Opeth have officially premiered their brand new single today. This is the first taste you'll have of their forthcoming new album Pale Communion. The album pre-orders begin tomorrow. For now, you can listen to "Cusp Of Eternity" streaming at this location. Enjoy it, take it all in and then give us your impressions about it.

Pale Communion will come out on August 26th via Roadrunner Records.

Artwork by Travis Smith

Posted: 02.06.2014 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

deadone - 03.06.2014 at 06:27
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.06.2014 at 06:23

Written by deadone on 03.06.2014 at 06:17
I don't understand why people would expect another Ghost Reveries or Blackwater Park though. Opeth has been in a state of change for several albums now.

Man, some people are still expecting Metallica to release another Master of Puppets. Some fans just don't know when to give up hope...

Too true. And even if it was another MoP, they'd call it a cash-in or retreading past glory.
Troy Killjoy - 03.06.2014 at 06:32
Written by deadone on 03.06.2014 at 06:27

Which would be true in this situation too. It's impossible for bands like this to win, which is why you might as well say fuck the fans and put out what you want and just hope the record sales and tours help pay the bills. That's usually what gets bands like Opeth that degree of success in the first place.
Dima - 03.06.2014 at 07:27
Written by Unhealer on 03.06.2014 at 05:54

We have a fair share of cry babies here as well It was obvious this was going to get so many different opinions once again.

I like it; the vocal lines, keyboard and solo are pretty boss. Remember that according to reviews this is the most basic track on the album.

You don't need to read reviews to tell you that it's the most basic song off the album . 99.9% of the time when bands release a single it's the most accessible song off the album. I feel like some of the people crying about this song don't realise this which is a shame.
Unhealer - 03.06.2014 at 07:52
Written by Dima on 03.06.2014 at 07:27

Yeah, but also usually more than one single is released for each album, at least big label albums like this. In fact, we'll have the second single from this album on July
Dima - 03.06.2014 at 08:35
Written by Unhealer on 03.06.2014 at 07:52

Written by Dima on 03.06.2014 at 07:27

Ye, I'm just saying that people are too quick to pass judgement.
Derelict Earth - 03.06.2014 at 11:32
Decent song but a bit underwhelming ... And I really liked Heritage.
Daniell - 03.06.2014 at 12:20
A very good song, assuming you listen to the song, not to your expectations.
Lethrokai - 03.06.2014 at 18:55
Written by deadone on 03.06.2014 at 06:17

Indeed I think they're one of those bands where one should expect the unexpected these days.

Isn't that what Prog is about anyhow?

This. It's one of the reasons I can really appreciate bands like Cynic and Opeth, even if I'm not particularly liking whatever sound they get into sometimes. Personally, I'm not too keen on this song, but I'd much rather Opeth kept experimenting with new sounds instead of just playing rehashed clones of their successful work. Cynic managed to really capture me with their new album, so I still hold hope that Opeth can do the same with Pale Communion. This song's a miss for me, but I doubt it's representative of the album's sound as a whole.
crucifiedjesus - 03.06.2014 at 19:32
Different but so good!!
Kryptonit - 03.06.2014 at 21:01
Pretty "Zzzzzzz.....".
phanto - 03.06.2014 at 22:27
Worst drumming I've heard in a long time. How can this un-tight mess pass production?

This sounds like Opeth doing Oprhaned Land or something... with lagging drums.
Rupert - 03.06.2014 at 23:17
Written by phanto on 03.06.2014 at 22:27

It's called real drumming.
!J.O.O.E.! - 03.06.2014 at 23:18
Written by Rupert on 03.06.2014 at 23:17

It's called real drumming.

indeed.
Shmyt - 04.06.2014 at 10:47
It sounds very Heritage-esque, honestly, I like it. Not Blackwater Park, but pretty damn good.
schlakt - 04.06.2014 at 12:27
I was hooked since first time i heard it! loving the simplicity and Åkerfeldts fantastic vocals
musclassia - 04.06.2014 at 13:07
Sounds more interesting than most of Heritage; haven't listened to it in a while due to my indifference towards it during the first few listens, but I never really felt like Heritage had much real emotional feel to it beyond the 70s prog veneer. However, this track is a lot easier to warm to. To be honest, it brings Amorphis to mind quite a bit, at least instrumentally. I'm not entirely convinced by the production; more at the beginning I guess, but it sounded a bit muted, especially as the backdrop for the dramatic vocals. Nowhere near a classic Opeth song, but hopefully there'll be better standout pieces on the album - this is a perfectly decent album track at least.
mz - 04.06.2014 at 14:35
Written by seafood on 02.06.2014 at 23:36

I love how that review is still being referenced.

The good thing is that the guy took my words seriously
Erik M. - 04.06.2014 at 23:36
Good song. If the whole album is like this song quality-wise it'll be better than Heritage... and still inferior to pretty much every other Opeth album released so far.
!J.O.O.E.! - 04.06.2014 at 23:37
Written by Erik M. on 04.06.2014 at 23:36

Good song. If the whole album is like this song quality-wise it'll be better than Heritage... and still inferior to pretty much every other Opeth album.

I just heard the new leaked one and it's miles below the quality of this release. Boring build up, iffy vocals and generally quite filler-y. I was excited after the first track but the new one has deflated my expectations somewhat.
Michaelgpc - 05.06.2014 at 00:30
Oh oh, it sounds like Akerfeldt is continuing with the whole retro thing. This item sounds like a mish mash of Led Zeppelin and other proggy bands from the 70s. And just like Heritage, this style of music exposes Akerfeldt's vocals as pretty weak to my ears. It doesn't augur well...
maged918 - 05.06.2014 at 11:55
Not bad to be honest.
BloodJuNkie - 05.06.2014 at 16:48
*cough cough*

Erik M. - 06.06.2014 at 23:01
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 04.06.2014 at 23:37

Just listened to it. Couldn't find it yesterday when I read it was leaked. I agree that Cusp of Eternity is a lot better and even that one didn't amaze me by any means. Yeah, this one was pretty boring and generic sounding. Aren't progressive bands supposed to be, you know, progressive? All Opeth is now is a shadow of their own selves, back when they made brilliant progressive metal instead of generic boring progressive rock. I'm going to judge the album when I've fully heard it, but so far I'm very underwhelmed, especially by Eternal Rains Will Come. I'm amazed by the fact that everyone in the comments (Youtube) seems to love it. Blind fanboys, maybe?
!J.O.O.E.! - 06.06.2014 at 23:04
Written by Erik M. on 06.06.2014 at 23:01

I think Opeth fanboys just want something that sounds complicated, regardless of whether or not it's good. I'd be happy with a straightforward album if it had some nice melodies and a bit of atmosphere ( )
Erik M. - 06.06.2014 at 23:04
Written by Michaelgpc on 05.06.2014 at 00:30

100% agreed. His vocals surely sound boring and generic now. Not saying he necessarily needs to do growls (though that would surely be a good thing), but I can't help but feel no emotion has gone into the vocals. Yes, the word "boring" suits his vocals best I'd say.
Erik M. - 06.06.2014 at 23:09
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 06.06.2014 at 23:04

I don't know... for me Watershed marked the beginning of their regression. Great album without a doubt, but still one of my least favourites (see my best to worst list ). For some reason their music isn't really clicking with me like all their previous albums did. No matter how bad Opeth becomes, I'll always love almost all of their records. They're all special to me as they remind me of certain periods when I listened to them (past 9 years, as I discovered them in 2005 and also saw them live in 013 back then with their Ghost Reveries tour... seeing/hearing The Baying of the Hounds is something I'll never forgot).
Jeeers - 08.06.2014 at 11:43
Total borefest.

Pages: 1 [2]

News Dew-Scented - Premiere New Single, Unveil New Album Tracklist 5.5 05.06.2012 by Storchillarn
News Within Temptation - Premiere New Video And Single 5.5 27.09.2013 by DeepBlueSea
News Arrow Haze - Exclusive Premiere: New Single 5.5 20.09.2013 by Monolithic
News Rhapsody Of Fire - Premiere Another New Song 4 20.11.2013 by The Shape 1973
News AC/DC - New Single Available For Streaming 4 28.08.2008 by