The first details about a new Nightwish album are surfacing. In a recent interview, keyboard player Tuomas Holopainen revealed he already wrote three new songs for the new album, including a 3min30 instrumental interlude. In the same interview, Tuomas said the new album will be will be his way to realise his biggest dream since he plays music:

"First of all when it comes to music and Nightwish I have a huge dream and we are doing everything we can to fulfill it on the next album. I am going to be a bit mystical here because I can't reveal to you anymore but there is going to be a big twist so to say, on the next album. I just hope we can realize that because it is going to be the all time dream come true if we can pull it off. It is going to take alot of time, effort, work, and money. We will see what happens, I am really looking forward to it."

The new album will be released by the end of 2010.

In other news, you can watch a full Nightwish live show, from the Exit Festival 2008, by clicking here.

Source: nightwish-world.com
Band profile: Nightwish

Posted: 15.06.2009 by Ruudz

Comments

Janne - 15.06.2009 at 17:48
2010? that's so far..
Harlequin - 15.06.2009 at 17:51
It's going to be an all acoustic album without vocals and the whole band gets to play keyboard. Yay.
Baz Anderson - 15.06.2009 at 17:51
A lot of time, effort and money? Maybe he is thinking of doing some kind of musical show, something like they planned to do with the new Judas Priest album.
Ag Fox - 15.06.2009 at 18:06
"the end" of 2010 as well D:
Shadowcross - 15.06.2009 at 18:08
Written by Janne on 15.06.2009 at 17:48

2010? that's so far..

Sounds worth waiting for
Nightwish never lets me down.. I'm thinking it will be on a large scale with a strong theme to it and perhaps music Tuomas did not want to release until he had the means to make it EXACTLY how he visioned it
GT - 15.06.2009 at 18:25
Sounds interesting with the twist he's talking about. Hope it works out for them.
Ag Fox - 15.06.2009 at 18:31
I just hope it won't be something overly sexed up like Blind Guardian's Night At the Opera...
corrupt - 15.06.2009 at 19:03
Could also be a concept album. Or they break with the old style and try new music. I believe they were founded to make acoustic campfire music anyway and the electric part came more or less by accident. As long as they don't try to make Anette into Tarja 2 like they did on the last one I'm at least interested.
The Shape 1973 - 15.06.2009 at 20:58
Don't know how to feel about this.
Excited- because it's a new album coming.
Worried- because every time a band says there will be a twist it turns out to be crap.
Intrigued- because it is Tuomas's dream, as he usually produces genius.
Worried again- because it might turn out to be another Wintersun "Time", and take the rest of "Time" for them to finish it.
Hope- because the whole album could be like the title track of the last album, which was brilliant.
Nickferatu367 - 15.06.2009 at 21:51
Bout f-in time
BitterCOld - 15.06.2009 at 22:06
Well, we know what the MS Awards in 2010 will show as biggest surprise and biggest let-down...
Collin - 15.06.2009 at 22:14
Written by The Shape 1973 on 15.06.2009 at 20:58

Dark Passion Play didn't have a title track... If you mean The Poet And The Pendulum, then I definitely agree with you, this song was maybe the best they ever recorded IMO If they could do a whole album along these lines it would be awesome. Though I hope the "twist" means they're gonna turn to brutal death with Annette Whatever growling her ass off
Black Conundrum - 15.06.2009 at 22:39
Written by Collin on 15.06.2009 at 22:14

Written by The Shape 1973 on 15.06.2009 at 20:58

That would be hilarious.

This album does seem to be worth waiting for. It's going to be a long wait, though, considering that it i splanned to be released at the end of 2010. That's the next decade!
Talvi - 15.06.2009 at 23:04
Now I listen to good music so I don't care about Nightwish anymore
Elio - 15.06.2009 at 23:56
Written by Talvi on 15.06.2009 at 23:04

Now I listen to good music so I don't care about Nightwish anymore

Shut up you still do.
dismaleuphony - 16.06.2009 at 00:36
Written by Collin on 15.06.2009 at 22:14

Yes, if they make an entire album like "The Poet..." I'd even pre-order the disc now.

To me, the more exciting Tuomas's orchestrations, keyboards lines, and arrangements are, the more I'll love it. I hope he focuses on excellent writing and can tune out the pressure from the last album now that the lineup is well established.
Fat & Sassy! - 16.06.2009 at 01:27
Written by Harlequin on 15.06.2009 at 17:51

It's going to be an all acoustic album without vocals...

That's what I was thinking, seeing as how that is what Nightwish was supposed to be.
Ag Fox - 16.06.2009 at 01:28
Written by Collin on 15.06.2009 at 22:14

Written by The Shape 1973 on 15.06.2009 at 20:58

totally agree every bit of it XD

but I really hope it won't be acoustic
Thorion_Covenant - 16.06.2009 at 02:26
I'm very excited for this. I wonder what the twist is going to be. Are they going to be working with the London Symphony Orchestra?

I got to meet Toumas on their last tour. Really intelligent guy, really down to earth. Super nice.

I was wearing a Finntroll t-shirt at the time, and I asked him if he knew why Finntroll canned their lead singer, where he replied "I don't know, but that seems to be a growing trend now-a-days"

The look on everyone's face was priceless.
LeChron James - 16.06.2009 at 03:40
Hopefully this new album will make Annette more smoke resistant
tulkas - 16.06.2009 at 04:13
If it's due till end of 2010, then it better be good. that's a lot of time
Trojanman190 - 16.06.2009 at 05:29
Ugh that's a long wait.
Kolo21892 - 16.06.2009 at 05:42
Okay, so Tuomas said the new album would take a lot of time, effort, work, and money to produce.

