The following has been posted on the festival's official website:

"It is with deep regret that Metalism UK has to announce the cancellation of the Ragnarok Festival and associated preshow, scheduled for 3/11/06 & 4/11/06 in Perth/Dundee, Scotland. It has not been an easy decision to reach, and one we are extremely disappointed to have to make, however due to the low volume of ticket sales, combined with the higher than expected operating costs, we are unable to proceed with the show.

Our sincerest apologies to everybody who has supported us since the announcement of the festival, to the bands, and especially to the people who have already purchased tickets.

Refunds are currently being arranged and should all be completed within the next two weeks..

Metalism UK "

Source: ragnarokfestival.com
Event: Ragnarok UK Metal Fest - CANCELLED

Posted: 06.10.2006 by Promonex

Comments

Baz Anderson - 06.10.2006 at 13:07
what?
well if it has to be done then it has to be done
my guess as to the low ticket sales would be because it is so far up north in Scotland
i really wanted to go and see Gamma Ray, but it wasnt looking good for me going as it was so far out of the way and would have cost so much

it is a shame though
when will Gamma Ray come to this island next? will they ever?
Highlander - 06.10.2006 at 15:28
I found out a few days ago, and it is really shite. I heard they turned down some big bands aswell.

Plus it being in Perth was well shite. In Glasgow or Edinburgh where it's easier to get to and bigger parks.
Dark Cornatus - 06.10.2006 at 15:46
Fucking cunts behind these festivals, considering Ragnarock in Norway that i was meant to go to (late Auguat) got cancelled too. Fuck them, why prepare for such big events if there was risk of cancellations? If it was for low sales thats not good enough. If a band or event is announced, they play! If its something important like deaths, sickness or government issues, then its understandable.
One of the reasons i wanted to travel to Europe was to see such festivals, i saw Wacken, which was awesome, but Ragnarock was the chance of a lifetime for me to see Edenbridge and Kamelot live, some bands never come to Australia because there not profit.

Sorry bit of a winge there, but i still think its not good enough, in fact i dont even think i have received my money back from my cancellation, they havent updated anything??? This message has been there for ages.
Eurisco sounds like its behind the British Ragnarock too, why the fuck didnt they fix it after Norway's cancellation god knows.
Ah well...shit happens.
kaos666 - 06.10.2006 at 19:11
I had my ticket and everything! When will the likes of Korpiklaani, Charon, Kalmah and Gamma Ray ever come here again?? Well I sort of understand, it is in the middle of fucking nowhere and it would have cost me four times as much as the festival ticket to pay for the transport there.
hanna of steel - 06.10.2006 at 20:39
I agree that the choice of venue was probably the cause of low ticket sales.

I would have loved to have seen Charon , but it was so far away there was no chance of me getting there.
Dark Cornatus - 07.10.2006 at 03:31
What company did you buy the tickets from?
Highlander - 07.10.2006 at 15:41
The tickets werent sent out yet. I would have had mine aswell coz they said last week they got sent out and we all got ours in a bundle of about 4 and none came through then got said it was cancelled.

It wasn't in the middle of fucking nowhere
Daru Jericho - 08.10.2006 at 04:56
In a way I'm glad this is cancelled because I was so fucking jealous. I mean, Gamma Ray, Astral Doors, Kalmah, Doro, Dream Evil and especially ELVENKING! We'll I've already seen Astral Doors and shall be Dream Evil in November and maybe Doro if I get the cash but still...as soon as I saw this was cancelled I knew it must have been to poor ticket sales. I would have loved to go but it's all the way in Scotland. They should reschedule it in London! Ticket sales would be amazing.

Yes...I am aware that I give Londoners a bad name.

But really, bad luck for those who bought tickets and all. Such a shame seeing as the Norwegian one got cancelled too.
Baz Anderson - 08.10.2006 at 17:55
yes, i feel the same way kind of
the chances were i was not going to be able to go either because it was so far away and would have cost so much - especially on the back of tickets for and getting to Derby for Bloodstock and London for Emperor

they shouldnt do it in London though - thats hardly a 'pagan' place for this sort of festival. hahaha
they should have done it somewhere in the middle of the country
maybe the same field they use for Bloodstock Open Air or something..
YoreLore - 10.10.2006 at 21:04
The whole point was to have a metal fest in Scotland, so enough of this rubbish about taking it to London...England already get Bloodstock.

Perth isn't hard to get to...its just most people who aren't Scottish probably only know Glasgow and Edinburgh so assume that Perth is a hill at the very north of Scotland.

I wouldnt have minded if it was in Glasgow or Edinburgh...Glasgow and Perth are easier for me to get to from Ayrshire but the festival WONT be in England...it was supposed to be Scotlands first metal fest.

If all the people who go to Bloodstock bought a ticket and spent some money travelling it would be going ahead...just like the rest of us travel down to England for Bloodstock...
Baz Anderson - 11.10.2006 at 01:17
ooh we've angered someone indeed

we can use maps, we know where Perth is - and we know how we could get there, but the point is there obviously was no way near enough people that they needed to buy tickets in the area, and because it was so far out of the way of the main population of this island - not many people were going to go due to the costs of getting there!

you sound like a child - 'Scotland has to have its own metal festival because England has Bloodstock'
well because it was in Scotland, it failed to even go ahed - that is clear
every big festival isnt just for the people of the country it is in
Daru Jericho - 11.10.2006 at 01:31
@Junglemanchild: It's pretty funny watching you take it all to heart. For a start, as London is one of the most expensive cities in the world, it's is rediculously expensive to get on a train to Bloostock [Derby], let alone Scotland.

Anyhow, if you bothered reading my post you would have also noticed that I was taking a jokey stance about holding it in London. The only festival with 'big' names us Londoners seem to get is Day Into Night Festival anyhow and who knows if that'll be happening this year.

Events SCO, Perth - Ragnarok UK Metal Fest 4.5 14.06.2006 by