Metal Storm logo
Favorite Multi-Talented Vocalist?

19.12.2007 - 09:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Alright, first question you might have is "what does he mean by 'Multi-Talented'?" well its simple, just vocalists who can both growl and do clean vocals, Mikael Akerfeldt being a great example of this. I feel having someone who can do both really adds a lot of depth to the music, and variety. My personal favorite is Warlord from Turisas, he showed his range best in the newest album, his growls got far more intense and his clean singing appeared to be more confident as well as being well placed in the music. So who are some of your favs?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.12.2007 - 09:24
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I'm sure people will post the shit out of Mikael. While I do agree he is talented at both styles, I am more of a fan of Kristoffer "Garm" Rygg of Ulver fame. While his extreme vocals are very necro indeed, I prefer his haunting clean vocal style. However, both of his styles are some of the finer examples of vocals among not only the Metal scene, but music scene, in my opinion.
----
The force will be with you, always.
19.12.2007 - 10:04
FOOCK Nam
Jari from Wintersun, Devin Townsend, not sure for this guy, but maybe he does both growl and clean. Valfar of Windir, with my high respect and recommend, he did well both harsh and epic vocal. And Dave of Anaal Nathrakh, also shriek and epic/clean vocals. The vocalist of Dark Tranquility in the song Therein also are 2: growl and clean. Though Im not sure if that is from one. Those are what I remember at the moment.
19.12.2007 - 10:15
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Of course how could I forget, Devin Townsend totally slipped my mind. An amazing shrieker, but with also very deep, and emotionally moving vocals. My favorite performance of his is from 'Accelerated Evolution.'
----
The force will be with you, always.
19.12.2007 - 14:39
matthioso
my favourit is Christian Älvestam of Scar Symmetry
Just listen to their music, he's awesome.
----
www.seedofrock.be
19.12.2007 - 19:02
Warman
Erotic Stains
Åkerfeldt of course. I'm in love with both his growl and clean vocals. An atmospheric voice to atmospheric music.
----
19.12.2007 - 19:23
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i'm not really a fan of growls and stuff, but i think John Greely from old Iced Earth and that guy from Ensiferum are great in these areas. Greely has one of the most unbelievable ranges i've heard, but the guy from Ensiferum wins it for me. he can black-scream, death-growl, and of course chant!!

EDIT: looked it up on M-A and apparently it's Jari Menpaa, if this isn't correct someone please tell me.
19.12.2007 - 19:46
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Valentin B on 19.12.2007 at 19:23

EDIT: looked it up on M-A and apparently it's Jari Menpaa, if this isn't correct someone please tell me.

It is correct, Jari Mäenpää sang on the two first albums. Today Petri Lindroos is their vocalist.
----
19.12.2007 - 20:28
Charly546
Kenn Nardi from Anacrusis. Nice growls (if you can call them that), great mid-range singing and nice shrieks. Overall, a great, and pretty unique vocalist.

Flemming Rönsdorf from Artillery. More 'love or hate' type vocalist, with me falling into 'love' categorie. He does great growls and shrieks. Sometimes feels like there are two singers, one growling and one doing mid-range and shrieks. Although some may find him annoying.
19.12.2007 - 21:18
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
I'm gonna go with Dan Swanö. I really like his clean vocals (especially the ones on Nightingale) and his growls on the solo album are supreme. Definitely Mr. Åkerfeldt gets his due too. Really love his growls and clean vocals. Adam Agius of Alchemist fame is also fucking TOP NOTCH!
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
19.12.2007 - 21:28
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Jari souds pretty good both ways, I like it, although he doesnt do anything impressive in cleans.
----
19.12.2007 - 22:18
Iceland_Norway
I prefer Vision Divine, Los Angeles, Mr.Pig, Luppi, Singer Michele Luppi because he has too good and clean voice, but He can sing also Death Metal without problems, Judas Priest, and Guns and Roses.
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
20.12.2007 - 16:13
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Damn! I forgot one who definitely deserves attention!! Masha from Russian folk band Arkona, damn, she seriously know how to sing! Powerful screams and growls, or clean folk singing, she rocks in both ways!!!
Check it out who didnt yet.
----
07.01.2008 - 01:06
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Think this can depends of the situation but my vote goes to...Piet Sielck from Iron Savior!
07.01.2008 - 02:52
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Clintagräm on 19.12.2007 at 09:24

I'm sure people will post the shit out of Mikael. While I do agree he is talented at both styles, I am more of a fan of Kristoffer "Garm" Rygg of Ulver fame. While his extreme vocals are very necro indeed, I prefer his haunting clean vocal style. However, both of his styles are some of the finer examples of vocals among not only the Metal scene, but music scene, in my opinion.

Agreed
07.01.2008 - 17:22
Ascalon
It depends .. butmy vote goes to ... Andre Matos ...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
10.01.2008 - 16:57
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Maynard James Keenan from Tool; Spite he doesn't growl that much his voice has alot of variants.
Garm from Ulver: Waht C.J.W Wyatt said; very necro extreme vocals, but his melodic hauntin vocals are better.
Corey Taylor from Slipknot: Well, he has a really soft voice when he's not screaming.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
10.01.2008 - 21:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
@Jonas: Ive never heard Keenan growl at all, what recordings does he growl on?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.01.2008 - 05:55
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
akerfeldt is great he can sing very sotf and mellow and heavy as hell
----
Stay Metal !!!
11.01.2008 - 22:34
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Doc G. on 10.01.2008 at 21:50

@Jonas: Ive never heard Keenan growl at all, what recordings does he growl on?

In Lateralus, on the song Tick and Leeches. And in some other songs... maybe not sao growl, but I don't know how to call his harsh vocals' cause they're not totally growl but the're not completely melodic either
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
04.11.2008 - 08:10
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I'm gonna go with Peter Tagtgren of Hypocrisy as one of my favorites.. He can really pull off good growls when he tries. The song Warpath is a good example
----
Coldgrits
04.11.2008 - 18:05
Dark Blood
The Avenger
My votes go to Mikael from Opeth and Arjen Lucassen from Ayreon. I'm surprised no one has mentioned him.. All work he has done through all these years impresses me.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
04.11.2008 - 19:34
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by -DC-002- on 04.11.2008 at 08:10

I'm gonna go with Peter Tagtgren of Hypocrisy as one of my favorites.. He can really pull off good growls when he tries. The song Warpath is a good example

Yeah, I like him when he screams, he's a real alien..
04.11.2008 - 23:07
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Stu Block from Into Eternity, of course. Though Christian Alvestam from Scar Symmetry is awesome, too.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
17.11.2008 - 13:30
Eeric
Account deleted
Mikkel Sandager and Christian Alvestam, (Dani Filth, King Diamond) not sure if they what you mean about "multi-talent"
17.11.2008 - 13:33
Nightmare^
Jari Maenpaa, Mikael Akerfeldt and Warrel Dane. All three are amazing
----
18.11.2008 - 22:40
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Guest on 17.11.2008 at 13:30

Mikkel Sandager and Christian Alvestam, (Dani Filth, King Diamond) not sure if they what you mean about "multi-talent"

I love Dani Filth's voice too, but here we're talking about vocalists who can both perform clean and growled vocals, dude...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
18.11.2008 - 23:29
-Soulreaper-
I guess my favorite would also have to be Mr. Akerfeldt.

Just amazing clean vocals as well as great growls.
19.11.2008 - 10:52
KryptoN
imperceptible
I would have to say Pasi Koskinen. His extreme vocals are top notch including the raw "blackened" screams in Ajattara, the deep atmospheric growls in Shape of Despair and the faster brutal DM growls in To Separate the Flesh From the Bones. In addition I like his cleaner voice (ex-Amorphis, Mannhai) which is quite distinctive, although some might find it annoying for that reason.
21.11.2008 - 08:19
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...well i have to admit mikael has surprised me, he is very talented, it sometimes seems there's two different guys singing lol...i'd say anselmo is my favorite, he morphs amazing growls with melodic clean vocals...uhm take cemetary gates as an example, uuh i love it...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...