Iced Earth mainman Jon Schaffer has announced a new project/solo album that he's been working on the last several months called Sons of Liberty.

"For the last several months I have been working on a new project/solo album called Sons of Liberty. My desire is for Sons of Liberty to become part of a much larger movement that is happening around the world. This new website will be a think-tank containing lots of interesting web-links, book and movie recommendations, and much more. This will be an ongoing process, so check back often. I care very much about what is happening in our world, we've been steamrolling down this road for a long time, so I assure you this is not a politically biased message. I'm hoping to set a few brush-fires in the minds of the listeners with this one. So please, check it out, do the research and get involved."

On the Sons Of Liberty website visitors are able to download and listen to this new Brush-Fires Of The Mind album for free. You can now also purchase a high-resolution version.

Brush-Fires Of The Mind tracklist:

(Also thanks to Biedrik)

Source: icedearth.com
Band profile: Iced Earth

Posted: 18.12.2009 by BrightNight

Comments

CyGuy6587 - 18.12.2009 at 21:37
I really don't see the point to be honest. Schaffer has always been the main song-writer for Iced Earth, so why not just make it another Iced Earty album? Sounds exactly like IE anyway, only Schaffer singing rather than Barlow
CyGuy6587 - 18.12.2009 at 21:39
Also when I think Sons of Liberty, I think of the video game Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
treptolemus - 18.12.2009 at 21:51
Well, i thought of the rebels "The Sons of Korhal" from my favourite pc game: Starcraft! Speaking of games

Is he trying to do something else? I'm curious nonetheless...
I will check the website - it's a promise!
prk - 18.12.2009 at 21:58
Written by CyGuy6587 on 18.12.2009 at 21:37

iced earth already has a song called don't tread on me, so when he wanted to write another one by the same name he was forced to create a new band for it.. duh
insanity.peppers - 18.12.2009 at 22:05
Has anybody else clicked that "Meet the Shackles" link at the bnottom of the website? He's saying anybody who doesn't think the "American" way should be imprisoned with spikes through their hands ... unless I'm grossly misinterpreting it. No politically biased message my ass...
Uirapuru - 18.12.2009 at 22:32
Lame...
bard - 18.12.2009 at 22:50
I never realized that Shcaffer was such a paranoid guy. I was hoping the music would stand up by itself, but...no, not really.
bard - 18.12.2009 at 23:02
Written by insanity.peppers on 18.12.2009 at 22:05

If you read what he says about the shackles, he basically explains that they are a symbol of people's eventual enslavement to big international banks. He's saying that we all need to rally against some oncoming malevolent global bureaucracy or we'll all end up in chains with no ability to resist or go back. I know it's all self aware, but it still seems really paranoid.
Holy Man - 18.12.2009 at 23:38
This is just kind of weird... I knew Schaffer was all about American Pride and all, but this shit's kinda scary... like he's off his rocker all of a sudden... crazy conspiracy theory shit... I'm not entirely sure what to think...
Number Juan - 19.12.2009 at 01:19
I'll probably check out the album but stay away from the nutty conspiracy theory website, thanks.
Black Conundrum - 19.12.2009 at 01:33
Congratulations to Jon Schaffer for making this project. It does seem a little bit, um, patriotic though. I'm not confident to believe that it isn't politically biased, comsidering the song titles and other stuff, but I'll have to check this band out sometime.
Holy Man - 19.12.2009 at 01:45
Maybe Jon Schaffer went and had lunch with Dave Mustaine and Tom Morello.... hahaha
Darkside Momo - 19.12.2009 at 01:57
Written by Holy Man on 19.12.2009 at 01:45

If either Mustaine or Shaffer had lunch with Morello, they'd probably have a good fight if they ever discuss politics.
Lord_Regnier - 19.12.2009 at 02:03
Schaffer has lost all inspiration and can't write good songs for Iced Earth anymore.
And now he's writing songs for a new band? Bad idea.

He should stick to IE and focus on writing decent material, instead. TCOM was excrutiatingly boring. I make the prediction that IE will be over in less than 5 years.

He's so hopelessly out of inspiration he even recycles a song title.
insanity.peppers - 19.12.2009 at 02:53
Written by bard on 18.12.2009 at 23:02

Wait wait, I'm still confused. So is the "Infinity Shackles" page supposed to be sarcastic? He's not actually condoning this idea of violently enslaving "free-thinker terrorists", is he? I feel like a retard asking but please someone explain this to me

Written by Lord_Regnier on 19.12.2009 at 02:03

And now he's writing songs for a new band? Bad idea.

