Metal Storm logo
Venom

Original post

Posted by GoldenerSchnitt, 17.05.2006 - 04:22
I thought I would open this topic again
Great band, with great albums such as Black Metal and Welcome to hell the music on them is simple but very good
And I did mangage to listen to Metal Black like a lot of people said it wasn't that good it was alright though
04.03.2008 - 22:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Written by Doc G. on 04.03.2008 at 22:30

It was example but generaly Motorhead albums are like one even thay changing for decaids

What do you mean?

That motorhead in 80ties sounds like garage punk, than there was 2guitarists thay sounds diferent and in 2000+ lil diferent, but still ewery song in radio you recognase Lemmy
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.03.2008 - 22:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Quote:
Written by Bad English on 04.03.2008 at 22:36

Written by Doc G. on 04.03.2008 at 22:30

It was example but generaly Motorhead albums are like one even thay changing for decaids

What do you mean?

That motorhead in 80ties sounds like garage punk, than there was 2guitarists thay sounds diferent and in 2000+ lil diferent, but still ewery song in radio you recognase Lemmy

Well of course, they have a signature sound, no matter who the guitarist is/are, because Lemmy is always behind the music. Anyways yeah, I'll agree Venom hasn't really changed there sound at all, despite line-up changes, they just have improved production values.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
05.03.2008 - 00:26
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
People actually keep up with Venom? lol wow, I mean I love them to death, but I find that everything they did after Black Metal , just didn't seem worth-while.
05.03.2008 - 07:38
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 05.03.2008 at 00:26

People actually keep up with Venom? lol wow, I mean I love them to death, but I find that everything they did after Black Metal , just didn't seem worth-while.

I think their newest album, Metal Black, is actually really good. It's yet another great comeback! But yeah, from what I've heard from their middle era didn't seem nearly as good.
05.03.2008 - 17:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 05.03.2008 at 07:38

I think their newest album, Metal Black, is actually really good. It's yet another great comeback! But yeah, from what I've heard from their middle era didn't seem nearly as good.

What, what what? Metal Black a great comeback? That album was totally uninspired drivel to me. A lot worse than an already mediocre album such as Possessed. But then again none of Venom's albums are objectively speaking good. Refreshing and new and influential to the scene the first two were but that's it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.03.2008 - 19:27
Southern Wind
Account deleted
On the other hand, middle era's Venom albums aren't as bad as people want us to believe... I mean, The Calm Before The Storm or Cast In Stone aren's exactly what we would call a masterpiece but they're decent heavy metal in the vein of a band that had always made just that, decent heavy metal that, like Marcel said, lost its refreshing status after the first two (ok, three) albums.
06.03.2008 - 00:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Dude, I think me and you are the only ones who seem to thoroughly enjoy that album.
----
- George Carlin
06.03.2008 - 01:09
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.03.2008 at 17:06

What, what what? Metal Black a great comeback? That album was totally uninspired drivel to me. A lot worse than an already mediocre album such as Possessed. But then again none of Venom's albums are objectively speaking good. Refreshing and new and influential to the scene the first two were but that's it.

Turn up your hearing aid, Marcel! xD It's hard to debate an album when someone just says "no, it sucks" lol. UUHH NUH UH!!!

It has some very fast moments and most of the songs are catchy to me at least, and while I don't think the entire album is consistently entertaining, overall I find it enjoyable. I'd give it somewhere around a 7.5, or maybe a little higher.
06.03.2008 - 23:31
totaliteraliter
But then again none of Venom's albums are objectively speaking good. Refreshing and new and influential to the scene the first two were but that's it.

Refreshing/new/influential isn't "good" enough for you?
07.03.2008 - 05:18
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by totaliteraliter on 06.03.2008 at 23:31

But then again none of Venom's albums are objectively speaking good. Refreshing and new and influential to the scene the first two were but that's it.

Refreshing/new/influential isn't "good" enough for you?

