A few weeks ago, Týr guitarist/vocalist Heri Joensen answered some questions on the official Týr forum from the fans related to the band's current studio activities:

"It will be a very simple and straight forward pure Viking Pagan Folk Metal album... well, as simple as a three way combined term like that allows for. There will be no DVD with the release. We are using a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier for the guitar, that's one evil piece of machinery. We haven't gotten round to the bass yet, but we'll use some David Eden amp or an Epifani amp. The drums are combined: tom 4 is Tama, the snare is Pearl and the rest is Yamaha with Evans oil drumheads.

The album will be called: "By The Light Of The Northern Star".

The subject of the album will be the Viking age resistance against the christianization of the Faeroes. With THICK parallels to the present... and it's sounding pretty darn good so far."

Source: tyrforum.fraendar.com
Band profile: Týr

Posted: 25.01.2009 by amarchand

Comments

mantiviking - 25.01.2009 at 12:59
Yeah! good news!!
Valaskjalf - 25.01.2009 at 13:23
Freekin epic...
-DC-002- - 25.01.2009 at 14:36
I wonder how their new popularity will effect the next album? If it does at all
matzyy - 25.01.2009 at 16:22
Looking forward to it. Saw them live in Lillehammer last summer, and they sounded pretty good.
Introspekrieg - 25.01.2009 at 18:20
I enjoyed "Land" very much, keep it coming guys!
Newfie_Metal - 25.01.2009 at 19:21
Land took some time to grow on me, but I really like it now.
ß - 25.01.2009 at 19:51
Wow already? I still haven't gotten around to listening to Land but good news none the less.
Lehctim - 25.01.2009 at 19:59
"With THICK parallels to the present..." Wow this sounds really interesting, I'd like to see more folk bands try this angle.
YoreLore - 25.01.2009 at 20:21
Will be great as always
Ragana - 25.01.2009 at 21:20
I would be more impressed if they already had an album art too. The name of this album means nothing to me, yep, freaking epic. Even the Northern star is not new for me... But I'm truly glad that they are working with this new album which I can't wait to see/hear.
LeChron James - 25.01.2009 at 22:29
Helluv northern heritage title. cant wait.
Ascalon - 25.01.2009 at 22:39
Amazing, their last album wasn't any bad.... so hopefully this will be better ... Týr it's such an unique band
|pyro| - 25.01.2009 at 22:45
Hail to the hammer,
hail to týr for making suck great music
amarchand - 25.01.2009 at 23:02
I'm looking forward to this album more than any other I can think of at the moment other than Time, of course. It seems like Týr is great at churning out album after album with consistent high quality, so i have high expectations. HAIL TO THE HAMMER!!!!
Janne - 25.01.2009 at 23:53
I'm looking forward to this album and with some luck I can see them playing on the Faroese Islands this summer!!!! that would be awesome!
Daggon - 26.01.2009 at 00:26
Yeah, another album from the mighty Týr warriors!!! Still I think they are a bit underrated, but surely the next album will be great. I like the new title
kayla - 26.01.2009 at 01:52
Another new album already? Awesome!
. . . Seriously, a fucking epic album name. Can't wait.
bard - 26.01.2009 at 20:48
Land was just a little too loose theme-wise for me. I'm very glad to hear that they are a little more fixed on a subject this time around, as they seem to work well with such things. Would be killer if we got the continuity that was present in Ragnarok...but this time telling a more realistic and edgy story. GAH! Can't wait.
Ernis - 26.01.2009 at 21:46
Ahem....as much as the music of Tyr is magnificent, this endless topic of "violent christianisation" and "sufferings of pagans" and stuff is already such a cliché...that's tiring....like what? Did some ultra-Christian religious soldier monks invade Scandinavia and gang rape the virgin nature loving pagans? As much as I remember from history course and the book "History of Northern Europe" viking konungs(kings) in Scandinavia started to practice Christianity themselves (not necessarily quitting their pagan beliefs) and the fact they "christianised" other areas was that they just did what they had always done (robbing and conquering neighbouring areas)....that's what they always had done....they did the same things before and after converting to christianity with religion having no connection to it plus it's entirely plausible the shape of the cross was irrelevant these days....(similarity with Thor's hammer - that's true...) the concept of the "rebellious satanic" inverted cross was born in the 20th century as the inverted cross originally was the specific symbol of Saint Peter....
This topic just needed some slightly more research and explanation in order to make things less black and white as they tend to be rather often....
Otherwise...all the best to Tyr and let's hope the music will be as grand as on "Ragnarök"
infydreams - 27.01.2009 at 02:34
Interesting....It's not that long since their Land release. Oh well, good news nonetheless...as long as they deliver of course.
Black Conundrum - 27.01.2009 at 04:15
Hmm, this seems interesting. I'm just starting to get into this band. A new release will be something that peaks my interest.

News Týr - New Album Title Revealed 9 17.03.2011 by
News Týr - New Album Title And Artwork Revealed, New Song Online 9 22.07.2013 by Deinonychus
News Flotsam & Jetsam - New Album Title Named 7 20.11.2008 by Introspekrieg