Metal Storm logo
Great Bands You Discovered Thanks To Metal Storm

Original post

Posted by Taktsekte, 08.06.2006 - 00:01
I would like to open a topic where I am able to thank Metalstorm for being so useful to improve my metal knowledge and culture. There are some bands whose existance I were either not aware of or which I had never listened, yet after reading some positive comments about them I was curious and discovered some really good bands that I'm still into (and, naturally, some bands that I did not like at all).

These great bands are Dream Theater and Dark Tranquillity for me. I saw a lot of Dream Theater fans here on Metalstorm who described them as "great professional instrumentalists" and "music for musicians". I'm a pianist and composer myself, as well as a Melodic Metal fan, so I bought "Metropolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory" and got the "Live at Budokan" DVD as a birthday present and - hell, these guys know what they are doing. I'm still addicted to Dream Theater (especially the following albums: "Images and Words", "Metropolis Pt II: Scenes From A Memory" and "Train of Thought") and I'm looking forward to watching them live.

About Dark Tranquillity, they are the last band that I've added to my favourites. Them and Opeth (all right, In Flames too, but I knew them way before I joined Metalstorm) were the ones that opened my mind to the beautiful Melodic Death Metal genre. My favourite album by them is "Damage Done", and my favourite song is "Monochromatic Stains".

So, share your positive experiences with us about discovering new bands on Metalstorm! (This is topic #1000 by the way )

Edit: Please explain your thoughts, don't just write a list. Nobody reads long lists.
06.06.2009 - 19:57
Janne
Hugin
Written by Andresopeth on 26.05.2009 at 23:54

I have known lot of bands thanks to metal storm!, my favorites of the ones i have discovered from here are Eternal Tears Of Sorrow, Epica and Draconian

yeah! these are all great bands!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
07.06.2009 - 02:07
AbdelioR

I'm in MetalStorm since few days ago so I still have a lot to discover, one of the few bands I have discovered is "Anaal Nathrakh", just amazing.
----
97. Keep your Gore level down for your friends, you're still a social being.
09.06.2009 - 12:14
Yossarian

Hi metalstormers.

I opened a topic yesterday about this and got obviously locked because there was this one already opened. I swear that I searched before for some good time and can't find this one. Anyways, this is a topic that has to be posted. Thanks Tatsekte.

As said above, this site is particularly great for getting to know new bands in the "similar bands" choice, above all. There you can see which bands are similar to the ones you already know.

In my case, I don't have metalhead friends living near at the moment and this situation has happened for long periods of my life after leaving High School more or less, so it is difficult to me to meet new bands or to know which new and older albums are better for the ones I know. MS has been perfect for both issues during the last year after I discovered them while trying to get to know which Savatage albums were better considered.

The list is quite long and some bands as Before The Dawn or Haggard have become one of my favs since. However there are other ones that I have not like much. Besides, there were old bands that for some reason I did not get until now, though I knew them and even heard them back in the 80´s or 90´s, such as Helstar, Blitzkrieg, Omen and -doomers please forgive- Candlemass. About Candlemass there is a logic explanation: I used to like Speed Metal a lot from 1987 until 1992, so I did not like them at all when I heard them. I was kinda not prepared. The same happened with The 3rd and the Mortal and My "Loving" Dying Bride.

The bands that I have got to know here -never heard before- are: Adagio, Agalloch, Anacrusis, Ayreon, Before the Dawn, Bloodbath, Borknagar, Dissection, Draconian, Ebony Ark -and there are Spanish-, Edge of Sanity -though I knew that Dan Swano had a quite good solo project but did not know the name. I though it was Edge of Darkness, a videogame-, Eluveitie, Ensiferum, Evergrey, Forefather, Gojira, Graveworm, Green Carnation, Haggard, In Mourning, Kalmah, Lake of Tears, Lamb of God, Leaves' Eyes, Moonsorrow, Negura Bunget, Nile, Primordial, Rapture, Satan, Turisas, Virgin Black, Wuthering Heights, Xandria.

p.s. In the case of Omen. It is quite funny. A friend of mine from 1988 or so -gypsy btw- had this band taped, but really bad recorded and we thought that they were Doom Metal and I thought that until I read here that they play Heavy...conclusion...I think that my friend had the tape recorded from a vynil and they put it at 33 r.p.m. instead of 45...The same happened to us with an EP from Kreator and we thought that they have changed the style. Well...it is funny, though I regret not having take care of getting Omen until now.
14.06.2009 - 14:54
Coka

The groups that I discovered here are: Testament, DevilDriver, At The Gates, Morbid Angel, Alestorm, Amon Amarth, Celtic Frost, Dissection, Holy Blood, Kyuss, Meshuggah, Negura Bunget, Pain Of Salvation and Sodom. I love them
03.07.2009 - 01:02
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Thank you MetalStorm for the following:

Isis
Oceans of Sadness
Seiges Even
----
rekt
13.07.2009 - 23:21
Wyrd

Thanks MelatStorm for Wintersun & Icewind!! Without MetalStorm I would have never discoverd these 2
Amazing bands!!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
15.07.2009 - 06:23
vulgar talent

Believe it or not.. Behemoth . I had heard them once before but thanks to MS I gave em another chance and now I don't dislike them as much haha
15.07.2009 - 21:23
sylrmha

I'm pritty new to Metal Storm and this is my first post.
but thanks to MS, im now a fan of
Obscura
Kreator
and fuckin Morbid Angel
25.07.2009 - 16:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Since yesterday it is Dalriada...and i think also Moonsorrow i firstly met here...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

25.07.2009 - 16:56
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Ellrohir on 25.07.2009 at 16:06

Since yesterday it is Dalriada...and i think also Moonsorrow i firstly met here...

