While currently on another successful world tour, this time to support their latest studio album Pariah's Child, Finnish power metal heroes Sonata Arctica swung by the studio to re-record their debut album Ecliptica, which was released 15 years ago. This new version will be released on October 24th under the banner Ecliptica - Revisited: 15th Anniversary Edition on Nuclear Blast. What do you think about this release? Would you be interested in it?

Back then, Ecliptica, was recorded at Tico-Tico studios and mixed at Finnvox by Mikko Karmila (Nightwish, Children Of Bodom] and more). The album was promoted live on tour with Stratovarius and Rhapsody.

Keyboardist Henrik "Henkka" Klingenberg comments: "When it first was suggested to us by our Japanese label that we'd re-record our debut album Ecliptica, it felt a bit weird, but somehow the idea grew on us. Being that only Tony and Tommy played on the original one, we thought that it would be a fun thing to do, to give these great songs another run. We're definitely not trying to re-write history, the original Ecliptica is the starting point of this band and a very special album with a certain feel of innocence and enthusiasm which cannot be recreated as such since we're not teenagers anymore. Having said that, this new version is more of a tribute and an update on how these songs sound when played by our current line-up. We wanted to stay true to the original album as much as possible and not turn this into some weird re-arranged project where you couldn't tell which song was being played. So here it is, the 15th anniversary version of Ecliptica. Hope you enjoy it, we certainly had a good time digging into these songs and laying down the tracks."

The tracklist:

01. Blank File
02. My Land
03. 8th Commandment
04. Replica
05. Kingdom For A Heart
06. Fullmoon
07. Letter To Dana
08. UnOpened
09. Picturing The Past
10. Destruction Preventer
Bonus:
11. I Can't Dance (Genesis cover)

The first digital single of the CD will be "Kingdom For A Heart", due out on September 12th.

Source: sonataarctica.info
Band profile: Sonata Arctica

Posted: 22.08.2014 by Shorlack

Comments

BlueMobius - 22.08.2014 at 19:21
Doesn't seem necessary ...
EmeraldSword - 22.08.2014 at 19:33
I gotta give them props for the cover though. Looks great!
J. N. - 22.08.2014 at 19:41
If it turns out as good as the original, I'm super down.
moe5512 - 22.08.2014 at 19:45
I think it's quite unnecessary... I mean if Amorphis or Dimmu Borgir decides to re-record albums that have a bad sound quality, it's understandable, but Ecliptica had quite good mixing imo
The Shape 1973 - 22.08.2014 at 19:58
Please don't destroy it. There was nothing wrong with the original, so don't see the point. Maybe if they recorded it in order, live, then I could see the point.

Record company cash grab?
EmeraldSword - 22.08.2014 at 20:22
Oh and I would have liked to hear a song sample with the announcement, but I guess they want us to wait in anticipation. Production wise though I think Ecliptica's original recording sound quality holds up with Songs of Silence, so I tend to agree with others here, this probably was unnecessary.
Ruchesko - 22.08.2014 at 20:37
Written by The Shape 1973 on 22.08.2014 at 19:58

Record company cash grab?

You bet. Japanese music execs are notorious for this sort of thing.

One of the current trends is for pop/rock acts to release 2-3 different versions of a single, each with a different bonus track.
Vombatus - 22.08.2014 at 20:51
Unecessary even if it will probably be nice as the original is super duper good. I wish it helps the band remember how to play proper power metal too.
Joodicator - 22.08.2014 at 22:20
I don't know how I feel about this. It helps that they're aware that they're not teenagers anymore, because I'd much rather hear skilfully reworked vocal lines than Tony attempting Blank File and Destruction Preventer fifteen years on. Or do it anyway and tack those on as bonus tracks

I'd like to see how this turns out, because of my positive bias towards this band. But if Manowar's rerecordings are anything to go by, this could be bad. Also, they've already reworked three of the songs on Ecliptica :S
FeskarN - 22.08.2014 at 22:40
As some people already said this feels unessesary.. Ecliptica has a great sound and mixing for being a debut album.
Sword_Chant - 22.08.2014 at 23:44
I'm quite interested in it, since I didn't have all of the original Ecliptica songs, then again they might bodge the new version up... they'd be better off working on more new material to be honest.
iMorphball - 23.08.2014 at 03:05
Don't care if it's unnecessary, I'll check it out.
Ilham - 23.08.2014 at 03:11
I just realised this album wasn't titled "Epiliptica".
Troy Killjoy - 23.08.2014 at 03:28
It's funny because epilepsy.
DragonSavior X10 - 23.08.2014 at 03:50
Finally, Sonata does a Power Metal album.
mikeprado30 - 23.08.2014 at 07:20
Not so offtopic, but how I wish that bands like Dark Moor or Blind Guardian re-record their debut albums (specially Dark Moor, cause Shadowland had so lame production, but the music was great).
The Evergreen - 23.08.2014 at 07:33
Written by DragonSavior X10 on 23.08.2014 at 03:50

Finally, Sonata does a Power Metal album.

Truth... Lol...
I think that the production of Ecliptics could use some work, so my response is:
Shut up and take my money!
Stunning Cactus - 23.08.2014 at 08:14
C'mon, guys. Imagine being in a band for over a decade. Having grown so much and changed quite the same, wouldn't you want to attempt rerecording your old material, just for shits and gigs? I bet they had a blast doing this and I can't wait to hear how it sounds.
Teravolt_Danny - 23.08.2014 at 08:56
A little off topic, but: I thought Pariah's Child was a fantastic album. One of their best releases. It's a shame that so many people will overlook and be pre-determined to dislike it, because they are really missing out on a gem of an album.

IMO, and I know this will shock people, but I think Ecliptica is their worst album by FAR. The songs just aren't as catchy, the songwriting isn't as complex, and Tony's vocals sound weak (despite hitting the high notes). Maybe this re-released version can turn me into a fan of the album...
BlankFile - 24.08.2014 at 15:29
15 years ago... its seems like it was yesterday i started listening to this band from the beggining. I was 15 back then, now im 30! Time really passes by so fast. About this re-recording of Ecliptica, i think it´s an interesting ideia to launch again this amazing debut álbum, now with a different vibe and production. Hope it goes well.
juanopereira - 24.08.2014 at 22:46
I think it was not necessary to re-record the album but I hope when they do it they remember how good power metal should be played and start making good albums or at least better than the las ones (except The days of grays).
andreosokin - 24.08.2014 at 23:07
I'd buy I Can't Dance!
Lord_Regnier - 24.08.2014 at 23:19
Never saw the point in re-recordings. Re-mixing and re-mastering can be good in a few cases but re-recording is unnecessary.
Joodicator - 05.09.2014 at 14:26
I'd forgotten about this. After playing the original Ecliptica again I can't wait to see what they've done with it. I'm really surprised they decided to do this, mainly because of the questionable standard of English in some of the lyrics and the fact that Tony surely must be sick of FullMoon by now :s

They play the songs well live though, if that's any indication of what this will be like.

News Sonata Arctica - Stream Single From Re-Recorded 'Ecliptica' Album 9 12.09.2014 by Warman
News Sonata Arctica - Release New Video 6 13.02.2014 by Gopherhawk
News Sonata Arctica - Reveal New Album Info 6 10.07.2009 by matthioso
Albums Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica - Revisited: 15th Anniversary Edition 6 23.08.2014 by SexyCat_1113
Reviews Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night 4.5 16.08.2006 by