The following update has been posted on metallica.com today (14 March):

"Metallica left the comfort of HQ this week to descend upon the greater Los Angeles area to begin recording their 9th original album. This is the first time they've recorded outside of the Bay Area since they spent an eternity at One-On-One Studios recording The Black Album in '90 and '91. The last couple days have been devoted to each band member working out the right sounds, including Lars who remembered to turn on the snare and Kirk who played a solo! The big, shiny red button was finally pushed today - and the wait begins."

Some pictures of the band recording the follow-up of 2003's "St. Anger", can be found at this location.

Source: metallica.com
Band profile: Metallica

Posted: 15.03.2007 by Thryce

Comments

Syk - 15.03.2007 at 13:53
I hope so bad that's not the title of the album...
Thryce - 15.03.2007 at 13:56
Written by Syk on 15.03.2007 at 13:53

I hope so bad that's not the title of the album...

You're joking right..

It just means they began recording the new album. I used that title since they use it too on their website and it sounded pretty catchy. Or at least more appealing and less stiff than "Metallica - Begin Recording New Album".
Syk - 15.03.2007 at 14:00
Why would I be joking? Anything is possible with these guys' current states of mind
Opium - 15.03.2007 at 14:36
Written by Thryce on 15.03.2007 at 13:56

Written by Syk on 15.03.2007 at 13:53

I hope so bad that's not the title of the album...

You're joking right..

I'd have to say that it caught my eye, Thryce, so, good job!

Here's hoping metallica at least put a better effort into this album. Hopefully it'll be a return to form after all these years, although it seems doubtful.
Carrion - 15.03.2007 at 14:40
"The last couple days have been devoted to each band member working out the right sounds, including Lars who remembered to turn on the snare and Kirk who played a solo!"

Well, good luck for them. And also for Rick Rubin. Nice title for the news btw
Warman - 15.03.2007 at 14:42
I know that it'll be great!
Nixx - 15.03.2007 at 14:50
Let's hope for a new "Master of Puppets" or "Ride the lightning" xD
though I really really doubt it >.<
GT - 15.03.2007 at 14:59
Catchy title for sure. The new album's gonna kill I'm sure. Saw a interview with Ulrich and Connie Nielsen (his girlfriend) last night on Danish TV. She said the stuff she had heard was the best Metallica yet...hope that's true
matthioso - 15.03.2007 at 15:14
This is going to be a killer album. better than anyone expects
Katatronik - 15.03.2007 at 15:20
I strongly hope in a good album, I think it will be better than St.Anger because worse than that album they couldn't do!
Syk - 15.03.2007 at 15:29
Have you guys heard/seen either of the two "new" songs/videos? I can remember the second somewhat and just the basics of the first, and unfortunately it REALLY is NOT "new Ride the Lightning"
matthioso - 15.03.2007 at 15:35
I think it will be some sort of new black album
Spyroid - 15.03.2007 at 15:46
Written by Guest on 15.03.2007 at 14:40

I laughed my ass off xD
Der Meister - 15.03.2007 at 17:14
Listened to the live recording of "the first new song", it had some almost Thrashy moments, although they were few, but it was definitely better than anything on St. Anger! "The second new song" is another story, I thought it was quite terrible to be honest.
GodOfBodoM - 15.03.2007 at 17:25
please, plaese, PLEASE! Metallica write something GOOD. not live st.anger
so dont disappoint me...
ElCon - 15.03.2007 at 18:03
Written by Guest on 15.03.2007 at 17:25

please, plaese, PLEASE! Metallica write something GOOD. not live st.anger
so dont disappoint me...

You can't expect, that will be something new :-( and better :-( ... I love Metallica .. but I hate St.Anger ... If they can't meke heavy sound .. they should stop.
X-FrEaK - 15.03.2007 at 18:12
Written by Guest on 15.03.2007 at 17:14

the first new song aint that one where James comes off with some kind of "Yeah yeahs" and " youhh youhh" ? i cant even express my feelings about that...song?
Jay - 15.03.2007 at 18:16
eurgh... why haven't they just changed their name to 'Nu Metallica'

and those two new songs...
dancingdecember - 15.03.2007 at 18:47
those two new songs were disasterous but i really hope they will deliver a killer or at least decent album and make us feel metallica is back on the scene.i really want this.i never stopped listening to the real metallica we all love.
Nixx - 15.03.2007 at 19:07
Written by dancingdecember on 15.03.2007 at 18:47

amen to that.
Nixx - 15.03.2007 at 19:15
but (be-head me if you like) I don't think St.Anger was THAT bad though.
I mean, it was metallica taking a step in the "right" direction if you think about how the fans want it.
they got "heavy" again, ok so there weren't any guitar solos, but not every metal album needs one, besides,
that album seems to me more like a "therapy" album than anything else.
Tbh I love the lyrics on "My World" and "Invisible Kid", and I love how James voice adapts to yet another
"unheard" Metallica style.

