More exciting new album news today this time from Electric Wizard. The doom/stoner metal masters have announced Time To Die as the title of their forthcoming studio album. Time To Die is their eighth full-length and will be the band's first album release since signing a worldwide deal with Spinefarm Records. Another piece of the album's puzzle, the cover artwork, is now revealed and you can feast your eyes on it right now!

Says Electric Wizard founding member, Jus Oborn: "All of our albums in the past have had a theme revenge, drugs, black magick and the theme of this one is death. Of course, death to us really means rebirth, so this album is a manifestation of a very primal occult belief in the final sacrifice. We have gone full circle it was inevitable, but we had to do it. We had to kill the band so we could be reborn. It was the only way to ensure we could come back even stronger."

The artwork was once again created by Oborn, and is an extension of that theme; this is further solidified by the LP gatefold image, which will be revealed soon. Time To Die is due for release later this year.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Electric Wizard

Posted: 01.07.2014 by Demerzel

Comments

mz - 01.07.2014 at 19:19
Yay I like the cover.
Mr. Doctor - 01.07.2014 at 19:21
Bring it on!
!J.O.O.E.! - 01.07.2014 at 19:39
Pretty rubbish cover in all honestly. The concept is ok but it looks like it was drawn by a child. Still though, it's Electric Wizard so will likely be a great album.
Lit. - 01.07.2014 at 19:59
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 01.07.2014 at 19:39

it looks like it was drawn by a child.

What, do you live in Japan or something?
!J.O.O.E.! - 01.07.2014 at 20:01
Written by Lit. on 01.07.2014 at 19:59

What, do you live in Japan or something?

Racist.
Lit. - 01.07.2014 at 20:11
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 01.07.2014 at 20:01

Racist.

Read "What, do you live in a place where the children are so good at drawing this pretty well-drawn cover actually looks like it was drawn by a child to you?"

Yeah, I probably could've worded that better.
!J.O.O.E.! - 01.07.2014 at 20:15
Written by Lit. on 01.07.2014 at 20:11

Yeah, I probably could've worded that better.

It's not that it really looks like it was drawn by a child, it's more that it's horribly rendered; those iffy jagged edges make it look like a bad print out. It's also a bit bland and forgettable.
mz - 01.07.2014 at 20:19
If anything, I prefer this one over the dopethrone. That's one shitty album cover, and shame that it's inserted on such a great record.
SleepFan - 01.07.2014 at 20:32
Written by mz on 01.07.2014 at 20:19

THE FUCK?! Dopethrone's album art is amazing! It's so cool. Time to Die's looks alright, but it looks very similar to Black Masses.

This album is shaping up nicely thus far. I can't wait.
!J.O.O.E.! - 01.07.2014 at 20:44
Written by mz on 01.07.2014 at 20:19

While I don't agree it's amazing, it is iconic, and definitely better than this one. Come My Fanatic and Supercoven are EW's best artworks.
Mr. Doctor - 01.07.2014 at 20:56
"We Live" is friggin dope as well...
Scathach666 - 01.07.2014 at 20:57
Not so good, not so bad
Troy Killjoy - 01.07.2014 at 20:59
I wouldn't mind it as much if they blew it up with a ton of neon colors like the latest Mastodon album. And if I took a hit of acid beforehand.

But neither of those things are happening so I'll take sides with those who think it looks pretty amateurish.
SleepFan - 01.07.2014 at 21:11
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 01.07.2014 at 20:44

Written by mz on 01.07.2014 at 20:19

You know, I actually agree with you on this new cover, the edges are fuzzy like a 1st year graphic design student who just learned how to photoshop or something.
Honestly I think the Electric Wizard self-titled album by far for me has the nicest looking artwork of their discography, but I've always had a thing for the Come My Fanatics...'s cover. Everyone I know loves the Dopethrone cover regardless of if they're fans of EW or not.
SleepFan - 01.07.2014 at 21:14
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.07.2014 at 20:59

Electric WIzard is a bit dark to have such a bright cover though, wouldn't you agree? Maybe something close to Electric Wizard's self-titled cover artwork would be cool again though. That had color and real art that stands out. It's practically a mural or something.
!J.O.O.E.! - 01.07.2014 at 21:15
Written by SleepFan on 01.07.2014 at 21:11

I agree that the s/t album art is great, but my issue is that it looks like it belongs in Cathedral's discography. Just feels a bit out of place amongst the rest of the EW albums. That being said, as a piece of art it's great.

