06. Sang millénaire
07. Privilège
08. La force des Souvenirs
09. Sentinelle
10. Miroir de la vie
11. Esclave
12. Labyrinthe
13. Hors la loi [live] [Japanese bonus]

"L'Ombre Et La Lumière" is already the third album of the Heavy Metal band from France, Manigance, when I remember that I discovered them in 2000 with their first EP, "Ligne De Vie", I have the feeling that I'm getting old now? but well whatever? After the good "D'un Autre Sang", the combo released this year their new album and well I'm sure that the fans will be simply pleased because even if we don't have a lot of new things on this album it's still Manigance if you see what I mean. If you liked their precedent album, you'll love this one for sure.

First I have to say that Didier Delsaux is better than ever and now his voice is the real "leader" of the music. Evidently his voice was already extremely important on the three others releases but well on "L'Ombre Et La Lumière" it's a lot more flagrant, Didier is without any doubt the strong point of Manigance. As always, the vocals are in French and I hope that the band will put a translation in English on their website one day because a lot of people would like to know the meaning of their text and then they could see that Manigance only talk about life and philosophy? so don't expect any spears or dragons with Manigance? (that's cool really).

But "L'Ombre Et La Lumière" is also a bit more "Proggy" and the omnipresence of the Keyboards is really addictive. The songs are a lot more complex and it seems that the band chose to work a lot more on their arrangements. It' s always a pure "in your face" Heavy Metal but on the other hand it's obvious that the twelve tracks (we even have a nice technical instrumental "Labyrinthe") of this CD aren't so easy of access than on "Ange Ou Démon". It works perfectly with killer songs like "Envahisseur" and its amazing riffs or with progressive, technical and really long "L'Ombre Et La Lumière" but it's not so good with songs like "Sentinelle" which are a bit boring with time.

I know that a lot of people say that Manigance sounds like an old Heavy Metal French band from the 80's. That's not so wrong but I have the feeling that "L'Ombre Et La Lumière" is a bit more modern. Of course it sounds like Manigance and on a side that's right we don't have a lot of new things on this release but the Prog aspect is still here (like on "D'Un Autre Sang") with in addition the power which was the force of "Ange Ou Demon". But it's Manigance so don't except a lot of surprises too? it's well done, the production is perfect (remember that Manigance do the recording and mastering at home in their own studios), the covers by Mattias Noren is classy, the musicians are exceptional and the songs are good but Manigance didn't give a lot of new things with this release.

If you like classy Heavy Metal, you can go for "L'Ombre Et La Lumière". The fans will be more than happy with this release but I'm not sure that the band will be able to find new fans with this release. I mean that if you don't like their precedent albums I doubt that you'll like this one but don't forget that there is a lot of good things on "L'Ombre Et La Lumière" and above all, it's a really good album of technical Heavy Metal so?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 08.06.2006

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 22 users
08.06.2006 - 17:34
ylside

Yes, 8 seems a good rating for Manigance's last release. I amazingly enjoyed L'Ombre Et La Lumière. The guitars are really dynamic and present. And I must admit that Didier isn't a bad vocalist, *isn't a bad* because normally I do no fully enjoy this kind of power metal vocals, but here, it works perfectly. Great album.
31.01.2008 - 18:24
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Cretainly a great point in manigance is their lyrics, no dragons or fantasy, which is really cool and hard to find, a heavy/power band that has originality in their lyrics. This album, indeed follows the same pattern as their previous but it still kicks ass. Diddier has a grat voice, and of course singing in french makes him sound unique. Great album.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!

Hits total: 5857 | This month: 7