The Swedes At The Gates are finally beginning the recording sessions for their much anticipated comeback studio album. In the classic line-up of their latest masterpiece, Slaughter Of The Soul (1995), At The Gates have just wrapped up pre-production work for their new material and are about to commence the recording sessions for the upcoming At War With Reality album in the next few days. Below you can also watch a video message from vocalist Tomas Lindberg revealing further details about the upcoming recording sessions.

The band hasn't released a new album in almost two decades. So, yes, no pressure!

At The Gates checked in with the following update via guitarist Anders Björler: "So, things are getting closer to the recording of At War With Reality. We are currently rehearsing and putting the final touches to all the songs. This album is turning into a monster. It's all coming together in a very satisfying way. Stay tuned for some studio updates in June/July".

Festivals 2014:

17.12.2014 - Munich (Germany - Backstage Werk
18.12.2014 - Antwerp (Belgium) - Trix
19.12.2014 - Cologne (Germany) - Essigfabrik
20.12.2014 - Berlin (Germany) - Postbahnhof

At The Gates + Bloodshot Dawn:
31.01.2015 Dublin (Ireland) - Academy

More details about the new album At War With Reality will be unveiled soon.

Source: centurymedia.com
Band profile: At The Gates

Posted: 16.06.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

ArcesseEum - 16.06.2014 at 19:44
I'm ambivalent... on one hand I have great hope, on the other, I'm very skeptical that this will live up to the standards of their old material. I'm 100% sure this will be no modern 'Gardens of Grief.'
Absak - 16.06.2014 at 20:28
It will most definitely be like Slaughter of the Soul, that style has a lot more mass appeal.
JayMo4 - 16.06.2014 at 23:57
Hey, never know... maybe they'll pull a Carcass and it'll be amazing.
Ilham - 17.06.2014 at 00:53
My mom's going to be happy. But that means rides in the car might become irritating if I don't find as good as Slaughter Of The Soul.
deadone - 17.06.2014 at 02:05
Written by JayMo4 on 16.06.2014 at 23:57

Hey, never know... maybe they'll pull a Carcass and it'll be amazing.

Finger's crossed!
AngelofDeth - 17.06.2014 at 03:17
Quote:

Not to mention there last album was/is one of the most famous melodeath albums of all time... lol

Really hoping it's good, At the Gates is an awesome band.
Marcel Hubregtse - 17.06.2014 at 03:34
Written by JayMo4 on 16.06.2014 at 23:57

Hey, never know... maybe they'll pull a Carcass and it'll be amazing.

Since when was Surgical Steel amazing? Not in my and loads of other people's books. That album was total averageness reincarnated.
deadone - 17.06.2014 at 03:38
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.06.2014 at 03:34

Written by JayMo4 on 16.06.2014 at 23:57

Hey, never know... maybe they'll pull a Carcass and it'll be amazing.

I loved that album. It's up there with Necroticism in my book!

And it certainly won over a lot of critics and metal journos.

Also the vast majority of metaldom who do know who At The Gates are seem to prefer Slaughter of the Soul over earlier releases.
Marcel Hubregtse - 17.06.2014 at 03:39
Written by deadone on 17.06.2014 at 03:38

And it certainly won over a lot of critics and metal journos.

Yep the fanboys and deaf ones
Lehctim - 17.06.2014 at 04:03
Surgical Steel got an 8.5 on this website I'd say that's pretty damn good
Verdun_sc - 17.06.2014 at 07:03
Unfortunately there's no way it'll be anywhere near TRITSIO. While nothing theyve done is bad, nothing theyve done even comes close to that record either.
deadone - 17.06.2014 at 07:46
Written by Verdun_sc on 17.06.2014 at 07:03

...there's no way it'll be anywhere near TRITSIO.

Thank the Heavy Metal Gods if that is indeed the case!
Marcel Hubregtse - 17.06.2014 at 13:30
Written by Verdun_sc on 17.06.2014 at 07:03

Unfortunately you are totally right. TRITSIO is on a greatness level of its own when compaered to anything they released afterwards. It truly is by far the best thing they ever recorded.
Alex Fenger - 17.06.2014 at 18:08
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.06.2014 at 13:30

TRITSIO is a death metal masterpiece. No one should expect a comeback album from At The Gates to be anywhere near the quality of that. On the other hand, I am interested to see how this turns out, as I don't believe ATG ever recorded anything mediocre (although Slaughter of the Soul does come close at some points). Terminal Spirit Disease V2.0 would be nice, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
!J.O.O.E.! - 17.06.2014 at 18:12
Terminal Spirit Disease, with an actual full album of proper songs this time, would be nice indeed
JayMo4 - 17.06.2014 at 18:44
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.06.2014 at 03:34

I've never been one to confuse my opinion with the mainstream, although since you mentioned it I'm far from alone in thinking Surgical Steel was very good. Now I don't believe it was Carcass' best, but it was a high quality album after a 17 year hiatus - pretty rare and impressive in my book. Certainly you and "loads of other people" are entitled to disagree, of course.
deadone - 18.06.2014 at 02:21
Written by JayMo4 on 17.06.2014 at 18:44

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.06.2014 at 03:34

From what I've read on other sites and even on this forum, I think Surgical Steel is generally liked by the metal community. There's just a couple of people on Metalstorm that are loud about their dislike of the album (and at least one of them doesn't even appear to be a Carcass fan - no Carcass on his list of top 50 UK DM for example).

But then I'm loud about how average I find early ATG and a lot of people do like it.

As the saying goes each to their own.

News Fractal Gates - To Begin Recording New Album In August 8.5 05.07.2012 by tea[m]ster
News Between The Buried And Me - Begin Recording New Album 8.5 17.05.2012 by infernaldeath87
News The Vision Bleak - Begin Recording New Album Next Week 8.5 16.02.2013 by master666
News One Man Army And The Undead Quartet - Begin Recording New Album 8.5 06.10.2010 by Yojimbo
News The Haunted - Begin Recording New Album 8.5 05.03.2014 by theembryo