I'm wondering if the final art of this one will look a bit sharper.
Ilham - 01.07.2014 at 21:33
I just wish they all stopped using very ugly fraktur fonts. I like frakturs but there are better ones. And why oh why did the guy use a condensed one on top of that? And also there are other ways of applying text rather than just finding an empty space and go "ooooh I'll put it there without thinking about the way it blends with the rest or having some kind balance between void and text". Why have a great typographic work and idea on "Electric Wizard" and then just put "Time to Die" down there like that?
I hope there is just a definition problem with this pic and that those edges will be smoother later.
Apothecary - 01.07.2014 at 22:38
I'm with Troy on this one, I like the design a lot, but it could've used some more color, black and white with those little traces of red for the eyes is a bit dull.
SleepFan - 02.07.2014 at 00:05
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 01.07.2014 at 21:15

Written by SleepFan on 01.07.2014 at 21:11

I'm wondering if the final art of this one will look a bit sharper.

lol it does look like a Cathedral cover! I never noticed.
I am pretty sure the final image will look much better on the album in person. I'm not too worried. I liked BM enough.
Apothecary - 02.07.2014 at 01:15
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 01.07.2014 at 21:15

Just feels a bit out of place amongst the rest of the EW albums.

This sentence made me for some reason, maybe it was that abbreviation
!J.O.O.E.! - 02.07.2014 at 01:16
Written by Apothecary on 02.07.2014 at 01:15

This sentence made me for some reason, maybe it was that abbreviation

It could look very camp; like an exaggerated "Ewwww!" sorta thing.
Dangerboner - 02.07.2014 at 10:00
Love how evil this looks
Spirit Molecule - 02.07.2014 at 10:30
Haha, the cover is quite shit.

Santos, of Santos Illustration, asked the EW fans to get the band to get in touch with him or at least suggest better artists to EW so that they could get artwork that reflects how good the music is
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 02.07.2014 at 23:46
Better than Let Us Pray
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 03.07.2014 at 00:04
Written by SleepFan on 02.07.2014 at 00:05

lol it does look like a Cathedral cover! I never noticed.

That's because it was made by Dave Patchett. That's why! He is basically Cathedral's visualisation and did all of their work except for Endtyme I think?... Not to mention that the s/t has got the same font as Black Sabbath's s/t.

Until after as far as I'm aware of, Justin has done the rest of the Discography with his own handrawn work ever since. Speaking of Come My Fanatics, I always think I keep seeing Jeffrey Dahmer in there when I see that cover.

This cover's slightly grown on me, it's sequels of Black Masses and Legalise Drugs And Murder and got a bit of a Lovecraftian feel and the title isn't all in all that bad, I'd thought after the shit they've been through since Black Masses it seems self-reflective. I've really grown fond of this "fat wavy, smokey" font style he's had since Witchcult Today (and Dopethrone too lol)
SleepFan - 03.07.2014 at 02:36
Written by Amatsu Mikaboshi on 03.07.2014 at 00:04

Written by SleepFan on 02.07.2014 at 00:05

lol it does look like a Cathedral cover! I never noticed.

That 1st paragraph just blew my mind. The wavy, thick font has just kinda been done to death after Black Sabbath's masterpiece Master of Reality. Even the Legalize Drugs & Murder cover was clearly just an homage to that album's cover. I think this will do once I've got a copy in my hands!

News To-Mera - Unveil New Album Title And Cover Art 11.5 06.07.2012 by Syk
News Trail Of Tears - Reveal New Album Title And Cover Art 10 11.11.2012 by dismaleuphony
News Nervecell - New Album Title And Cover Art Revealed 10 19.01.2011 by X5452
News Decapitated - Share New Album Title And Cover Art 10 09.07.2014 by Troy Killjoy
News Grand Magus - Unveil New Album Cover Art And Release Date 10 29.03.2012 by Valentin B