Sonata Arctica keyboardist Henrik Klingenberg has posted the following European tour update:

"Tomorrow (22.11.2008) is the last show of the European tour, I think we've all been surprised about the great turnout, after all this was the second headlining tour with this album ("Unia"). Somehow these last days have gone by pretty fast and before we know it we're gonna be in Russia and then that's it... for now. I won't go into any extensive comments about the upcoming album, mainly because nobody knows how it will sound at this point, and the few songs I've heard by Tony Kakko (vocals) can't paint the whole picture. It's gonna be really interesting to work with Elias Viljanen (new guitarist) in the studio and I'm sure we'll come up with something great.

During the two months (December - January) when Tony is writing songs, I'll be playing the keyboards for Elias' new solo album, and in the spring we hopefully can play some shows in Finland. Mental Care Foundation will also do some shows, if I can find the rest of the guys... which shouldn't be impossible. What more... hmm... Silent Voices' fourth album is almost complete except for the vocals. I'll let you know more as these things unfold. I'll try to post something about Russia later."

Sonata Arctica's new album is expected to be released somewhere in the last quarter of 2009.

Source: sonataarctica.info
Band profile: Sonata Arctica

Posted: 24.11.2008 by Thryce

Comments

LeChron James - 24.11.2008 at 12:39
PLEASE be better than Unia. thats ALL I ASK.
corrupt - 24.11.2008 at 12:46
Yeah, a little speed here and there couldn't hurt.
Powerslavex - 24.11.2008 at 12:48
Great news!!
Bas - 24.11.2008 at 13:04
Not only better than unia, reckoning night wasnt exactly the pinnacle of art either *snore*

oh well, i'll listen to some new tracks on myspace probably but my expectations are deep under the ground already, sonata arctica are a different band by now than the one that made songs like "kingdom for a heart" and "wolf and raven"
Shadowcross - 24.11.2008 at 13:33
Hmm i agree with these sentiments exactly..
Angel_Lament - 24.11.2008 at 14:08
Great, I hope it'll be better than Unia too
But Reckoning Night is Awesome album...
Talvi - 24.11.2008 at 15:06
So... what will make it different to the previous Sonata albums?
ArcesseEum - 24.11.2008 at 15:27
Just less balads! oh god, no more balads!
juanopereira - 24.11.2008 at 17:07
I hope it will be better than Unia... The fourth album of Silent Voices hmm that's interesting
Janne - 24.11.2008 at 18:22
I'm looking forward to the next European Tour! and of course the new album! It can't be a letdown after Unia I think. And I also expect a live DVD next year.
BlankFile - 24.11.2008 at 21:15
I think Unia is a great album in its own way, but than again i always hope even better albums from these guys, because they have lots of talent and creativity. Im looking forward to ear the next release from Sonata Arctica
Stay Metal!
Silent_wolfer - 24.11.2008 at 21:35
Finally! Can't wait til' the new album comes out.
Taktsekte - 24.11.2008 at 21:47
People, people, Unia was a one-timer, something they just had to do given the band's mood at the time, and now the experiment is over! I do not expect an album made just of My Selenes and San Sebastians, but I'm sure they are going to impress us again. Long live.

Not that Unia was a bad album though. But I agree that the lack of catchy choruses and overall speed was unexpected.
Daggon - 24.11.2008 at 22:20
At last, please, we don't need another Unia, we need that sticky SA power metal!!!
Janne - 24.11.2008 at 23:01
Written by Taktsekte on 24.11.2008 at 21:47

Tony said in an interview that there won't be more albums like Ecliptica or Silence but more like Unia...
So I think they will continue the way of Unia.
Black Conundrum - 25.11.2008 at 00:10
This is nice news. I hope this albm is a nice album.
Valaskjalf - 25.11.2008 at 00:40
Bring UNIA v2 any day! Loved that album, more mature and progressive than their earlier "Stratovarius" albums.
insanity.peppers - 25.11.2008 at 01:17
Good news, I can't wait for the next album. I've grown to accept the direction they're going in. Better learning to appreciate new musical directions than getting bored with the same old ones.
ilikesquirtles - 25.11.2008 at 01:17
I simply don't understand all the Unia hate. I thought it was a good album in its own right, very different style-wise from their previous material but not bad my any means...

Anyway, I can't wait to see what they come up with next! But last quarter of '09 is so far away...
Introspekrieg - 25.11.2008 at 01:37
What if this album is REALLY experimental (not just watered down) and completely catches everyone off guard? How cool would that be...
but alas... it shall scrape the bottom of the crap barrel again.
Warman - 25.11.2008 at 01:42
As long as it turns out better than "Unia".
Kap'N Korrupt - 25.11.2008 at 02:16
Cool. I'm glad to see that they're putting an album out soon and that it will BE AS GOOD AS UNIA
+{Jonas}+ - 25.11.2008 at 05:14
Please, more speed.
Please, less ballads.
opeth771 - 25.11.2008 at 05:27
Unia is the worst album Sonata could have released so for me, there are no questions to ask; the new album has to be better
Eeric - 25.11.2008 at 11:50
Unia is greatest of their albums. It just needs time to open in mind. Myself thought when heard Unia first time that it sucks a big time but not anymore. It's great.
tulkas - 25.11.2008 at 19:13
I guess i'll agree with most of you, i just hope it's better than unia. PLEASEEE!!!!
Dhrenor - 26.11.2008 at 11:59
The interesting thing about "Unia" is that it really gets better and better each time you listen to it. The first time I heard it I thought it was the worst Sonata Arctica could come up with. BUT then I started to understand the songs, so to speak, and suddenly it was one of the best albums I've ever heard in my life.

Give "Unia" some time, it's really worth it!
Elio - 26.11.2008 at 18:00
Well, I'm not so interested, but still, I'll look for this.
Luciferion - 26.11.2008 at 18:22
Written by Guest on 26.11.2008 at 11:59

Give "Unia" some time, it's really worth it!

Huge fan of earlier Sonata, but your absolutely right, the more you listen the better Unia gets. Hopefully they can write somethign in the middle ground, something that it doesn't take 5 listens before you start to enjoy it, but still contains something new to it.
Elaryan - 26.11.2008 at 18:54
New album *O* i wanna hear it
FeskarN - 26.11.2008 at 20:48
Hope it will be better then "Unia" and I will be happy.
Malaghost - 28.11.2008 at 13:33
Finally, good news hope new album will be better than Unia. Anyway Sonata fuckin' rocks ...
Arçaliz - 28.11.2008 at 23:50
While it's not like "Unia", all is good....
Njord - 29.11.2008 at 22:20
I hope for an album from the old days, but I know it will not be like that. Maybe SA is just another band sold to the market. It's a shame, but oh well...
The Shape 1973 - 04.12.2008 at 18:12
Silence please.
MeloDeathViking - 07.01.2009 at 18:00
I hope there are some fast songs, I could have handled Unia better if they had included some fast stuff.
Zelse - 27.06.2009 at 00:28
I can't wait to hear this. I'd prefer something more along the lines of Reckoning Night, because that was an incredible album (seemed to be the transition point from straight power metal to more progressive power metal), but if this continues in the vein of Unia I won't be disappointed. The only songs I still can't get into that much are The Harvest and The Vice, but I have a feeling I'll be playing Unia a lot more soon enough and will eventually like them.

News Sonata Arctica - New Video Online 7.5 28.04.2007 by amonamarthavenge
News Sonata Arctica - New DVD Release Dates, Teaser Available 7.5 22.09.2011 by Stratowarrior
News Sonata Arctica - Reveal New Single Details 7.5 30.01.2014 by BynersA7X