Metal Storm logo
Strapping Young Lad

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 17.05.2006 - 04:10
I needed to be the one responsable for creating a thread on this great thrash band. I used to not like this band until I saw Devin Townsend live a couple of months ago now I can't get enough of them because he is such a genius and creates some of the best music I've ever heard. My favorite album is SYL it kicks some serious ass. Gene Hoglans drumming on all of their albums is amazing. What do you guys think about them.
25.03.2008 - 00:49
Strid
Account deleted
I just got The New Black...dunno where I was, I'd seriously never heard of SYL before....definitely gonna try to get more now
06.08.2008 - 02:03
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
strapping young lad have been broken up for a whole fvcking year and I'm just finding this out now!!
they're disbanded!!
that blows the big one
15.08.2008 - 22:34
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i love syl so much atm...every album is exceptional, heavy as a really heavy thing is superb obviously city and alien are masterpieces and SYL and the new black are just as good. i swear almost again makes me cry sometimes...
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
22.08.2008 - 20:42
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Guest on 06.08.2008 at 02:03

strapping young lad have been broken up for a whole fvcking year and I'm just finding this out now!!
they're disbanded!!
that blows the big one

Well, that doesn't mean that all albums will suddenly disappear from homes, charts and stores.
Strapping Young Lad are/were great band. They have powerful songs and very interesting lyrics, I must admit.
23.08.2008 - 06:17
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Ragana on 22.08.2008 at 20:42

Written by Guest on 06.08.2008 at 02:03

they're disbanded!!
that blows the big one

Well, that doesn't mean that all albums will suddenly disappear from homes, charts and stores.
Strapping Young Lad are/were great band. They have powerful songs and very interesting lyrics, I must admit.

oh yeah, of course.....i mean i won't just ignore their material....when a loved one dies, he/she is not forgotten right away

......their lyrics were so demented lolol
25.08.2008 - 03:03
WolvenAncestry
Account deleted
SYL will live on forever.
25.04.2009 - 02:13
GULCH OF ROT
They will make another album they just need time if you like syl check out zimmers hole all the same members except devin
----
AND ON THE 7TH DAY THE GULCH BEGAN TO ROT

http://www.myspace.com/gulchofrot
25.04.2009 - 06:49
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by GULCH OF ROT on 25.04.2009 at 02:13

They will make another album they just need time if you like syl check out zimmers hole all the same members except devin

their lyrics seems so absurd

"when you were shouting at the devil, we were in league with satan" haha
26.04.2009 - 14:39
Ascendant187
Written by Guest on 25.04.2009 at 06:49

There's a story behind that song apparently. It stems from having toured with some of the older bands when the guys were younger. One night, when they were all drunk, whoever it was said that very quote (or close enough to it, I guess) and it obviously stuck lol.
27.04.2009 - 20:30
GULCH OF ROT

the lyrics are funny but the music is great check out the song "whats my name....evil":banger2:
----
AND ON THE 7TH DAY THE GULCH BEGAN TO ROT

http://www.myspace.com/gulchofrot
16.08.2009 - 14:29
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Just listened to "The New Black", my first encounter with this band and I have to say great musicianship and songwriting. gonna check out the previous albums soon
----
loves 小巫
16.08.2009 - 15:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Not really absurd considering it is about listening to good metal and not to glam pop shit
so it translates to "when you were listening to Mötley Crüe (Shout At The Devil album) we were listening to Venom (In League With Satan album)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.08.2009 - 15:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ascendant187 on 26.04.2009 at 14:39

There's a story behind that song apparently. It stems from having toured with some of the older bands when the guys were younger. One night, when they were all drunk, whoever it was said that very quote (or close enough to it, I guess) and it obviously stuck lol.

And read for the translation of the quote my previous post
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.08.2009 - 13:49
Ascendant187
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.08.2009 at 15:50

Written by Ascendant187 on 26.04.2009 at 14:39

And read for the translation of the quote my previous post

I know. I've got the album laying around somewhere lol.
16.07.2011 - 08:17
TechanisM
Account deleted
I finally checked these guys out a few days ago, and to my suprise they were everything they were hyped up to be and more. Crazy death/thrash riffs, overpowering keyboards, great production, and great vocals. Alien is currently my favorite by them. I avoided this band for a while, as I didn't like Devin's solo material, but this is extremley different, in a good way.
28.09.2012 - 00:56
I miss this band so much Oh mr. Devin pleaaaase reunite S.Y.L. some day! The most fucked up thing related to me and S.Y.L. is that I have even got the chance to see them live. Must have been 2006. And yes sir, I was too wasted to recall about nothingzeropåäng about the whole show
28.09.2012 - 05:27
Anyone know if Devin will even play any SYL songs live anymore? Like DTP playing SYL? I would love to hear any city tracks live
28.09.2012 - 14:11
He somehow seems to push the subject away... He did the Ziltoid show but I think he hasn't played any SYL songs with DTP ever... At least since the departure. Correct me wrong if somebody knows better. He says that doing drugs and SYL were kinda related thing to him and it seems he keeps SYL away for keeping drugs away. I still totally would like to hear a full SYL concert with Gene, Jed and Byron of course. There was this DJ guy too, he is welcome also
28.09.2012 - 15:58
IronAngel
SYL was for him the rage of a young, fucked up man who wanted to give everyone the finger. Since he's not that man anymore, he thinks it would be dishonest to play watered-down versions of those old songs. That's what he said in a recent interview, anyhow. Who knows, but I wouldn't count on it. Which is a shame, because City and SYL are about the only two albums he's made that are REALLY good. I don't mind some of his later stuff, but he was a bit of a one trick pony and lost some of his magic when he expanded his pallette.
28.09.2012 - 16:06
Glaucus
IronAngel has it pretty spot on, and I agree that Devin and DTP will not be playing anything SYL related, and I heavily doubt there would ever be a reunion of any sort in the future. It's too bad, to say for sure.
----
"Pretty easy work, for a God." - Freya ~ Valkyrie Profile