Bad news from the Soilwork camp. The Swedes are forced to cancel their gig at this year's Rockharz Open Air (in Ballenstedt, Germany) due to a serious back injury of their singer, Björn "Speed" Strid. This decision was a hard one to make, especially since it is the second time in a row after last year's forced cancellation.

Soilwork have been touring intensely since they released the double album The Living Infinite last year. Hopefully, Björn "Speed" Strid can rest and recover fully.

Strid stated about his injury: "It is with great regret that I have to inform you that I'm not gonna be able to perform at the Rock Harz festival on Friday. It almost feels like a curse, I'm sure most of you know that we had to cancel last years Rock Harz festival as well. We were so excited to make it up to you this year but I guess we have to wait yet another year. I basically screwed up my back 10 days ago, while working out. I felt a shooting pain and stopped immediately. That same night my back started swelling. Next day, I felt better and in the coming days it healed up pretty fast. Then last Friday, I made a small movement to reach for the remote, while watching World Cup Football and I felt an intense shooting pain once again. I thought to myself: 'This is gonna be bad'. I was right. I'm currently not able to sit and can barely walk. I went to a chiropractor two days ago and he was unable to do anything since my back was too swollen and my torso was too twisted. He sent me home with anti-inflammatory pills and painkillers and told me to take those 3 times a day for 3 days and come back on Thursday, which is tomorrow. I also asked him if there was any chance for me to perform on Friday and he said: 'It's gonna take a miracle and I definitely don't recommend it. I also informed him that we were gonna drive down in a van to Germany and then his reaction was: 'Don't do it'. So here I am, strapped to a couch feeling sorry for all the fans who had plans to finally see us at Rock Harz. I'm so sorry, I wish there was a way... hope you understand. Make sure you enjoy the rest of the awesome bands that are playing the festival, it looks like a real good line up! Our guitarist Sylvain will be there regardless so hopefully you'll run into him and he'll buy you a bunch of drinks. Cheers, we'll see you soon!"

Photo by Hannah Verbeuren Photography

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Soilwork

Posted: 10.07.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

LeKiwi - 10.07.2014 at 13:00
"...chiropractor..."

"...chiropractor..."

"...chiropractor..."

"...chiropractor..."

"...chiropractor..."
Absak - 10.07.2014 at 13:50
Damn, he looks really sad in that picture.
LeKiwi - 10.07.2014 at 14:22
Written by Absak on 10.07.2014 at 13:50

Damn, he looks really sad in that picture.

That was probably the intention...this was likely taken shortly after his visit to the chiropractor
Derelict Earth - 10.07.2014 at 15:33
Maybe it's an after-effect of his fall through the scene at Hellfest ...
Olber - 10.07.2014 at 16:15
Written by LeKiwi on 10.07.2014 at 13:00

"...chiropractor..."

"...chiropractor..."

"...chiropractor..."

"...chiropractor..."

"...chiropractor..."

I had the exact same thought. Not surprising that his back's ruined.
Troy Killjoy - 10.07.2014 at 17:02
Are you guys implying the chiropractor is to blame? You do realize the article states that he visited the chiropractor after the injury, right? And that he wasn't even able to do anything for him aside from prescribing some meds?
Ilham - 10.07.2014 at 17:13
I think they are implying a chiropractor is useless. I guess the Two And A Half Men jokes on the subject took a toll on the image of the profession. Who else would you go to, Kiwi, if you had a back problem? A neurosurgeon wouldn't help much more than a chiropractor.
Olber - 10.07.2014 at 19:57
Written by Ilham on 10.07.2014 at 17:13

I've never watched Two and a Half Men, but how about seeing a physiotherapist, i.e. an actual healthcare professional.
Ilham - 10.07.2014 at 20:03
Written by Olber on 10.07.2014 at 19:57

I don't know how it goes where you live, but I've never heard of chiropractors not being qualified enough to help you with a minor back problem.
!J.O.O.E.! - 10.07.2014 at 20:08
The comments on this thread confuse me. If a chiropractor says don't play then you don't play. Simple as that. You don't take risks with your back.
!J.O.O.E.! - 10.07.2014 at 20:11
Written by Derelict Earth on 10.07.2014 at 15:33

Maybe it's an after-effect of his fall through the scene at Hellfest ...

I somehow looked away the moment he did that. At the time I thought someone had gotten up on the stage or something.
Darkside Momo - 10.07.2014 at 22:42
Written by Derelict Earth on 10.07.2014 at 15:33

Maybe it's an after-effect of his fall through the scene at Hellfest ...

news said problem's older than that, but it certainly didn't help
LeKiwi - 11.07.2014 at 00:45
Written by Ilham on 10.07.2014 at 17:13

Chiropractors aren't certified doctors - physiotherapists are.
Ilham - 11.07.2014 at 00:46
Written by LeKiwi on 11.07.2014 at 00:45

Chiropractors aren't certified doctors - physiotherapists are.

Doesn't mean they can't help. Nevermind.
LeKiwi - 11.07.2014 at 00:48
Written by Ilham on 11.07.2014 at 00:46

Doesn't mean they can't help. Nevermind.

