Metal Storm logo
Great Bands You Discovered Thanks To Metal Storm

08.06.2006 - 00:01
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
I would like to open a topic where I am able to thank Metalstorm for being so useful to improve my metal knowledge and culture. There are some bands whose existance I were either not aware of or which I had never listened, yet after reading some positive comments about them I was curious and discovered some really good bands that I'm still into (and, naturally, some bands that I did not like at all).

These great bands are Dream Theater and Dark Tranquillity for me. I saw a lot of Dream Theater fans here on Metalstorm who described them as "great professional instrumentalists" and "music for musicians". I'm a pianist and composer myself, as well as a Melodic Metal fan, so I bought "Metropolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory" and got the "Live at Budokan" DVD as a birthday present and - hell, these guys know what they are doing. I'm still addicted to Dream Theater (especially the following albums: "Images and Words", "Metropolis Pt II: Scenes From A Memory" and "Train of Thought") and I'm looking forward to watching them live.

About Dark Tranquillity, they are the last band that I've added to my favourites. Them and Opeth (all right, In Flames too, but I knew them way before I joined Metalstorm) were the ones that opened my mind to the beautiful Melodic Death Metal genre. My favourite album by them is "Damage Done", and my favourite song is "Monochromatic Stains".

So, share your positive experiences with us about discovering new bands on Metalstorm! (This is topic #1000 by the way )

Edit: Please explain your thoughts, don't just write a list. Nobody reads long lists.
08.06.2006 - 00:13
Stigmatized
Lets see, bands I've came to love through Metal Storm-

Behemoth- got into these guys talking with people like Nervel. Cheers....

Necrophagist- Trifixion originally showed me a video of "Foul Body Autopsy" being played live...which easily peaked my interest. Then after reading about them on Metal Storm I was led to get an album...incredible

Insomnium- I saw a couple of things on this band and how they were a great Melodic DM similar to that of Old In Flames, so thanks again Metal Storm.

Katatonia- basically I read the reviews and heard the praise for Dance of December Souls, got it...and here I am.
08.06.2006 - 00:31
Warman
Erotic Stains
Megadeth:
I had heard a lot of this band but never started listening to it. Then one day "Rust in Peace" was number 1 at the "Best albums of all time" section, I read the review and thougth that I must buy one their albums!

Nightwish:
I used to hate this band and when I became a member here I noticed how many Nightwish fans there were. So I listened to them a lot, I have always thought that they rock musically but I hated Tarja Turunens voice. Then I heard "Dead to the World" and the intro was unbeliveable! Suddenly one day Tarjas voice was the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard.
----
08.06.2006 - 01:12
Hylia
Catamenia:
I found out about them one day after reading an interview or something on them,or perhaps updated bands.I cant remeber all I do remeber is seeing them on here a while back.

Crytopsy:

I never really listen to them before I started going on the site.I read a thread about them and read that they were Canadian,then I downloaded some stuff by them.
08.06.2006 - 01:57
kakalokola
Wintersun !! probably the best new band ever !!!! fucking awsome music
]thanks MS
08.06.2006 - 02:01
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Opera IX:
I thank Linak for this band,without her overwhelmingly great arguments about this band I never would've heard of it

Tristania:
Zeraphine got her fingers on this one
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
08.06.2006 - 02:33
Endoftherainbow
Ensiferum:
I found this band on metalstorm because of the very helpful connection section on band pages from the old metalstorm because I already was really into Wintersun.

Bloodbath:
The same thing as above but because I'm a huge fan of Dan Swano, Mikael Akerfeldt, and Peter Targaten and all of their projects.

Thanks metalstorm
08.06.2006 - 02:45
danzig111
Account deleted
Oh yes, i usually take this for granted but i've discovered a number ov Metal bands from this site. Many thanks.

I've discovered:

At The Gates
Borknagar
Burzum
Cruachan
DragonForce
Dream Evil
Falkenbach
Finntroll
Forefather
Freedom Call
Gamma Ray
Gåte (though they are not metal)
Glittertind (though it's arguable as to whether the music is metal or not)
Heidevolk
Heorot (i discovered them on the guest book on Glittertind's website, but MS made a contribution to that discovery as well)
Isengard
Korpiklaani
Leaves Eyes (though i consider them more Rock)
Lost Horizon
Luca Turilli
Midnattsol
Moonsorrow
Norther
Rhapsody
Running Wild
Sentenced (though i consider them more Rock)
Wongraven (though the music is actually Dark Ambient)
Xasthur

YEPPP!!!!!! :headbang:

Stand Proud MetalStorm!
08.06.2006 - 02:49
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Ensiferum: I heard of them but never listened to them becuase i listened to a folk metal song before and i didint like it, but then when i checked them out they were good, thanks to Metalstorm.

