Metal Storm logo
Australian Metalstormers

Original post

Posted by Dark Cornatus, 26.12.2007 - 05:19
This must be the 5th thread now for Aussie stormers? Possibly 6th.

How was everyones xmas?
10.08.2010 - 03:48
whatsacow
Written by Raiden on 09.08.2010 at 10:48

Written by Archetype on 09.08.2010 at 06:33

Written by whatsacow on 09.08.2010 at 05:11

Written by Archetype on 08.08.2010 at 17:23

Written by Judas on 08.08.2010 at 14:44

I'm guessing everyone has heard about Iron Maiden next year?

In relation to the Soundwave festival?

There is actually a semi decent line up this year. I was going to go last year to see meshuggah, and isis and that, but then i saw that trivium and my chemical romance, and a bunch of other shitty bands and weighed up that it wasnt worth it.

Its kind of gay that where i live, the only "metal" band thats coming for the next thousand years is: parkway drive, and butterfly effect. Tamworth sucks.

I guess it is decent when you consider the fact that soundwave isn't a metal festival. I don't think I'll be going this year either though. The overwhelming number of crap bands always tips the scales for me and I end up not going. If it was a handful of bands I enjoyed, then it would be worth it but there's so much crap in there.

Yeah I was uming and ahhing but Iron Maiden does sound pretty attractive. There are a few additional bands I wouldn't mind seeing (even if some are just ones that I used to like when I was a lot younger). You're right though when you said there is a lot of crap in there too.

Hopefully a few more metal bands will be announced. I think last year Anthrax were a late arrival to the band list (why did they not do a side-tour?!) so if some like that come along it could get better.

Yeah, well Iron Maiden and slayer seem to be the only decent bands there this year.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
10.08.2010 - 17:46
Raiden
Down Under Staff
elite
Written by whatsacow on 10.08.2010 at 03:48

Written by Raiden on 09.08.2010 at 10:48

Written by Archetype on 09.08.2010 at 06:33

Written by whatsacow on 09.08.2010 at 05:11

Written by Archetype on 08.08.2010 at 17:23

Written by Judas on 08.08.2010 at 14:44

I'm guessing everyone has heard about Iron Maiden next year?

In relation to the Soundwave festival?

There is actually a semi decent line up this year. I was going to go last year to see meshuggah, and isis and that, but then i saw that trivium and my chemical romance, and a bunch of other shitty bands and weighed up that it wasnt worth it.

Its kind of gay that where i live, the only "metal" band thats coming for the next thousand years is: parkway drive, and butterfly effect. Tamworth sucks.

I guess it is decent when you consider the fact that soundwave isn't a metal festival. I don't think I'll be going this year either though. The overwhelming number of crap bands always tips the scales for me and I end up not going. If it was a handful of bands I enjoyed, then it would be worth it but there's so much crap in there.

Yeah I was uming and ahhing but Iron Maiden does sound pretty attractive. There are a few additional bands I wouldn't mind seeing (even if some are just ones that I used to like when I was a lot younger). You're right though when you said there is a lot of crap in there too.

Hopefully a few more metal bands will be announced. I think last year Anthrax were a late arrival to the band list (why did they not do a side-tour?!) so if some like that come along it could get better.

Yeah, well Iron Maiden and slayer seem to be the only decent bands there this year.

If the tickets for Soundwave are around about the same price as an Iron Maiden sideshow ticket then I might as well go to Soundwave as I want to see Maiden. That's my theory anyway. As for the other bands I'd like to see The Sword, Slayer of course, Pennywise (a childhood fav), Primus (they're funny!), Kylsea might be worth a look in, Baz Anderson always goes on about Devildriver so they might be cool. Other than that like I said hopefully more good bands get announced
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
12.08.2010 - 03:37
Eternal Flames
I'm assuming Iron Maiden will do a shorter setlist at Soundwave, so that's really the only downside to it. Definitely better value going to Soundwave anyway considering Slayer are on the line-up as well and hopefully some more decent bands will be announced in the next few weeks. Plus, there's a few other bands I wouldn't mind seeing at Soundwave like Pennywise and Kylsea. I've seen Devildriver before and whilst it's not really my thing, they do put on a pretty damn good and intense show.

