Metal Storm logo
Favorite Multi-Talented Vocalist?

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 19.12.2007 - 09:02
Alright, first question you might have is "what does he mean by 'Multi-Talented'?" well its simple, just vocalists who can both growl and do clean vocals, Mikael Akerfeldt being a great example of this. I feel having someone who can do both really adds a lot of depth to the music, and variety. My personal favorite is Warlord from Turisas, he showed his range best in the newest album, his growls got far more intense and his clean singing appeared to be more confident as well as being well placed in the music. So who are some of your favs?
23.11.2008 - 23:27
benvolent
Although I don't listen to them anymore, I'd say Serj Tankian - never seen System of a down live and can't judge, whether he's just a studio-wonder, but on the albums I really like his style. Multitalented in the best way!
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
24.11.2008 - 00:22
thesabbathfan
Chuck Billy from testament! he's awesome in my book =D
----
24.11.2008 - 18:45
benvolent
Ah, just exploring Akercocke, and their Jason Mendonca is quite talented too! Does every kind of screaming, growling very well and an unexpected wide range of clean vocals.
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
14.02.2009 - 16:16
Joker
Mine are
Dan Swano (edge of sanity)
Peter Tagtgren (hypocrisy)
Asis Nasseri (haggard)

offcourse they're behind the master King Diamond
20.02.2009 - 05:32
munson
My vote is for the vocalist from Into Eternity -- I think Tim Roth does most of it, but I'm not too sure. You would think after seeing them life five times I would know, but I can't remember for the life of me.

Otherwise, I would have to say Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth, as I'm sure you all know) or the guy from All That Remains.
20.02.2009 - 18:03
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by munson on 20.02.2009 at 05:32

My vote is for the vocalist from Into Eternity -- I think Tim Roth does most of it, but I'm not too sure. You would think after seeing them life five times I would know, but I can't remember for the life of me.

Otherwise, I would have to say Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth, as I'm sure you all know) or the guy from All That Remains.

Actually, Tim Roth is in for clean choirs only, now, though he used to growl in early albums. Now Stu Block performs lead clean vocals and all growls and shrieks. Good choice, by the way, I mentioned the same vocalist! ^^
And NO, we don't all know Mikael Akerfeldt is from Opeth, since not everybody drools all over Opeth, and that includes me...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
20.02.2009 - 18:34
munson
Written by MétalNoir on 20.02.2009 at 18:03

Actually, Tim Roth is in for clean choirs only, now, though he used to growl in early albums. Now Stu Block performs lead clean vocals and all growls and shrieks. Good choice, by the way, I mentioned the same vocalist! ^^
And NO, we don't all know Mikael Akerfeldt is from Opeth, since not everybody drools all over Opeth, and that includes me...

That's actually VERY refreshing to hear. While Opeth are really talented, I don't drool over them either. Their music just doesn't excite me in any way (I'm a firm believer that Damnation is by far their best album. Maybe I just don't get the whole Opeth thing, not that it matter much to me.
20.02.2009 - 18:43
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by munson on 20.02.2009 at 18:34

That's actually VERY refreshing to hear. While Opeth are really talented, I don't drool over them either. Their music just doesn't excite me in any way (I'm a firm believer that Damnation is by far their best album. Maybe I just don't get the whole Opeth thing, not that it matter much to me.

People claim Opeth is atmospheric and have good long songs, but that's WRONG. Their songs are way too long for the number of notes included within. It's the same thing with Agalloch, I like them enough, but you can't say they make something that rocks. If I wanna listen to good long atmospheric songs, I'll go for Summoning or Moonsorrow...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
20.02.2009 - 19:37
munson
Written by MétalNoir on 20.02.2009 at 18:43

Written by munson on 20.02.2009 at 18:34

People claim Opeth is atmospheric and have good long songs, but that's WRONG. Their songs are way too long for the number of notes included within. It's the same thing with Agalloch, I like them enough, but you can't say they make something that rocks. If I wanna listen to good long atmospheric songs, I'll go for Summoning or Moonsorrow...