Finntroll: Same story about this band thought i wouldent like the Folk Metal

Callenish Circle: never ever did hear of them, until Metalstorm, and i checked them out also thanks to metalstorm
08.06.2006 - 03:14
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Necrophagist - On version 2 of this forum, someone had a Necrophagist banner for their signature and I decided to take a risk and buy a random album by them and it worked out.

Carcariass - I found out about these guys in the technical death metal thread. Thanks Ylside!

Therion - Reading the description, "symphonic metal", intrigued me, since I like symphonic music and never heard it mixed with metal before. It took me a long time to get into them because the symphonic parts aren't as huge as I had hoped, but once I knew what to expect they became one of my favorites.

Akercocke - I found out about this band through a thread made for them on the second version of the forum. They are now one of my favorite bands.
08.06.2006 - 11:18
Lupas
Maximus
i think a lot of them.

Luca Truilli
Rhapsody
Iced Earth
Primal Fear
Leaves Eye
Sirenia
Elvenking
Kamelot
ANgra
Nevermore
Within Temptation

All these tks to Metalstorm and also thier members who help me to continue build up this list
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
08.06.2006 - 11:33
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Oh, I forgot to ask you to give an explanation or impression on the bands you choose, and not just write long lists.

Please do so, as pyroleprechaun, Dream_Of_Hate, Crimson Death and others did, don't just publish endless lists nobody will ever read.
08.06.2006 - 14:48
Kurzag
Account deleted
There is a lot of great bands that I discovered through Metal Storm.
Here are some of them:

Behemoth:
Maybe my favourite extreme metal band. All the members are highliy talented on their instruments and it is always enjoyble to listen to them.

Agalloch:
A great american folkloric doom band with good and strong lyrics.

Primordial:
One of the best bands in the scene today. Cold and melancholic metal

Moonsorrow:
A band that have become one of my alltime favourite band with a great mix of heathen folk black metal.

Mouring Beloveth:
Heavy and melancholic Doom Death band from Ireland. Very underrated, but f***ing great.

Katatonia:
Also one of my alltime favourite band. Beautful music that creates a great atmosphere. Jonas Renkse is a great vocalist.
08.06.2006 - 14:49
ylside
Staff
I owe all my old school death metal love to some users here.
08.06.2006 - 14:51
SteTech
That's a tough one, I know I've discovered bands on here, but I can't remember which ones and how. As far as I can remember:

Ensiferum - I love Wintersun, and heard Jari was in a band called Ensiferum, so I checked them out and loved them. I'm off to see both bands at Earthshaker Festival in July. Gonna be awesome!

Moonsorrow - I think on the old MS it said Moonsorrow were similar to Ensiferum. I read the comments and there were a lot of positive comments. I made Kivenkataja my first purchase and was blown away by it. I now have all their albums.

Norther - I think I actually discovered these guys on here, along with Kalmah and Eternal Tears of Sorrow. I can't remember if I was looking for Extreme Power metal bands or melodeath bands, but Norther came up, checked them out, loved them!

Naglfar - I think I discovered these guys looking for meloblack metal bands. I used to like them a lot when I got into them, but I've grown off them now

Swallow The Sun - I remember hearing a track from these guys on MS radio, and really liked it. Got their album The Morning Never Came back in January and it's still one of my fave albums

Katatonia - I'd seen them mentioned quite a few times on here before I got into them. When I started looking into doom metal, I gave these guys a try. Not my fave band, but they have some good tracks, and their newest album's great, my fave out of the others

Sentenced - Typically I only heard of them when they split up. Everybody was saying how great they were, so I looked into them myself. I have three of their albums, and they're all pretty good

Opeth - A lot of metalstormers keep going on about how Opeth are the best band in the world. I decided to see what the fuss was all about, and unfortunetly failed to see. I have almost all the albums now, trying to figure out what it is that makes these guys so special. Sure they're unique, they're good musicians, write good songs, but I can't see them as being the best band ever. Maybe I'll never know, still a good band though

I've just remembered there are a few more, but these are the ones worth mentioning
08.06.2006 - 15:03
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by Taktsekte on 08.06.2006 at 11:33

Oh, I forgot to ask you to give an explanation or impression on the bands you choose, and not just write long lists.