Did anyone else end up getting tickets for the Maiden sideshow though? I was surprised at how easy they were to get this time compared to the '08 tour. Although, it definitely hasn't been promoted as much this time compared to the last tour.
12.08.2010 - 04:05
Judas
The Amputator
@Eternal Flames: I have a feeling they'll play a lot of newer stuff at Soundwave and then more of the older stuff in the sideshows. Despite that, I think I'll just go to Soundwave because flying to Sydney or Melbourne to see them at a sideshow will probably prove to be a bit too expensive. Pretty sure the sideshow tickets are pretty much the same price as Soundwave tickets anyway, right?
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
12.08.2010 - 04:16
Eternal Flames
Yeah, they are pretty much the same price. Only reason I decided to go to the sideshow as well was because it'll be smaller/more intimate than Soundwave. But I can understand it'd be pointless going to a sideshow for yourself since they aren't doing one in Brisbane. I wouldn't mind hearing some of the newer stuff live anyway seeing as the last tour they pretty much played all the classics. That, and I actually don't mind the new stuff either.
12.08.2010 - 16:42
Raiden
Down Under Staff
elite
I think I can probably only afford one or the other so I'll try for Soundwave. Surely they'd still play a reasonable amount of older songs and not just their new album in its entirety. Being headliners they'd have a reasonable set length too I would imagine.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

16.08.2010 - 03:32
Eternal Flames
I think a large portion of their set will be new material (at least from Brave New World onwards). I doubt they'd only play the new album.

And you make a good point, they probably will play a fairly long set being the headliners. I'd just assume they'll play a bit longer for the sideshow. Hopefully they mix the setlist up a little between Soundwave and the sideshow though.
16.08.2010 - 09:47
Raiden
Down Under Staff
elite
Yeah sometimes it would be good to know setlists before you go to a gig. I suppose fewer people would go if they knew a band wasn't going to be playing their favourite songs.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

16.08.2010 - 16:48
Raiden
Down Under Staff
elite
I just read that Iron Maiden will apparently be playing a two hour set at Soundwave.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

18.08.2010 - 16:03
Eternal Flames
Oh my... I really hope that's true. That would just be utterly brilliant! Would've helped knowing earlier that they'd do a longer set at Soundwave than their sideshow though Oh well, still worth seeing them over and over again as far as I'm concerned haha.
19.08.2010 - 10:49
Raiden
Down Under Staff
elite
Haha yeah, I'm sure they would be good each time. I don't know how official the info I saw was, but it's probably true.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

20.08.2010 - 03:55
whatsacow
I heard a rumour that with Tony Abbotts high christian values, he would stop highly antichristian and violent bands. Has anybody else heard that? Because that kind of scares me.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
20.08.2010 - 07:49
Raiden
Down Under Staff
elite
I haven't heard that, but that kind of shit wouldn't surprise me. I guess we'll find out tomorrow whether or not he'll be able to do something like that in the future.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

20.08.2010 - 16:22
Archetype
Sounds like a bad joke or just another crappy rumour - well to me it does anyway. I'm pretty sure that there are things of higher importance than violent bands and such. I don't even see how something like that would be achievable. They won't stop people from surfing sites that are on the blacklist and they certainly can't stop people from congregating and making metal or anything else for that matter.
23.08.2010 - 06:43
whatsacow
Yeah, but its still scary. And tony abbott just plain scares me. But then again so does Gillard. I miss Rudd...
----
07.09.2010 - 07:29
Raiden
Down Under Staff
elite
Speaking of politics, apparently our new PM will be announced in half an hour or so.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

07.09.2010 - 15:25
Archetype
Well that's finally over. What are people's thoughts on Labor retaining leadership? Or should I say - does anybody really care?
10.09.2010 - 05:34
whatsacow
Written by Archetype on 07.09.2010 at 15:25

Well that's finally over. What are people's thoughts on Labor retaining leadership? Or should I say - does anybody really care?

I'm quite pleased. Abbot was a speedo wearing christian freak who wanted to stop unchristian and violent bands from coming to australia, and he wanted to ban violent video games. I don't particularly like Gillard ever, but at least she's not going to get in the way of my music and recreation.
----
14.09.2010 - 17:16
Judas
The Amputator
Everyone seen the KFC ads with the Black Metal dude?
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
17.09.2010 - 09:25
Eternal Flames
@Judas - The one with the firebreathing? If so, yeah saw that one a while ago. Clever.

