Metal Storm logo
Månegarm

09.06.2006 - 00:50
Draklar
Account deleted
I could say I'm surprised that such an excelent band still doesn't have its own thread, but it's not really all that surprising. I don't think there's any doubt in fact that Manegarm is one of the most underrated bands in the whole folk and viking metal scene.
For those who don't know them, Manegarm were formed in 1995, initially as a Black Metal band, with goal to play as fast and primitive metal as possible. Yet, starting with their third album (Dödsfärd), they switched into a more melodic form, taking the shape of a folk-influenced Viking Metal band. As far as similarities go, I think today they would be best described as something in-between Thyrfing and Ensiferum.

As I already insinuated, the music they play is excellent. Their songs are really varied and usually pretty heavy, while the atmosphere they build up, dark and epic. The vocals range from clear singing (here both male and female) to harsher forms and finally death growls.
Some songs can be downloaded from their website: http://www.manegarm.com/ (including a track from their latest album, which comes out at the end of this month).

Asides getting people to know about this band, I would also like to know what other Metalstormers think about them
09.06.2006 - 01:13
Stigmatized
I only have one album, that being Dödsfärd. It's unique for viking metal and I play it from time to time. They way they play doesn't appeal to me that much though.
13.08.2006 - 21:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know them I had listen them and I know thay had lyrics in swedish and I dunno If I like this abnd or dont like, it depends of how I feel, and there are much more wiking metal bands who kicks ass more how thay,
Only Slbum what I had hear are this ''Vredens Tid'' and instrumental songs was great, I like instrumentals
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.08.2006 - 21:15
Lioncourt
I only have Nordstjärnans Tidsålder but I have listened to their new stuff a bit and I think that they have pretty much kept the same style. O.K. I imagine that they are a bit more melodic now but they do have their significant style.
----

Think twice before you buy furr! http://www.strasbourgcurieux.com/fourrure/
15.08.2006 - 00:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Should post here.

I love this band. I was supposed to see them, but they cancelled. Sucked!

But yeah, I love them.

Why don't you post there website in your first post, to promote them in someway?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.08.2006 - 12:39
Draklar
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 15.08.2006 at 00:30

Why don't you post there website in your first post, to promote them in someway?
But I did
Anyway, did you listen to The Forest Sessions? I think it was a great idea to release an acoustic EP. Didn't hear such a quality music within traditional category for a longer while.
26.08.2006 - 11:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 25.08.2006 at 12:39

Written by Lucas on 15.08.2006 at 00:30

But I did
Anyway, did you listen to The Forest Sessions? I think it was a great idea to release an acoustic EP. Didn't hear such a quality music within traditional category for a longer while.

Oh shit. >.<

Anyway, not yet. I'll download it now, then I'll see.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.08.2006 - 16:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I have downloaded it, and must have listened to it for about 3 hours or something like that.

I have very mixed feelings about it. Some songs, or part of songs are incredible, while some parts are juse incredibly boring. I always have the feeling that the song 'Alvatrans' is quite 'stolen' from their album 'Havets Vargar'. You know, the song 'Fädernes Jord'. This might be me, but I clearly hear some similarities.
----

27.08.2006 - 21:07
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Nervel recommended me this band and they're pretty sweet! But I still need to listen to them more to really get into them properly. I let you guys now afterwards