Same here for Moonsorrow...now one of my fav bands.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
25.07.2009 - 18:27
Janne
Hugin
Written by Ellrohir on 25.07.2009 at 16:06

hail Ellrohir, the newest Dalriada fan!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
25.07.2009 - 18:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Janne on 25.07.2009 at 18:27

hail Ellrohir, the newest Dalriada fan!

looking forward to new album
----

26.07.2009 - 00:55
Biedrik

Well, Amon Amarth is one band that I got into because of metal storm. No, I didn't find out about them here. I'd known of them for a while, and knew that a lot of people liked them. However, I never actually got around to checking them out. Metal storm reminded me get off my ass and go listen to some of their songs. It was fantastic.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
28.09.2009 - 19:25
Panterica

So far - nothing, I hope you guys can help me find some good prog-metal bands, thrash and power. Any suggestion will be aperciated .
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
29.09.2009 - 06:05
GamlaSonn

Written by Panterica on 28.09.2009 at 19:25

So far - nothing, I hope you guys can help me find some good prog-metal bands, thrash and power. Any suggestion will be aperciated .

Well if you like death/thrash i could've mentioned a bunch, but I don't think it's your thing?

Any who, I honestly don't remember if I discovered any bands through here, but probably, so thanks
29.09.2009 - 11:21
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Panterica on 28.09.2009 at 19:25

Imo by far the best Power Metal band is "Sabaton", check them out
29.09.2009 - 19:19
Panterica

Sabaton? Never heard of them, I'll check. As for GamalaSonn - I love thrash, not that familiar with death but so far it's also good.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
29.09.2009 - 23:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Man, you gotta listen to Sabaton as soon as possible!
----

04.10.2009 - 23:34
Deadpool

Metal Storm has never introduced me to anything because metal storm sucks ass. Most of the people on this site are posers, and this site is littered with malcore bands. and all of those people who think that malcore isn't an actual term are imbisouls. Malcore is a term, and all the bands to fall under it suck, and if you listen to those bands you suck, and are not a metalhead, and deserve to die if they call themselves metalheads.
05.10.2009 - 00:41
Derwood

Now remember kiddies, don't feed the trolls.

I've found quite a few bands through MS, especially since I discovered MS when I was looking for top album lists to start exploring genres I hadn't paid much attention to, like black and doom.

Just a few from this year would be Obscura, Kalisia, Process of Guilt, and Revocation among others. I've also discovered a few "classic" bands I wasn't aware of but should have been, like Entomed, Deicide, and At the Gates (especially since I've been a death metal fan for years!).
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
07.10.2009 - 23:26
SerratedSyringe

I can attribute my infatuation with the following bands to Metal Storm.
-Anaal Nathrakh,
-Arch Enemy,
-Behemoth,
-Die Apokalyptischen Reiter,
-Krisiun
-Napalm Death
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
17.10.2009 - 11:59
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I got more! I must have been living in a cave the last decade...

Agalloch
Jesu
OSI
Disillusion
----
rekt
18.10.2009 - 21:10
farmakon
Whispering Gloom
I have to thank Metal Storm and metalstormers especially for Windir, Dalriada, Kauan, Tenhi, Kalisia, Empyrium, Shining, Sigh, Profetus, Oceans Of Sadness, Lykathea Aflame, Darkspace, Mysticum, Virgin Black, Estatic Fear and I could go on and on...
21.04.2010 - 14:40
Edmund Fogg

The big 2 bands I discvered thanks to MS are whitout a doubt Barren Earth and Vintersorg.Since I discorvered this site I'm on it more often then Facebook haha
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
21.04.2010 - 14:53
Bleed4Metal

I like goin on MS for the Metal News and tour dates/lineups. Also the company of our Brothers and Sisters of Metal!

STAY BRUTAL
22.04.2010 - 17:48
arwestromen

Thanks to MS I know listen to stuff like White Wizzard, Gama Bomb and Immortal
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
28.04.2010 - 15:51
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Deadpool on 04.10.2009 at 23:34

Metal Storm has never introduced me to anything because metal storm sucks ass. Most of the people on this site are posers, and this site is littered with malcore bands. and all of those people who think that malcore isn't an actual term are imbisouls. Malcore is a term, and all the bands to fall under it suck, and if you listen to those bands you suck, and are not a metalhead, and deserve to die if they call themselves metalheads.

prick
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.04.2010 - 15:53
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
All of the bands on my favourites list... except for metallica and sf
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.04.2010 - 16:44
Janne
Hugin
The most recent one is Whispered. Just listen to the song Dead Cold Inside and you'll see what I'm talking about!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
06.05.2010 - 22:51
Costa

A lot of them. I use to come here look for new Bands, new CD and Metal news. I usually start from the Bands I like, look into their connections to listen the songs on MySpace player.
Last two bands I remember Timeless Miracle and Heavenly.