I've been listening more to St.Anger recently than both "Load" and "Re-load", hell even "Black Album", and tbh, I find Black Album a bit "boring", no way if I could listen to the whole record in one piece (bad english kk? =( )

It's good to hear that Metallica are growing "balls" again, and I think that ill love the new metallica album, not because it's a work of genius, or masterminds, just simply 'cos it's Metallica, and that I grew up with them..

For me, Metallicas variety IS Metallica, but ofc, the "4 golden ones" --> everything they've made, but for me, after being a heavy fan of them for soon 11 years, it's still not boring listening to them, 'cos of the variety..

Anyways, Can't wait to hear the new album, and I hope that as few Metallica fans as possible will be disappointed ('cos face it, many will)

//Greetings from the icy-north..
RavenLord - 15.03.2007 at 19:57
Written by X-FrEaK on 15.03.2007 at 18:12

Written by Guest on 15.03.2007 at 17:14

I hope you realise that those 'yeahs' are simply filler because the song is a work in progress? There ARE going to be additional lyrics, you know.

I still don't expect much from this. Of course the band and those affiliated with it are going to say they like the material-they're going to endorse their music! Well, at least I'll be able to torrent this first, to see if they have improved...
Endoftherainbow - 15.03.2007 at 20:07
If Rick Rubin can't fix them they're fucked.
Der Meister - 15.03.2007 at 20:52
Written by X-FrEaK on 15.03.2007 at 18:12

Written by Guest on 15.03.2007 at 17:14

Ok, I meant that the "Yeah yeah, oohh oohh!" song was the terrible one. I propably got confused with the order in which these have been spread to the net, or maybe you are? Doesn't matter really.
Bitch Boy - 15.03.2007 at 23:07
So, we can get new album by, at least, 2009??
Emperor IX - 16.03.2007 at 00:57
For some unkown reason, i have an overwwhelming feeling that we are going to see an instrumental song on this new album. Hurry up metallica, get off your high horse and find that inspiration you guys once utilized so well on your older albums. For me this new album doesnt have to sound the same as ride, puppets, or justice, but it has to capture the same balls out - fuck you attitude those albums are known for. If they can do that i will be satisfied.
+{Jonas}+ - 16.03.2007 at 04:16
I certainly hope that this will be better than St. Anger. Not trhat I dislike SA, but it's by far their worst album. Hopefully they'll level up again
blackmagic567 - 16.03.2007 at 04:48
Lets all hope this album turns out well, another thrash classic. if kirks playing a solo thats a good sign
Doc Godin - 16.03.2007 at 07:48
Im gonna quote Kerry King on this (excuse me if its not exact wording) "I dont know why Rick Rubin would produce for Metalica, there a sinking ship"
Xtreme Jax - 16.03.2007 at 08:52
Lars remembering to turn on the snare?
Kirk playing a solo?

Already sounds better than St. Anger... still not buying it
Xtreme Jax - 16.03.2007 at 08:56
Written by Doc Godin on 16.03.2007 at 07:48

King said that? Haha good on him, agreed! Where'd you hear/read that from?
SETHULHU - 16.03.2007 at 08:58
Written by Guest on 15.03.2007 at 19:15

but (be-head me if you like) I don't think St.Anger was THAT bad though.
that album seems to me more like a "therapy" album than anything else.
"unheard" Metallica style.

