Metal Storm logo
Geographic illiteracy

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 31.12.2007 - 19:31
This maybe old, but it's still shocking to know, to say the least. I recently found a National Geographic Survey which showed how much certain countries, including America, knew about the world. What I found out makes me ashamed to be a citizen of this country.

Here are some quick stats I find in the study:
*Six in ten (63%) cannot find Iraq on a map of the Middle East, despite near-constant news coverage since the U.S. invasion of March 2003.
*Although 73% know the U.S. is the world’'s largest consumer of oil, nearly as many (71%) do not know the U.S. is the world'’s largest exporter of goods and services -– half think it'’s China.
*Half or fewer of young men and women 18-24 can identify the states of New York or Ohio on a map (50% and 43%, respectively).

How does everyone on Metal Storm feel about this?
04.01.2008 - 17:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by EddieGunner on 04.01.2008 at 15:24

one thing from here, when someone here say he don't know wich is capitol of USA or whr's new york city or something like that ppl laugh to him, but when u ask american to say few euro countrys he dunno more then three, mostly UK,. France Germany and thats it ..... i don't even mention capitols he hee

dunno but i thing ordinary americans r "stupid" when it comes to geography

and not only americans,,, once some dude from india asked me whr im from i sadi Bosnia he said oh cool how is it now in Africa :S blah

Because thay thin Europe are country man I doubt thay will rocognise USA flag
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.01.2008 - 20:42
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Stalker on 04.01.2008 at 00:49

Written by Bad English on 03.01.2008 at 23:19

Written by Stalker on 31.12.2007 at 23:39

Yes, unfortunately I am aware of this, and this reminds me of that link K7 posted where woman from US in some quiz didnt know that Budapest was capital of Hungary, and what is worse, she even thought Europe is a state!! Thats criminal... Im not a geography expert, but some things are basic knowledge, you can even say basic culture.
Ive noticed that lack of basic knowledge of some people from USA, not just in geography, and I really cant say why is that so, but it is rather awkward I think.

Hahhahahahahahaha Im hungry I wanna ea, Im hungry a Hungry a country OMG I know Turky

Sorry man if CZ play whit Vojvodina, Delije know thay will go Novi Sad(I can show it in map too ) if thay play againts Bolton, thay know its be in Enland , if thay play againts GKS Katowize, tahy will travel to Poland, and if thay play againts AIK Solna, tahy will destroying Stockholm, its simple thinks, follow football you know all

Nice man, hahahah. So tahts the deal, Americans should pay more attention on football hahha (and not American football)

Indeed!! David Beckham [as getting moved to LA Galaxie] said that that was something he was gonna try do, give soccer more attention to the U.S.

But anyway, back on topic, many times I have caught Bahamians mistaking Africa as a country rather than continent
04.01.2008 - 20:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
South Africa are country but well ppl usualy dont care about Geo, in one video american woman say countryw who starts whit U - Utopia only idiot can say so
----

apos;'
[image]
04.01.2008 - 20:50
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Guest on 04.01.2008 at 20:42

But anyway, back on topic, many times I have caught Bahamians mistaking Africa as a country rather than continent

Damn. Well, if nothing, we dont have many people thinking Earth is a square theses days hahah
----
04.01.2008 - 20:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Stalker on 04.01.2008 at 20:50

Damn. Well, if nothing, we dont have many people thinking Earth is a square theses days hahah

Heheheh aftre 1000 you say Im from Serbia, americans ask in what galactic is that, is it start or planet
----

apos;'
[image]
04.01.2008 - 21:02
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Bad English on 04.01.2008 at 20:57

Written by Stalker on 04.01.2008 at 20:50

Heheheh aftre 1000 you say Im from Serbia, americans ask in what galactic is that, is it start or planet

Man, after 1000 years there will be no Serbia...
----
04.01.2008 - 21:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Written by Stalker on 04.01.2008 at 00:49

Written by Bad English on 03.01.2008 at 23:19

Written by Stalker on 31.12.2007 at 23:39

Yes, unfortunately I am aware of this, and this reminds me of that link K7 posted where woman from US in some quiz didnt know that Budapest was capital of Hungary, and what is worse, she even thought Europe is a state!! Thats criminal... Im not a geography expert, but some things are basic knowledge, you can even say basic culture.
Ive noticed that lack of basic knowledge of some people from USA, not just in geography, and I really cant say why is that so, but it is rather awkward I think.

