Nine Inch Nails and Rage Against The Machine have joined efforts with some other rock and pop artists (such as Pearl Jam, Jackson Browne and R.E.M.) to campaign against the use of their music in Guantanamo Bay to torture the detainees. The National Security Archive, an independent research institute that is based in Washington, have uncovered under the Freedom of Information Act about 20 classified documents that detail the use of loud music as "an interrogation device" to "create futility" in uncooperative detainees.

Terror suspects have been tortured with songs by Rage Against the Machine, Deicide ("Fuck Your God"), Metallica ("Enter Sandman"), Britney Spears, the theme tune to Sesame Street, Barney the Dinosaur's title song and a number of tracks by shock rocker Marilyn Manson. One detainee spent hours being forced to listen to Drowning Pool's "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor". Some inmates also complained of being subjected to the work of Eminem, Bruce Springsteen ("Born in the U.S.A.") and the Bee Gees in order to prevent them sleeping.

The musicians, in collaboration with the National Security Archive, are participating in The National Campaign to Close Guantanamo. Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello said: "Guantanamo may be Dick Cheney's idea of America, but it's not mine. The fact that music I helped create was used in crimes against humanity sickens me - we need to end torture and close Guantanamo now."

The CIA insist that if music was played at Guantanamo, it was played at "levels far below a live rock band".

Source: telegraph.co.uk
Band profile: Nine Inch Nails

Posted: 24.10.2009 by Magatouve

Comments

Metal Maiden - 24.10.2009 at 15:58
Levels far below a live rock band, heh...then maybe the CIA should invite Deicide to actually perform a live show there...so the detainees can...enjoy them fully...hahaha...And they can stream it live in the internet under the tag "Live Torture"...or, "Live in Guantanamo"...Hell, that even sounds like DVD material to me...
Then they can use the funds gathered to invest in surround sound HD sound systems in Guantanamo...Only then maybe someone will be able to protest against the noise levels, I guess...
necrovamp - 24.10.2009 at 16:21
I find it funny that we all love music that is torture to other people! (im using the term metal not mentioning any bands)

Seriously it's quite bad...Music is for enjoyment not torture, that and it seems they didn't asl the artist...

you do get some wankers in the world..
Warman - 24.10.2009 at 16:37
This use of music is discusting to me.
K†ulu - 24.10.2009 at 17:34
I agree with Morello. This is sick and abominable.
DayFly - 24.10.2009 at 17:56
Concerning levels far below a live rock band, well I guess they are at least right about that which does not excuse it either way.

It's still hardly the worst thing that could happen (or is happening) there though.
Vitriolic Hate - 24.10.2009 at 17:57
Written by Warman on 24.10.2009 at 16:37

This use of music is discusting to me.

yeah absolutely
Introspekrieg - 24.10.2009 at 18:57
Quote:
One detainee spent hours being forced to listen to the Drowning Pool's "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor".

Oh. My. God.
LeChron James - 24.10.2009 at 20:54
All bands should join this regardless of genre. i'd confess to shit too if i had to spend hours listening to the sesame street song for more than 10 minutes, much less hours.
Bad English - 24.10.2009 at 21:22
How the fuck such muisc can tourture priosners even i love Bruce and REM, but tourture, it proves people who sit there is so low mindet retired thet they never heard good thinks from USA
The Shape 1973 - 24.10.2009 at 22:11
Can you imagine being tied in a room being forced to listen to metal, sign me up, I'm a terrorist, I hate the west, death to the infidels........ oh! hang on, Barney the dinosaur, my god they are animals, no not Barney, have they no limits to their torture tactics?..... fucking hell Sesame Street, bastards. BRITANY, they're not human, such evil.
Daggon - 24.10.2009 at 23:03
Written by The Shape 1973 on 24.10.2009 at 22:11

Can you imagine being tied in a room being forced to listen to metal, sign me up, I'm a terrorist, I hate the west, death to the infidels........ oh! hang on, Barney the dinosaur, my god they are animals, no not Barney, have they no limits to their torture tactics?..... fucking hell Sesame Street, bastards. BRITANY, their not human, such evil.

Barney... THOSE BASTERDS!!!

Well, hope more bands will join this initiative, music is not the problem here, that prison IS the real problem.
The Shape 1973 - 24.10.2009 at 23:07
Written by Daggon on 24.10.2009 at 23:03

Written by The Shape 1973 on 24.10.2009 at 22:11

Barney... THOSE BASTERDS!!!

I love you, you love me, we're a happy family, with a great big hug and a........... I can't get this song out of my head now, Damn you Barney, you big purple bastard.
Ag Fox - 24.10.2009 at 23:14
Barny the purple dino and Seasame Street... now that must be torture o.0
Ragana - 24.10.2009 at 23:33
Written by Introspekrieg on 24.10.2009 at 18:57

Quote:

Oh. My. God.

If I were a prisoner I wouldn't mind. Anyway, I find this kind of torture very funny and, even more, unaffectively.
Black Conundrum - 25.10.2009 at 02:38
This sort of torture wouldn't affect me (except the Brittany Spears part; I'l probably be at the least somewhat agitated by that). But yeah, this isn't the right way to use music. It's ridiculous. I would sign up to close Quantanamo if I had music involved.
flamesoficarus - 25.10.2009 at 03:03
I read somewhere the Americans used to fly helicopters around blaring music out of loudspeakers... apparantly because of restrictions on outside media they have never heard this music before and it scares the hell out of them
FRIENDSHIP - 25.10.2009 at 05:47
I find this sort of use of music humorous because I would love to listen to Deicide or whatever as a prisoner, but it's kind of sad, especially if the musicians are against it.

It seems perfectly in Tom Morello's character, though, to be against something like this.
Xnoybis - 25.10.2009 at 06:51
Boo fucking hoo.
BreadGod - 25.10.2009 at 07:11
Using 'Enter Sandman' to torture prisoners? Please. If you really want to torture someone, make them listen to Enmity's "Illuminations of Vile Engorgement" album for 9 hours straight.
tulkas - 25.10.2009 at 07:22
Written by Ragana on 24.10.2009 at 23:33

Exactly! And on the contrary, I'd be ok with it... unless they foreced me to listen to reggaeton all day, Now that there would be a torture!! But I do support the musicians, and what Morello says.
nb - 25.10.2009 at 21:32
This is awful, and I agree and understand that musicians would complain if their music is used for such ends.
I guess that listening to the same song over and over, even if you like it , will make you sick. Recall Alex in the Clockwork Orange: He loved Beethoven's 9th symphony and then he was "treated" to stop being violent by playing that symphony together with violent images, so that he would get "cured". After that he was supposedly cured, and he could not stand Beethoven's 9th anymore.
Imagine someone, who has never heard metal, listening to Deicide....
Hopefully they stop doing this sort of crap.
Peyo Sinister - 25.10.2009 at 23:00
Why don't they use FUCK THE USA by The Exploited?? huh?? fucking criminals
magatouve - 26.10.2009 at 00:47
Written by Peyo Sinister on 25.10.2009 at 23:00

Why don't they use FUCK THE USA by The Exploited?? huh?? fucking criminals

This is a good song... I just checked it out.
visiblenoise - 26.10.2009 at 07:23
I don't believe that the RIAA hasn't gotten on this yet. They should be making mucho dinero because their property is being used to fight terrorism. Right, RIAA?
Syk - 27.10.2009 at 16:15
Written by Ragana on 24.10.2009 at 23:33
Written by Introspekrieg on 24.10.2009 at 18:57
Quote:
Oh. My. God.
Written by FRIENDSHIP on 25.10.2009 at 05:47

Written by tulkas on 25.10.2009 at 07:22
Written by Ragana on 24.10.2009 at 23:33
I think you guys are missing the point. How would you like not being able to sleep for days on end because of music being blasted in your face, the likes of which you've never heard before or, and will pretty soon anyway, have heard way too fucking much to bear? IIRC [some of] the detainees there haven't even been found guilty of anything, they're just awaiting trial
Written by visiblenoise on 26.10.2009 at 07:23
Or, as prohibited on most recordings, "public broadcast" - is this the ultimate proof that RIAA execs are only interested in the downfall of humanity?

This event was probably inevitable since the details got leaked to media outlets - musicians like these would have all their integrity shattered without reacting in some manner, with the reports bound to get picked up by some of their active fans. It should bring a good result too, for everyone who's worth it
tulkas - 27.10.2009 at 16:21
@syk: But all in all it just seems a stupid way of "torturing" people, considering all the other, more brutal, raw, really torturing, methods that are commonly used.
Shadowcross - 27.10.2009 at 16:45
That Drowning Pool song is so terrible. pure torture.

a fatwa on Drowning Pool!!
magatouve - 27.10.2009 at 22:05
Written by tulkas on 27.10.2009 at 16:21

Tulkas... preventing from sleep is not a soft way of torture. It's as brutal as most other physical types of torture. A human brain cannot endure more than 3 sleepless nights, I think,... it dies afterwards.
tulkas - 28.10.2009 at 00:04
Written by magatouve on 27.10.2009 at 22:05

Written by tulkas on 27.10.2009 at 16:21

Well, yeah (though I read somewhere that the world record of longest time without sleeping was over 15 days, hehe). It may not be a soft way, but I just think that I'd prefer that than getting electric shocks constantly, or beating you up and cutting you, and... well, whatever. But I do see your point
Ellrohir - 28.10.2009 at 12:53
What is this, Americans? arent you happy that your government is protecting you from evil terrorists?
AiwiAstwihad - 28.10.2009 at 16:08
Written by tulkas on 27.10.2009 at 16:21

In contray, i think white torture or whatever else it's called is really effective, it breaks the strongest people who won't break under the most severe physical torture. Islamic Republic makes dissident theorecians renounce all they've done so far by keeping them in a tiny soundproof cell all alone for months making them believe they are left forgotten, threatening their families...No connection with the outter world for months and then feeding them with wrong info...
If i'm ever to be jailed, i want to be sent to Guantanamo instead of IR's prisons.

BTW, this reminds me of Metallica's My Friend Of Misery: "One man's fun is another's hell"
tulkas - 28.10.2009 at 16:13
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 28.10.2009 at 16:08

That's what I mean, there are other methods if torture that are more brutal than making them listen to music. For example what you say, making them think they are left forgotten, or threatening their families.
Solstafir! - 07.11.2009 at 21:45
Written by Warman on 24.10.2009 at 16:37

This use of music is discusting to me.

Agreed...perverted use of good music...
makes me sick to my stomach...

News Nine Inch Nails - Drummer To Leave The Band 9 11.10.2008 by LeChron James
News Nine Inch Nails - Reznor Announces Return Of The Band 9 25.02.2013 by Introspekrieg
News Trent Reznor - Wins Oscar For Best Original Score 7.5 28.02.2011 by Marcus
News Nine Inch Nails - Announces More USA Tour Dates 7.5 27.08.2008 by Black Conundrum
Albums Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral 7.5 12.03.2010 by Uirapuru