Stratovarius have issued the following update:

"Finnish melodic power metal "legends" Stratovarius are breaking the silence since guitar player Timo Tolkki left the band. They will return with a new studio album in 2009. It is a positive and powerful record that the band's fans all over the world are certain to take to their hearts.

"After Tolkki gave his blessing for us to go on without him, and after writing music together again this summer and a lot of thought, we have decided to carry the legacy of Stratovarius into the future", says keyboardist Jens Johansson.

"We are all very excited about the record and about playing Stratovarius music live to our fans. We can't wait.", adds vocalist Timo Kotipelto.

The new guitar player is 25-year old Finnish guitar phantom Matias Kupiainen. Drummer Jörg Michael says, "in Matias we found new character who fits perfectly with his way of melodic guitar shredding, he is a killer player, a 'Wunderkind' from Finland!"

The first two festival dates for 2009 have been confirmed already:
Wacken Rocks, Kreuth / Aurich, May 22, 2009
Wacken Rocks, Kreuth / Aurich, May 23, 2009

More 2009 festivals are planned and will be announced soon. These dates will be followed by a concert tour."

In the meantime, also Timo Tolkki couldn't help but meddling in and posted the following reaction to whom it may concern:

"I, like everybody, read today that Kotipelto, Michael and Johansson are continuing their new band as "Stratovarius". I have really nothing else to say except to comment the quote of Jens Johansson "After Tolkki gave his blessing for us to go on without him". I have never gave them any "blessing" to continue as Stratovarius. As I have said many times, I think it is wrong and I would never have continued Stratovarius without Timo Kotipelto, Jörg Michael or Jens Johansson. What Johansson calls a "blessing" was that I gave them the rights to the name I owned and the rights to something like 14 Stratovarius albums. But not as a gift, but as to cut all the ties to them because I was told then that they will continue as Stratovarius which I though was totally wrong towards the fans and of course to me.

They write that they continue the Legacy of Stratovarius, but it cannot be continued. Even I cannot really continue it because it existed only when we were together. It's a shame to see that they cannot start from the clean table like me, but are just using the name. Without that name, they know that they would have it much harder. They took a long time in deciding if they will use the name or not and some of them were totally against using that name. Now that has apparently changed. It is timed very well also to the release of the website of my new band Revolution Renaissance.

It is a sad day for me, because I believe that Stratovarius as a band died to the publicity stunt the whole band, management and record company organized in 2004 when nothing that was happening was true. After that nothing was the same and the truth could not be told before I told it some days ago in an interview with ontrackmagazine.com.

Finally to sum it up: I do not think that the band that now calls itself "Stratovarius" is the band that its fans came to know as "Stratovarius". I think it is a sad way to make a financial use of the name and shows lack of courage to stand on their own feet and music and instead going on as a new band with a new name that I believe would have been the right way. Stratovarius is dead, Long live Stratovarius!"

Source: blogs.myspace.com
Band profile: Stratovarius

Posted: 24.10.2008 by SlaytallicA

Comments

Nickferatu367 - 24.10.2008 at 23:55
The opera continues
White Winter Sun - 25.10.2008 at 00:31
A new episode, it was a long time...
insanity.peppers - 25.10.2008 at 00:38
"Stratovarius is dead, Long live Stratovarius!"

If there was one line to sum up Timo's bat-shit insane bipolarism it would be that ^
Black Conundrum - 25.10.2008 at 01:08
Written by insanity.peppers on 25.10.2008 at 00:38

"Stratovarius is dead, Long live Stratovarius!"

I couldn't help but laugh when you said that. That's a unique way of putting it.

Anyways, I think it is irresponsible for those three dudes to continue using the Stratovarius name without Timo Tolkki. The real Stratovarius is sort of in the past as of now.
Bad English - 25.10.2008 at 01:15
Now i know what i will post and vote f someone open poll/tread about moust overated band in 2009 and seems Timmo and band are in ''war'' good
Fhuesc - 25.10.2008 at 04:43
Tolkki just can't let it go. In his tombstone the next message will be read: "Timmo Tolkki lovely father and husband... and Stratovarius died the moment i left them, bitches!"
Elijah - 25.10.2008 at 05:48
R.I.P Tolkki's dignity.
Mystic Ice - 25.10.2008 at 05:55
I understand Tolkki was a very important part of Stratovarius. But it would not be the first and probably not the last time and important member has left a band and been replaced. There really isn't any need for this much drama. I also see that there is no mention of all the money and resources Tolkki wasted on his failed side project. That situation put a lot of strain on the band and the other members didn't even have a part in it aside from the grief it caused.

Important or not, Tolkki alone isn't Stratovarius. The fiasco that was Miss K should have taught him that. I am looking forward to the new album. There is still a lot of talent to go around and maybe some fresh blood will be a positive thing. I am a little concerned about the songwriting since Tolkki was mainly in charge of that but maybe there will be more total band envolvment now.
Shadowcross - 25.10.2008 at 09:29
Written by Elijah on 25.10.2008 at 05:48

R.I.P Tolkki's dignity.

It is getting ridiculous.. "Stratovarius is dead, Long live Stratovarius!" -TT ... you are right, clinical bi-polar pretty much there..
He needs to let it go and stop embarrasing himself.
Check my review of RR's New Era..
I honestly think the surviving members will give us a much better release than this pathetic record.
DreamNightmare - 25.10.2008 at 12:33
Stratovarius is dead, long live Stratovarius - WTF?? Tolkki the king of contradiction. It's a shame that he's such an idiot that he'd send an official document that was posted on the Stratovarius website saying that he hands over ALL rights to Stratovarius, and then deny thats what it REALLY meant.
By responding with statments like the one above he's only alienating more people and starting (albeit very small) another media storm.
Atually this time i think nobody cares - get on with the music. If Stratovarius make a better or worse album than Tolkki it still has nothing to do with him anymore.
I think i speak for most when i say lets hear some MUSIC!!! from now on it's Power Metal as opposed to handbags at dawn.
YoreLore - 25.10.2008 at 14:06
Good luck with the new album. Tolkki is a fat wank
Hyvaarin - 26.10.2008 at 02:36
I love that the word "legends" is put in inverted commas hahhhahahaa.
Uirapuru - 26.10.2008 at 05:30
Woow theyre finally back.. cant wait
GT - 26.10.2008 at 15:35
That statement by Tolkki is just ridiculous
Elio - 26.10.2008 at 16:09
Written by Hyvaarin on 26.10.2008 at 02:36

I love that the word "legends" is put in inverted commas hahhhahahaa.

I laugh at that too. And at Tolkki's last sentence.
Arçaliz - 26.10.2008 at 19:52
And the Legend Return......
LeChron James - 27.10.2008 at 02:06
If this doesnt win the biggest drama award in the MS awards this year im gonna be pissed.
Dark Cornatus - 27.10.2008 at 06:53
Hehe funny shit.
The band can continue in the asme vein as before without a songwriter anyway. Its not as if they will dramatically change style because Tolkki left. They still want the Stratovarius sound. Thats where Tolkki doesnt see the big picture, he sees himself as king of Stratovarius, when he is just a part, a big part nonetheless, but he is only one member. If 3 left, perhaps a new name is a good idea.

I reckon they will come back strong, i havent liked any of their newer stuff so i cant wait.
Angel_Lament - 27.10.2008 at 12:38
Written by Dark Cornatus on 27.10.2008 at 06:53

Hehe funny shit.

I agree with u
Shame on Timo to say that, Im sure they will come back strong & more powerful
He thinks that when he left the band, it all ended, but thats not true, Stratovarius isnt just about Timo Tolkki, its about Timo Ktipelto, Jens Johansson & Jorg Michael.
I know it will sounds different without Tolkki, but thats not a reason to talk like that...
Angel_Lament - 27.10.2008 at 12:39
Written by Dark Cornatus on 27.10.2008 at 06:53

Hehe funny shit.

I agree with u
Shame on Timo to say that, Im sure they will come back strong & more powerful
juanopereira - 27.10.2008 at 16:27
I understand Tolkki's feelings and I like his new band, but he shouldn't be angry because the rest of the band want to use the Stratovarius name. Anyway, I believe Stratovarius allready has the first place in the "Best Drama" category for the 2008 metalstorm awards XD.
Balls of Jericho - 27.10.2008 at 19:38
First off i dont know alot about stratovarius, but im pritty sure that it was timo's brain child and he was the front man if this is true then i am well informed if not then this comment is a waist of time but here i go. i think that it was incredibaly rude that the other members of stratovarius took the name after all timo said that he didnt like Kotipelto's writing style so now if he is continueing on the "lagacy" he is just smearing timos brain child to the ground. it would be like if nightwish kicked toumas out of the band and decided to continue on. also to all you commentors have some respect and i dont see why your so harsh to timo about his ilness he had we have all had our hard times, how would you like it if some one made fun of you just because of one bad insadint you had, jesus i hate you guys just have som respect for other people

thats all
Talvi - 27.10.2008 at 21:45
Guess we already have the drama of the year!

Stratovarius... they always were a fucking joke of a band.
PM - 28.10.2008 at 21:54
Looking forward to listen to the new album...

Then I'll take my conclusions.

But you guys are right, a band is much more than a person.
The Shape 1973 - 11.11.2008 at 22:41
Please change the name of the band guys, so that this soap opera can come to an end, I like TT's new band, but please shut up

News Timo Tolkki - Launches 'Project Strato: Return To Dreamspace' 6 20.05.2009 by Elio
News Stratovarius - North Atlantic Isles Tour 2009 6 23.01.2009 by The Shape 1973
Albums Darkest Hour - The Eternal Return 3 18.07.2012 by Ace Frawley