Original news, posted on 19.05.2009

Polish blackened death metal band Behemoth has announced a new artwork and release date for an upcoming album ''Evangelion''. The new album is scheduled for relase on August 7 via Nuclear Blast in Europe and August 11 via Metal Blade in US. Album artwork can be viewed here: http://www.behemoth.pl/en/index.php?type=hi.

Commented Nergal:

"Evangelion combines a pure art form with a direct message. It was also important for us to ensure that the graphical presentation did justice to the record. Again, we have worked with Tomasz Danilowicz who has created his best illustration yet for Behemoth. The picture is of The Great Harlot of Babylon riding the seven-headed beast. Saints bow before her in worship whilst the tablets of the Ten Commandments lie broken at her feet. It represents our vision and the interpretation of the New Testament parable where the "Whore of Babylon" is a symbol of rebellion and resistance against God. I am fascinated by stories whose source lies in the Bible and we have used biblical symbolism, coupled with my own experience and outlook, in our lyrics or on the covers of previous Behemoth records. I love to juggle with meanings and play around with symbolism which is exactly what I have done in this case. The main character of our new cover is an archetype of disobedience, individualism, self-determination and a free, unfettered will - these are universal keywords which are typical and crucial in understanding the character of our works, life as a whole and the true nature of man."

UPDATE (Source: blabbermouth)

Behemoth will release their ninth full-length studio album, "Evangelion", on August 7 in Europe via Nuclear Blast Records and August 11 in North America through Metal Blade. The CD was mixed at Miloco Studios in London, England by Colin Richardson, who has previously worked with Machine Head, Slipknot, Napalm Death and Bullet For My Valentine among many others.

"Evangelion" tracklisting:

01. Daimonos
02. Shemaforash
03. Ov Fire And The Void
04. Transmigrating Beyond Realms Ov Amenti
05. He Who Breeds Pestilence
06. The Seed Ov I
07. Alas, Lord Is Upon Me
08. Defiling Morality Ov Black God
09. Lucifer

The digipack edition will include a bonus DVD with behind-the-scenes footage and expanded artwork.

Source: behemoth.pl
Band profile: Behemoth

Posted: 27.05.2009 by Abattoir

Comments

Daggon - 19.05.2009 at 08:59
The artwork seems really cool
kayla - 19.05.2009 at 09:13
I expected alot better for the album cover.
Uirapuru - 19.05.2009 at 09:35
Very nice, again with the oriental themes.

7th August :/ that's a lot of time...
kea - 19.05.2009 at 10:00
Demigod still has the best cover and inlay booklet IMHO.
Deadmeat - 19.05.2009 at 10:09
I didn't like this artork... to be honest it is one of the worst DM artworks i've ever seen... at least they are going to release the album 2 months earlier and this is something really nice!!!!
Clintagram - 19.05.2009 at 11:32
I actually really like this artwork. It's a nice change from the usual over-produced covers that Behemoth have. Plus it looks like a good Doom Metal album cover, to me at least. Perhaps the album cover reflects a musical change too? We'll see.
Tod_Engel - 19.05.2009 at 12:39
The cover art looks nice. Hopefully new songs will be even better..
-Soulreaper- - 19.05.2009 at 15:10
I really like the album cover too. Its a break from the norm and leaves you pondering as to what it could mean.
Judas - 19.05.2009 at 15:47
Really nice artwork, here's to hoping that the music matches it!
TheBigRossowski - 19.05.2009 at 17:54
Who doesn't like the artwork?! Well... besides Deadmeat...guy...

Nergal always has his ideas sorted out, great Dude!
=maD.Doc:. - 19.05.2009 at 18:19
Didn't quite like the cover art neither. It's to simple for Behemoth. Well, hope the music is good as always though!
Derwood - 19.05.2009 at 20:04
This is the album I'm most looking forward to this year. I like the artwork; the medieval woodcut feel really suits the visual theme. The Whore of Babylon exploits some potent symbolism from the Christian mythos. Many Evangelical churches (as well as several of the reformers) equate her with the Catholic Church while the Catholics connect her to civil powers. Nergal's lyrics are always among the most thought provoking in extreme metal and I'm sure will do this theme justice.
Deadmeat - 19.05.2009 at 20:18
Written by TheBigRossowski on 19.05.2009 at 17:54

Who doesn't like the artwork?! Well... besides Deadmeat...guy...

