Official press release:

"Christ Illusion" has been confirmed as the title of the new Slayer album, it has been announced, and the CD's release date is now confirmed for August 8, 2006.

"Christ Illusion" is Slayer's first new studio album since 2001, and the first recorded by the band's original line-up - Kerry King/guitars; Tom Araya/bass, vocals; Jeff Hanneman/guitars; Dave Lombardo/drums - since 1990's "Seasons In The Abyss." "Christ Illusion" was produced by Josh Abraham and executive produced by Rick Rubin, and will be released on Slayer's long-time label, Rubin's American Recordings/Warner Bros. Records.

"Christ Illusion" deals with familiar Slayer themes - god, religion, hate, and war. Song titles are "Flesh Storm," "Catalyst," "Eyes of the Insane," "Jihad," "Skeleton Christ," "Consfearacy," "Black Serenade," " Catatonic," "Cult," and "Supremist." According to Araya, "No one is going to be disappointed, it's going to blow everybody away. It's fast, heavy, and maybe faster than anything we've done before."

"It's a good mix of fast, brutal music and slower moodier stuff, it's pretty intense," added King. "It sounds like a damn Slayer record."

A core player in Slayer's history has also rejoined the team for the "Christ Illusion" project. Larry Carroll, who did the cover artwork for "Reign in Blood," "South of Heaven," and "Seasons In the Abyss," has painted an original piece for the "Christ Illusion" cover. Working only from the song titles and early lyrics, Carroll has produced a classic Slayer masterpiece - a portrait of the Christ - whose forearms have been chopped off - standing in an ocean of blood surrounded by floating, decapitated heads. Carroll created the painting on a 4-by-4-foot slab of wood using a combination of mediums. King already has placed dibs on ownership of the original wooden canvas.

Slayer will headline this summer's six-week-plus "Unholy Alliance Tour: Preaching To The Perverted," which features Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Mastodon, and Thine Eyes Bleed, and kicks off at the Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ next Thursday, June 15.

Source: mtv.com
Band profile: Slayer

Posted: 12.06.2006 by Thryce

Comments

Lucas - 12.06.2006 at 13:37
Hope it will kick ass!
Cut-Throat - 12.06.2006 at 14:06
slayer are back!
ThunderAxe1989 - 12.06.2006 at 16:32
Pathetic, "Christ Illusion" and the description ov the cover, i hate when bands like Deicide do gay attention-seeking shit like this, now Slayer are doing it to! And they're all old enough to be my parents, they should really grow up!.......i'm sure to be disappointed, i dislike all their new material, i just like the older stuff, especially "Show No Mercy" and "Reign In Blood"! i'm sure it will be better than the previous release since Dave is back, but still, i doubt i'll be impressed.
Xtreme Jax - 12.06.2006 at 16:52
Daves back ... therefore Slayer are back!
I doubt that it will be the fastest that they've done as Tom said, but hopefully it will sound like the old Slayer. I dont mind the newer releases but the old rules outright. Im sure i wont be dissappointed ... I very anxious about the release, even though the album title doesnt impress me much.

SLAYER!!
Daru Jericho - 12.06.2006 at 16:59
I look forward to it.
Horlequism - 12.06.2006 at 17:25
Went to the website.....sounds very dissapointing from what I heard...that song Cult was brought to us by Hot Topic like wtf...how much more commercial can you get guys...
Stigmatized - 12.06.2006 at 19:48
Wow, dumb cover idea and album title. Hope the music is good.
Clint W. - 13.06.2006 at 05:32
I am the only one who thinks this is classic Slayer? Quit crying guys. It's fucking Slayer. At least they're back.
ajschlosser1980 - 13.06.2006 at 13:13
Slayer is back...sweet. Stop whining and complaining and why is everyone so intent that Slayer release an album exactly like one they did before? That defeats the purpose of creating a new album. I'm not found of bands that make every album sound the same. It's like listening to the same record over and over again. I like everything that Slayer has done and I give them alot of credit for all the joy that they have brought me over the years. \m/
Syk - 13.06.2006 at 17:41
Horle, I think it's cos King had a deal with them for his & Slayer's lines of T-shirts. I do agree though, it's not really befitting a band like this (same goes for Deicide's release for Apple "Whoreslut" iTunes)
Marcel Hubregtse - 13.06.2006 at 20:47
Written by Guest on 12.06.2006 at 17:25

Hot Topic might be commercial but releasing it in only 5,000 copies sure as hell isn't commercial.
Lucas - 13.06.2006 at 21:33
@danzig111, why don't you just wait before you judge?
Thryce - 13.06.2006 at 22:49
Because danzig111 likes to judge things he doesn't know anything about except for prejudices... (refering to his "knowledge" of Alternative and Nu Metal and Metalcore)
Marcel Hubregtse - 13.06.2006 at 23:13
funny that people keep on syaing that siince Dave is back it will be better than their previous releases because as far as I remember Dave has written almost none of the classic Slayer stuff. Dave is an awesome drummer I agree but so is Paul Bastoph (who of course recorded with them) and Tony Scaglione who toured with them.

I wodner what the new stuff will be like. What I've heard I like it a lot, btu then again I am also a fan of their newer material like on God Hates Us All (NO that is NOT nu-metal) Divine Intervention, Diabolus in Musica and especially their Undisputed Attitude cover album consisting of great hardcore and punk covers and an awesome own song.
okt31 - 02.07.2006 at 20:14
I've heard Cult, Eyes of the Insane and Jihad and all I can tell the album will be more than worthy if it keeps that way.. Much better than the past decade..
And I mention that I like Paul's drumming (especially in Forbidden)
Slayer's old problem was songwriting. It's GONE!!!

News Landmine Marathon - New Album Title And Release Date Announced 8.5 25.07.2011 by BitterCOld
News Warbringer - Share New Album Title And Release Date 7 30.07.2013 by Lit.
News Blindead - New Album Title And Release Date Revealed 7 24.08.2013 by Góral
News Svartsot - New Album Title And Release Date Revealed 7 08.02.2010 by Bad English
News Gojira - Album Title And Release Date Revealed 7 06.06.2008 by Katatronik