07. The Light I Shine On You
08. Temples Of Gold
09. Across The Highlands
10. Elizabeth Part I: Mirror Mirror
11. Elizabeth Part II: Requiem For The Innocent
12. Elizabeth Part III: Fall From Grace
13. Ne Pleure Pas (Don't You Cry) [French Version bonus]
14. Once And Future King [Japanese bonus]

I'll start off by saying that this has to be by far one of my favorite metal albums. It has a bit of everything for everyone in here. From amazing guitar riffs, glorious double bass drumming, breathtaking vocals, and appropriate keyboard usage.

I will begin with the cover. As most Kamelot albums, the cover is flashy and cool, even if we have no idea as to what it means. It's still one of those covers that makes you stop in a record store and look at it and want it more than Michael Jackson desires little boys. (In case you don't get the joke?the cover is very nice and pretty).

Next let's look at the different tracks. Track one (Regalis Apertura) is a nice orchestral intro that really makes you feel that you are being whisked away to another place.

It helps build anticipation for the first real song, "Forever", which is a superb power metal rockfest. The songs starts with a punch in the face thanks to a hard start with guitar. It then continues with some killer guitar melodies that just make you want to dance around the house kicking easy to break electronic devices.

Next we run into "Wings of Despair". This song, like "Forever" tries to kick your teeth in right off the bat with high quality 6-string action. Roy Kahn's vocals are more than you should legally be allowed to ask for, and he displays great range, and sweet melodies. If only I could sing like that.

This is followed by a different song, "Spell". It really does give the impression that you are cast in a robotic spell, and still manages to sound very good. Not the best song on the album but still an above average affair. Its something different than the normal fast power experience.

Then, we are in for a treat; one of the best power ballads I have ever heard?ever. Kamelot goes acoustic on us with beautiful guitar work in "Don't you Cry". Roy Kahn's vocals just make me want to cry at times in this song. This guy is good, and this song is a masterpiece, especially with the violin and cello in the background.

We are then wisked right into the title track "Karma", and allowed to dry up all those tears we shed during "Don't you Cry". This is probably the best power song on this album. The riffs are catchy, the drumming is powerful, and one again the vocals are top notch. This is definitely top quality material.

"The Light I Shine on You" follows, and slows the action down a bit, but still keeps the heavy power edge. This is a great song to sing along to, and Roy Kahn displays very nice range.

"Temple of Gold" slows things down further, to the speed of a nice hard rock song. It's a nice song, but not a highlight.

"Across the Highlands" features the best chorus on the album in my opinion, and fast melodic action throughout, all while keeping Kamelot's spiffy prog edge.
"Mirror Mirror" is another power ballad. It's worth listening to, as it is a nice display of vocals, and the guitar provides a nice accompaniment, but it's not a song to top the charts.

"Requiem for the Innocent" is another good, but not AMAZING song. It's probably the second hardest of the album, and it makes you want to smash your head against a wall, but in a good way.

"Fall From Grace" ends the normal songs of the album on a heavy note, just like the previous track. This song features more speed and more guitar work. It's the hardest I've heard from them, and they end the album on a solid note.

There is one bonus track, "Ne Pleure Pas". This is "Don't cry" just all in French. It is really very beautiful, and Roy Kahn sings very nice French?a very worthy bonus.

Overall I give this album a 9.5. It would be a 10 if only one or two songs were cut out. Not because they are bad, but "Temple of Gold", and "Requiem for the Innocent" just don't seem to add anything to the album. They're very good songs, but they don't help an album filled with AMAZING songs. You must buy this album if you are a power metal fan, or even just a metal fan. It should be on everyone's wishlist.

Written by DreamArctica | 24.07.2004

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 175 users
29.12.2007 - 20:40
Rating: 9
juanopereira

Totally agree. Fucking amazing album.
30.12.2007 - 02:55
Arçaliz
Account deleted
Great work !!!, One of the best of Kamelot.
10.04.2008 - 04:50
Aitor
Account deleted
I mostly agree. This is an album that everybody should at least try. Actually, this is the album that made me a HUGE fan.
25.05.2009 - 21:04
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Kind an Song by Song review. But it is ok. I just disagree with the rate, this is a good album, probably the best from Kamelot, but not even close to a masterpiece IMO. Of course, most of the songs are really good, but I hated ''The Spell'' and 'Forever', don't know why... An 8,5 should fit well to this work.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
04.09.2009 - 01:58
Rating: 10
BlankFile

This album is very good, not as good as The Black Halo, but still an amazing release by Kamelot. |m|
27.07.2010 - 03:21
Rating: 8
Morphis

Very nice album.
11.02.2011 - 14:42
Destructo

To THIS day, I can't decide whether Karma is better than Epica or vice versa. Oh well....all I care about is that they are both masterpieces. So that's good enough for me.
28.11.2011 - 01:03
Mountain King
K i K o
Great album but i prefer the Fourth Legacy although Karma has 2 of my favorite Kamelot songs "Forever" & "Karma"...
04.11.2012 - 16:07
Epictemptation

Karma is just a masterpiece lets put it that way
----
04.06.2015 - 06:00
Rating: 8
slinx

Took awhile to grow on me, but I love it more than The Black Halo or Epica.
----
'You're short, you're fat, and even for a film critic you are ugly.' - The Critic
23.10.2015 - 23:57
muhammed sonata

My favorite album by them,the songs sticks in the head forever which makes it more memorable
23.10.2015 - 23:58
muhammed sonata

Written by muhammed sonata on 23.10.2015 at 23:57

My favorite album by them,the songs sticks in the head forever which make it more memorable
13.05.2017 - 20:25
Swifthom

Only went back to hear this after Roy departed with the release of Silverthorne. Loved every second of it. It felt like a warm up for the big event that was to follow, not quite as polished but with twice the energy and enthusiasm.

Hits total: 10325 | This month: 12