How could this possibly be an acoustic album then? If anything, it seems an acoustic album would be a helluva lot cheaper than using an orchestra, vocal mixes, and amps, and guitar techs, and drum techs, etc.

Having said that, you have to ask yourself, "what the hell takes a lot of time, effort, work, and money?"

My answer: I think Tuomas is planning a full blown rock opera like The Wall or Tommy. That would explain the unreasonably distant release date. Also, can you imagine how much a tour of that would cost? To act all that shit out and stuff? They would have to pay for actors, maybe props,
whatever else... That's just my opinion.

I trust Tuomas' work ethic. Whatever it is, for that amount of waiting time, it better give me the biggest eargasm I've ever had.
insanity.peppers - 16.06.2009 at 06:56
Makes sense it would take so long, just think how huge DDP was

This is definitely an album worth waiting for. I just hope the surprise isn't that Tarja has agreed to come back on board for part of the album. It wouldn't be bad, just a kick in the band and Anette's teeth after all the shit they went through.

As long as Marco sings another islander/while your lips are still red song I'll be a happy camper =)
Daggon - 16.06.2009 at 07:25
So, then it may be an Accoustic Symphonic Brutal Death metal album?

Let's see if it they can use correctly Annette's voice, I didn't like too much their last effort
annodomini - 16.06.2009 at 10:06
For Musical Anette would not fit. So maybe there will be some guest stars and singers if there really will be a musical. And now about time...

What the f. you are talking here about. The end of 2010 is so long... Bla bla... Have you ever tried to write a song, and then to make it good, and then to make it original and that will feel for you? NW is not so original band, but they also are not some shitty death metal where you can create riff in 10 minutes. It is about emotions. Tuomas is not song writer, he is a Composer, so that needs time to grow on music, lyrics, vocal lines and other stuff.

I hope this will be a good album, and another step forward. DPP is too small fo them, now they need something HUGE.
Italics - 16.06.2009 at 10:13
I'll bet you anything it'll be something along the lines of them having a music video for every song, and the whole entire album being some kind of story/rock opera.

You heard it here first.
annodomini - 16.06.2009 at 10:33
Written by Italics on 16.06.2009 at 10:13

You heard it here first.

I have also though abou music videos, maybe even some kind of movie of rock opera.
Uirapuru - 16.06.2009 at 10:50
Why announce so early?...
DarkMoor99 - 16.06.2009 at 12:02
The END of 2010, damn, that is long. But I'm looking forward to it.
annodomini - 16.06.2009 at 13:29
Written by Uirapuru on 16.06.2009 at 10:50

Why announce so early?...

It is not officialy announced. It's just an interview.
Shadowcross - 16.06.2009 at 13:50
Written by Thorion_Covenant on 16.06.2009 at 02:26

The look on everyone's face was priceless.

that really is priceless! He'd know exactly why considering the guy sang on Oceanborn! They'd be old friends.
Shadowcross - 16.06.2009 at 13:52
Oceanborn II perhaps ??
The Shape 1973 - 16.06.2009 at 20:46
Written by Kolo21892 on 16.06.2009 at 05:42

whatever else... That's just my opinion.

From all of the guesses on this thread I think that this is the closest, i've been thinking about this all day and came up with the same conclusion, can't wait if this is correct. Imagine what this would be like live.
kayla - 17.06.2009 at 07:55
Damn the end of 2010 is a long ways away but I look forward to hearing the new album. I'm also very eager to know what this "twist" is Hopefully it's for the better
Angel_Lament - 17.06.2009 at 12:33
2010??? Thats too long, hope it will worth waiting from what he said about his dream fulfill....
H-metal - 18.06.2009 at 01:57
Hope Tarja gets back will the end of 2010.
Westvann - 22.06.2009 at 22:56
Its a time to wait but im think the new album wil be fantastic:) nightwish have never made a "bad" album and im dont think this is going to be the first;D long time to wait but i think its worth waiting:lol:
Already dead - 23.06.2009 at 01:16
Omg.. we have to wait..
The Night Wisher - 13.07.2009 at 01:22
Okay , that's enough Nw is my very best band ever , and Anette is Tuomas's choice he wanted her to be the lead singer , it's not her fault taking songs that doesn't go with her vocals , on the contrary she's a hard working singer trying to do her best and to take bad words from some ASSHOLES who don't have anything than saying Tarja Tarja , okay if you like Tarja she's her solo album go and buy it and don't ever listen to Nightwish ,,,
Ellrohir - 16.07.2009 at 14:52
Written by H-metal on 18.06.2009 at 01:57

Hope Tarja gets back will the end of 2010.

she is walking alone, so...
freeforeternity - 25.10.2009 at 13:54
For some reason, this made me think of a live orchestra and choir. i hope that my thoughts are correct...
Freddie Medina - 19.11.2009 at 09:07
Damn, so looooong away
SatyriconChick - 19.11.2009 at 22:53
Wonder what Tuomas means by "twist?" Well, whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be an amazing aural experience. Can't wait for the new album, whenever it comes out! I know it'll be well worth the wait.
Elodie Artour - 17.01.2010 at 21:45
I can't wait to hear it, too! Ever since I read those news I've been wondering how the new songs would sound like. I also hope that they will be suitable to Anette's voice.
Ksandr - 21.02.2010 at 17:34
It's koooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dpopcorn:

News Nightwish - New Album Listening Session Teaser Online 7.5 08.11.2011 by The Shape 1973
News Riverside - Start Working On New Album 5.5 02.03.2012 by BloodTears