Grin, the prog deathcore outfit, just released their newest single called "Letters" which you can hear down below. This is one of the new songs that will be featured on the band's upcoming new album and follow-up to My Damnation, due out in 2014 on Artery Recordings/Razor & Tie.

The single is also available on iTunes.

The band explains: "'Letters' is not the heaviest, nor the most technical song on our new record. We felt like it was a good 'middle ground' song. There are 15 songs on the new CD, so if you want heavier, you'll get much heavier."

Source: chelseagrinmetal.com
Band profile: Chelsea Grin

Posted: 19.12.2013 by Neroese

Comments

LeKiwi - 19.12.2013 at 12:09
Wtf is this...
Troy Killjoy - 19.12.2013 at 18:38
Seeing Chelsea Grin referred to as prog deathcore.
Neroese - 19.12.2013 at 19:46
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.12.2013 at 18:38

Seeing Chelsea Grin referred to as prog deathcore.

Since J. Richardson joined them they're trying to be 'prog' but with various effects.
Troy Killjoy - 19.12.2013 at 20:13
Written by Guest on 19.12.2013 at 19:46

I barely listen to any prog myself (Green Carnation is the only band I can think of at the moment) so maybe I'm not the best person to comment about this but I don't hear anything progressive in their song structures - especially when compared to the likes of Born of Osiris or The Contortionist. Chelsea Grin have always come across to me as an extremely by-the-numbers form of deathcore: not overly technical, straightforward, and generic.
Neroese - 19.12.2013 at 20:23
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.12.2013 at 20:13

Written by Guest on 19.12.2013 at 19:46

Since 'Evolve' EP their style changed a bit (caused by Jason). Maybe new album will be more Prog (they even write that this song isn't very 'proggy'). I'll give 'em chance overall. Jason's solo stuff gonna be amazing, and maybe he will teach CG how to prog.
Boxcar Willy - 21.12.2013 at 04:04
Pretty bad, much better than the previous Ep. Vocals are too loud though.

The songwriting isn't very good here either, it's either a breakdown or a super wankfest solo. Ick.
Uldreth - 21.12.2013 at 13:28
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.12.2013 at 20:13

Written by Guest on 19.12.2013 at 19:46

Yeah it isn't really prog structurally. I guess they are getting called prog because of Jason's unusual, BoO-esque riffs, but that is hardly enough to make it prog if the rest does not follow.

Both BoO and The Contortionist are much better examples of actual progressive deathcore.

News Chelsea Grin - Guitarist Streaming New Single 10.5 01.12.2013 by qlacs