All of a sudden, Finnish power metallers Sonata Arctica have revealed the details of what will be the successor of 2012's controversial Stones Grow Her Name. The new album will be named Pariah's Child and will be released on March 28th, 2014 via Nuclear Blast Records. It will also be the first to feature new bass player Pasi Kauppinen. Here below you can enjoy the album's cover artwork, and appreciate the return of the old, classic logo.

About the album, vocalist Tony Kakko had this to say: "As always it's pretty hard coming up with a name for the new baby. I tried to approach it from many angles; how this is our 8th album and how easy it would be to abuse that fact. All the symbolism of figure eight, eternity and so on. But that just did not feel right as it's been done so many times. Then I started to think how we'd in ways abandoned our 'totem animal', the wolf and all what comes with the territory. As the music on the album is bowing more towards the 'old' Sonata, meaning more power metal style elements and wolves in many of the songs in one form or another, it was clear we need a wolf on the cover. An abandoned wolf. A pariah. Or Pariah's child, actually. The new generation to bring the old logo back."

The new release will be accompanied by the following live performances:

10.04.2014 - NED - Effenaar, Eindhoven
06.05.2014 - ESP - Arena, Madrid

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Sonata Arctica

Posted: 09.01.2014 by R Lewis

Comments

R Lewis - 09.01.2014 at 12:34
Let's hope the old logo brings also the old music back.
At least, that's what Tony's words suggest...
Stratowarrior - 09.01.2014 at 13:40
Cool cannot wait!
Warman - 09.01.2014 at 14:31
It sounds promising, but I'm still not expecting anything considering what a letdown "Stones bla bla bla" was. Although I absolutely loved "The Days of Grays" and thought "Unia" was good (no more, no less), which could mean that "Stones bla bla bla" was just a parenthesis.
The Evergreen - 09.01.2014 at 14:48
Sounds good to me. I almost don't care what direction it goes as long as it's coherent. Stones had some cool songs, but it was a bit of mess if you try to listen to it all the way through. Say what you want about Unia, it worked well as an album. Days started to get crazy.
Old style would be the best, but most of all, I'd like something that sounds good and consistent all the way through.
Love the art work.
Joodicator - 09.01.2014 at 14:56
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

You cannot fathom how excited I am.
Troy Killjoy - 09.01.2014 at 15:01
Written by Joodicator on 09.01.2014 at 14:56
You cannot fathom how excited I am.

You're right. I keep trying to fathom it but, alas, I cannot. You win this round...
Vitriolic Hate - 09.01.2014 at 15:09
As the music on the album is bowing more towards the 'old' Sonata, meaning more power metal style elements and wolves... seems rather interesting after the generic Stones Grow Her Name.
kains - 09.01.2014 at 15:11
I just hope this will be worth my time, money and excitement. Sonata Arctica have been quite a disappointment since Unia.
BynersA7X - 09.01.2014 at 15:13
Whoa, they're on fire.
Shorlack - 09.01.2014 at 15:25
Best way to start a new year... Can't ask for more! Great artwork, amazing old logo, promising Tony's words...
FeskarN - 09.01.2014 at 15:34
Yeah, this sounds very promising! The artwork is really cool and I hope that this is really a return to more of the older sound they once had. I hope it won't be another letdown after all..
HitokiriNate85 - 09.01.2014 at 16:42
Ahhh, really excited to hear this. I found "Stones..." to be disappointing and the first SA album I just didn't enjoy, and that was after really liking Unia and Grays.
SexyCat_1113 - 09.01.2014 at 17:51
So fucking magnificent news!! Old logo and classic powerful means SA will be back this time!!!
BlankFile - 09.01.2014 at 17:59
Im really looking forward to this one, hoping to ear some "old" Sonata.
Dark†SymphonY - 09.01.2014 at 18:09
Didn't band attempt to return to their old sound on Days Of Grays, but this one looks promising.
The Shape 1973 - 09.01.2014 at 20:53
What everybody else says.

I will believe it when I hear it.
Mountain King - 09.01.2014 at 22:30
I want another "Sing In SIlence", "Destruction Preventer", "The Cage"... The kind of songs that made me love this band so much. I Don't mind change but Power Metal is the best so I hope they go back to the first 3 albums...
Gopherhawk - 10.01.2014 at 00:58
I want it, but it better not suck dick.
ChildofHorus - 10.01.2014 at 03:20
As this band was my first favorite metal band and remained the only metalband I listened to for a year until I checked other bands (yeah craziness), I'll just continue checking them out. I really loved Unia, the second last album is nice, but not excellent and the last one is simply not my thing.
I don't care what they make, power metal is deff not my area of music anymore. But if they make something that made me listen to them at the first place like a crazy maniac (songs with this crazy sentimental sound like Broken or Gravenimage), I'll be happy. Else I just hope they get a good response from fans, whether they are old fans or new fans. I don't like complaining about what direction a band goes, it's just simply their choice.
Nice cover. I love the theme and the colour scheme, but the wolf looks a bit strange imo.
DragonSavior X10 - 10.01.2014 at 03:22
I keep telling myself not to get excited, but every time I hear about this album, it seems better and better. I hope this is finally the comeback album.
Mattybu - 10.01.2014 at 03:45
Written by ChildofHorus on 10.01.2014 at 03:20