I'll agree with that. For my atmospheric stuff, though, I like some good old post-rock or post-metal.
22.02.2009 - 23:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Mikael Akerfeldt gets ASS RAPED by Phil Anselmo in his prime. that guy could have sung pretty much everything except opera music or really deep growling shit(though i haven't heard his more recent stuff like Reinventing the Steel or Down's work), and does all of these really fucking good:
clean? Cemetery Gates
hardcore scream? The Great Southern Trendkill, Walk, Cowboys from Hell
shriek? (oh fuck yeah) Shattered, Cemetery Gates(the bit near the end)

and i haven't even got through half of Pantera's discography with Phil.

aside from MAYBE some other damn good vocalists who come only a bit close like Rob Halford, Jon Greely or Jari Maenpaa this guy crushes all competition from all the metal vocalists i've heard so far.

EDIT been looking through the thread and found that ONLY ONE other user talked about Anselmo. people why the fuck don't you give credit where it's due? everyone just keeps on wanking Mikael Akerfeldt
23.02.2009 - 00:01
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Valentin B on 22.02.2009 at 23:51

Mikael Akerfeldt gets ASS RAPED by Phil Anselmo in his prime. that guy could have sung pretty much everything except opera music or really deep growling shit(though i haven't heard his more recent stuff like Reinventing the Steel or Damageplan's work), and does all of these really fucking good:
clean? Cemetery Gates

Anselmo wasn't part of Damageplan.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.02.2009 - 00:13
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Anselmo is indeed a great vocalist... and I've actually been thinking about that recently. However you can't underestimate Akerfeld 'cause he's just very talented too.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
23.02.2009 - 08:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 23.02.2009 at 00:01

Written by Valentin B on 22.02.2009 at 23:51

Mikael Akerfeldt gets ASS RAPED by Phil Anselmo in his prime. that guy could have sung pretty much everything except opera music or really deep growling shit(though i haven't heard his more recent stuff like Reinventing the Steel or Damageplan's work), and does all of these really fucking good:
clean? Cemetery Gates

Anselmo wasn't part of Damageplan.

yeah i edited the post, i always confuse Down and Damageplan
25.02.2009 - 23:05
Saitenhexerin
Anselmo's voice is pretty cool, yeah.

But I wonder that this name hasn't occured so far: Robb Flynn - Just listen to Through the Ashes [...] or the Blackening, he almost tries everything - he screams, shouts, cries, sings, prays, swears, whispers, growls, roars - just everything! It is amazing, because Robb Flynn really knows how to transport emotions with his voice. That fascinates me.

And Mikaels vocals are incredible too - I love Ghost Reveries.
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
26.02.2009 - 00:53
Galar
Wicked Mung
I vote for Barlow, Valfar(soft and harsh), Jari during the Ensiferum days, and the dude from Andromeda. He can sing, I forget his name.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
12.03.2009 - 16:36
FarBeyondDriven
Account deleted
Phil H. Anselmo (Pantera,Down,many other side projects)

The guy can do anything...just look at the difference at the vocals on these songs:

Burnnn!
Death Rattle
Cemetery Gates
5 Minutes Alone
Slaughter
Suicide note part 1
War Nerve (BDW those are all songs from one band)

His range is immense...he can do stuff that would make you think "is this Chuck Schuldiner" to stuff that sound like some soft song sung by Bruce Dickenson
16.03.2009 - 16:07
ToMegaTherion
As far as multi talented singers are concerned three names come to mind for me, of two male and one female vocalists.
Ihsahn (Emperor, Ihsahn, Peccatum) - Ihsahn is an outstanding singer with a wide variety of styles which have been expressed on multiple occasions at one point or another throughout his entire career. He goes from full powered opera style vocals, to clean smooth vocals, to rough and harm vocals and finally a snare that can send chills to the bone on a good day. He is also a musician that expresses a great deal of emotion while singing, and leave you with a great deal of respect and admiration for the man.

Mat Barlow - Mat's style also varies significantly ranging from a high pitch screem, stunning mid range vocals, deep heart warming vocals, harsh almost brutal vocals. More than that though, Matt expresses more emotion in his voice than most singers going around. He can make you feel how a song is ment to make you feel.

Simone Simons - Simone has got one of the most stunning female voices on the planet, and not just in metal circles. She can extress vocal range that could almost shatter glass, and a vast arsenal of mid to low range vocals that keep you guessing. She is also another sing who knows how to express herself very well when she sings. For me Simone Simons is the best female voice in metal.
16.03.2009 - 20:46
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
For some strange reason nobody here mentioned Mike Patton yet.
He is easily better at being multi-faceted than any vocalist mentioned here so far.
17.03.2009 - 00:40
ToMegaTherion
Written by jupitreas on 16.03.2009 at 20:46

He is easily better at being multi-faceted than any vocalist mentioned here so far.

My apologies, I forgot Mike Patton. I agree he is amazing. Thank you
17.03.2009 - 01:45
-Morbid-
I dunno if I have a favorite, but some that I like are:

Hernan "Eddie" Hermida from All Shall Perish
Athera from Susperia
Chuck Billy from Testament
Christian Alvestam from Scar Symmetry
Chris Valagao aka Heathen from Zimmers Hole
17.03.2009 - 05:26
Biedrik
I'm gonna have to disagree with a good number of people about Akerfeldt. He does have one the best growls I've ever heard, but his clean vocals just boring. They're so devoid of energy. A much better mixed vocalist is Stu Block of Into Eternity. Great growls, great screams, great clean vocals, and an awesome falsetto. He puts a lot of energy into each style. Nothing is neglected by him.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
18.03.2009 - 16:09
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by -Morbid- on 17.03.2009 at 01:45

Athera from Susperia

how is Chuck Billy a multi-talented vocalist may I ask?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
18.03.2009 - 16:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by K✞ulu on 18.03.2009 at 16:09

Athera from Susperia

I was just wondering the same thing.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.03.2009 - 10:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2009 at 16:55

Athera from Susperia

I was just wondering the same thing.

I guess some people are just more sensitive to ranges, yeah Chuck Billy has more aggressive and more melodic type vocals, but not really what I had in mind while making this thread. I was thinking more of people who go from distinct extreme metal vocals like death growls to melodic singing.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.03.2009 - 14:43
-Morbid-

I suppose I shouldn't have put him on the list since he doesn't do much in the way of melodic singing and compared to the others he isn't as multi-talented, but I think he also has a great death metal voice besides his normal vocals he does, so I considered him a good vocalist for both a thrash metal band and a death metal band.
21.03.2009 - 14:50
DayFly
Written by jupitreas on 16.03.2009 at 20:46

I agree. I honestly do not like most of the stuff he did but the man makes an instrument out of his voice like no other.
21.03.2009 - 17:11
Biedrik
Well, Chuck could be considered multi-talented since he could both growl and scream like a beast.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
11.08.2009 - 17:59
Razorback
Chuck Billy-Testament,it's amazing that someone singing old songs today the same as before ten years ago,he is the man of 100 voices respect!
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
18.08.2009 - 23:37
Skøllgrim
Northern
Tomi Joutsen from the newer Amorphis times (3 newest records, and on stage performs the old songs better than the old vocalists IMO) utilizes great death grunts as well as pulling of great variety of clean vocals, totally underrated guy! Anyone with me on that one?
20.08.2009 - 10:34
dEAthB3D
Of course mikael akerfeldt and valfar of windir... They're crazy
one more
abbath doom occulta from immortal... his drumming skill is good!!
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason