09. I Never Said Goodbye
10. Open Book
11. Do It
12. A Question [2010 re-release bonus]
13. Let's Have A War [2010 re-release bonus]
14. Who's To Blame [2010 re-release bonus]
15. Big Picture [Subhumans cover] [2010 re-release bonus]
16. Crawling [radio edit version] [2010 re-release bonus]

Avid fans of Sacred Reich's older releases will be immediately turned off by the sluggish, dragging guitar work, clearly void of the energy and charisma they once captured. Instead of a pummelling assault, we're given a predominantly mid-tempo, incredibly uninspired attempt, lacking ferocity, speed and overall dynamics. Effectively, Phil Rind's attempt to sound the way he did before does not work at all with the totally different, less developed sound.

The album might start off with a relatively fast-paced self-titled entry, although do not be fooled into thinking they will maintain this throughout the remaining duration of the album. Track after track, the listener will eventually realise what is being said here, as it becomes more obvious with every preceding second into the total playing time.

Lyrically, Rind has also stepped-back, taking a less offensive and less assertive approach, simplifying his views, making them even more accessible for those who haven't got the time or intelligence to discover what he usually viciously implies. Again, this signals the band's actual demise, as the listener will realise even after the first few tracks.

Supposedly, the reason why Sacred Reich failed to maintain consistently strong releases was due to excessive touring. It's surprising they didn't cease this at some point and deliver more of what fans might have desired, but not actually expected, because they could have amended their progressive downfall in doing so.

The only stand-out track here is "Free", apart from that, this album is best to be avoided at all costs, unless you want to be disappointed. Even not knowing what to expect wouldn't help here. Sacred Reich have definitely failed this time around.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 8

Written by | 20.12.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 45 users
21.12.2007 - 10:15
FrostbittenIlham
Account deleted
Short but nice review. I suppose there was not much to say. Would someone who doesn't know them yet like it though?
21.12.2007 - 10:18
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.12.2007 at 10:15

Short but nice review. I suppose there was not much to say. Would someone who doesn't know them yet like it though?

It might take some getting used to, if you're unfamiliar with Thrash, I suppose, but this verges on Grunge at times
21.12.2007 - 10:19
FrostbittenIlham
Account deleted
What about someone who's into Thrash already, but has never heard Sacred Reich's previous efforts?
21.12.2007 - 10:39
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.12.2007 at 10:19

What about someone who's into Thrash already, but has never heard Sacred Reich's previous efforts?

I'd advise they listen to Ignorance or Surf Nicaragua, to give an example of how they started, showing what they're more appreciated for
10.08.2008 - 04:49
THRASHTILDEATH

people i talk about this album hate this album but me i like it a lot the title track kick ass the riff in the song is just rules.
let have war free if only and do it are kick ass songs from this album. overall not a bad album
09.10.2008 - 04:10
Rating: 8
Timelord

This was the last release I bought from the Sacred Reich collection. I agree with the review somewhat. This album shows us where SR are headed. The first 2 songs "Independent and Free" start the album off good. From there it goes downhill fast. I knew SR were in trouble when this record was released. The grooves from previous efforts were gone and it sounds tired. Not the best of SR for sure.
09.08.2010 - 15:07
Rating: 9
nb

I first heard the American Way (maybe in 1994), and then I wanted more Sacred Reich, and years later
I found Independent, and to me this album just rocks, it is a blast of riff after riff, and they are all great.
"If only" might be one of my favorite instrumental songs ever.
10.02.2015 - 01:30
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Yeah, pretty much agree with Thrashtildeath. i really love the track Independent, especially that primary riff. the rest of the album never did much of anything for me.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 8022 | This month: 6