And the title of the upcoming Opeth album is... Pale Communion! Roadrunner Records just unveiled the fact that the album will hit the stores worldwide on June 17th. Among other things, now we know that Pale Communion was produced by bandleader Mikael Åkerfeldt and mixed by longtime collaborator and Porcupine Tree frontman/guitarist Steven Wilson.

The lead single off the album will be "Cusp Of Eternity", available for pre-order starting Tuesday, May 6th. Mikael Åkerfeldt stated: "I wanted to do something more melodic with this album... there's stronger vocal melodies and more melodies overall... I was pretty consistent with that frame of mind throughout the writing process."

The tracklist for Pale Communion reads as follows:

01. Eternal Rains Will Come
02. Cusp Of Eternity
03. Moon Above, Sun Below
04. Elysian Woes
05. Goblin
06. River
07. Voice Of Treason
08. Faith in Others

Do you have a good feeling about this? New music and the album artwork should be unveiled soon.

Mikael Åkerfeldt

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Opeth

Posted: 08.04.2014 by R Lewis

Comments

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: [1] 2

Alondate - 08.04.2014 at 18:53
I will check this for goblin
BloodTears - 08.04.2014 at 18:54
Title is cool. Still hoping for something good. I'm pretty sure it will surprise me in some way as I'm not expecting anything in particular other than good music.
♥Insomnium - 08.04.2014 at 18:54
This album will progressive rock too?
bazinko - 08.04.2014 at 18:56
Pale Communion.... Bass Communion... Steven Wilson. Coincidence? Regardless, I cannot wait for this! June isn't even that far away. Opeth never disappoint!
Marcel Hubregtse - 08.04.2014 at 19:00
Steven Wilson will once again turn something into something turdlike. Reversed midas touch that guy has when it comes to producing.
Dentura - 08.04.2014 at 19:19
All looks quite promising. Looking forward to seeing the artwork and hearing some samples.
whatsacow - 08.04.2014 at 19:21
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2014 at 19:00

What do you mean? Either back it up or you're just being controversial for the sake of it. I mean the Opeth albums he produced were far from my favourites, but that was due to Opeth's music rather than Steve's production.
Marcel Hubregtse - 08.04.2014 at 19:23
Written by whatsacow on 08.04.2014 at 19:21

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2014 at 19:00

Lie all produces he also meddled with the songwriting (especially on the last huge turd of an album) Had he only engineered the album there would have been no problem. But the Guy's become an extra member of the band.
mz - 08.04.2014 at 19:25
I adore SW's producing ability when it comes to PT but his collabiration with opeth was not good. I love albums opeth have done with him, but a little less clear production whould have suited more.
Unhealer - 08.04.2014 at 19:33
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2014 at 19:23

He only mixed this album, production was only handled by Mikael according to the article.
whatsacow - 08.04.2014 at 19:34
Fair enough, but I'd like to point out while Opeth's last album was shit, Wilson also produced Blackwater Park, Damnation, and Deliverance. They're all great albums. In my opinion they aren't as good a MAYH, Still Life or Ghost Reveries, but they're still pretty darn decent.
Uldreth - 08.04.2014 at 19:35
I liked Heritage more than Watershed and Deliverance tbh.

Also I seem to remember an article that had info from some contact of the band that there were no harsh vocals on the album but is more varied and less wanky compared to Heritage, unfortunately I cannot find that article...
Marcel Hubregtse - 08.04.2014 at 19:36
Written by whatsacow on 08.04.2014 at 19:34

Only Blackwater Park was great to good in my book. But after BWPP it has gone downhill fast. Even when Wilson only mixes stuff he makes it sound way to sterile.
!J.O.O.E.! - 08.04.2014 at 19:37
Written by Uldreth on 08.04.2014 at 19:35

Uldreth - 08.04.2014 at 19:46
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 08.04.2014 at 19:37

Written by Uldreth on 08.04.2014 at 19:35

Yup, that one.

