Roadrunner Records is proud to announce the signing of progressive metal pioneers Dream Theater.
A new studio album, Systematic Chaos is due in June. Dream Theater will hit the road in support of the album for a world tour, including major festival appearances in Europe.

"Dream Theater and Roadrunner Records have led parallel careers on the cutting edge of metal for many years," say A&R men, Derek Oliver & Dante Bonutto, "We're thrilled to be working with a genuine market-leader, and when you add everything the guys bring to the table to the independent spirit and work ethic of the label, the results can only be exciting in the extreme!"

Prior to teaming up with Roadrunner, Dream Theater was signed to a seven-album deal with Warner Music Group worldwide. The deal commenced with the critically acclaimed and commercially successful Images And Words (1992), a Gold-certified US release, and concluded, in equal style, with Octavarium (2005), a Top 40 Billboard outing. In August of last year the band issued Score, a live album/DVD (recorded at Radio City Music Hall in New York), which went straight to the No. 1 spot on the Billboard DVD charts, knocking Pink Floyd from the top!

Systematic Chaos, Dream Theater's ninth studio release, arrives at a time when the band is casting a longer-than-ever shadow across the rock and metal landscape. Their influence is being acknowledged by an increasing number of contemporary, cutting-edge acts such as Stone Sour, Trivium, Shadows Fall, Opeth as their fan base continues to grow.

Source: dreamtheater.net
Band profile: Dream Theater

Posted: 09.02.2007 by Baz Anderson

Comments

Passenger - 09.02.2007 at 01:36
Whatever gets the album in my nearby store's shelf.
Syk - 09.02.2007 at 04:11
"Their influence is being acknowledged by an increasing number of contemporary, cutting-edge acts such as Stone Sour, Trivium, Shadows Fall"

Say what now?
Lanfawn - 09.02.2007 at 04:43
With contemporary, cutting-edge acts they surely mean "commercially successful somewhat-metal bands off the top of our heads".
Baz Anderson - 09.02.2007 at 04:49
haha - its a roadrunner quote. what do you expect..
MUSIC? - 09.02.2007 at 09:16
Surprise!
Revenant - 09.02.2007 at 09:44
Fair enough, I don't expect they'll turn metalcore antime soon, Opeth didn't.
Carrion - 09.02.2007 at 10:20
Stone Sour influenced by DT? Hmm.. Well I haven't noticed that in their music. Anyways, not so surprising move.
NemeniX - 09.02.2007 at 11:39
Yeah, that's not really surprising.
I don't appreciate Roadrunner a lot, but I don't think it will change what DT is currently doing.

BTW, I love the album's name.:)
Bas - 09.02.2007 at 12:44
heh, it does surprise me, roadrunner records doesnt really promote this style of music usually...

oh well, i never really liked Dream Theater, but i'm curious about their next album
Spyroid - 09.02.2007 at 13:23
Roadrunner ruins the metal world.
gid - 09.02.2007 at 13:45
I could see it happening. First Opeth, then Porcupine Tree, and now Dream Theater. It seems Roadrunner are interested in prog metal nowadays.
Katatronik - 09.02.2007 at 15:16
Yeah it really seems, gid. I Hope they don't change their style, Opeth didn't, Cradle Of Filth a bit...
Syk - 09.02.2007 at 15:39
I agree with cradka, though I do appreciate their Two from the Vault series. I wish there were more releases like that
GT - 09.02.2007 at 16:27
Hmm. Sounds interesting...as long as the music is good I don't care what company is behind
gid - 09.02.2007 at 16:40
I dunno. I don't think Dream Theater is really going to change what they're doing, but I've seen bad things regarding Roadrunner's business practices and how they screw their bands over. It may seem like a good deal now, but I just wonder how they'll treat Opeth and the rest once the craze for prog metal passes and it goes back to something else.
Locke - 09.02.2007 at 18:13
Didn't Warner just recently buy Roadrunner for $73.5 mill? I'm not crazy about this. Maybe after a decade of selling primarily lame nu metal/metalcore acts RR decided to build up their tru metal cred by signing decent bands like Opeth, Dragonforce, Nightwish, CoF, DT, etc?
kaos666 - 09.02.2007 at 18:51
Goodbye Dream Theater, at least I know you were once good.:wave:
Dane Train - 09.02.2007 at 22:25
Guys, just remember, in 1996/97 the record label tried to screw Dream Theater over by forcing them to make a "hit" album with Falling Into Infinity. So Mike Portnoy turned around and said to the label "You guys stay the fuck out of our music!" After that happened Dream Theater released Metropolis pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory.

Need I say more?
Baz Anderson - 10.02.2007 at 01:26
exactly..
dont be so fast to suspect the next album will be so bad just because of the record label
i trust them enough to think the next album will be the music they want to make - and not be influenced by roadrunner

we'll just have to wait and see what its like
Mega-Slayer - 10.02.2007 at 01:39
Roadrunner is known for having many great bands,and for treating their bands poorely.I am not expecting them to make poor material,I just hope they aren't manipulated by their label.
tulkas - 10.02.2007 at 02:56
I agree with Baz Anderson, although roadrunner isn't the best thing around, I wouldn't start being negative. I'll just wait to listen to it, and then I can say what I think.

I don't really belive a band such as DT are going to change because the label syas they should. If they said that to them, I don't think they would've signed in the first place
Asitis - 10.02.2007 at 04:22
Lol. The end of Dream Theatre.
Not that I liked the band anyway, but hell.
Muskot - 10.02.2007 at 13:21
"an increasing number of contemporary, cutting-edge acts such as Stone Sour, Trivium, Shadows Fall, Opeth as their fan base" et c

What has Trivium got to do with progressive music at all?
Opium Magnet - 10.02.2007 at 14:23
Yet another great band to fall, it seems.

I highly doubt they'll ever return to their former days after this, Roadrunner always transform bands in a negative way, it's a well-known fact. Just look at how bad Opeth became. Ghost Reveries was horrible.

Mind you, these are two entirely different bands I'm talking about here.

Another example would be Megadeth and their decision to switch to Roadrunner, not surprising, I mean, Mustaine's already a reborn christian, hell, why not destroy their sound even more now, too?

Roadrunner should have never existed.
Arian Totalis - 10.02.2007 at 20:56
I can't wait to get it, personally.
Daru Jericho - 11.02.2007 at 05:45
The good thing about this is that it could mean an Opeth/Porcupine Tree/Dream Theater tour. In my wildest dreams...

Everyone ignore the quotation about the other bands being influenced by DT. It doesn't mean anything, really.

Still, Warner, DT's old label, owns RR anyhow (or at least most of it) so it seems logical for DT to sign up. I doubt DT are going to musically change their style seeing as they're old enough to know better and I think they've found their niche. Seems Roadrunner are just trying to attract more metal names again to their label while bands like Trivium and Nickelback rake in the cash for them.
chris_metalhead - 11.02.2007 at 08:21
Written by GT on 09.02.2007 at 16:27

Exactly
chris_metalhead - 11.02.2007 at 08:27
Written by Guest on 10.02.2007 at 14:23

Just look at how bad Opeth became. Ghost Reveries was horrible.

Are you serious, that's one of my favourite opeth albums, up there will Blackwater Park. I mean its not like they sold out or anything switching to roadrunner, Ghost is a fuck load heavier then the likes of damnation.
Opium Magnet - 11.02.2007 at 08:36
Written by chris_metalhead on 11.02.2007 at 08:27

Written by Guest on 10.02.2007 at 14:23

Just look at how bad Opeth became. Ghost Reveries was horrible.

Yes, I'm quite serious about that, I enjoyed Damnation and Deliverance much more.
Muskot - 11.02.2007 at 14:58
Most records are heavier than Damnation...

Though BWP remains unbeaten. =)
Xtreme Jax - 11.02.2007 at 18:37
Ahem, To get back on topic...

Just because they've signed with RoadRunner doesnt mean that they are going to change their style or the label is going to push them to change their style. They've become one of the biggest Prog bands out there doing what they have been so why would RR want influence their style? They wouldnt.

And doesnt Warner records own most of RoadRunner anyway?
Revenant - 11.02.2007 at 20:16
Written by chris_metalhead on 11.02.2007 at 08:27

Written by Guest on 10.02.2007 at 14:23

Just look at how bad Opeth became. Ghost Reveries was horrible.

I agree Ghost reveries is good but that's such a lame way to look at how comercial something is. Slipknot and Bullet for My Valentine are both alot heavier than Tenhi or Dargaard, which are the msot mainstream bands?
NemeniX - 12.02.2007 at 02:07
Uh.

We can't say anything at the moment. Just wait to listen the new album before saying something.

Time will tell.
chris_metalhead - 12.02.2007 at 10:08
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah very true. But an album like Damnation would probably appeal to more people then slipknot when you think about it. Most people like melodic easy listening rather than aggression. It works both ways.
chris_metalhead - 12.02.2007 at 10:10
Written by Guest on 11.02.2007 at 08:36

Written by chris_metalhead on 11.02.2007 at 08:27

Written by Guest on 10.02.2007 at 14:23

Just look at how bad Opeth became. Ghost Reveries was horrible.

Yeah no worries. I just thought it was going a bit far to say its horrible.
Opium Magnet - 12.02.2007 at 10:24
Written by chris_metalhead on 12.02.2007 at 10:10

Written by Guest on 11.02.2007 at 08:36

Written by chris_metalhead on 11.02.2007 at 08:27

Written by Guest on 10.02.2007 at 14:23

Just look at how bad Opeth became. Ghost Reveries was horrible.

Yeah no worries. I just thought it was going a bit far to say its horrible.

Well, I'm entitled to my opinion and that's what it is . Of course, when a band makes an album, they can't expect everyone who is currently a fan to like their next release... especially if it's as experimental as Ghost Reveries was (well, when I listened to it anyway).
Marcel Hubregtse - 12.02.2007 at 11:26
Written by Guest on 10.02.2007 at 14:23

Roadrunner should have never existed.

If that had been the case Europe would never have seen the likes of Metallica, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Sepultura, Deicide etc. etc. And many companies like Century media, Nuclear Blast would never gone totally metal either.
Roadrunner was at the forefront of metal in the eighties and showed the worlod what a small independent label could achieve.
So a remark such as yours just shows ignorance ad stupidity.
Opium Magnet - 12.02.2007 at 11:40
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.02.2007 at 11:26

Written by Guest on 10.02.2007 at 14:23

Roadrunner should have never existed.

So a remark such as yours just shows ignorance ad stupidity.

LOL, sorry there, I was referring to the new face of Roadrunner Records Ozman. Of course I am a fan of the bands that were with them in the eighties and early nineties (especially Mercyful Fate and King Diamond ), but look at them NOW is what I more or less meant...

And a remark such as mine doesn't show ingnorance and stupidity, just forgetfulness in not remembering to outline what exactly I was referring to... so I am sorry for not saying so earlier... if that's ok with you.
Syk - 14.02.2007 at 05:39
Written by chris_metalhead on 12.02.2007 at 10:08

I doubt that, man.

Opium: That's much better
chris_metalhead - 15.02.2007 at 04:39
Written by Syk on 14.02.2007 at 05:39

Written by chris_metalhead on 12.02.2007 at 10:08

I doubt that, man.

You're probably right when you just consider the younger generation. But hope leaves compared to sic, I know which one my Dad would listen to, and I'm not talking up slipknot, because they're shit and for all i care they can die.

Anyway, looking forward to the new dream theater album.

News Dream Theater - Re-Sign With Roadrunner Records 10.5 03.12.2012 by BudDa
News Mike Portnoy - Teams Up With John Sykes For New Trio 7.5 29.07.2011 by Dane Train
News Dream Evil - Sign With Century Media Records 7 28.11.2009 by Warrior_Of_Ice
News Grand Magus - Sign With Roadrunner Records 7 05.12.2009 by Vitriolic Hate