‹‹ Back to the General metal forum Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15]
Users visited: 387  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by Taktsekte on 08.06.2006 at 00:01
I would like to open a topic where I am able to thank Metalstorm for being so useful to improve my metal knowledge and culture. There are some bands whose existance I were either not aware of or which I had never listened, yet after reading some positive comments about them I was curious and discovered some really good bands that I'm still into (and, naturally, some bands that I did not like at all).

These great bands are Dream Theater and Dark Tranquillity for me. I saw a lot of Dream Theater fans here on Metalstorm who described them as "great professional instrumentalists" and "music for musicians". I'm a pianist and composer myself, as well as a Melodic Metal fan, so I bought "Metropolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory" and got the "Live at Budokan" DVD as a birthday present and - hell, these guys know what they are doing. I'm still addicted to Dream Theater (especially the following albums: "Images and Words", "Metropolis Pt II: Scenes From A Memory" and "Train of Thought") and I'm looking forward to watching them live.

About Dark Tranquillity, they are the last band that I've added to my favourites. Them and Opeth (all right, In Flames too, but I knew them way before I joined Metalstorm) were the ones that opened my mind to the beautiful Melodic Death Metal genre. My favourite album by them is "Damage Done", and my favourite song is "Monochromatic Stains".

So, share your positive experiences with us about discovering new bands on Metalstorm! (This is topic #1000 by the way )

Edit: Please explain your thoughts, don't just write a list. Nobody reads long lists.

Page 15 of 15

Fredd
Momo

23.08.2011 at 10:02
Virtually everything I know about metal
----
Written by Ilham on 17.06.2014 at 00:01

You're a very mild internet version of the Joker .
whatsacow

31.10.2011 at 00:10
Look at my fav list. Out of that list only about 5 or 6 bands on there I didn't find out through this site.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
king_matt

31.10.2011 at 00:16
Written by whatsacow on 31.10.2011 at 00:10

Look at my fav list. Out of that list only about 5 or 6 bands on there I didn't find out through this site.

Same as this guy.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
BoxCar Willy
John Doe

15.04.2012 at 20:22
Everything.

I bought an MP3 player off a friend which had some Slipknot and Shadows Fall tracks. I came here and discovered everything.

Thanks Metalstorm.
----
waste of space
Infernal Eternal

22.05.2012 at 15:56
Well, Amorphis. I knew the band before but after reading some reviews here I decided to buy Silent Waters and I haven't regreted.
----
www.carnagedeathmetal.de - Awesome Fanzine
Aristarchos

11.09.2013 at 12:27
Furia, great black metal band.
no one

11.09.2013 at 21:28
Vukari
awsome band recommended in the looking forward to in 2013 thread
Warman
Erotic Stains

11.09.2013 at 22:37
My last post here was from 2008. But my answer to the question is probably: most of the great bands I listen to.
I started listening to metal 2001, I was 11. From 2001 to 2005 it really was only Iron Maiden, Metallica and Children of Bodom that I listened to. Sure there was some bands here and there that I liked (my teacher introduced me to Morbid Angel in the sixth grade). But I never really gave these bands a real chance. Me and my friends actually thought that Maiden, Metallica and CoB was like the real shit of metal, that's what the genre had to offer. 2005 I became a member here, been visiting the site almost every day since and the rest is history. It started out with Norther ("similar to Children Of Bodom") and I was just shocked to see how much Metal really had to offer.
Sure, sometimes you discover bands when they open up for others, browsing through youtube, Spotify suggesting it or a CD just looks totally bad ass and you just have to buy it (that's how I discovered Lifelover). But Metal Storm is where my search started and where it probably will continue.
----

"The Bro Code" article 72: A bro never spell-checks.
Aseliot

12.09.2013 at 12:47
Black Hole Generator is the only one, the rest i mostly browse youtube and look at Encyclopedia Metallum (i'm sure you know they have A LOT more bands than this site, but sure alot of it is crap)
----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
Guib

22.09.2013 at 06:20
Well there's a lot of bands I found on my own before coming to MS mostly the mainstream ones like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth (...) but since I'm here, I've been discovering a lot of younger bands and styles I've never heard of. MS has been a real metal paradise for me. I can't even tell how many bands I've discovered because of this website. What I like the most about MS, is the community... that's how I discover all the nice and unknown stuff mostly.
----
- I love my technical, melodic, my thrash, agressive and fast paced, my sludge, well thought, my heavy, heavier and my metal, ever-growing -
Góral
Combo Breaker

14.12.2013 at 22:03
My last gifts from Metal Storm: Eye Of Solitude - Canto III and Domovoyd - Oh Sensibility. Two excellent releases that are in my possession thanks to staff picks only.
Pennywise

14.12.2013 at 23:03
90% of the bands I know
Fallen Ghost

16.12.2013 at 15:55
Most of the bands I've discovered have been outside of Metalstorm; however I've found the staff pick section on Metalstom very useful. Through there I heard about Xanthochroid and Eye Of Solitude. I'm very grateful that there's a site like this, so thanks to all who are running this amazing site, I'm visiting it on a daily basis, trying to find some new stuffs!
----
"Even we don't know anything about theory and stuff....but this is a combination of lydian mode and phrygian dominant...and ends with a diminished run starting on F"

- Fredrik Åkesson, guitarplayer of Opeth
obZen.

21.12.2013 at 13:57
My brother and i are 2 leechs...!
i am 18 and he is 30 and we usually talk about Rock and Metal
so far we discovered so many bands and i decided to make my Gods...

2 of my Gods that are really awesome and i just die for them: Meshuggah and Unexpect

i extremly recomend them
----
the only thing i know is i'm in love with Metal...
limits are not important
Darth Revan

26.12.2013 at 05:49
I was but a young lad of 14 who liked a few dragonforce songs when I discovered MS in '09, didn't join at the time because I felt too ignorant to contribute much. Probably still am, but at least less so than I was back then. At the very least I've learned to articulate with some more finesse.

I lurked frequented the site back then, and discovered almost everything I know about metal. Helloween, Judas Priest, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarious, Freedom Call, Exodus, Municipal Waste... the list goes on. And of course there's been plenty bands I tried but didn't like. Opeth and Nile come to mind for one. So yeah, thank you metal storm, without your help, I would lack about 80% of my music library today.
Mad Arab666

28.12.2013 at 20:01
Quite a few bands discovered on this site. From the top of my head Project hate, Gris, shade empire, benighted and Jess and the ancient ones. There's more but it would be a long list.
----
One does not simply rock into Blashyrkh
Nick K.

16.02.2014 at 15:49
Not that much yet. Ive known the most bands before i registered. But from now on i plan to discover new bands with MS. Especially in Doom and Black metal.
deadone
Mainstream Poser

16.02.2014 at 23:59
So far nothing really....
iryzw

27.02.2014 at 19:12
My great discovered here was Dimmu Borgir
deadone
Mainstream Poser

24.03.2014 at 06:03
I am up to 2:

Hell

Lascaille's Shroud
Dentura
Shadow King

28.03.2014 at 09:55
The only really good one that I found solely from Metal Storm (without outside references) is "In The Silence" from two years ago, having checked out the top 20 list of that year. I really liked their debut, hopefully they make a really good sequel soon.
----
...And so death to the falsity of thy former rulers. Thy kingdom of "heaven" burns in a field of fire, and Dentura is the one true God thou must yield thy hearts and souls to in absolute submission. It is his ultimate decree and will unto thee..
samarium

18.08.2014 at 22:35
This website was the only reason I heard of Enslaved, so thanks for that they are one of my favourite bands.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15]

Login or register to post here.