@ Draklar : (from what I heard so far) I can agree with your comparison of "something between Thyrfing and Ensiferum", but I actually prefer Thryfing over Manegarm
----
Your favorite band sucks.
28.08.2006 - 17:46
hottercraft
I think Manegarm is a great Viking Metal band, it sounds like the most popular groups of Viking Metal (Moonsorrow, Ensiferum...). I think their best album is Dodsfard...
16.10.2006 - 17:26
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Månegarm are really fuckin great, and I love the new acoustic album, but there are a lot of great bands in the viking metal genre coming out, I hope they'll be able to stay afloat.
16.10.2006 - 18:47
Skald
Account deleted
At the moment Manegarm are recording a new album. Seems they are going rather fast with it either. So I suppose we might hear some new songs from them pretty soon.
16.10.2006 - 20:08
TheDamned
Account deleted
The acoustic EP was really good , Vredens Tid was cool but did'nt got as much play as Dodsfard . Can't wait for the new album ! (oh and their cover art are fantastic ! I really love the Dodsfard one)
22.10.2006 - 16:40
Stigmatized
Well, I recently acquired Vargaresa - The Beginning and Vredens Tid. I haven't had a chance to hear Vargaresa yet, but Vredens Tid is excellent. Plus, Dödsfärd has really grown on me. I'm really starting to like this band.
22.10.2006 - 16:52
Skald
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.10.2006 at 20:08

(oh and their cover art are fantastic ! I really love the Dodsfard one)
Heh, actually Kris Verwimp is my favorite artist :p
I love the covers he made for Manegarm and Thyrfing (along with many other metal bands).
23.10.2006 - 00:29
TheDamned
Account deleted
I actually rasterbated the cover of Vredens Tid and put it on my wall . It's dark now but i'll try to take a good picture tomorrow
30.10.2006 - 01:02
Both Bears
fantastic covers yeah .. music pretty good but, there are better ones ..

have you listened to the new EP? the wholly instrumental one .. its so emotional, so great .. can't put it into words :-)
30.10.2006 - 09:02
Skald
Account deleted
Instrumental EP? I haven't heard of them making anything like that. What's the EP called?
30.10.2006 - 10:30
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I have only heard The Forest Sessions EP, fucking amazing folk music, not even Metal, but brilliant. I await to hear their Viking Metal stuff. What are the best albums?
30.10.2006 - 10:57
Skald
Account deleted
My favorite album would be Vredens Tid, especially with such an amazing song as Hemfärd (downloadable from their website by the way). Dödsfärd is another one I love, although it's way too short.
30.10.2006 - 15:16
Both Bears
i meant the Forest Sessions .. i couldnt remember the name D

i like it much more that the older stuff

Dark COrnatus: try Dodsfard .. songs like Ravenous or Daudr are just WOOHOO
30.10.2006 - 15:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
And everybody get his hands on Havets Vargar, my favorite Manegarm up to date.
----

30.10.2006 - 18:30
Skald
Account deleted
Written by Both Bears on 30.10.2006 at 15:16

i meant the Forest Sessions .. i couldnt remember the name D
Heh, then I suppose you meant 'folk', not 'intrumental'

Anyway, for people who enjoyed Forest Sessions:
Check out band Tva Fisk Och En Fläsk. They're playing very similar music and Manegarm's violinist also plays there.
01.11.2006 - 00:32
Both Bears
i downloaded all the free stuff on their webpage :-)) and yeah it's worth listening to!

another band playing swedish folk with female vocals is Lumsk .. I dont like them that much though..
02.11.2006 - 19:17
Stigmatized
Written by Guest on 30.10.2006 at 10:57

My favorite album would be Vredens Tid, especially with such an amazing song as Hemfärd (downloadable from their website by the way). Dödsfärd is another one I love, although it's way too short.

Vredens Tid is one of my favorite albums at the moment. I prefer it to Dödsfärd as well.
03.12.2006 - 16:27
Stigmatized
I obsessed with the song "Segervisa" at the moment. Can't get enough of it.
04.02.2007 - 17:12
Enur
Account deleted
Månegarm fucking rules..........

"i havets vargar" is surely the best track
04.02.2007 - 18:37
MetalSpider
I have Vredens Tid and I love it. Such a great album and band in general!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
08.02.2007 - 14:25
baldur
oh i love the music of manegarm especially the song ooden (urminnes hävd) i actually dont understand what they re saying but i like the sound of that lanuage!
08.02.2007 - 15:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
I have Nordstjärnans tidsålder and it is truly brilliant! I love their dark folk metal style and it is very fun to actually hear what they sing, without looking up the lyrics.
----