Hahhahahahahahaha Im hungry I wanna ea, Im hungry a Hungry a country OMG I know Turky

Sorry man if CZ play whit Vojvodina, Delije know thay will go Novi Sad(I can show it in map too ) if thay play againts Bolton, thay know its be in Enland , if thay play againts GKS Katowize, tahy will travel to Poland, and if thay play againts AIK Solna, tahy will destroying Stockholm, its simple thinks, follow football you know all

Nice man, hahahah. So tahts the deal, Americans should pay more attention on football hahha (and not American football)

Indeed!! David Beckham [as getting moved to LA Galaxie] said that that was something he was gonna try do, give soccer more attention to the U.S.

Off-topic... and you actually believe that? Hahahaha, the only reason he moved was the money, I am 100% sure of that. Exactly the same reason Gullit moved there a little later.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.01.2008 - 21:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.01.2008 at 21:15

Off-topic... and you actually believe that? Hahahaha, the only reason he moved was the money, I am 100% sure of that. Exactly the same reason Gullit moved there a little later.

In Gullit case was money but Beckhem cas eit was his wife who ruin his carear, ha are good player, IMO England can be in EC if he play all game not secend half, those pass what he give its awsoem, greata nd he still can play well

NY Cosmos cheef sad to Pele if you play in Italy you be best guy in team, but here in NY you be ebst guy in city
----

apos;'
[image]
05.01.2008 - 01:03
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Marcel H. : I realise it was off-topic which is why after that paragraph, I said "But anyway back on topic...." . Not saying I believe it either.
05.01.2008 - 05:31
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
@Cursed
should we laugh or cry, he hee sad but true

@K7
Utopia ain't 55th american state, dam how stupid i em

----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
30.01.2008 - 10:34
Pole Kitten
Account deleted
i didn't know where ANY of the African countries were or ANY of the South Amercian countries were until i started playing that quiz on facebook! I knew roughly where many (but not all) European countries were, the Middle East baffled me too pretty much getting Iran and Iraq the wrong way around. I thought my geography wasn't too bad but it's pretty awful really!

The thing is, they no longer teach geography in the conventional sense at school. We know where England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland are and France because it's so close but that's about it! They concentrate on human and natural geography more now, you know rain cycles, urban development...
30.01.2008 - 10:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.01.2008 at 10:34

i didn't know where ANY of the African countries were or ANY of the South Amercian countries were until i started playing that quiz on facebook! I knew roughly where many (but not all) European countries were, the Middle East baffled me too pretty much getting Iran and Iraq the wrong way around. I thought my geography wasn't too bad but it's pretty awful really!

The thing is, they no longer teach geography in the conventional sense at school. We know where England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland are and France because it's so close but that's about it! They concentrate on human and natural geography more now, you know rain cycles, urban development...

SA are easy werry easy Arhentina, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Urugiay, Paraguay those are easyer remeber if you gad memory, I mean you see in your had map, but Africa, I know SA, and Nord African counbtries, asia are easy to but not always , but I know prity well Man Utd fans know where are Roma and Lille
----

apos;'
[image]
30.01.2008 - 11:02
Pole Kitten
Account deleted
haha poor Man United fans *shakes head*. Come on Celtic! hahaha
30.01.2008 - 11:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.01.2008 at 11:02

haha poor Man United fans *shakes head*. Come on Celtic! hahaha

Hahha thay was beaten in Roma and Rangers will know what is gay13 boys
----

apos;'
[image]
30.01.2008 - 13:41
Judas
The Amputator
I used to be a real geography buff, I can still name the capitals and principal cities of most countries that existed before 1997, when I did a school project. These days, my knowledge of this sort of thing is a lot more selective. I don't really read much about Equatorial Africa, so I'm a bit rusty there, also with a few of the South American and ex-Yugoslavian nations (they're not really in the news here much anymore). I know of a lot of places in Europe and USA thanks to sports teams (football, ice hockey, basketball, etc), but I totally understand when people aren't taught political geography in school. We didn't really have it here, I just had an interest in it at a young age.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
30.01.2008 - 13:50
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i have one friend who is going to make high school leaving exams from Geography this year and claimed me Cambodia is in Africa...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.01.2008 - 13:57
Pole Kitten
Account deleted
it's not??? *goes to wiki*
30.01.2008 - 13:58
Pole Kitten
Account deleted
blimey, it's over near Thailand! well i never.
31.01.2008 - 02:04
Judas
The Amputator
@Chris Amber, Pole Kitten: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Mind you, I know a guy who still thinks that New Zealand is a state of Australia, and he's an Australian himself, so perhaps your mistake isn't all that bad.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
31.01.2008 - 03:05
Ascalon
When I traveled to France once, talking to some people I knew how ignorant someone can be, one guy said that Chile was near of Brazil (we only have borders with Peru, Bolivia and Argentina), then the other one claimed him, saying that we was an island of Spain ... xD ... lol
Maybe Chile it's a long and thin cuntry in the south of the world ... but no one can be so wrong ...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
31.01.2008 - 12:53
b0000mst1ck
Written by Ascalon on 31.01.2008 at 03:05

When I traveled to France once, talking to some people I knew how ignorant someone can be, one guy said that Chile was near of Brazil (we only have borders with Peru, Bolivia and Argentina), then the other one claimed him, saying that we was an island of Spain ... xD ... lol
Maybe Chile it's a long and thin cuntry in the south of the world ... but no one can be so wrong ...

you're wrong! chili is a type of soup, not a country!

...oh, you said chile. my fault.
31.01.2008 - 15:24
Pole Kitten
Account deleted
Written by Judas on 31.01.2008 at 02:04

@Chris Amber, Pole Kitten: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Mind you, I know a guy who still thinks that New Zealand is a state of Australia, and he's an Australian himself, so perhaps your mistake isn't all that bad.

I thought New Zealand was to the left and slightly above Australia until my ex (who comes from there) showed me otherwise! haha
31.01.2008 - 15:46
Baz Anderson
Staff
countries and flags as well is something that I have always been interested in.. when I was little my brother had a huge poster of the world and it's countries and flags and I used to spend ages looking at that.
so I am quite good with countries and VERY good with flags - but of course there are always areas where I don't know much.

Ivan showed me this game quite a while back - it is always good to have a go on..

you should all have a go!!

http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/worldmap/worldmap.html

(press "start" in the bottom left to get going)
31.01.2008 - 15:51
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Damn, where is this world going too...
----
31.01.2008 - 23:05
Abattoir
Staff
Written by Baz Anderson on 31.01.2008 at 15:46

Ivan showed me this game quite a while back - it is always good to have a go on..

Fine game ...Although at first it didn't go so good, but than I warm-up...and everything goes smoothly ...almost everything
01.02.2008 - 00:39
Pole Kitten
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 31.01.2008 at 15:46

countries and flags as well is something that I have always been interested in.. when I was little my brother had a huge poster of the world and it's countries and flags and I used to spend ages looking at that.
so I am quite good with countries and VERY good with flags - but of course there are always areas where I don't know much.

that's going to keep me amused for hours! you'll not see me out for a while and if i disappear upstairs saturday it's for no reason other than the fact that i probably messed up on the previous game and want to finish it off! haha

we should see how everyone does at it but it's harder than the Facebook one so 'ill be pathetic!
23.03.2008 - 20:02
belisarius
i played it 2 times:first score:87
second score:94
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind