Metal Storm logo
Strapping Young Lad

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 17.05.2006 - 04:10
I needed to be the one responsable for creating a thread on this great thrash band. I used to not like this band until I saw Devin Townsend live a couple of months ago now I can't get enough of them because he is such a genius and creates some of the best music I've ever heard. My favorite album is SYL it kicks some serious ass. Gene Hoglans drumming on all of their albums is amazing. What do you guys think about them.
05.07.2006 - 18:40
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
How has he given up? He's done what he set out to do. Respect the man. He has made all kinds of wicked music throughout the years. Definitely enough to keep me busy for a long time. I am very excited because on Ticket Master is says SYL are coming near here on July 12th, I sure hope it's true, because I'd love to see them. I just hope Devin enjoys it too, because if he doesn't, none of us will.
----
The force will be with you, always.
06.07.2006 - 11:43
Baz Anderson

yeh, well i read that and its quite upsetting how he doesnt care any more
talking about 'going out and pretending to care about heavy metal'

i have heard two tracks from the new album and i like them a lot, i think this will be better then 'Alien' but i cant tell yet
i dont want this to be the last album, but he can do waht he wants. i am just not so sure it will be the last - i think some time in the future he will feel like making another Strapping Young Lad album because that is how his life is balanced now along with his solo band
he says he is getting old and is getting less angry, well if that is true then there will not be any more SYL albums, but im sure something will come up that will push him another step - and so will make another SYL album to get it all offhis chest because that is what he has done before
06.07.2006 - 12:31
King Antichrist
Account deleted
I found SYL insanely boring. I listened to Alien a while back, it's just so mediocre. And with song titles like 'Shitstorm' and 'You Suck' the band is destined to unimpress.

Then there's the bloody lyrics...

"NOW
You'll fucking listen to me...Everybody in my
MOTHERFUCKING LIFE;
All I've been looking for is an excuse to
feel this way...
...and now I know...
HA!
I KNOW!!!
I'm in control of the infinite mind,
And I control infinite Power
When?!?!?!?
EVERY BLACK MINUTE"

Unintelligent?
Unintelligent.

The guy is an arogant wanker, I hate him and his music.
06.07.2006 - 22:25
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
That's too bad King Antichrist. All I have to say is:

"FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKING FUCK!"

Brilliant lyrics off of their new album.
----
07.07.2006 - 01:31
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
haha yeah..."FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKING FUCK!" and "FUCK YOUR GIRLFRIEND, SHE FUCKING SUCKS. HELL YEAH SHE FUCKING SUCKS!"

The lyrics suck, but the music is good. I hated this band for the longest time because of the lyrics on the first album I heard, the self-titled one. Then I heard Alien and was impressed.

I was kinda disappointed with The New Black. It's not nearly as heavy as their old stuff.
07.07.2006 - 11:49
Baz Anderson

also it seems 'King Antichrist' has only listened to 'Alien' - and that is my lest favorite Strapping album - so maybe he would have liked them if he gave them a proper chance
oh well, its his loss

also, lyrics dont have to be intelligent. he writest his stuff to get all of his anger and such out of him, as he is a 'manic depressive'
Devin is not arrogant at all - but just very down to earth
07.07.2006 - 14:36
Doh

I don´t usually pay very much attention to lyrics , music sounts more.
About Strapping Young Lad , i don´t like their first album , Heavy..... , but all others are great.
07.07.2006 - 22:38
ETH
Account deleted
I can not wait the new album release, must be excellent:kopkop:
08.07.2006 - 01:23
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
It's actually not that good. I downloaded it and when I heard it I was disappointed. It's not as heavy as their other releases.
08.07.2006 - 02:01
Baz Anderson

the same this happened for me and 'Alien' - i waited and baught it though, but i have still never really clicked with it properly
i am not a big fan of that album at all
i only heard 'Shitstorm' before i heard the whole album and i loved that track. i have heard about five new tracks now on myspace and such sites and i think it sounds really kinda different - but good

from what i have heard maybe it will not really be a typical Strapping Young Lad album, but it still could be very good stuff. i just cant wait for it to be released
08.07.2006 - 02:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Listen to it again. I think it's their best album.
08.07.2006 - 10:45
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I'm pretty sure the lyrics aren't meant to be taken too seriously... I think it's Devin's commentary on the state of music that focuses so much upon lyrics and poetry that it loses sight of what is actually important: THE MUSIC. I think it's good for artists to have a sense of humor and i always get a kick out of some of the gimmicks that SYL throw in their music, especially in "You Suck." If you listen to "Far Beyond Metal" from the live album and hear "The New Black" album version, you can see how the lyrics are sort of metamorphic and change with Devin's mood.
08.07.2006 - 11:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 06.07.2006 at 12:31

I found SYL insanely boring. I listened to Alien a while back, it's just so mediocre. And with song titles like 'Shitstorm' and 'You Suck' the band is destined to unimpress.

Then there's the bloody lyrics...

"NOW
You'll fucking listen to me...Everybody in my
MOTHERFUCKING LIFE;
All I've been looking for is an excuse to
feel this way...
...and now I know...
HA!
I KNOW!!!
I'm in control of the infinite mind,
And I control infinite Power
When?!?!?!?
EVERY BLACK MINUTE"

Unintelligent?
Unintelligent.

The guy is an arogant wanker, I hate him and his music.

I find it BEYOND amusing that someone who lists Dork Fucking Funeral on his favorites list (let alone in the second position) has the audacity to insult the lyrics of another artist.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.07.2006 - 12:17
King Antichrist
Account deleted
"This is the story of the Antichrist's son, born from the union of two.
Not from a virgin alone as for god, the son of perdition he will be born in sin.
Like the great serpent in the wayside he sits,
Waiting to wound those who justice's path walks.
They will be killed in an agonizing death,
Struck with the poison of his wickedness.
God he raises the lowly, our king he casts them out.
Instead of condemn all the sinners, they will be magnified.
Sin stand for beauty, sin stands for life.
Sexual sin is every man's right.
He will exalt the wicked of man,
Our king the Antichrist."

I think that has a little more substance to the SYL lyrics.
08.07.2006 - 12:26
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
"Satan
Into the flames I fall
Eternally I burn
In the hellish deeps
Satan
Hell awaits my soul
Eternally I burn
Into the fire eternal

"Satan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Satan satan satan hell fire unleash the demons unlock the gates raping angels satan satan satan hell fire flames blah blah blah blah.

See, I can pick and choose as well...

Dork Funeral are bottom of the barrel preying on the simplemindedness of "satanic" black metal fans.

Nothing new to offer, no views worthwhile. Nothing to rock the boat. Nothing creative.

The same old tired shit.

Dark Funeral are the fucking Backstreet Boys of Black metal.

Formulaic.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.07.2006 - 13:30
King Antichrist
Account deleted
Well I guess a lack of understanding coupled with your shit taste in music would breed a pathetic ignorance.
09.07.2006 - 00:39
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
You guys are amusing. I really don't think Devin gives a shit whether or not you enjoy his lyrics. It's about the music. If you do however doubt his writing ability, just turn your eyes to his solo work. Other than that, lets get back on the topic of this band, not Dark Funeral, please.
----
09.07.2006 - 00:50
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Devin is far from being a master lyricist but at least his lyrics are quite personal and fairly unique ("Hey, DEVO!!!" etc).
There are a few lyrically embarrasing moments on SYL albums but then again the band is intended to be over the top and outrageous so the sometimes silly lyrics are ok.
What bothers me much more is that Devin's insanely prolific career really seems to be wearing him out. The new album is pretty good but I can definitely hear that the band sounds somewhat tired. I think its a good thing he decided to go on hiatus after this release...

