Danish Power/Progressive Metal outfit Pyramaze has found a new vocalist: no less than Matt Barlow, ex-singer of Iced Earth who had decided to leave the heavy metal world four years ago! After Pyramaze had fired their former vocalist Lance King in November 2006 due to "personal and professional issues", guitarist Michael Kammeyer got in touch with Matt Barlow, by now a full-time police officer and lead vocalist of the Delaware First State Force Band, and as of March 2007 he has joined Pyramaze, as was announced today. The first Pyramaze album with Barlow on vocals is expected in next spring. Elaborate statements by both Michael Kammeyer and Matt Barlow can be found on Pyramaze's official website, as well as new band photos.

Source: pyramaze.com
Band profile: Pyramaze

Posted: 14.04.2007 by Promonex

Comments

Storchillarn - 14.04.2007 at 17:29
Holy shit. That's all I have to say. Haven't heard Pyramaze but I understand they are pretty decent if Matt decides to join them? =)
Promonex - 14.04.2007 at 17:44
If you don't know em yet, check em out, they are pretty decent indeed: http://www.myspace.com/pyramaze
Jeff - 14.04.2007 at 17:58
Damn!!!! Is it real ?

Edit: Pyramaze is a GREAT band btw, and they like MS !
Truemetaljope - 14.04.2007 at 18:01
Would have liked to see him returning back to Iced Earth, but anyway nice to hear he's back in metal scene.
Götter - 14.04.2007 at 18:04
whoa what the heck... I think I must start listening to this band solely because of Barlow's incredible vocals!
Kaamos - 14.04.2007 at 18:15
Heh, Götter stole my thoughts.
WarriorOfMetal - 14.04.2007 at 19:00
............whaaaaaat? that's ridiculous. re-join iced earth if you're gonna get back into metal....
RavenLord - 14.04.2007 at 19:08
Blimey...talk about coming completely out of the left field. I'll be interested to see what Barlow's able to do with Pyramaze...they certainly have the talent to make something big. I must 'borrow' the two Pyramaze albums of a friend...
MetalMachine - 14.04.2007 at 19:40
wtf, why doesn't he go back to iced earth, i loved him there... they just fitted so good together!
Stalker - 14.04.2007 at 19:50
@WarriorOfMetal - well thats what I say.... We should sign like a petition or something.... This rether sucks, than its good.
GT - 14.04.2007 at 20:16
Wauw that's just amazing. Must start listening to more Pyramaze now...they were good before and this will make them even better
Promonex - 14.04.2007 at 20:26
So Matt Barlow returns to metal like people have been waiting for him to do for the past four years and they still keep complaining ^^

Read his statement. He wanted a secure full-time job to have a secure life for himself and his family. Iced Earth was about making music for a living - with all its insecurities - and touring a lot, which he never was too fond of anyway AFAIK. Now he has established all what he wanted, and Pyramaze probably were the only ones to have the guts to approach him at this point again. And like he says, one reason why he joined Pyramaze is because they don't have the pressure to be successful as everyone in the band has jobs and makes the music just for the fun of it. Looking at this aspect it's very unlikely that he'll return to Iced Earth because IE is just a lot more serious than he seems to want it to be. Plus I guess he is humble enough not to go like "Hey Ripper, I'm back to reconquer the mic in Iced Earth, fuck off!"

Anyway, give them a chance! Pyramaze is a very good band and I think his voice could fit very well to it. I'm not sure about him doing the band's back catalogue, but I'm positive Michael Kammeyer gonna write some decent tunes for him to sing along to
Farundel - 14.04.2007 at 20:58
Matt is back in metal! I still can't believe it! It's a bit pitty he is not back in Iced Earth, but still it's great news! I've never heard of Pyramaze, have to check them out. I'm sure they are great - Matt would never join a bad band
Susan - 14.04.2007 at 21:01
If this is true it's the greatest day of my life
PyRaMaZe - 14.04.2007 at 22:04
I love Pyramaze, since Lance King is a great vocalist, but was sad when he left. I haven't heard Matt Barlow's vocals before, so I need to test him out on some tracks,
Collin - 14.04.2007 at 22:37
Written by Götter on 14.04.2007 at 18:04

Almost the same for me I don't like what I've heard from Pyramaze but Barlow is one of my favourite singers...
wrathchild - 14.04.2007 at 23:00
That's outsandingly awesome!