If you put all influences aside yes, they were not great albums, production values were pretty bad, skill is minimal, and the riffs are incredibly repetitive. And the fact the only thing theyve really changed over the years is production, even though I do love Venom Ive come to terms with these things.
----
- George Carlin
07.03.2008 - 05:32
totaliteraliter
Written by Doc G. on 07.03.2008 at 05:18
production values were pretty bad

Would you argue that the raw production did anything but enhance the album's effect?

skill is minimal

True, but do you really think the albums would have been better with extremely tight playing and slick production? It would have sucked the soul right out of it, I think.

and the riffs are incredibly repetitive.

This is a problem why?

I don't know, it seems like you're criticizing it for not being something it had no intention or reason to be.
07.03.2008 - 06:00
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by totaliteraliter on 07.03.2008 at 05:32

production values were pretty bad

Would you argue that the raw production did anything but enhance the album's effect?

skill is minimal

True, but do you really think the albums would have been better with extremely tight playing and slick production? It would have sucked the soul right out of it, I think.

and the riffs are incredibly repetitive.

This is a problem why?

I don't know, it seems like you're criticizing it for not being something it had no intention or reason to be.

I know, it had its own sound, its part of what made Venom Venom. But if your looking from a technical level, thats what made the albums bad.
----
- George Carlin
07.03.2008 - 06:11
totaliteraliter
Written by Doc G. on 07.03.2008 at 06:00
I know, it had its own sound, its part of what made Venom Venom. But if your looking from a technical level, thats what made the albums bad.

Well sure, if you have some sort of strangely simplistic view that "technical = good."
07.03.2008 - 06:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by totaliteraliter on 07.03.2008 at 06:11

Written by Doc G. on 07.03.2008 at 06:00

Well sure, if you have some sort of strangely simplistic view that "technical = good."

Sorry, I meant from an objective point of view....you really fail to see any point I'm getting at.
----
- George Carlin
07.03.2008 - 06:39
totaliteraliter
Written by Doc G. on 07.03.2008 at 06:23
Sorry, I meant from an objective point of view....you really fail to see any point I'm getting at.

I don't think so... if you're saying that objectively "technical > not technical" or "skilled musicians > comparatively unskilled musicians" then I still believe this is an invalid way of evaluating these particular pieces of art.
07.03.2008 - 06:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by totaliteraliter on 07.03.2008 at 06:39

Written by Doc G. on 07.03.2008 at 06:23

I don't think so... if you're saying that objectively "technical > not technical" or "skilled musicians > comparatively unskilled musicians" then I still believe this is an invalid way of evaluating these particular pieces of art.

Technically, by that I mean put any opinions aside, production values=bad, skill level=low, variation=not much. I'm not saying it isn't fun to listen to, but by no means would I consider these albums masterpieces. I think that is what Marcel was getting at, that is probably why he doesn't consider Venoms albums to be good. How can I break it down any further so it can fit onto my airplane spoon?
----
- George Carlin
07.03.2008 - 06:55
totaliteraliter
Written by Doc G. on 07.03.2008 at 06:46
Technically, by that I mean put any opinions aside, production values=bad, skill level=low, variation=not much. I'm not saying it isn't fun to listen to, but by no means would I consider these albums masterpieces. I think that is what Marcel was getting at, that is probably why he doesn't consider Venoms albums to be good. How can I break it down any further so it can fit onto my airplane spoon?

I don't disagree with any of those evaluations (skill level=low, etc...). What I disagree with is concluding that these prevent the albums from being objectively "good." Because you are basically saying for an album to be objectively good it needs to have clean production, skilled musicians, and varied compositions. It suggests that the early Venom albums would be better with skilled musicians, clean productions, and more complex songs. It's just a view I find irrelevant to these albums and a tad absurd. You should look at the album on its own terms if you want to evaluate it objectively.
12.03.2008 - 07:12
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Everything Venom have done from Welcome To Hell to The Calm Before The Storm I would consider brilliant.. Venom have never sold out but have taken a few wrong turns in their time.
17.06.2008 - 11:56
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
A promotional video for "Hell", the new album from Venom, can be viewed at this location.
18.06.2008 - 19:59
ferencziffra

Hey, I actually prefer Venom's Prime Evil and Temples Of Ice more than any other Venom album.
18.06.2008 - 20:11
FoxZdemoN
They seem to have a southern metal feel to their music now...which to me is crap! Besides BS of course
----

You can listen to my show "Diabolus Templum" on Thursdays 4pm till 7pm EST. on~
http://www.brutalexistenceradio.com/
19.06.2008 - 20:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I completely disagree with the above 2 comments, I thoroughly enjoy most of their new stuff, I pretty much see it as same old venom with better production qualities.

And what the hell is southern metal?
----
- George Carlin
19.06.2008 - 23:35
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by FoxZdemoN on 18.06.2008 at 20:11

They seem to have a southern metal feel to their music now...which to me is crap! Besides BS of course

what is that "southern metal"
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
21.06.2008 - 12:37
Damnated
Churchburner
G-O-O-O-O-O-O-G-L-E
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
21.06.2008 - 15:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Southern Rock exists but southern metal doesn't unless it is some sort of new genre tag which has all of a sudden popped up because some numbwit added it to wikipedia. And knowing that most of the wikipedia entries on metal are too far from the truth to be taken seriously I doubt the term actually exists outside of forums.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.06.2008 - 15:30
Candlemass
Defaeco
The first thrash band...
yet the first does not have to be the case.
ANd it is the case for me with Venom.
21.06.2008 - 17:06
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Candlemass on 21.06.2008 at 15:30

The first thrash band...
yet the first does not have to be the case.

good point!
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
23.06.2008 - 03:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.06.2008 at 15:17

Southern Rock exists but southern metal doesn't unless it is some sort of new genre tag which has all of a sudden popped up because some numbwit added it to wikipedia. And knowing that most of the wikipedia entries on metal are too far from the truth to be taken seriously I doubt the term actually exists outside of forums.

Agreed. Ridiculous break-downs of genres is incredibly pointless. I remember a few years ago I started hearing the term "Bodom Metal" used in serious contexts just because a few knock-off bands started playing COB style. Its getting out of hand.
----
- George Carlin
05.07.2008 - 14:23
Timelord
Venom opened the door to a whole new breed of metal. Welcome to hell was comprised of demos which the record company felt was good enough to release as an album against what venom wanted. Hence the difference in production values. "Black Metal" was the first studio recorded album and is a classic influential masterpiece. They had the balls to go all out and hype up the satan charade to drum up attention for themselves because they knew they lacked musical ability like Judas Priest or Sabbath. IT WORKED!! "At War with Satan" had a 20 minute marathon of a song which showed they did have some talent. It didn't go over that well because you can't take up half your live shows with 1 song when you rarely played live as it was. "Possessed" the band was never happy with. By this time other bands with more talent like Slayer and Metallica had taken over as the leaders of the scene but still cited Venom as their main influence. "Calm Before the Storm" was a weak attempt to refuel with a new lineup. Exit Cronos! We all know without him its not Venom. Jump ahead to "Cast in Stone" good album with better production but still lacking. "Resurrection" GREAT album!! Whats the difference? They got somebody who could play drums finally. I live by this to this day : a badass drummer can make a mediocre guitarist sound great, bad drummers make it all sound like shit. Mantas's guitars on "resurrection were very good. "War Against Christ" "Loaded" Firelight" and "Black Flame(of Satan) are great songs. Some of the best Venom has done. "Metal Black" to me was missing Mantas riffs and ended up sounding generic and rushed. From what I have heard so far "Hell" is better than "Metal Black"
06.07.2008 - 12:46
TheBigRossowski
I love Venom, I bought the fuckin' boxset which for some reason is not listed on here (?) after listening to my first few Venom albums. The first was Black Metal of course and then it progressed from there. Metal Black wasn't that bad, best the've done in awhile at least. I don't know if I will check out Hell though, we'll see. Bitch Witch! 1000 Days in Sodom, let the good times roll!!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?