Nergal always has his ideas sorted out, great Dude!

this artwork is far away from the DM style and especialy for behemoth who play DM in the fast and brutal way. even the colors of it make me imagine everything except DM... if it was another band, another styloe etc i may have said that it is nice3. but for behemoth yeah it has no point imo...
TheBigRossowski - 19.05.2009 at 20:32
Written by Deadmeat on 19.05.2009 at 20:18

Written by TheBigRossowski on 19.05.2009 at 17:54

Who doesn't like the artwork?! Well... besides Deadmeat...guy...

Nergal always has his ideas sorted out, great Dude!

Maybe you should re-evaluate the lyrical concepts that Nergal is aiming for. This isn't Hammer Smashed Face for Christ's sake. Death metal bands don't have to necessarily stick to the same topics. Behemoth has almost always remained on the same theme.
Deadmeat - 19.05.2009 at 20:43
Written by TheBigRossowski on 19.05.2009 at 20:32

Written by Deadmeat on 19.05.2009 at 20:18

Written by TheBigRossowski on 19.05.2009 at 17:54

Who doesn't like the artwork?! Well... besides Deadmeat...guy...

Nergal always has his ideas sorted out, great Dude!

yeah but they had covers with black, grey etc colours and not white and orange. this is my main problem...
Plaguebearer - 19.05.2009 at 22:17
Written by kayla on 19.05.2009 at 09:13

I expected alot better for the album cover.

same here
Joseph Fletcher - 19.05.2009 at 22:25
What? THAT'S cool artwork? Demigod and The Apostasy had way better artwork - not that really matters, as long as the music is good, of course.
matos - 19.05.2009 at 23:40
Not the best artwork, but it's not that bad. I'm sure Nergal knows what he's doing. Besides that; cover tell nothing about the album, remember the great covers of Cryptopsy last album, or Satyricon's Age of Nero - great covers (imo), certainly not good albums
NaittsirK - 20.05.2009 at 00:35
Aaaaa!
They are back to the New Aeonic philosophy of Thelema !
Masterful...
93 to all who knowest the word!
BreadGod - 20.05.2009 at 01:17
For a minute there, I was expecting giant fighting robots. That would have made a much better album cover.
TormentoR. - 20.05.2009 at 02:21
I saw the pic in a small box and until is zoomed the pic i thought they went back to pagan and more black metal stuff.. but no,, seems they ll continiue with the newer stuff, just the artwork is a bit unusual..but still cool
Black Conundrum - 20.05.2009 at 06:14
Meh, I don't like the album cover either.
Kurimus - 20.05.2009 at 10:38
I like it. Nothing to add.
Deimos - 20.05.2009 at 18:28
:devil::dcool:
f*** yeeeaaaah..............
TheBigRossowski - 20.05.2009 at 19:40
Written by Deadmeat on 19.05.2009 at 20:43

Written by TheBigRossowski on 19.05.2009 at 20:32

Written by Deadmeat on 19.05.2009 at 20:18

Written by TheBigRossowski on 19.05.2009 at 17:54

Who doesn't like the artwork?! Well... besides Deadmeat...guy...

Nergal always has his ideas sorted out, great Dude!

Just the logo is orange... but maybe red would have been a TAD bit more suiting.

93 to the 'N' Dude!
GutturalNinja - 21.05.2009 at 03:22
I really like the new artwork, it has a different feel to it. The only disappointing thing is that the logo's color is random. It should have been white, black or grey so it goes with the old aspect of the cover.
ThunderAxe1989 - 22.05.2009 at 01:23
So the artwork is just black and white? errrm, i don't really like it.
Ladushky - 25.05.2009 at 10:12
Artwork was cute! so where can i get "evangelion"?
Deadmeat - 25.05.2009 at 15:44
Written by Ladushky on 25.05.2009 at 10:12

Artwork was cute! so where can i get "evangelion"?

No-where!!!! it will be released in about 3 months from now...
LeChron James - 27.05.2009 at 12:51
This better be a good birfday present or ima light shit ablaze.
Judas - 27.05.2009 at 14:31
Ahaha, continued use of 'ov'. Gotta love it. Can't wait for this!
Deadmeat - 27.05.2009 at 14:47
The song titles look nice!!! especialy demonos and he who needs pestilence sound great!!!
Uirapuru - 27.05.2009 at 15:43
Cool tracklisting... hope the music are as awesome as the song titles.
=maD.Doc:. - 27.05.2009 at 18:04
Written by Judas on 27.05.2009 at 14:31

Ahaha, continued use of 'ov'. Gotta love it. Can't wait for this!