Please do so, as pyroleprechaun, Dream_Of_Hate, Crimson Death and others did, don't just publish endless lists nobody will ever read.

lol....well most ov the ones i listed were discovered on MS Radio.....others by just browsing through the archives, and a few by just members mentioning / suggesting them.
08.06.2006 - 15:19
dark awakening
Dark Funeral, the page immediately caught my attention, 'cause of the picture of 4 black metallers around a cauldron.
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
08.06.2006 - 15:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
About all bands I know, besides Slayer, Pantera, CoF & Dimmu Borgir.

But, to name a few:

Alcest (Cryptic, I owe you one!)
Mysticum (No idea who posted their album 'Into The Streams Of Inferno' here, but I owe that one too. I love it)
Shape Of Despair (As all Funeral Doom, thanks to those who created those threads over here)
Morbid Saint (Bength made a thread about them in MSv2, I love them)

I've gotten tons and tons more of bands that I know because of you, the members. ALL have a beer from me.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
08.06.2006 - 15:42
Trifixion
Account deleted
Hmm for me it's Enthroned!! I remember seeing one of the members under the RIP section one day so I clicked it and it took me to their page, and they kinda caught my interest. Then I believe Southern Wind had a thread on them and they were getting alot of praise there so I downloaded The Apocalypsa Manifesto and I love it! I owe you one Southern
08.06.2006 - 23:26
Lupas
Maximus
Well the list posted here are most power metal or symphonic power metal.
I like these two styles of music and i will add more new bands with the help of this site
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
09.06.2006 - 03:29
Alouqua
Account deleted
OK, so I discovered a lot of bands here:

First one was Virgin Black My always beloved... This is one of my fav. bands in the world and I found them here. I don't remember how but if I'm ok it was when I was reading something about one band I like and it said: Similar band... Virgin Black! I started to download some music of them and now... Well I really like the sadness and the beauty (and the darkness) in their songs and I adore Rowan voice, so unique.
Theatres des Vampires: I really like this band, I guess I discovered it when I was looking info about gothic metal or something like that. And when I read the name I was shock (I love anne rice) and well the same story... download some music and i fall in love. Sonia's voice, presence the music everything is so powerful...
Epica: Another band I found here. At the beginning I don't really like Simon voice but I get used I guess and now I like her voice. The thing that help me to love this band was Mark and now I found Simone voice BEAUTIFUL.
The same story happen with:
Within Temptation : I like it but I can't love them...
Elvenking: yeah, I love them! something new to my ears and it feel so good
and a long list that I don't find necessary to post here, because is almost the same story
09.06.2006 - 18:49
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Pelican & Jesu: Looking for bands like Tool, both are relaxing and complex, have long, slow tempo songs. Both are awesome.
Lake Of Tears: Great band, my favourite album is The Neonai. Excellent.
Battlelore: Tolkien metal!!!!!!

Thaks MS!!!!!
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
09.06.2006 - 19:04
Nightmare^
I'd like to thank MS for giving me the chance to find bands like Enthroned(I saw them sited here, visited their official site, downloaded a few songs, bought some albums and after that I've become a great fan of them).....I've found more bands here, but I just can't seem to remember :p
----
09.06.2006 - 19:05
Daru Jericho
Novembers Doom ~ They were hailed by someone as an awesome American doom metal band and I just had to check them out. I was not disappointed.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

09.06.2006 - 19:54
UnholyMenace
Psycho
Nightwish - when I first came here in 2003 I didnt know nothing about the band. I read many good reviews and posts about the band and I decided to try it out.
09.06.2006 - 22:00
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I already had an extensive knowledge of metal bands before I discovered Metal Storm, and I was quite deep into the genre after just one year of listening to metal. However, there are some bands that I would have never encountered without Metal Storm. Here are a few great bands I have discovered thanks to the reviews I read, the threads I visited, and the people I talked to on this website.

!T.O.O.H.!: I discovered this bizarre and superbly amazing band when I read Herzy's review of their fantastic "Pod Vladou Bice" album. I checked out just one of the mp3s the band had on their site, and I was blown away. I immediately proceeded to downloading their album on DC++, and the album became one of my all-time favs. The band never seems to get old, and I always enjoy listening to them.