//Greetings from the icy-north..

i wont be head you, because i kind of feel the same way. i prefer to hear the whole St. Anger album than to hear a full LOAD or RELOAD. yes those two have timeless songs in them, but the whole 2 albums are worse than St. Anger.

as for Black Album, then put up the gallows for me as well. i always foudn it to be a bit boring but again, some songs are timeless.

nothing says metallica like the first four albums, where every freaking song counts.

as for the St. Anger with Solos (meaning the new album) i hope they dont continue St. Anger style of music and cheassy lyrics. but then who knows, they have always amazed us in the past, and history repeats itself (i hope)

i for one cant wait to hear the new album but iam not keeping my hopes up like i did when we first heard about St. Anger being the heaviest they ever did.
Asitis - 16.03.2007 at 13:48
Written by SETHULHU on 16.03.2007 at 08:58

I guess i understand why you'd say that. Load nor ReLoad were real 'metal'. They're way more rock. I agree, St Anger is way more metal then those 2. But you can't say Load is a shitty album, because it is a outstanding album, just not ment for metallica. So Load is a outstanding rock album, and St Anger is a (quite shitty) metal album.
Everyone that's not a strict, close-minded metalhead can see that.
SETHULHU - 16.03.2007 at 18:18
Written by Asitis on 16.03.2007 at 13:48

and St Anger is a (quite shitty) metal album.

my point exactly.
Passenger - 16.03.2007 at 20:14
It can't possibly be worse than St. Anger, so they can only go up in my opinion. Still doubt this one will come close to their first five albums though.
Doc Godin - 16.03.2007 at 22:59
Written by Xtreme Jax on 16.03.2007 at 08:56

Written by Doc Godin on 16.03.2007 at 07:48

King said that? Haha good on him, agreed! Where'd you hear/read that from?

Cant remember, it was said shortly after St.Angry came out.
WorpeX - 17.03.2007 at 04:29
I dunno, I love almost all metallica albums including load, reload and the black album. However, St.Anger Sucks.

Long as its not this Nu metal bs, I think the album will be fine.
AnGina-- - 17.03.2007 at 12:17
Written by WorpeX on 17.03.2007 at 04:29

Same with me. As from now on, I have really low expectations for this album - so I can only get pleasantly surprised if it's good and not disappointed.

Face it people, the good old Metallica days are long gone... But I'm sure they can surpass even Load and ReLoad, the question is only if they will....
ThrashMetal_Rulz - 17.03.2007 at 17:35
Well Metallica's controlled by an idiot (Lars) so I don't know if we're ever going to get another Metallica like they were in the 80's, but with Rick Rubin I hope they'll at least make an album like the "Black Album" .
X-FrEaK - 18.03.2007 at 01:21
Written by Doc Godin on 16.03.2007 at 07:48

Kerry King is fucking cocky!! i read in a portuguese magazine that it was impossible to make another " Clash of the Titan's Tour"(I guess it was the name of the tour, im too lazy to go check the magazine lol) because Slayer are way better than Megadeth now...geez...even if true i hate cocky people...and "The System has Failed" is a really great album tbh
~Nagash~ - 18.03.2007 at 15:07
So cool, a new album of Metallica
Goat-Christ - 09.04.2007 at 02:07
I'm not going to hold my breath for the new Metallica album because last time I did my hopes were crushed by an album entitled "St. Anger". I'll just wait and find out if it's good or not.

As opposed to Kerry King being cocky... at least Slayer stayed heavy. Even when albums like "Diabolos In Musica" and "God Hates Us All" weren't that great, they were still, at least, a Metal band. They still had a mouthful of hatred being spewed into your ears and never stopped playing guitar solos or compromised their sound to reach a "wider audience". I think what King said was funny because he's almost right. If Metallica doesn't turn it around this time then they have dug their own grave. Slayer redeemed themselves with "Christ Illusion" so let's see if Metallica can do the same.
Nyxgrinder - 08.01.2008 at 06:39
Written by Guest on 15.03.2007 at 14:50

Let's hope for a new "Master of Puppets" or "Ride the lightning" xD
though I really really doubt it >.<

Enjoy those albums, and get use to get dissapointed by a band who no longer cares about you, now they are after all those emo fans.
stygian - 23.08.2008 at 13:26
Written by Endoftherainbow on 15.03.2007 at 20:07

If Rick Rubin can't fix them they're fucked.

why is that, last time i checked Rick Rubin still hasent taken over heaven...

(or hell)
stygian - 23.08.2008 at 13:29
Written by Goat-Christ on 09.04.2007 at 02:07

so youre simply not allowing a band to change, its almost asif Metallica are your employees... when are you gonna sack em then??

Reviews Metallica - ...And Justice For All 8 29.09.2007 by Syk