Metal Storm logo
Strapping Young Lad

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 17.05.2006 - 04:10
I needed to be the one responsable for creating a thread on this great thrash band. I used to not like this band until I saw Devin Townsend live a couple of months ago now I can't get enough of them because he is such a genius and creates some of the best music I've ever heard. My favorite album is SYL it kicks some serious ass. Gene Hoglans drumming on all of their albums is amazing. What do you guys think about them.
24.07.2006 - 11:08
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 23.07.2006 at 19:18

oh come on - have you heard 'City' and 'SYL'?
'The New Black' just doesnt do it for me like 'Alien' didnt either
they both have their moments, but they are nothing on 'City' and 'SYL' at all

Yes, I have heard ALL of SYL's albums Bas, and I also liked SYL's other efforts, but not to the same degree as "The New Black"...
And another thing, do you (all) think that Devin would have expected that this album would have divided the fans (in terms of opinions) to such an extent?, because it sure appears to be that way...
24.07.2006 - 13:12
Baz Anderson

Devin doesnt care if it splits the fans in any way at all
i read a long interview with him in a magazine a few days ago, and he is totally washed out
he says Strapping Young Lad was never meant to be the sort of band that played at download and ozzfest..

he said himself that he knows 'City' is the best work that he has done and he is most proud of that because he did it when he was 23 or 25 years old
even Devin knows these last two havent been as good
he says he is putting down his guitar now and leaving Strapping Young Lad for a bit. there might never be any more Strapping albums
24.07.2006 - 16:07
Endoftherainbow

That's what I like about him he knows what he's doing and he doesn't want to ruin something great so he knows when to take a break and only release something if he feels it's going to be just as good as previous release he doesn't want to just release mediocre garbage he wants to release albums that actually have some meaning to him.
27.07.2006 - 23:58
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well, I have been listening to nothing but Strapping Young Lad and Devin Townsend for the past few weeks and I greatly enjoy it all. I am currently finishing up listening to 'City' again and wow, it gets better every time. It's amazing how much the band progressed from 'Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing' to 'City.' I love how there is so much depth in 'City' that you can listen to it over and over and find something new every time. Buried beneath the grinding and industrial flesh is a lot of melody. They really simplified it on 'SYL' as it is much easier to digest than their first two albums, but boy does it kick ass. Riffs galore. I love it. I am definitely going to have to pick up 'Alien' as soon as I can. I am going to pop in 'The New Black' right now. Great music.

"Strapping Young Lad rocks my hairy anus."
----
The force will be with you, always.
28.07.2006 - 07:16
Endoftherainbow

@C-Dub those buried melodies are one of things I love about Strapping Young Lad because there so much going on at once and through all the chaos and insanity that it takes awhile to figure out everything that's going on. I think this is one of the reasons people may find it hard to listen to this band at first because it can be hard to take it all in unless you pay attention to detail. Another thing that goes on alot in their songs is voices of children yelling things and I neevr noticed this until I listened to them through headphones. There is also Kazoo solos sometimes to from what I've noticed. There's so much packed into their songs.
28.07.2006 - 09:10
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Indeed. I love to really explore the album using headphones and listening strictly to the music. However, there are times, like right now, when I must blast it. It goes both ways really. I was wondering, could you (or anyone) describe 'Alien' for me? I have heard a few songs from it, 'Love?' and 'Shitstorm' mostly. I was wondering if anyone could put into words the atmosphere a bit. I always got the idea it was the industrial feel of 'City' mixed with the clear production and thick guitar work of 'SYL.' However, that's just me. Anyone care to take a shot? I'll go read some reviews on it.
----
28.07.2006 - 09:47
Endoftherainbow

I really don't know how to explain Alien to you. What I can say about it though is a great album and just as good as any of the other SYL albums. This album more then the others though has alot more of those hidden melodies. If you like Strapping Young Lad I'd guess you will probably not be disapointed by this album. One thing thats kind of different about it although there is still alot of hidden things buried in the background there's also alot more going on in the forfront of the music that you don't get as much in the earlier albums.
Re-Edit: Yeah there's not really as much going on in the background as the other albums in genral but in some songs there's way more going on them most other songs. Alot of the stuff going on in this album is at the forfront like I said before.
29.07.2006 - 01:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Alien is by far their fastest and heaviest release yet and overall it is my second favorite behind City. It's actually the album that got me into SYL.
02.10.2006 - 12:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
this is good Cnadian band thy play dunno how define it, but its like awangard thrash metal, thay are from thise bands who play intelectual muisc but its hard to listen more then on time in day, I like btter ''City'' labum, its i think great, and also I had seen one video from this years albumm
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.10.2006 - 14:48
DyNo!!
Account deleted
the best thing about them are devin's hair...
however he's for me one of the best extreme musician in the scene
02.10.2006 - 15:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 02.10.2006 at 14:48

the best thing about them are devin's hair...
however he's for me one of the best extreme musician in the scene

haha I agree whit you man, thay hair are awsome but thay can be lil longer
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.10.2006 - 03:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I finally found/picked up City last week. It met and exceeded my expectations. I wish the vocals were a tad bit louder... not horribly and blatantly out front, but just a little louder in the mix so you can hear Devy's rants.

Room 429 is almost haunting in a way, especially given how late it comes in the album and velocity of the tracks that precede it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.10.2006 - 03:40
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Yes, I really enjoy that cover. It's a nice rest from the rest of the album but somehow manages to stay in the same atmosphere. Not to mention it's just a wicked cover. I own all five SYL releases and I still can't decide which one is my favorite. They each have their own identity. However I would say that 'City' is quite possibly out in front.
----
13.10.2006 - 13:52
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Yeah, fucking amazing band, I love everything Devin Townsend related
27.10.2006 - 20:10
Basso
Account deleted
I did just hear 3 songs. SYL , OH MY FUCKING GOD and Bring on the young. I got totally blewn away. This music is amazing!!! Im definitly buying all SYL albums asap.
By reading this thread I almost laughed myself to decay when reading the "oh so great lyrics from Dark Funeral"
I find the lyrics from Townsend hillarious and could care less if they where stupid. It is way better than to have the most monotone and standard "wannabe poetic at the same time evil" lyrics that many BM bands have today.

Godhate if you really wanted to impress someone with smart BM lyrics you could alteast have pasted Deathspell Omega lyrics ...
28.10.2006 - 10:08
Baz Anderson

i rememeber the first time i heard then - i was blown away as well!! its amazing stuff when you've not heard them before
them songs you listened to are from 'SYL' and 'City' though - 'Alien' and 'The New Black' sound quite different to them i think and unfortunatly i am not a big fan of them two albums. they just arent as relentless as 'SYL' and 'City'
28.10.2006 - 11:37
Basso
Account deleted
I suppose the albums I should get is SYL and City then!
29.10.2006 - 02:20
Unholy_Emperor

Yeah I bought some time ago City and it was really amazing the first time I listened to it, it was quite difference from everything else I have heard before.

I think I should go now to buy SYL xD.
30.10.2006 - 19:24
Baz Anderson

yes!! in my opinion, and i think in the opinion on most other people - 'City' and 'SYL' are their best albums bu far!
the others are still good to listen to, but nothing compared to these two monsters of albums
31.10.2006 - 08:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Baz Anderson on 30.10.2006 at 19:24

yes!! in my opinion, and i think in the opinion on most other people - 'City' and 'SYL' are their best albums bu far!
the others are still good to listen to, but nothing compared to these two monsters of albums

I totally agree with you but I am afraid we are a minority because loads of people somehow (don't ask me how it is possible) prefer Alien over SYL.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.11.2006 - 06:05
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.10.2006 at 08:26

I totally agree with you but I am afraid we are a minority because loads of people somehow (don't ask me how it is possible) prefer Alien over SYL.

I think some people might prefer 'Alien' because it contains a lot more "hidden" material. As 'SYL' was more or less strait forward Death Metal (at least for SYL) Alien fused the heavyness and speed of that album with the chaos of 'City.'
----
01.11.2006 - 08:39
A-Los-Ninos
Account deleted
I really enjoy SYL, and yes i prefered "SYL" and "City". though i do like alien
01.11.2006 - 10:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Clintagräm on 01.11.2006 at 06:05

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.10.2006 at 08:26

I think some people might prefer 'Alien' because it contains a lot more "hidden" material. As 'SYL' was more or less strait forward Death Metal (at least for SYL) Alien fused the heavyness and speed of that album with the chaos of 'City.'

I don't find any hidden material in Alien at all, and the variation isn't as strong as on SYL.
Btw, how the *bleep* do you manage to call SYL death metal when there is nothing death metal about it? It is pure and unadultered extreme thrash.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.11.2006 - 11:16
Baz Anderson

haha - i am with Ozman
i just find this unfathomable.. i cannot understand at all how people can find 'Alien' better then 'SYL'
i dont hear anything 'hidden' or special on 'Alien' at all - it is just a weaker album in almost every way.
it certainly has not got anywhere near the heaviness 'SYL' had in it
02.11.2006 - 00:49
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well it's just how you percieve things I suppose. By the way, I didn't even really notice my Death Metal comment. It's just what I classify SYL as.
----
06.11.2006 - 12:19
FOOCK Nam

I got some mp3s of Strapping Young Lad, well, what can I say? It's really extreme, strong but hard to get into. But I find some lyric of them are good. I will check out the City as you guys commented about them, and I cant deny that their band name is very very nice
02.12.2006 - 19:27
Basso
Account deleted
I just heard the live album "No Sleep 'till Bedtime" and the more I hear from SYL the more blown away I get. Im so fucking totally looking forward to christmas. with the money I will make sure I get enough SYL albums!

Townsend is a genious!
05.12.2006 - 04:39
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Strapping young lad, SYL, Fucking amazing are the names I give this band. Devon Towsend's ideas are fucking great. I bought the new Black not too long ago and I very very satisfied. The only sad thing about SYL is now they're shirts are being sold at Hot Topic.
05.12.2006 - 05:01
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 05.12.2006 at 04:39

Strapping young lad, SYL, Fucking amazing are the names I give this band. Devon Towsend's ideas are fucking great. I bought the new Black not too long ago and I very very satisfied. The only sad thing about SYL is now they're shirts are being sold at Hot Topic.

If anything, I don't mind if they are really sold there. It just makes it easier on me to go there and buy it. I don't mind being "caught" there. Anyway, I doubt many people will all of a sudden just enjoy SYL because their shirts are there. The music of SYL is not for the faint of heart.
----
07.12.2006 - 01:51
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 05.12.2006 at 05:01

Written by Guest on 05.12.2006 at 04:39

If anything, I don't mind if they are really sold there. It just makes it easier on me to go there and buy it. I don't mind being "caught" there. Anyway, I doubt many people will all of a sudden just enjoy SYL because their shirts are there. The music of SYL is not for the faint of heart.

Got that right