After revealing Alissa White-Gluz as the band's new singer and unveiling the new song "War Eternal", melodic death metallers Arch Enemy have released today another new song and lyric video from the upcoming album War Eternal. This song is called "As The Pages Burn" and you can give it a listen down here. Another new track and a new opportunity to hear new material. Why complain? Enjoy it and give us your impressions.

The anticipated release of War Eternal is set for June 9th in Europe and June 10th in North America on Century Media Records.

Guitarist Michael Amott comments: "'As The Pages Burn' almost goes back to the style of writing that I had in the late 90's. It's very old school Arch Enemy with an almost Slayer-vibe in the intro/verse and a huge melodic chorus. A bit like 'The Immortal' and other AE classics of that time. The middle section is very classical music inspired - a twin guitar part that is a lot fun to play. Alissa wrote the lyrics for the song. This song is an example of what I love about collaborating - in the songwriting, I'm giving her the instrumental, and she comes from a different background, and the two different approaches merge together to form a very interesting result that blew my mind. It's one of my favorite tracks on the album."

Front-woman Alissa White-Gluz adds: "'As The Pages Burn' is also one of my favorite songs. I think it's going to be a very fun song to perform live. I really like fast-paced, energetic songs. A lot of the lyrics on the album are coming straight from my brain during sleepless nights. I often wake up in the middle of the night from horrible nightmares and just start writing songs. For whatever reason, I like the lyrics that I get that way, they feel real and uncensored. This song is one that I wrote at 4am in the dark, half asleep. In the morning I woke up and thought, 'This is cool, I'm going to use this, and I know just the music to put it to'. The musical dynamics in the song are very satisfying to sing to as well. I hope you like it!"

Tracklist:

01. Tempore Nihil Sanat (Prelude in F minor)
02. Never Forgive, Never Forget
13. Not Long For This World

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Arch Enemy

Posted: 28.04.2014 by BloodJuNkie

Comments

ANGEL REAPER - 28.04.2014 at 20:36
Well that is better than Khaos Legions .... im curious now ...
theFIST - 28.04.2014 at 21:30
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 28.04.2014 at 20:36

Well that is better than Khaos Legions .... im curious now ...

not a high standard, but yeah, this does sound interesting
Dedcalm - 28.04.2014 at 22:14
Love the song. Vid not helpful. Moves to much. Cant read a word.
the_scarecrow - 28.04.2014 at 22:52
I think Alissa's style of writing has given the band a new freshness, which is what they were in dire need of.
As much as I do enjoy them, Angela and Michael's whole "battle and war cry" themes are getting rather stale.
Reaper_Redeamer - 28.04.2014 at 23:25

Safely continuing the bad stuff..
Sword_Chant - 28.04.2014 at 23:56
Sounds excellent to me! Loving the guitar work.
ManiacBlasphemer - 29.04.2014 at 00:42
This song sounds more inspiring than the entire Khaos Legion album. I'm expecting big things from these guys in this formula.
visiblenoise - 29.04.2014 at 01:42
I dunno, maybe it's just me who has changed, but...Arch Enemy used to be one of my favorites, even when they released Rise of the Tyrant. I find this song just okay.
deadone - 29.04.2014 at 02:18
To be honest I don't hear a the difference between this and the latter half of Khaos Legions or most of the Gassow era in terms of sound and style. There's a few Liiva era style guitar hooks but it's still very much a modern AE song.

Oh and don't like the new vocalist, but then I never thought much of Gassow. White-Gluz does a reasonable Gassow impression but her more Metalcore stylings are generic.

As for whether I liked the song, it's typical AE in my opinion. Nothing special and certainly not even close to the Liiva era in terms of energy and vibe. Production is still the biggest bugbear - it's too sterile.

Just my $0.02.
BloodTears - 29.04.2014 at 11:19
Still optimistic about the new album. What I like the most about this song is the guitar work. Still getting used to Alissa being in the band.
Angelic Storm - 29.04.2014 at 12:22
Musically, this song is actually very good, but the vocals are not powerful enough to carry the song to where it needs to be. Alissa's vocals are too thin, and whiny, and lack the ferocity and authority that Angela had at her best. If this song had the vocals of Angela at her best, or the voice of Johan Liiva, it would be great. As it is, the song falls flat, despite some nice melodies, and a scathing main riff. Alissa's abilities as a death metal vocalist are extremely limited, and her delivery lacks any real venom, or punch. Disappointing, to be sure.
BloodJuNkie - 29.04.2014 at 12:59
This album will be a great come back to Arch Enemy. I liked Khaos Legions but this album will be better!
immortal78 - 29.04.2014 at 18:11
New vocal, refreshed style and something that havent been yet. Mighty and melodic
AngelofDeth - 30.04.2014 at 01:30
Another mediocre song from AE... Also vox on the chorus are absolutely terrible but at least Alissa's lyrics are pretty damn good.
slayerules - 30.04.2014 at 01:46
Not bad, good riffing at least. I think they released their best albums years ago but this one sounds promising.
deadone - 30.04.2014 at 01:55
I think if they got ol' man Liiva back in and then all rolled around in mud and industrial sludge whilst listening to Repulsion for a bit to get inspiration for how to produce an album, the album would be awesome!

Anyhow I don't think I'll be getting this as I already own a couple of average AE albums (Khaos Legions, Doomsday Machine) and don't need anymore.
hidden_ninja - 30.04.2014 at 08:49
Angela's anarchistic world-view writing made the aggressive feelings in Arch Enemy genuine, this new singer however, does not feel genuine - it just feels aggressive.

I'm sure many will like that though, but not me.
HellriderRising - 01.05.2014 at 20:47
Fortunately, the chorus saves the situation.

News Arch Enemy - New Song And Album Trailer Online 10.5 08.05.2011 by Deadmeat
News Arch Enemy - Debut Video For New Song 10.5 20.03.2014 by !J.O.O.E.!
News The Agonist - New Song And Lyric Video Released 10 22.03.2014 by WorpeX
News Deathstars - Lyric Video For New Song Released 8.5 06.06.2014 by BlackEssence
News Belphegor - Lyric Video For New Song Released 8.5 25.06.2014 by Lokaeda