After Napalm Death performed through an experimental sculptural sound system that caused the ceramic structures to slowly crack, now London brutal death metallers Unfathomable Ruination will be performing regularly outside the Gherkin in London throughout July and early August and they will be doing so from inside a soundproof box.

The band accepted the challenge of Portuguese artist João Onofre to perform inside this unique performance art piece, Box Sized Die, which is part of the public exhibition Sculpture in the City. Performance times: July 3rd at 6 & 7pm, 4 July-1 August 2014 at 6pm Wednesday-Friday. If you are in town, maybe you can check it out.

"The box is soundproofed, determining and restricting the performance's duration to the length of time in which the oxygen is expended. Outside the cube, viewers observe its strange vibrations, only viewing the band's entrance and exit to the performance space."

So, basically Unfathomable Ruination will be performing until they run out of oxygen. Hopefully, the term "death metal" will not be taken too literally.

© Nick Turpin

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Unfathomable Ruination

Posted: 30.06.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

Lit. - 30.06.2014 at 20:37
Wat?
Ilham - 30.06.2014 at 20:42
Awesome. I love it. Going to check out that thing with Napalm Death.
EDIT: Crap. That was just a live feed.
!J.O.O.E.! - 30.06.2014 at 20:44
Written by Ilham on 30.06.2014 at 20:42
Going to check out that thing with Napalm Death.

i was at that. Was a cool concept but the sound was awful, and it kind of didn't really work in terms of destroying the sculpture, aside from people jumping over the security line and kicking it themselves.

I've seen Unflappable Urination a couple of times. Quite a fun band.
Ilham - 30.06.2014 at 20:49
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.06.2014 at 20:44

I've seen Unflappable Urination a couple of times. Quite a fun band.

Aw. Shame. From what I heard ND can be very inconsistent with the quality of their shows. I saw them twice and it sucked both times.
Reminds me of the models we had to built in architecture that were designed to crumble after a certain amount of pressure but didn't. We discretely threw bricks at them if the teachers weren't looking.

Inflatable Urtication sounds very fun.
!J.O.O.E.! - 30.06.2014 at 20:52
Written by Ilham on 30.06.2014 at 20:49

Inflatable Urtication sounds very fun.

I've seen them a couple of other times too and they probably count amongst my favourite shows of all time

Throwing things is the answer to most problems I find.
LascaillesShroud - 30.06.2014 at 21:49
I understand art doesn't need a point, but this seems like a gimmicky publicity stunt :/
!J.O.O.E.! - 30.06.2014 at 21:55
Written by LascaillesShroud on 30.06.2014 at 21:49

I don't see that as an issue. It's entertaining, and the band gets some publicity. Everyone's a winner. Ultimately though it's about 10,875 times less retarded than this.
Ilham - 30.06.2014 at 22:02
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.06.2014 at 21:55

I had to write very long essays about "worse".
!J.O.O.E.! - 30.06.2014 at 22:07
Written by Ilham on 30.06.2014 at 22:02

I had to write very long essays about "worse".

Sounds horrible. Art's stupidity often annoys me, but then that's probably the whole point.
Ilham - 30.06.2014 at 22:12
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.06.2014 at 22:07

I don't want to sound like a huge elitist contemporary art douche, but most of it unfortunately needs a lot of art knowledge to be understood. And it's made to be like that on purpose. So yes, quite enraging. I personally hate that about it.
!J.O.O.E.! - 30.06.2014 at 22:18
Written by Ilham on 30.06.2014 at 22:12

Sounds just like art film which often require knowledge of the autere via his film making to properly grasp. Pretty much why I don't enjoy most art film.
Ilham - 30.06.2014 at 22:24
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.06.2014 at 22:18

Indeed, I found myself walking out of a movie theatre for the first time in my life because I couldn't take the pretentious shit of an art film. I had more patience during Van Helsing.
!J.O.O.E.! - 30.06.2014 at 22:27
Written by Ilham on 30.06.2014 at 22:24

Ah, Van Helsing. I got through that film by looking at all the pretty people in it and little else.
Ilham - 30.06.2014 at 22:30
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.06.2014 at 22:27

I stayed because I was being friendzoned by the guy I went to the cinema with. I was desperately hoping he'd get jealous of the comments on Hugh Jackman.
!J.O.O.E.! - 30.06.2014 at 22:30
Written by Ilham on 30.06.2014 at 22:30

Probably not one of the better evenings you've ever had then.
Ozman - 30.06.2014 at 22:31
A enough chit chat here, back to Unfathomable Ruination
!J.O.O.E.! - 30.06.2014 at 22:32
Yes, back to Unmemorable Menstruation.
Ilham - 30.06.2014 at 22:34
I should check out Unforeseeable Rumination indeed.
Lit. - 30.06.2014 at 23:19
I'm not sure I'd like Unforeseen Consequences.
Ilham - 30.06.2014 at 23:31
I think you're confusing with Unsnaggable Ramifications.
!J.O.O.E.! - 30.06.2014 at 23:37
Didn't they do a tour with Unpalatable Masturbation?
Mr. Doctor - 30.06.2014 at 23:41
C'mon guys, you are basically asking for it now...

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.06.2014 at 21:55

Hhahahahahaha what the fuck did I just watch. Soooo deep.

Honestly, this thing looks retarded but they get exposure without anyone hearing anything. Interesting.
Ilham - 30.06.2014 at 23:42
Yeah, back when they were called Unadapatable Mommification.
Are we going to get yelled at? I'm sorry Marcel, Joe started it. Take him.
Karlabos - 01.07.2014 at 00:01
Sounds uhh... artistic

But with an 'u' instead of the 'r'
MetalDoomMaster - 01.07.2014 at 07:56
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.06.2014 at 23:37

Didn't they do a tour with Unpalatable Masturbation?

No, I've only done a tour with Uncomfortable Ejaculation.
In all seriousness though, I'd probably rather actually see the band play live instead of a box on the street, but I guess I've never heard the band so that may not be true.
Ilham - 01.07.2014 at 14:44
Written by Mr. Doctor on 30.06.2014 at 23:41

How is that retarded? It's a "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it" kind of experiment. Plenty of artists have worked on the concept of perception by hiding their actual artwork and wondering what the consequences in aesthetics are. It's a central question in contemporary art, and art in general, as we are relentlessly bombarded by visual and musical stimuli.

Nothing to do with music, but this very simple piece by Philippe Ramette (saw it in person) could be compared to what the band will do. What you see in the picture is a resin/polymer statue hidden behind a curtain. It is placed at the end of a long and empty white corridor, and the only thing you see is the feet. You have to get close to find out if it's really a person behind the curtain, or not. When you get closer, you realise there is a small hole in the curtain through which the eye of the statue has been looking at you all along. The curtain is the box; the feet you see from afar are the vibrations you hear coming from the box; and the peephole in the curtain is when you see the band enter and exit the box.

Mr. Doctor - 01.07.2014 at 14:49
Written by Ilham on 01.07.2014 at 14:44

Written by Mr. Doctor on 30.06.2014 at 23:41

It does make more sense under that point of view. I'd give you that. I'm can't say I know much about that kind of art anyways.
I'm liking the stuff from a guy who plays BM with a friggin hammered dulcimer and defended the fact that his music still being metal so who am I to call stuff gimmicky, weird or stupid...
Ilham - 01.07.2014 at 14:58
Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.07.2014 at 14:49

I'm liking a guy who plays BM with a friggin hammered dulcimer so who am I to call stuff gimmicky.

The fact you worship a crazy person and the majestic fail when I talked to you about Francis Bacon (yes I'm going to use that all the time) doesn't give you the right to complain about how weird it is . I personally don't think it's weird at all.
No but seriously, the problem now with people is they react to art like little kids to maths, if they don't get it the first time, they call it stupid. And sometimes you just have to think a little. This is not about you, it's a general statement.
Mr. Doctor - 01.07.2014 at 15:04
Written by Ilham on 01.07.2014 at 14:58

Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.07.2014 at 14:49

Regarding Bacon, I can only say that I recognized the pope series right away but never checked out his name. But yeah my bad.... I'm never gonna live past that, right?
I can get behind the second statement too. It sort of reminds me of John Cage's 4'33'' which is something I at first couldn't get.
After a while reading/listening to some of his thoughts regarding music and sound... I ended up appreciating his thoughts regarding the subject.
Ilham - 01.07.2014 at 15:22
Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.07.2014 at 15:04

I'm just teasing you with the Bacon thing. I just loved the "how does this look like bacon?" part. You recognized the Pie X painting, you are totally absolved of your sins against art.
Oh John Cage, now we're talking. He did a lot of experiments on silence, the absence of public, etc, that could be related to this box thing indeed. He is part of a whole movement, if you want to explore more of the concepts behind what he did in music. The movement is called Fluxus, (even Yoko Ono was part of it) and one of my favourite artists in general and in that branch is Nam June Paik. Go through this, there are a lot of funny performances in there. There's even a Joe Jones performer.
Alex Fenger - 06.07.2014 at 22:23
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.06.2014 at 20:44

IUnflappable Urination

Lol i like that

Albums Unfathomable Ruination - Misshapen Congenital Entropy 4.5 10.06.2013 by Toby
News Bonded By Baloff - Exodus Will Perform At The Tribute Event 2.5 20.12.2011 by Syk
News Darkthrone - Limited Book/Vinyl Box Set Coming In May 2.5 06.04.2014 by LeChron James
News Bethlehem - New Album And Vinyl Box On The Way 2.5 30.08.2014 by Absak