Tbh I don't mind his worship of and comparing to Damnation and Ghost Reveries. Those two are my favourite post-Morningrise Opeth albums.
Lethrokai - 08.04.2014 at 20:34
Steven Wilson's words on the album:

"The new Opeth album Pale Communion was mixed into stereo and 5.1 at my studio in February. I also sang harmony vocals. It's by no stretch of the imagination a metal record but it's still plenty heavy and a great piece of work - for me the epic orchestrated ballad "Faith in Others" that closes the album is Mikael Åkerfeldt's finest achievement to date."

Your thoughts?
Lit. - 08.04.2014 at 20:37
Written by Lethrokai on 08.04.2014 at 20:34

Your thoughts?

Not positive.
Hex_Omega - 08.04.2014 at 20:57
Progressive Rock or Progressive Metal, I don't care. Generally I don't care about Opeth right now... I really like Heritage though. I'm pretty sure that Pale Communion will be a good album but I'm just not in a right 'mood' for Opeth music. I was a huge fan of Opeth in 2008 (you can see that ) but nowadays I'm not interested in their music that much.
Cynic Metalhead - 08.04.2014 at 21:01
Why they didn't rename title to Pale Melodic?!

Anyway, I'll check out this album for the sake of "checking" it out. Last output was satisfactory but it had decent songs. No hopes loaned on this record.
Opethian - 08.04.2014 at 21:23
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2014 at 19:36

Written by whatsacow on 08.04.2014 at 19:34

What are you trying to prove by commenting on here? Denial written all over you pal lol
Opethian - 08.04.2014 at 21:24
Stoked for this. Sounds a lot more promising then Heritage. BRING IT!!!
advent - 08.04.2014 at 21:25
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2014 at 19:23

Written by whatsacow on 08.04.2014 at 19:21

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2014 at 19:00

well he also responsible for me for turning Mikael into lame 70's prog fan, this guy affects his music taste if u ask me!
The Galactican - 08.04.2014 at 21:25
I like the fact that there will be a focus on lots of melody with this record. Not something I need in all my music by any means, but I think that's an area Opeth and Åkerfeldt have really excelled, and it's something that was lacking for me with Heritage.
Fallen Ghost - 08.04.2014 at 23:26
Just hope that this won't be a Heritage II. It will contain no death vocals, which disappoints me.. But also, I read that someone compared this to Ghost Reveries and Damnation. So this COULD turn out to be something amazing after all!
LascaillesShroud - 08.04.2014 at 23:51
I am excited for this whichever way they go. I was sold on Heritage from the start.
SleepFan - 09.04.2014 at 00:04
I really hope the production sounds like what Heritage sounded like live.
BloodJuNkie - 09.04.2014 at 00:17
Written by ♥Insomnium on 08.04.2014 at 18:54

This album will progressive rock too?

A little bit heavier than the previous release, but no harsh vocals!
Teravolt_Danny - 09.04.2014 at 01:37
I personally don't care if there are harsh vox or not. Heaven forbid a metal band doesn't use them. It's not like these guys are Cannibal Corpse.
Hallford9000 - 09.04.2014 at 01:37
Quote:

Well, mixing can change how an album sounds drastically. But Steven Wilson was always an hit or miss to me when it comes to mixing. Hey either makes it sounding weird or interesting, never fully balanced, which can be a good thing...
Dima - 09.04.2014 at 02:19
Sky moon above, sun below the hearth ;3
deadone - 09.04.2014 at 02:31
Written by Opethian on 08.04.2014 at 21:24

Stoked for this. Sounds a lot more promising then Heritage. BRING IT!!!

If Mikael's earlier comments about heavier ring true, then I agree.

I'm hoping for proggy NWOBHM personally.
psykometal - 09.04.2014 at 05:14
@All you going on about Opeth still being a metal band but with no harsh vocals... Y'all must have missed this post.
Quote:
Steven Wilson's words on the album:

So yes, it is a prog ROCK album. No, it is NOT anything close to Metal. Yes, Opeth IS now a prog ROCK band, NO LONGER a metal band. No, the album will NOT sound anything like NWOBHM.