I wasn't aware the band parted ways with Lance King... Shame on me, I love Pyramaze, a really great band IMO. So when I saw the title of this article I thought "this must be some kind of April Fools joke" but no, it's real. It's fantastic and I'm eager to hear how Matt's voice will fit the band, since his voice is so attached to Iced Earth's style.
Lucas - 15.04.2007 at 00:04
Am I the only one to think that with his joining, Pyramaze will get a LOT of attention and thus things will become a lot more serious for the band?
ylside - 15.04.2007 at 00:18
WHAT THE FUCK.

This is awesome news... I hope he's still as good as he was !! I'll definitly get my hand on the coming Pyramaza releases !
Storchillarn - 15.04.2007 at 02:16
Too bad we have to wait about a year for the new album. It's absolutely worth it though. Iced Earth should tour with Pyramaze, would be awesome.
Dark Cornatus - 15.04.2007 at 03:07
Pyramaze are good, the first album is weak though, Barlow should spice things up, my question is, why them? Denmark and USA are far apart, is it just going to be a studio band or something? Like no touring, live acts?
Dangerboner - 15.04.2007 at 03:10
haha I've never seen ylside swear before

I think he's gonna make Pyramaze sound soooooo much better. I didn't like their previous vocalist, but I think the music has potential.

Officer Barlow:

insanity.peppers - 15.04.2007 at 05:00
I love Matt Barlow so much, he is the main reason I go so into Iced Earth. I've never given Pyramaze a chance, but I definitely will once he starts recording music with them.
I'm really proud of Matt, he showed he had his head and heart in the right place when he joined the force as a "real job" of supporting his family, and now he's found way to let his solid vocals live on and still maintain a job for his family (as far as i know, I think he's staying with the police force). What confuses me is how he'll record and tour with Pyramaze if they're based in Denmark. I suppose the recording could be done through the net ... but who knows. I cannot wait to hear his voice on a new album again :-) \m/
Raiden - 15.04.2007 at 08:04
Written by Götter on 14.04.2007 at 18:04

Those are probably the thoughts of a lot of people...

@Nervel: Yes indeed, haha.
Bad English - 16.04.2007 at 14:33
I didnt know this are Danish band
WoW I never had lsiten them , because its not of my type of metal but Matthew Barlow if he will be singer its awsome but still Iced Erath are Iced Earth
Valentin B - 16.04.2007 at 14:55
wtf? this was unexpected
AnarChrist - 16.04.2007 at 16:30
Now this is something.This is news.Wow.
Iced Earth = one of my all time favourite heavy/power metal bands
Pyramaze = one of the best new discoveries
damn epic
Ereinion' - 16.04.2007 at 18:25
holy shit Matt is back ?
one of the best news ever
Dam3k - 01.05.2007 at 02:37
Written by Lucas on 15.04.2007 at 00:04

No u aren't, same here
RORY - 03.05.2007 at 22:06
yeah!!!!!!!!!fuck em all!!!!! MATT BARLOW IS BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SETHULHU - 18.05.2007 at 15:33
so the whole "his voice is not really what i was looking for" that john was saying is all a load of crap (like we didnt know) but this is good for me because now i get to know a new band.

BARLOWWWWWWWWWW RUUUUUUUUUUULESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
TTR - 20.06.2007 at 16:05
Ohw man greatest news ever!

Blegh, Tim's voice i still can't listen to it, actually "The Glorious Burden" was the first album from IE i heard, BUT hearing both Matt and Tim live...Tim can't ever reach the heights nor the right voice for IE's theme. Oh well..

But this news, if you consider listening to Pyramaze, i think you have to agree they sound quite like IE. Their main influences must be IE. I've got both albums right since after i heard this news and if i think Matt's voice over Lance's then i just can't think it's much different then IE

I'm not at all doubting Matt can't do the back catalogue..anyone remember Alive In Athens?? ONE of THE best live cd/dvd's!

This is very, very great.
BMR Monkey - 03.11.2007 at 22:31
TTR? Team Technique Racing????
NaittsirK - 12.12.2007 at 12:22
Okey....what now?
He is in Iced Earth again....
Maybe he will forfeit the work with this band and Lance King could sing here again!!
That would be cool.....really cool....

News Pyramaze - Announce New Singer 7.5 12.07.2008 by Spyroid
News Pyramaze - Matt Barlow Will Not Continue With The Band 7.5 23.12.2007 by Stalker
News Matt Barlow - Announces New Project With Freddie Vidales And Van Williams 5.5 15.07.2012 by WorpeX
News Whyzdom - New Singer Joins Ranks 5.5 03.02.2013 by The Shape 1973