Vital Remains: I first heard about this band when I read Richard's review of their "Dechristianize" album. Considering it had the infamous Glen Benton doing the vocals, I decided to check the album out, considering that the review declared that the album was incredible. When I first heard the album, it exceeded all my expectations. "Dechristianize" soon went on to become one of my top 10 favorite albums of all time.

Dragonforce: I have seen that Dragonforce was very popular around the site when I first came, and I have heard that many users on YTMND (another website I frequent, although it is not metal but more humor and internet meme based) list Dragonforce as their favoritest metal band. Out of curiosity, I downloaded the first mp3 I could find of the band. The mp3 happened to be 'Fury Of The Storm', which is now my all-time favorite song from the group.

Nearly every goregrind/gore metal band I listen to: If it weren't for the recommendations given to me by good friends like Herzebeth and Angel Deformity, I wouldn't be where I am in metal today. After listening to bands like Torsofuck, Cock And Ball Torture, Last Days Of Humanity, and many others, I now crave for more goregrind/gore metal. I am discovering new bands of this genre everyday, and it was all thanks to the recommendations given to me by my friends on Metal Storm.

I would like to thank the following users for recommending me these awesome bands. I owe you guys a debt I can never repay.

Herzebeth
Richard
Angel Deformity
09.06.2006 - 23:04
priit
I've found most of the bands i listen to today from Metal Storm. Most notably Therion, Within Temptation and Graveworm.
10.06.2006 - 23:30
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Almost all my current favourite bands have been discovered thx to MS, so it would be pretty boring to name them all. I'll just mention the ones about which I clearly remember the reasons for checking them out :

Cruachan : I loved Folk Metal when I arrived on MS but I used to only know Mägo de Oz and Elvenking. So I was reading a thread about Folk Metal and C-Dub mentionned Cruachan, and I fell in love with the band!

Nile : I was looking for bands mixing Eastern sound and some death influence, like early Orphaned Land, and I found Nile which perfectly fits what I needed.
Nile introduced me to DM, many other great bands followed, also discovered through MS (the latest being Obituary)

Pain of Salvation when I was looking for some new progressive material. One the best band I ever found out in the prog genre, along with Evergrey !!

Some thrash bands since I was a big fan of Metallica, Megadeth and Sepultura when I arrived. That's how I discovered modern thrash bands like Nevermore.

There still are many bands I've discovered here but there's no need to mention them all. I'd just add that I was rather a melodic metal fan when I arrived (except for some thrash), and MS made me listen to DM and BM. I didn't like BM but now I'm in love with DM!!
Big thx to everyone (reviewers, posters, ...)
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
11.06.2006 - 01:27
Dam3k
I've discovered here:
-Dimmu Borgir (an exception in my usual hate for extreme metal)
-Finntroll (Same)
-The Cult
-HIM
-The 69 eyes
-Queens of the Stone Age
-Adagio

You see there are a few more but this ones are the ones who I enjoyed the most and some of them are among my favourites right now!
----

11.06.2006 - 09:27
tuerda
First band that comes to mind is Beheaded. I saw some very positive reviews here, and none of my metalhead friends had ever heard of them. I checked them out and was very pleased.
Dark Tranquility was a band I got into entirely through metalstorm. I probably would have run into them eventually anyways, but they were also a pretty great find.
Dimmu Borgir I looked into only because they were so popular here. They are a listenable band, although they don't really do much for me.
Susperia and Old Mans Child were both described on metalstorm as better versions of Dimmu Borgir. I checked them both out and found that I agreed.
Thanks to Metalstorm descriptions and reviews I knew Mortician would not be a band for me no matter how much my friend pimped it. I finally did listen to some of it and regretted it deeply. Thanks metalstorm!
Blind Guardian is a band I looked into because they were popular on Metalstorm. They are my favourite power metal band.
Folk metal in general was an entire subgenre I didn't know much about. Thanks to metalstorm I have discovered Ensiferum, Finntroll, Falkenbach, Moonsorrow, Lumsk and several others. Hell yeah!
Cephallic Carnage was a band my friend had talked about, but he never had the CDs with him so I could listen to it. I read a couple reviews on metalstorm and insisted on following him home just so I could hear their stuff. I am very glad I did!
Bal Sagoth I think is a band that about 1/3 of metalheads really like but are ashamed to admit it because they are so cheesy. Thanks to metalstorm, I am one of them.
Hard to forget my favourite thrash metal band: Sodom. I probably would never have listened to any of it if metalstorm hadn't piqued my interest enough to read some reviews.
There are probably many more that I can't think of off the top of my head. I love you metalstorm!