I love the theme and the colour scheme, but the wolf looks a bit strange imo.

Honestly, with the wolf looking how it is I bet I would like it more if it was out of the cover altogether.
Empyror - 10.01.2014 at 13:25
Written by Joodicator on 09.01.2014 at 14:56

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

You cannot fathom how excited I am.

Yep, That's where I'm at.
Joodicator - 10.01.2014 at 15:44
Written by Mattybu on 10.01.2014 at 03:45

Come to think of it, I feel like I've seen this exact icy scene somewhere before, maybe on a Nightwish shirt or something.
Mattybu - 10.01.2014 at 20:01
Written by Joodicator on 10.01.2014 at 15:44

Probably something similar, I would be kind of surprised if it was like some public domain icey image and Sonata Arctica just slapped their logo and a wolf over it.

Also, since I thought the wolf was out of place, I now actually read the paragraph about the album and apparently the wolf is of thematic importance, so my suggestion to improve it would be to kind of make a wolf cloud silhouette in the background, but more of a howling pose than a "pet cat staring at their owner flicking their bean" pose. That way it would be a bit grandiose (appropriately cheesy) and a little more "spiritual" feeling. Just my thoughts anyways.
Joodicator - 10.01.2014 at 22:01
Written by Mattybu on 10.01.2014 at 20:01
but more of a howling pose

I feel like they've already been down that avenue. http://www.arisemetal.net/a_images/53/sonata%20artica%20the%20last%20amazing%20grays.jpg
/mayormaynotownthisshirt
Mattybu - 10.01.2014 at 22:13
Written by Joodicator on 10.01.2014 at 22:01

Written by Mattybu on 10.01.2014 at 20:01
but more of a howling pose

/mayormaynotownthisshirt

Ahhh. I am certainly only a cursory listener of this band (I recall listening to some tracks/albums on youtube long ago and liking them but never revisiting) so I didn't really know that... nice shirt though
Joodicator - 10.01.2014 at 22:26
Written by Mattybu on 10.01.2014 at 22:13

Thank you. It gets me all the ladies.
Array - 10.01.2014 at 23:24
I have to admit that these little visual changes makes things more exciting, at least it's a lot better than just a brown cover with not much to tell. Yea..

Another positive point is that Tony isn't telling stories of how he enjoys country music etc. Could be good.
mikeprado30 - 11.01.2014 at 06:49
I hope that will come the TRUE follow-up for Winterheart's Guild (my favorite album from them). They lost greatly their essence with Stones Grow Her Name (one of the worst european metal albums I've ever heard).
Azarath - 11.01.2014 at 08:56
"more power metal", old logo, a Wolf & Raven on the cover...

It feels a bit forced, like they are desperate to appeal to the power metal fans, which may very well cause said fans to have unrealistic expectations. I like the cover, but who really cares that much about a logo anyway?

But of course I'll pick it up.
morwen - 12.01.2014 at 12:35
Written by Azarath on 11.01.2014 at 08:56

"more power metal", old logo, a Wolf & Raven on the cover...

I almost fainted when I saw the old logo. But then I remembered Tony said they wouldn't return to their classic speed style, so it looks kinda forced to me too. I hope there's no false expectation anymore, like Flag on the Ground, which had nothing to do with the rest of the album (The Days of Grays).

I'll be waiting impatiently!!
Zadion - 12.01.2014 at 15:08
This sounds really promising, actually. It looks like Tony realized what a disaster SGHN was. Here's to hoping for something more similar to TDoG.
R Lewis - 12.01.2014 at 23:47
Written by Joodicator on 10.01.2014 at 22:26

Thank you. It gets me all the ladies.

I also got it. Never brought me ladies.

News Sonata Arctica - Reveal New Album Details 10.5 20.02.2012 by !J.O.O.E.!
News Sonata Arctica - New Single Details, Headlining Kivenlahti Rock 2014 9 22.03.2014 by mikeprado30
News Sonata Artica Guitarist - To Release New Solo Album 9 30.04.2009 by Janne