Hope this helps clear the apparently foggy air a little bit for everybody.
deadone - 09.04.2014 at 05:20
Epic and orchaestrated puts me off instantly.
psykometal - 09.04.2014 at 05:27
Written by deadone on 09.04.2014 at 05:20

Epic and orchaestrated puts me off instantly.

Opeth not playing Opeth anymore puts me off. Like, they should just "disband" Opeth, and "reform" under a new name. Would make me, and probably a whole lot more of their fans, feel a whole lot better about the whole thing if they would just change their name.

Same with COB, I'd feel much better about all their post-HCDR music if they would just change their name, then re-release all the post-HCDR albums with new artwork and the new name and font.
Troy Killjoy - 09.04.2014 at 05:52
Written by psykometal on 09.04.2014 at 05:14
Hope this helps clear the apparently foggy air a little bit for everybody.

You can beat people over the head with with information but they'll see what they wanna see.
psykometal - 09.04.2014 at 05:55
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.04.2014 at 05:52

I know. I just wanted to be the asshole who was going out of his way to burst everybody's proverbial bubbles.
deadone - 09.04.2014 at 06:28
Written by psykometal on 09.04.2014 at 05:27

]

Lot of bands are like that though - from Metallica on!

Quote:

New one is back to CoB though.
deadone - 09.04.2014 at 06:33
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2014 at 19:00

Mikael seems enamoured with him.

Maybe they're bumming each other?
psykometal - 09.04.2014 at 06:39
Written by deadone on 09.04.2014 at 06:28

New one is back to CoB though.

It's a familiar step in the right direction, now let's see how the next album plays out.

We better get back on track before I start getting dirty looks for meandering too far off topic.

"Stay on target. Stay on target."

I honestly still haven't bothered to listen to Heritage, which is why I haven't actually commented any specific issues for or against their new style beyond expressing a general discontent with the notion of no more prog melodeath style. *shrug*
Jaeryd17‍ - 09.04.2014 at 07:18
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2014 at 19:36

If you're referring to the production sound of Deliverance (which I agree was kinda bad) I'm pretty sure that's more due to the shitty original recordings, which Wilson was brought on board to fix, even though they were nearly done with the recording process already. In most interview/bonus footage you can watch, Akerfeldt blames the bad sound not on Steven's production, but on the fact that the band didn't rehearse the material at all before entering the studio (if I'm not mistaken, it wasn't even fully written).

In my opinion, he did an excellent job on Blackwater Park, which sounds a bit sterile, sure, but it sounds fantastically cold in a way that chills to the bone.

If, by chance, you're referring to the overly-sterile production of Ghost Reveries or Watershed (which I think is okay, all in all, just not as interesting as a rawer production would've been), he didn't do those ones at all. He wasn't even involved with them, as he was touring with PT during the recording of those albums.
mz - 09.04.2014 at 09:45
Written by psykometal on 09.04.2014 at 05:27

100% agreed. Like what Chuck did to death, opeth should have been disbanded.
!J.O.O.E.! - 09.04.2014 at 12:56
Written by psykometal on 09.04.2014 at 05:27

But why does changing the name above the music change the way you feel about the music itself I think this says more about people than it does about Opeth or any band. That people will change their opinions entirely based on a few characters of text is quite worrying to be honest and kind of shows how shallow a person is. It's therefore an issue with the listener, not the band.

Heritage would still be as meh, and new CoB just as crappy to me under any other name.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

The inverse is true: shit under any band name will still be shit
psykometal - 09.04.2014 at 14:48
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 09.04.2014 at 12:56

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

The inverse is true: shit under any band name will still be shit

It's a psychological thing. The music style expectation is associated to the band name, so when that style changes so radically, an automatic negative bias against it is created. Notice how many have commented on the Heritage page that at first they hated it, but have come to accept and enjoy it years later. I bet if that album was released as Åkerfeldt solo material, where there wouldn't necessarily be any biased expectation of Opeth's classic prog melodeath sound, it would not have been so negatively received initially.

Sure people like you would probably still hate it, but you're a lot more open-minded about music and band style evolution than the average listener. But then again, you may also have viewed the music differently if it was not released under the Opeth name. You'll probably claim you wouldn't, but nobody knows really knows for sure, and there's no real way to prove it unless I could go back in time and convince Mikey to release it as solo material. Psychology is very interesting in this respect.
!J.O.O.E.! - 09.04.2014 at 14:54
Written by psykometal on 09.04.2014 at 14:48

It's possible, but I find it hard to believe it would enjoy something by a band depending on their name. I like sounds and styles. I fully admit I would be drawn to trying something out if I knew a certain artist was associated with a project but the idea of liking something more if it had a different name, despite knowing it's by the same person, it's an odd concept to me.

I also know cover art can influence how I perceive the music in a small way, but probably not that significantly (though I will much more likely check out something if it has nice art, but then that's because I think there is a correlation with art and music quality much of the time.)
BlankFile - 09.04.2014 at 16:57
Can´t wait to ear this one.
psykometal - 09.04.2014 at 17:49
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 09.04.2014 at 14:54

Well, let's try to create some perspective for you; may or may not be possible for you since you're so open-minded.

Mories, a man with multiple projects for his different musical personalities. Let's say Mories decides he wants to write a total radio rock album, something totally out of left field from what's expected of the seemingly infallible Mories.

Would you prefer A) he release said album under a new project name (thus maintaining the expectations of the name he's given to each of his musical personalities, and creating a new musical personality expectation) , or B) release it under one of his current project names (thus radically altering the stylistic expectations of whatever current personality/name he chose to release it under)?
Troy Killjoy - 09.04.2014 at 17:56
Musicians write what they want to write. Why should they have to go through the hassle of forming a completely different side project just because you can't differentiate between good and bad without the help of a separate moniker? Seems a bit selfish coming from "fans" to assume bands have to change their name whenever they happen to take their sound in another direction.
!J.O.O.E.! - 09.04.2014 at 17:58
Written by psykometal on 09.04.2014 at 17:49

I could objectively say that it's an odd decision on his part to release such an album under one of the current monikers because he's already established himself as an artist that segregates different styles under different names, however my judgement of quality wouldn't be altered so much. If he released something awful and put it under the GTT name I wouldn't like it more or less than if it had its own name. I've no issue calling bands I love out on releasing rubbish, and I often appreciate side projects they do, and vice-versa.

So, to answer your question I would prefer he make a separate project but that's for convenience sake, rather than wanting it to overcome my expectations.

Mories is somewhat of a bad example as fans of his tend to expect experimentation and surprises; his projects occasionally overlap and tend to offer something new on each record.
psykometal - 09.04.2014 at 18:15
@Joe Fair enough.

@Troy Because that's what being a fan is all about, right? Expecting bands to conform to the will of the fans, instead of having their own agenda. Bands are supposed to cater to theirs fans, and when they don't, they're just downright selfish pricks. Gah. Figured you would know this kind of stuff by now. >.>
Erik M. - 09.04.2014 at 20:42
Written by bazinko on 08.04.2014 at 18:56

Opeth never disappoint!

They don't disappoint? Heritage sure was a disappointment to me and many others.

Looking forward to this album nonetheless. At the very least it must be better than Heritage. I'm not really expecting a masterpiece such as Blackwater Park from them. Those days are long gone.

Pages: [1] 2

News Devolved - New Album Title And Tracklist Revealed 10 15.07.2012 by Machiavelli
News Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - New Album Title And Tracklist Revealed 10 13.11.2012 by Fallen Ghost
News Dagoba - New Album Title And Tracklist Revealed 10 02.01.2013 by BudDa
News Bilocate - New Album Title And Tracklist Revealed 10 11.11.2011 by JD
News Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - New Album Title And Tracklist Revealed 10 31.01.2012 by LeChron James