I don't think he's lost inspiration, he's just getting it from the wrong place. Maybe that's Blind Guardian's fault?
ponderer - 19.12.2009 at 03:20
Glad to see more Americans are finally waking up
Magatouve - 19.12.2009 at 05:43
Written by Holy Man on 18.12.2009 at 23:38

I am not sure he endorses all the ideas in the books and the documentaries he is listing. But even conspiracy theories, regardless if true or not, they may highlight or illuminate certain aspects of our lives which we normally skip over. In literature and cinema, lots of works feature themes related to those of conspiracy theories. Huxley's Brave New World, Orwell's 1984, and the Matrix are all about how our lives are more and more getting controlled by a small number of people.
Magatouve - 19.12.2009 at 05:47
Written by Lord_Regnier on 19.12.2009 at 02:03

And now he's writing songs for a new band? Bad idea.

He's so hopelessly out of inspiration he even recycles a song title.

I make the prediction that IE is already over and will never rise again. Schaffer appears really to have lost musical inspiration as you said. in the 1990's people were hailing IE as something that could be compared with Iron Maiden, but since the 2000's they never produced anything of high quality
DoomGuard - 19.12.2009 at 07:53
Written by Lord_Regnier on 19.12.2009 at 02:03

And now he's writing songs for a new band? Bad idea.

He's so hopelessly out of inspiration he even recycles a song title.

I don't think he's outta inspiration, he's just really taken an interest in this very patriotic stuff....Plus TCOM isn't boring, noone even gave it a chance, just one listen and thats it. Come What May and In Sacred Flames are 2 IE songs in my top 5
MLSilbernagel - 19.12.2009 at 08:56
JON SCHAFFER goes GLENN BECK on your ass muthafuuuuckas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brutal metal for Amerikkka!
Valentin B - 19.12.2009 at 09:39
Schaffer is a brilliant guitarist, but his world views are pretty weird, i don't really care if the music stays good(and the last IE album was ok)
Holy Man - 19.12.2009 at 09:44
Whether it's IE or D&W he can still write good tunes... No matter what the subject matter.
DBrave - 19.12.2009 at 11:43
Sons of Liberty - Brush-Fires Of The Mind is a fantastic album !!
And its free !

I can't be asshole to ask for more...
Lord_Regnier - 19.12.2009 at 15:58
Written by Magatouve on 19.12.2009 at 05:47

Written by Lord_Regnier on 19.12.2009 at 02:03

And now he's writing songs for a new band? Bad idea.

He's so hopelessly out of inspiration he even recycles a song title.

Let me bring some precision. What I meant is I believe the band will have called a quit less than 5 years from now. I mean that the band won't exist anymore.

Musically, the band is already over. From a songwriting point of view, IE is finished. I can hardly imagine a worst generic chugga-chug borefest than TCOM. When you touch the bottom like that, it's a very long way to the top. Too long, in fact. All that awaits IE is a painful descent in an abyss of mediocrity.
IE is often compared to Iron Maiden. I wonder if what happened to Maiden could happen to IE. Maiden sucked hardcore for an entire decade (the 90s), then became popular and very successful once more, after a painful descent in an abyss of mediocrity. Who knows? Maybe the same could happen with IE? But I don't believe it will. What saved Maiden is their name but Iced Earth has never been so famous. Far from it.
DBrave - 19.12.2009 at 17:28
That's just your 2 cents... There are people who like the last album...
I think IE have bright future and Schaffer deliver great songs as always...
This album is great for me !
BrightNight - 20.12.2009 at 00:29
A lot of talking out of the ass comments i see.

You should read all of the story before reading one alinea and then give an oppinion. This is in no way a new band this is just a side project in which Jon Schaffer took some intrest in but was not intressting enough to bring forth with his Iced Earth.

The purpose of this "Sons Of Liberty" is to make people more aware about things going on in our world behind the curtain. Its message is: dont believe everything the media and politics feed you with. It got some very cool links and is a good source for people who are intrested in other views on our society and especially by whom it is ruled. I think its very cool and i am anxious to see this thing getting bigger.

It is not a statement, just a way to open up eyes if your intrested. A side project.. If your not, then just put on a Iced Earth record and enjoy one of the purest metal bands there is.
If you like Iced Earth style then you should be happy to download a album for free.

Also, people who complain Jon Schaffer has lost insperation....what do you think this is? The man has always been bussy with several things at once, simply because he has to many ideas in his mind. One of the most divers and hard working musicians in the buisness for sure.
LeChron James - 20.12.2009 at 05:16
Written by CyGuy6587 on 18.12.2009 at 21:39

i was trying to think of where i had heard that name from and you nailed it haha
Clint W. - 20.12.2009 at 06:33
I made a topic about the band if anyone feels obliged to talk more about them. May be easier than news commenting.
Lord_Regnier - 20.12.2009 at 20:30
Written by BrightNight on 20.12.2009 at 00:29

I'm saying that Schaffer has lost inspiration but it has nothing to de with this project.
I'm saying it because if you compare IE's recent songs to the old ones, they feel bland, generic and mediocre.
Nothing that stands out. You listen to TCOM and, as soon as it's over, you can't remember of a single memorable riff.