Well of course! To use "of" insted of "ov" wouldn't be right with there themes and all! Old-school spelling =)
MetalSpider - 27.05.2009 at 18:57
I think the artwork is pretty cool.

After watching their recent Youtube videos, I think the album is going to be their best one to date. Ov Fire and the Void sounds amazing!
Slyfang - 28.05.2009 at 05:37
Written by TheBigRossowski on 20.05.2009 at 19:40

Written by Deadmeat on 19.05.2009 at 20:43

Written by TheBigRossowski on 19.05.2009 at 20:32

Written by Deadmeat on 19.05.2009 at 20:18

Written by TheBigRossowski on 19.05.2009 at 17:54

Who doesn't like the artwork?! Well... besides Deadmeat...guy...

Nergal always has his ideas sorted out, great Dude!

93 to the 'N' Dude!

err.. orange is absolutely perfect, it's the colour of fire. red would have just made it look more like some.. vampiric blood thing. and while the cover is great, the whole picture doesn't really fit Behemoth's music too well. it's too subtle..
Got Mayhem? - 29.05.2009 at 03:32
Has anyone gone to the page and seen the little promo shot of Nergal, Inferno and Orion?
Darski looks like he did in the Conquer All vid
Inferno looks 60 years old with that beard and is wearing a skirt (Kilt?)
and Orion has some incredibly baggy pants on...

Album sounds awesome so far...but I hope they don't go with this image for their album/Concerts/ Etc...
Black Conundrum - 29.05.2009 at 07:04
Written by Judas on 27.05.2009 at 14:31

Ahaha, continued use of 'ov'. Gotta love it. Can't wait for this!

I userd to spell "of" like that, even for school assignments. I quit that after a few weeks, though.
Judas - 29.05.2009 at 10:53
Written by Black Conundrum on 29.05.2009 at 07:04

Written by Judas on 27.05.2009 at 14:31

Ahaha, continued use of 'ov'. Gotta love it. Can't wait for this!

Haha, after your teachers started failing you for it?
Black Conundrum - 29.05.2009 at 23:35
Written by Judas on 29.05.2009 at 10:53

Written by Black Conundrum on 29.05.2009 at 07:04

Written by Judas on 27.05.2009 at 14:31

Ahaha, continued use of 'ov'. Gotta love it. Can't wait for this!

Haha, after your teachers started failing you for it?

That would definitely be a valid reason, but they weren't failing me for it, really. I used the traditional spelling of "of" in essays and formal stuff like that, but assignments of lesser rank were where all the ov's were. But I kind of decided that I didn't enjoy spelling it like that as much as I used to, so I gradually went back to the formal spelling. It was worth spelling "of" like "ov" and it was nice while I was doing it. I was a freshman in high school when I did that.
Opethian - 31.05.2009 at 09:55
So all of of a sudden it comes down to the bands Album Cover? The album cover is just the Icing on The Cake ! How could you ever judge an album by its cover?? I'm a HUGE Opeth fan and i must admit that they do not have the best album covers, but the music is something that i cannot comprehend

I personally love Behemoths new cover art Nothing but high hopes for this new album. "The Apostasy" PWND !!!!!!!
TheBodycage - 03.06.2009 at 15:29
Being a graphic artist whose niche market is musicians, i pay alot of attention to album art and packaging.
Honestly you can't judge an album by it's cover, countless times i've seen a great looking cd only to know that band was utter tripe.
However, a band of this calibre (or any band really) needs to have clever marketing and good promotion material to back it up, incite interest, reach its target audience and as always gain new fans.
Album art is important.
Whether its any good or not is left to personal interpretation and a matter of a opinion.

I think the illustration is fantastic, replicating a lithograph and fits very well with the biblical theme.
AbdelioR - 05.06.2009 at 17:00
Nice artwork

News Skálmöld - New Album Cover Artwork And Release Date Revealed 10 23.08.2012 by Alex Fenger
News Catamenia - New Album Release Date Announced, Artwork Revealed 10 31.08.2008 by Pétur
News Tenhi - New Album Artwork And Release Date Revealed 10 11.10.2011 by !J.O.O.E.!
News Demon Hunter - New Album Title And Release Date Revealed 8.5 10.01.2010 by StarBarer
News U.D.O. - New Album Title And Release Date Revealed 8.5 02.09.2010 by Valentin B