Anyone see the second soundwave lineup announcement? Saxon and Dimmu Borgir added to the bill. Dimmu should be entertaining to see even though I'm not really a fan, and I didn't think Saxon would return to our shores any time soon so really keen on seeing them again!
19.09.2010 - 13:39
Archetype
Anybody attending the No Sleep Till festival?

Here's the lineup: http://www.nosleeptil.com.au/artists/

Personally, I'd go for Katatonia and Megadeth but that's about it.
23.09.2010 - 04:49
Eternal Flames
Only Katatonia and Megadeth interest me on that line up as well. However, I'll be heading over to Europe in December so won't be here for it anyway. Not that I'm fussed though because I wouldn't be able to justify spending $130 (or whatever the price was) for just 2 bands.
28.09.2010 - 09:32
Raiden
Down Under Staff
elite
That's just shit, the first time Katatonia comes over and they're playing a festival made up pretty much entirely of bands that I don't care about seeing
----
- Bruce Dickinson

29.09.2010 - 16:50
whatsacow
Wow. Yeah the rest of that lineup really sucks!
----
18.10.2010 - 00:48
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Written by Raiden on 28.09.2010 at 09:32

That's just shit, the first time Katatonia comes over and they're playing a festival made up pretty much entirely of bands that I don't care about seeing

Yeah it's really annoying how they are making these festivals with bands from two entirely different scenes. Why can't they just get on with announcing the next Screamfest. At least i like around half the bands and it's well worth the money. Sure there are a mix of genres, but they draw a similar crowd.
18.10.2010 - 08:23
Raiden
Down Under Staff
elite
Written by Dark Cornatus on 18.10.2010 at 00:48

Yeah it's really annoying how they are making these festivals with bands from two entirely different scenes. Why can't they just get on with announcing the next Screamfest. At least i like around half the bands and it's well worth the money. Sure there are a mix of genres, but they draw a similar crowd.

Yeah that's it. It would be like combining metal and pop music for a festival. You'd have too many people not bothering because there wouldn't be enough to suit their music tastes.

I really don't think there will be a Screamfest this year. It's nearly November and there hasn't even been a single thing mentioned about it. Unless they change it from being on NYE.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

20.10.2010 - 00:38
whatsacow
Are there any really great metal festivals in australia? Ones that are dedicated solely to metal?
----
20.10.2010 - 06:07
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Written by Raiden on 18.10.2010 at 08:23

Yeah that's it. It would be like combining metal and pop music for a festival. You'd have too many people not bothering because there wouldn't be enough to suit their music tastes.

I really don't think there will be a Screamfest this year. It's nearly November and there hasn't even been a single thing mentioned about it. Unless they change it from being on NYE.

Possible screamfest scenarios:
1. It is close to Soundwave, they may be aiming for a winter show. Still you would think they announce what the plan is.
2. It is not economically feasible.
3. They are doing it once every couple of years?
4. Not enough bands willing to join.

Any other ideas? I thought the first one successful, even the coordinator at the end sounded pleased by the result.
20.10.2010 - 06:08
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Written by whatsacow on 20.10.2010 at 00:38

Are there any really great metal festivals in australia? Ones that are dedicated solely to metal?

Screamfest (discussed above) .... and that is about it lol, first one was amazing!
21.10.2010 - 17:17
Raiden
Down Under Staff
elite
Written by Dark Cornatus on 20.10.2010 at 06:07

Written by Raiden on 18.10.2010 at 08:23

Possible screamfest scenarios:
1. It is close to Soundwave, they may be aiming for a winter show. Still you would think they announce what the plan is.
2. It is not economically feasible.
3. They are doing it once every couple of years?
4. Not enough bands willing to join.

Any other ideas? I thought the first one successful, even the coordinator at the end sounded pleased by the result.

Yeah well the promotors seemed to give the impression that the last one was successful and that they'd be continuing with it. Soundwave is pretty much at the same time each year and they would've been three months apart this time at least. Maybe they couldn't afford it or they couldn't find any good bands like you say.
----
- Bruce Dickinson