Not denying that, but I've heard of more than one scenario where chiropractors have done more harm that good, and significant harm at that.
!J.O.O.E.! - 11.07.2014 at 00:49
Written by LeKiwi on 11.07.2014 at 00:48

And I've heard about doctors that murdered their patients but I don't generalise that they're all like that. Chiropractors are trained professionals.
Ilham - 11.07.2014 at 00:51
Written by LeKiwi on 11.07.2014 at 00:48

[Platitude about bad examples in every profession].
LeKiwi - 11.07.2014 at 00:53
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 11.07.2014 at 00:49

Trained in what exactly? A profession that has unproven benefits?
!J.O.O.E.! - 11.07.2014 at 00:57
Written by LeKiwi on 11.07.2014 at 00:53

Trained in what exactly? A profession that has unproven benefits?

I'm not a chiropractor. I don't know what the training is other than it takes 4 years to become one. I don't question my doctor on his training just because I don't know what his training entails. What are you basing the idea that the benefits are unproven on?
LeKiwi - 11.07.2014 at 01:03
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 11.07.2014 at 00:57

I have numerous acquaintances who are certified doctors and it's well-known amongst the medical community that chiropractic isn't recognised as legitimate treatment for any sort of condition and is in fact frowned upon. The only reason the "profession" persists is because people ignorant on the matter buy into it.
LeKiwi - 11.07.2014 at 01:05
I can't form sentences right now, I'm drunk...you get the message I hope.
!J.O.O.E.! - 11.07.2014 at 01:08
Written by LeKiwi on 11.07.2014 at 01:03

I have numerous acquaintances who are certified doctors and it's well-known amongst the medical community that chiropractic isn't recognised - and is in fact frowned upon- as legitimate treatment for any sort of condition. The only reason it exists is because people ignorant on the matter buy into it.

Well I seem to have misunderstood its general standing in medicine; I thought it was a general term for someone who specialises in back and spine treatment which doesn't seem to be the case, however after having a brief look, mostly at the NHS website, it seems that it's a relatively accepted form of complementary treatment that is sanctioned in the UK. It doesn't sound quite as bad as you're painting it really. The fact it's available on the NHS (in a limited fashion) and homoeopathy isn't tends to separate the two a little.
LeKiwi - 11.07.2014 at 01:34
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 11.07.2014 at 01:08

The chances are that it probably has some benefits, however the effectiveness and success rate remains undetermined. Regarding homeopathy, my fellow medics gave me the impression that while patient treatment isn't covered by the NHS, the organisation (or whatever you call it) still throws a hefty amount of money at the "treatment". Just have a look at this - it will probably prove more understandable than my blabbering in my current state.
!J.O.O.E.! - 11.07.2014 at 01:39
Written by LeKiwi on 11.07.2014 at 01:34

Apparently it has benefits for a very specific part of the back (can't be arsed to go back and read it) but it's not considered a treatment for some other stuff. I don't personally agree with the NHS endorsing homeopathy in any way, especially as it says right there that there's no proven benefits to it whatsoever.
LeKiwi - 11.07.2014 at 01:52
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 11.07.2014 at 01:39

I've even consulted a chiropractor at one point, heeding my parents' advice...I was young and desperate to fix my shoulder. Didn't help, but then again any treatment tends to leave out a few people. Physiotherapy proved pretty effective (I was going to say as an alternative, but I think it should be the primary). As for homeopathy, I completely agree - it's pretty sad that tax money is wasted on it.
MelancholiaC - 11.07.2014 at 13:39
There's no "alternative medicine" - only medicine that works and medicine that doesn't. Any treatment that hasn't been proven to be effective in a placebo-controlled, methodologically sound clinical trial (i.e. most alternative health care) should not be a person's first choice of professional consultation. And homeopathy? Please, you might as well try praying, or dancing naked around a bon fire and chant under the full moon.
MelancholiaC - 11.07.2014 at 13:42
Well wishes to Bjorn though - hope he has a speedy recovery! One of my top favourite vocalists
LeKiwi - 11.07.2014 at 15:22
Written by MelancholiaC on 11.07.2014 at 13:39

That's pretty much what I was trying to say......................
silenius - 12.07.2014 at 03:06
If you live in a country were a chiropractor doenst need to be licensed, well then maybe you should live in a fucking civililsed society.....
Troy Killjoy - 12.07.2014 at 03:36
Written by silenius on 12.07.2014 at 03:06
...maybe you should live in a fucking civililsed society.....

Because everyone has total control over where they live.
LeKiwi - 14.07.2014 at 22:40
Written by silenius on 12.07.2014 at 03:06

A license doesn't imply legitimacy
[the cyrhus] - 31.08.2014 at 12:49
Written by Derelict Earth on 10.07.2014 at 15:33

Maybe it's an after-effect of his fall through the scene at Hellfest ...

That doesn't happened to him, but to the bassist.
Derelict Earth - 14.09.2014 at 13:33
Yes true but he also tripped and fell, although not through the scene.

News Soilwork - Forced To Cancel North American Tour 6 12.03.2011 by IchZerstörteSie
News Theatre Of Tragedy - Cancel Show At Metal Female Voices Fest 4 22.10.2006 by Soliloquy
News Firewind - Singer Forced To Cancel Tour Dates, Replacement Announced 4 21.02.2007 by Spyroid
News Darkane & Soilwork - Join Forces For Hometown Show 4 23.08.2006 by Spyroid
News Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - Dominique Leurquin Suffers Serious Hand Injury 4 05.10.2012 by Kalmari