With the Metal Storm Awards 2008, you, the metalhead, were given your say in which albums were the best of their respective genres in 2008.

We, the staff of Metal Storm, also had our own internal polling done to determine our selections for "best in show" of each genre. Just like you, we spent the month of February reviewing our final nominees for each category and voted for who we thought represented their respective genres best during the last calendar year.

As with some of the general MS awards (see Sludge, nearly a three way tie that was decided with, literally, Two Minutes to Midnight on the final day of voting), we had some close calls of our own to hash out. After much deliberation, much alcohol consumption, even more metal consumption, some heated words, a few fist fights, and one kick to the junk (sorry, Lucas, hope your "boys" are feeling better!), we've compiled our list of who we, as the staff, would hand out our awards to.

Now that you've had nearly two weeks to digest your results, and the initial furor over how "Band X should have won their genre, Band Y is complete bollocks and they should never have won, and Band Z should have been in a different genre" has died down, we figure the time is right to unveil our selections and let the bitching resume anew.

You may direct your comments, concerns, or outrage here.

Alternative Metal - Textures - Silhouettes

Source: metalstorm.ee

Posted: 15.03.2009 by wrathchild

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

BitterCOld - 17.03.2009 at 20:34
Written by HarmonyCorruptio on 17.03.2009 at 12:10

Gama Bomb neglected? Insolence!

not neglected - they made our thrash cut, and i voted for them in both the staff picks as well as the general MS awards. more staffers just preferred Hexen.
Throne Dweller - 17.03.2009 at 23:23
Written by -DC-002- on 17.03.2009 at 03:49

Written by Throne Dweller on 16.03.2009 at 22:54

Extreme Doom is different to just Doom? Lol. ^_^

seriously?

Well I've never delved deeply into the Doom genre; have generally stuck around Black and Folk.
anteandante - 18.03.2009 at 02:20
Enslaved is decent but watershed is better than vertebrae,btw good list.
Mar De Grises +1
Cult Of Luna +1
Marcel Hubregtse - 18.03.2009 at 14:53
Written by Søren on 17.03.2009 at 16:14

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.03.2009 at 17:39

Written by Pétur on 15.03.2009 at 19:38

Wwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy better then "our" picks.
Only find Alternative Metal and Atmospheric/Symphonic Metal picks lame. And what's with Hail of Bullets? did Marcel bribe the rest of the staff?

Not bribe them, I brainwashed them, that's much cheaper than bribing

Hmm .... I seem to recall *someone* sending me a copy of the 12" and the laser-etched double vinyl ... that sure sounds like bribery to me ...

Then again, I didn't vote in this, so it's all sort of irrelevant, isn't it? (Well, not entirely irrelevant - I did get a copy of the single best death metal album of the year out of the deal!)

You're right, I did bribe you, but as you said you didn't vote in this so that was a worthless bribe from my part
Ivor - 18.03.2009 at 15:05
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2009 at 14:53

Not entirely, he did keep himself from voting against you. So, you bribed him into silence.

I.
MetalManic_Joel - 18.03.2009 at 16:13
What about the category "Biggest Surprise?"

Added to post----ah I see now. The '...Disappointment' one isn't their either. I guess they go hand in hand. Well, I guess now is the chance:

STAFF, what were your biggest surprises and disappointments?
Marcel Hubregtse - 18.03.2009 at 16:27
Written by MetalManic_Joel on 18.03.2009 at 16:13

What about the category "Biggest Surprise?"

STAFF, what were your biggest surprises and disappointments?

Biggest disappointment for me was the voting habits of our users
MetalManic_Joel - 18.03.2009 at 18:30
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2009 at 16:27

Written by MetalManic_Joel on 18.03.2009 at 16:13

What about the category "Biggest Surprise?"

STAFF, what were your biggest surprises and disappointments?

Biggest disappointment for me was the voting habits of our users

Ok, that is probabily the best answer!!!
RockFire309 - 20.03.2009 at 16:37
Textures is often overlooked and deserve a little credit. My beef is in the Prog dept: Neither Opeth nor Ayreon??

Why?
Xeros612 - 20.03.2009 at 19:37
Well, I can't comment on most as I've not heard nearly anything on this list, but I must say I'm not sure if AC/DC can really qualify for an award anymore. Nothing against them, but all their work has been pretty much the same over the years. Well, I suppose it makes sense, though; the hard rock scene isn't very good overall, but I digress.
Marcel Hubregtse - 22.03.2009 at 17:50
Written by RockFire309 on 20.03.2009 at 16:37

My beef is in the Prog dept: Neither Opeth nor Ayreon??

Why?

Simple, because we, as staff, found enslaved to be much better.
ß - 22.03.2009 at 17:57
Pretty good list there I agree with most of the winners for the most part. I'm also pleased to see that the staff voted for Darkspace III in the Black Metal category

Pages: 1 [2]

News Metal Storm Awards 2009 - Staff Picks Revealed! 9 08.03.2010 by BlankFile
News Metal Storm Awards 2009 - Now Open For Voting! 7.5 01.02.2010 by Angel_Lament
News 9th Annual Metal Storm Awards Open For Voting 7.5 01.02.2013 by Array