Diversity my ass, since a while. It's basically the same lackluster stuff all the time.
Listen to "Alive In Athens" and you hear lots of tempo changes, variations, different (and awesome) riffs. The songs have their own identity. Miles ahead of what this band does after SWTWC.

Also, IE was Power/Thrash Metal during the 90s. Since FA, the Thrash element is gone. Listen to "Alive In Athens" and almost every song has uptempo parts, harsher and more aggressive. You don't hear anything of the sort on TCOM and the only Thrashy song on FA is the title song.
The intensity and energy of old is not present on the new stuff.
Obscure - 21.12.2009 at 00:09
This is a cool project from Schaffer.
It got me interested in these things which the site presents, though I've known about some of these before. Loads of information to chew, needs time to determine what makes sense and what not. Gives some topics to think about!

I'd say that Sons of Liberty is in a way very authentic Jon-Schaffer-music.
He said in the interview (video available!) that he put this project in front of everything else because he had a "gut-feeling", an "awakening", and he just had to let it out. Thus this is an album full of honest music.
Can't say, though, that this would be as good as Iced Earth (especially older stuff), but respectable anyway. This project isn't about music, it's about opening eyes.
For me he's accomplished in the mission so far.

And for the Iced Earth's current state with music: where's all the interest in progress and development?
All progress and development can not be towards "better" (opinion thingie here), but at least it's progress and development! Besides this lad has been making music for some 20 years for a living (correct me if I'm wrong), so I don't suppose he will be quitting in a long while.
Heh, also have to say, that I'm not too much into the couple of latest albums, but I'll give 'em a try every once in a while anyway. Barlow and Schaffer still are _the_ sound of IE.

Rooock 'n roll!
BrightNight - 22.12.2009 at 01:38
Written by Lord_Regnier on 20.12.2009 at 20:30

Written by BrightNight on 20.12.2009 at 00:29

The intensity and energy of old is not present on the new stuff.

I have to say that i do agree with you on the Thrash element and raw uptempo of the old songs. Alive In Athens is just one of the most intenste records of all time. They where much more aggressive and in your face. I liked that style more to. But i dont agree if you say all records after that are not diverse. Fair to say they are more power/heavy metal and less thrashy although the way the songs are build up are familiar to me. They still are divers. I had to listen them more to get into it and in order to really enjoy it like the old songs (which grabbed my attention from the first second).

I think Jon Schaffer writes his music from his emotions. Being that in the early days the subjects and themes where more dark fantasy and emotions, so the music was. The later are more based on storylines about the end of the world and hystorical stuff and way less dark. I like both but i have to say that im more into the old style and hope the next Record will be like that again!
BrightNight - 22.12.2009 at 01:43
Written by Obscure on 21.12.2009 at 00:09

This is a cool project from Schaffer.

I'd say that Sons of Liberty is in a way very authentic Jon-Schaffer-music.
For me he's accomplished in the mission so far.

Rooock 'n roll!

The same way i feel about this, its intention is to open minds and eyes and let people talk about this stuff. Doing so with the medium of 'music'. And i to think he's accomplished in the mission so far . And indeed he's more then 20 years in this buisness and always trying to get new ideas on track. Although sometimes it might sound repetitive, this Sons Of Liberty is a refreshing thing to me. Surely not what i expected.
Lord_Regnier - 24.12.2009 at 00:28
Written by BrightNight on 22.12.2009 at 01:38

The music has softened and slowed down way too much for my tastes, indeed.
I can't help it: the new songs sound very weak and dull compared to the old ones.

Same for Iron Maiden if you compare the 80s stuff with what they're doing nowadays.

Both bands have lost all aggressivity, imo. It's still heavy but not aggressive and intense. Therefore boring, imo.
BrightNight - 28.12.2009 at 05:36
Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.12.2009 at 00:28

Written by BrightNight on 22.12.2009 at 01:38

The music has softened and slowed down way too much for my tastes, indeed.

I agree half....i would like to say they lost 'some' aggressivity and are a little less intressting then before maybe. Still not boring at all! Anyway, im always curious when they bring out new stuff.
FariD AzadI - 25.01.2010 at 16:38
I think its a great album....as a songwriter i admire jon schaffer couse its to hard that one person write songs for diffrent bands and they all be diffrent....iced earth-demons & wizards-sons of liberty are all diffrent....the music is diffrent...the lyrics are diffrent....even the atmospher in every one of them is diffrent.....and i like them all...there is no single song that jon has written and i dont like....HE IS THE MASTER OF METAL....

News Matt Barlow - Announces New Project With Freddie Vidales And Van Williams 9 15.07.2012 by WorpeX
News Iced Earth - An Update From Jon Schaffer 9 05.04.2009 by LeChron James