PS: Just to annoy the little black metal fanboys - very few black metal bands have good lyrics. As a matter of fact, the entire metal genre is pretty abysmal when it comes to lyrics. I really dont think lyrical content should be an important factor for metalheads. There are other genres with far superior lyrics to anything most metal bands have spawned....
09.07.2006 - 06:20
Endoftherainbow

Written by Clintagräm on 09.07.2006 at 00:39

You guys are amusing. I really don't think Devin gives a shit whether or not you enjoy his lyrics. It's about the music.

I don't think Devin gives a shit what anybody thinks about anything that he does, that's what's so great about him. He's completely insane and over the top. His lyrics prove how much he doesn't care about what people think with songs like You Suck. You are right for him it's definently all about the music and that's how it should be.
09.07.2006 - 06:24
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think it's cool that he does that cuz it adds to the personality of the music.
09.07.2006 - 07:21
MaritoM@nson
Account deleted
nice music... but the lyrics are not the best... i got Alien and "LOVE" is a great song really great
I'm waiting for the new album!!
15.07.2006 - 00:24
DLMokoma
Account deleted
I love this band, gotta buy The New Black.
15.07.2006 - 01:55
Endoftherainbow

@pyro Although the new album may not be as heavy as his previous releases I believe it is still a great album for him to go out on because it really showcases his talent in songwritting because IMO it really infuses the melodic and progressive elements of the Devin Townsend Band with the extreme elements of Strapping Young Lad. I completely agree that it's not as heavy as their other albusm but for me that's what I like about it how it has both sides of the devin townsend spectrum on it one moment it can have all this melody then it turns into total chaos that's why for me "The New Black" is my favorite SYL record.
15.07.2006 - 09:22
Sellathurai

The New Black doesn't feel like a kick in a teeth like Alien, SYL, or City but it's still damn good because it has the components of the last albums and like said by Endoftherainbow stuff from the Devin Townsend Band
creating a fusion [The New Black lol] and the results are killer. And I dunno know about the complainers of the new album, but do you want just the same stuff from Strapping Young Lad or different?
This isn't best example but think of Slayer's South of Heaven and what it came after. Sticking to the same stuff/formula gets boring.

The New Black owns:banger:
----
On The Wings of Euphoria...
15.07.2006 - 21:31
Cut-Throat

"you suck" is the best song on the new black! that is one tune you can surely headbang to! amazing! City is my favourite album with Alien being 2nd!
23.07.2006 - 06:36
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I bought Strapping Young Lad's self titled release today and I am listening through it for the third time today. It is really fantastic. I love the riffing, it's really wicked. The music is very aggressive, has a strong atmosphere, and doesn't ever let up, which I like. I was wondering something about the SYL, does anyone know the meaning of the symbol they use on their CDs? I mean the Oriental (Chinese?; Japanese?) one say like on the bottom right of 'City', inside of 'SYL', and middle of 'Alien.' Anyone know? Just wondering.
----
23.07.2006 - 08:47
Robstar

Their new album '' The New Black'' deserves a hell Yeah!
Man great shit !
I got their Dvd '' Live at the commedor '' and it blast !
Great BAnd! Crazy Motherfuckers!
STY ... Great Industrial Death Metal Shit !
----
Nothing is unreacheable
23.07.2006 - 10:02
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
"The New Black" is their best effort imo, the addition of more melodic guitar made the music so much more interesting than before... I especially like the opening track "Decimator".
23.07.2006 - 19:18
Baz Anderson

oh come on - have you heard 'City' and 'SYL'?
'The New Black' just doesnt do it for me like 'Alien' didnt either
they both have their moments, but they are nothing on 'City' and 'SYL' at all
24.07.2006 - 09:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Baz Anderson on 23.07.2006 at 19:18

oh come on - have you heard 'City' and 'SYL'?
'The New Black' just doesnt do it for me like 'Alien' didnt either
they both have their moments, but they are nothing on 'City' and 'SYL' at all

I totally second this post.
City and SYL are by far superior iMO. I still like The New Black though but IMO it is more towards Devin Townsend's solo project sound.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996