Metal Storm logo
New genre or subgenre of black metal?

Original post

Posted by Toolshed, 02.01.2008 - 07:29
Well,I noticed that two bands,Anaal Nathrakh (at least first two albums) and The Axis Of Perdition (hell,where is that band on bandlist? ) are not like other BM bands...they are often described as black metal,but that's just not it. Both of these bands combine black metal with lot of extreme industrial and even grindcore. Totally different than usual BM bands. If you listened it,you'll know Anyway,I want your opinion about it. And yes,it would be interesting what name should be given to that imaginary new genre

One more thing Not to forget that both band's members look kinda like geeks (no offense to them,it's cool)

http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1314
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=7836
05.01.2008 - 00:12
Stigmatized
Written by Bad English on 02.01.2008 at 09:34

Isnt it same http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=8992

How....the....fuck....?
31.01.2008 - 01:06
DreamWeaver
elite
Well, about those bands, I can't help you (because of the grind addition). But I've heard a weird and new genre called Post-Black. Apparently it's the same as Industrial Black Metal. If anyone know more about it, please share your knowledge.
----
31.01.2008 - 02:12
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by DreamWeaver on 31.01.2008 at 01:06

But I've heard a weird and new genre called Post-Black. Apparently it's the same as Industrial Black Metal. If anyone know more about it, please share your knowledge.

I wouldn't say that post-black neccesarily refers to the same kind of music as industrial black, though there are bands that would fit under both descriptions. The term "post-black" seems to be used often when referring to bands with black metal roots who have transcended their black metal origins, and have become more experimental, sometimes also more industrial.
Some bands that I've seen described as post-black would be Fleurety, Ved Buens Ende, newer Mayhem, newer Blut Aus Nord, newer Enslaved, In The Woods..., newer Arcturus, Dödheimsgard (DHG), Sigh, Thorns, newer Satyricon, newer Deathspell Omega, Ansur, Anaal Nathrakh, The Axis of Perdition, Spektr, Alcest etc. Anyway, as you can see it's a broad label and has been glued to some very different bands, of which most are arguable.
Also many people seem to find this label stupid . I take it as a label for black metal related bands whose style isn't very easy to pin down and who are too different from the traditional black metal, though I'm somewhat reluctant to use this label to describe the music of most of the bands I mentioned to have seen described as such.
Anyway, that's how I understand it, hope this makes things little bit clearer to you...
22.02.2008 - 16:29
NOะ˜
actually, there are more subgenres of Black Metal.

I am a big fan of Industrial Black Metal and I love bands like Diapsiquir and BlackLodge etc. I believe this is the future of this music! if you are an openmind person and like more Electronics in your Metal you should check out this genre.

as for Post Black Metal, it is not the same with Industrial Black Metal in my opinion! check some bands like Alcest or Solefald to see the difference. Industrial Black Metal is more futuristic and has more Electronic stuff than Post Black Metal, who has a more progressive and clear sound than the average Black Metal crap.
07.08.2008 - 18:59
belisarius
Written by NOะ˜ on 22.02.2008 at 16:29

actually, there are more subgenres of Black Metal.

I am a big fan of Industrial Black Metal and I love bands like Diapsiquir and BlackLodge etc. I believe this is the future of this music! if you are an openmind person and like more Electronics in your Metal you should check out this genre.

as for Post Black Metal, it is not the same with Industrial Black Metal in my opinion! check some bands like Alcest or Solefald to see the difference. Industrial Black Metal is more futuristic and has more Electronic stuff than Post Black Metal, who has a more progressive and clear sound than the average Black Metal crap.

i believe bm shouldn't only evolve in an electronic way, there are much opportunities to bring folk metal in the bm-scene. something like bm with some chinese or indian instruments for exemple. That would be inovating i think
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
07.08.2008 - 23:42
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by belisarius on 07.08.2008 at 18:59

i believe bm shouldn't only evolve in an electronic way, there are much opportunities to bring folk metal in the bm-scene. something like bm with some chinese or indian instruments for exemple. That would be inovating i think

are you actually aware of what you're writing, or you went numb and your fingers uncontrollably ramble through the board? think for a minute. you want to hear the fusion of this and this?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
07.08.2008 - 23:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Damnated on 07.08.2008 at 23:42

are you actually aware of what you're writing, or you went numb and your fingers uncontrollably ramble through the board? think for a minute. you want to hear the fusion of this and this?

Hahahhahaha, that would be soooo funny. But annoying as hell as well
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.08.2008 - 17:11
Sunioj
Folk involved with black metal is nothing new. Repeat, NOTHING NEW. And to go a step further and fuse it with oriental instruments sounds fucking revolting.

I honestly can't connect with black metal that has strong folk overtones, unless the rawness/extremity of the music can easily be used to shut out the folk part. Sort of like Nokturnal Mortum's Nechrist. I guess that's why I'm more prone to dsbm, orthodox, and raw bm.
08.08.2008 - 17:20
TheBigRossowski
Written by Sunioj on 08.08.2008 at 17:11

Folk involved with black metal is nothing new. Repeat, NOTHING NEW. And to go a step further and fuse it with oriental instruments sounds fucking revolting.

I honestly can't connect with black metal that has strong folk overtones, unless the rawness/extremity of the music can easily be used to shut out the folk part. Sort of like Nokturnal Mortum's Nechrist. I guess that's why I'm more prone to dsbm, orthodox, and raw bm.

Thank you! This is definitely enough...folkish black metal was enough. I simply just can't stand it. Then to add oriental or something else....wow.

Genres are only a guide for describing your tastes, there's no need to go SO deep into it: 'Oh yeah, I like Progressive Industrial Folkish Blackened Death metal'. Haha...that would be absurd. People don't just ask, do you like books or movies? They ask what kind to know your TASTE, romance, comedy, action, horror, etc!

There is no point creating a 'new genre' because one band plays black metal and adds Police Sirens and then calls it 'Anti-Cop Black metal' or some shit (for example).
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
08.08.2008 - 17:26
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by TheBigRossowski on 08.08.2008 at 17:20

There is no point creating a 'new genre' because one band plays black metal and adds Police Sirens and then calls it 'Anti-Cop Black metal' or some shit (for example).

i was in tears from laughing.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
08.08.2008 - 17:27
Bitter Peace
geez, you guys talk like it's mixing black metal and hiphop or something! I could totally imagine a black metal band bringing oriental influences into their music. It would be awesome too.
08.08.2008 - 17:33
TheBigRossowski
@Damnated, yeah, its awesome, but its the truth. The sad part is...someone will do that now.

And for Bitter Peace, its just that...making a NEW GENRE for it isn't too important. When you're talking to someone in person I don't think you'd use the terminology to often..

You would just say, Secrets of the Moon plays black metal, but its about the occult and so forth. Anyone call Nile Egyptian Death Metal? Someone does....
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
08.08.2008 - 17:35
Bitter Peace
Yeah I know what you mean. But I only call Nile an Egyptian Death Metal band when I'm trying to describe them to somebody who doesn't listen to them. Like "imagine an undead Egyptian army marching to war, with death metal as the theme music, that is Nile: an Egyptian style of death metal".

I often use various adjectives, like so, to describe a band, rather than make up sub-sub-sub-genres and such. Haha some people really hate that
08.08.2008 - 17:43
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by TheBigRossowski on 08.08.2008 at 17:33

@Damnated, yeah, its awesome, but its the truth. The sad part is...someone will do that now.

i'm actually considering mixing sirens with acoustic black metal, haha.

but you are right, everything these days has to be mixed with black metal.. i mean srsly wtf? why is it good to mix everything into one genre? i simply don't get it.
99% of these avantgarde black metal bands are crap because of this. they can't move the genre forward in it's plane (like the orthodox bands did and do), so they add alien elements. there are bands that fuse jazz with black metal ffs.
----

08.08.2008 - 22:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Mmm anyone can mix what ever as far as it sounds good.
BM is not the exception from my point of view, but this can be a blasphemy for some tr00 kitties.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.08.2008 - 06:51
Bitter Peace
Written by Damnated on 08.08.2008 at 17:33

there are bands that fuse jazz with black metal ffs.

Dude I'm up for any style of metal that fuses itself with jazz. You simply cannot beat that, and that includes black metal. Ephuel Duath's "Painter's Palette" seriously blends black metal and jazz fusion perfectly, although it's not that black unfortunately..
10.08.2008 - 21:28
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bitter Peace on 10.08.2008 at 06:51

Dude I'm up for any style of metal that fuses itself with jazz. You simply cannot beat that, and that includes black metal. Ephuel Duath's "Painter's Palette" seriously blends black metal and jazz fusion perfectly, although it's not that black unfortunately..

Ephel Duath were never black metal. what they've done in the past is post-black metal or more preferably progressive extreme metal, since it isn't that rooted strictly in black metal.
----

11.08.2008 - 15:23
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.08.2008 at 23:45

Rudra have done a similar thing with Indian classical stuff and Death/Thrash Metal, it's kinda cool.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
11.08.2008 - 15:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Judas on 11.08.2008 at 15:23

Rudra have done a similar thing with Indian classical stuff and Death/Thrash Metal, it's kinda cool.

Well there are some INdian influences in there but not as downright as the youtube link damnated posted, that just wouldn't work, same for truly Chinese music btw, since the scales used are totally different to what is used in Western music and most Westeren ears will perceive it as off-key
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.08.2008 - 15:39
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.08.2008 at 15:25

Written by Judas on 11.08.2008 at 15:23

Well there are some INdian influences in there but not as downright as the youtube link damnated posted, that just wouldn't work, same for truly Chinese music btw, since the scales used are totally different to what is used in Western music and most Westeren ears will perceive it as off-key

Hmm, Rudra's first album is pretty outrageously Indian at times. I should know!

As for scales and stuff, that wouldn't have so much of an impact when fusing things with Black Metal as with properly melodic stuff, since Black Metal is somewhat more malleable than, say, Power Metal. If someone tried to do ethnic Power Metal it'd just sound like the ethnic music with guitars and double-bass drumming!
Written by Bitter Peace on 10.08.2008 at 06:51

Funnily enough, my philosophy lecturer talked a lot about this sort of thing in class last semester, although he used The Dillinger Escape Plan as his example of a hardcore band taking elements of free jazz and incorporating them in their own style. I think such a thing would be possible, but only with the more technical BM bands.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
21.02.2010 - 03:21
Morka Graven
I prefer my Black Metal to be classical influenced, NOT jazz.
----
We can't keep on fighting in a world where nothing is of importance.
28.01.2013 - 06:49
squidrick420
Written by Bitter Peace on 08.08.2008 at 17:27

geez, you guys talk like it's mixing black metal and hiphop or something! I could totally imagine a black metal band bringing oriental influences into their music. It would be awesome too.

listen to sigh, they are japanese black metal that has a lot of oriental influence. Every album is a little different, but the older you go the closer to traditional black metal you get (they were originally signed to Euronymous's Deathlike Silence Productions for the first album).
22.03.2013 - 06:10
nasmith
Well, this is off topic, but I've heard some people on here call blackened death metal "Plague metal." We've gotta start a nomenclature revolution!
22.03.2013 - 07:42
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by nasmith on 22.03.2013 at 06:10

Well, this is off topic, but I've heard some people on here call blackened death metal "Plague metal." We've gotta start a nomenclature revolution!

Yea, that was just a little joke between me and Marcel. Don't expect that to catch on since it was just a bit of word play (The Black Death/The Plague).
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

22.03.2013 - 12:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

Like Psyko said that was a joke
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.03.2013 - 13:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Still though, Plague Metal has a good ring to it.
22.03.2013 - 13:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 22.03.2013 at 13:00

Still though, Plague Metal has a good ring to it.

yeah I thought so as well

And somehow you also know what to expect music wise.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.03.2013 - 15:08
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I think many subgenre names must have been meant as joke for the first time...but they started to spread anyway
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.03.2013 - 22:02
nasmith
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.03.2013 at 12:52

Like Psyko said that was a joke

Written by psykometal on 22.03.2013 at 07:42

Yea, that was just a little joke between me and Marcel. Don't expect that to catch on since it was just a bit of word play (The Black Death/The Plague).

Shhhh. It's still a better style name than most of the ones on that thread because it shortens the name instead of making it longer. XD And I mean, it certainly got attention on the thread besides from you two.
22.03.2013 - 22:42
Edmund Fogg
Written by Ellrohir on 22.03.2013 at 15:08

but they started to spread anyway

... Like the plague!
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan