04. Catharian Ruins
05. Reverance
06. Fountain Of The Enchantress
07. My Inner Sanctrum
08. Curse Of The Wizard
09. Stellar Winds
10. Finale
11. Gargoyles Rest

I can already tell you that the new release of the French band Artefact will be one of the great surprises of the year 2008. "Ruins" is the third album of this really atypical combo and I really think that it will be the album of "the next step" the release that the people will remember to be the one which gave the status of "important band" to this really good combo. If you like original Metal and want to listen to an album full of hits (but which is not commercial of course) remember my words and have a look asap on Ruins. Artefact will kick our asses this year!

Even if some people say that Artefact is a Black Metal band, I think that I will have to give a better description to the music of the combo if you really want to understand what Artefact is. Of course some rhythms and vocals are near of Black Metal but all in all, Ruins is definitely more like an Epic album of Progressive Folk / Death / Black Metal (a bit like with the last Primordial or also a bit like "Mabool" of Orphaned Land). The songs are all really long with great epic choruses and with a ton of different melodies break and complex guitars soli. All in all, Ruins is a great original album and even if Artefact has some influences which come from the Viking Metal bands or even from bands like Opeth, they have their own unique sound and it's great to see that nowadays some bands are still able to surprise us.

This album is mature, this is already the third album of the combo but it sounds like the album of the maturity. With a perfect production and not any mistakes I can tell you that Artefact will surprise a lot of people. In fact I can even say that this band will become one of the leaders of the French Metal scene. Without being commercial they have catchy songs which will please all the Metalheads, from the fans of extreme Metal to the ones who like melodic music. I can only recommend to you this release and I'm proud to talk about a band from my country which has this musical level. Technical, violent but epic and melodic (and even proggy) Ruins is already one of the great albums of the beginning of the year 2008.

You're in front of a little jewel my friends. Don't believe the ones who say that Artefact only plays Black Metal, this is not a classic Black Metal but more like a real melting pot of extreme music and really it's great stuff. Don't miss this release if you like to listen to Progressive extreme Metal and Folk music, Ruins is just classy as hell. Congratulation to the frenchies of Artefact they have just released one of the best album of the French Metal scene.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 08.01.2008

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 193 users
08.01.2008 - 14:41
Rating: 9
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Elite
THE Album of the month for me!

Have a look on their Myspace => http://www.myspace.com/artefactmetal

you'll be able to listen to one of the songs of the new album (and old ones).

JUST EXCELLENT!
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
08.01.2008 - 14:44
Infidel
Child of Hell
yeah...that's a very good review...thanks to Jeff !
08.01.2008 - 17:07
Rating: 8
Talvi
Damn, I've just heared to the track of this album on myspace, and it's so great! I'll try them for sure
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
08.01.2008 - 17:25
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
I discovered them on Metallian magazine few years ago with "Son Of Solstice", and it had already been indeed acclamed. The big potential of the band had already been underlined.

This good review confirm it
08.01.2008 - 18:42
Mosquiller
---
----
Written by Konrad on 10.12.2009 at 22:41

Hey, if you put your mind to something, you can accomplish it...just don't give up.
08.01.2008 - 21:21
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
This must be one of the first metal albums of 2008. they sound really interesting
----
Coldgrits
08.01.2008 - 21:46
Fane
This sounds pretty damn good! Old and new, both are awesome. Just found a new band for myself. Thanks for the review!
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
08.01.2008 - 21:57
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Elite
No problem , just spread the good words about them everywhere!
----
08.01.2008 - 22:45
Stone
They're friend of mine
----
-- There is no hope, why don't you ?.. --
08.01.2008 - 23:32
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Just checked out this album, will definitely be picking this one up. Great review, as you said very diverse, lot of different influences. From the black metal styles to, i think, plainchant? One of the bridge songs had all clean vocals acapella, Catharian Ruins I believe. Fountain of the Enchantress reminded me the most of Mabool, while the other songs sound like a good mix between Opeth and In Flames/Dark Tranquillity.
09.01.2008 - 21:09
Fhuesc
Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't found the folks elements, but still they sound interesting.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
09.01.2008 - 21:18
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Elite
@ Fhuesc: Do you have the whole album? if no, then listen to later some songs "Medieval Ancestry" (the link to an album like Mabool imo) or "Fountain Of The Enchantress" and you'll see what I mean.

And of course, when I'm talking about Folk I'm not only talking about Folk a la Finntroll
----
10.01.2008 - 01:29
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Wow, thanks Jeff! Well written review. You definitely got my attention
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
16.01.2008 - 21:45
Talvi
I've listened to it several times. It doesn't stop amazing me but... is Gargoyles Rest a piano version of Gargoyles Unleashing?
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
23.09.2008 - 11:57
FOOCK Nam
I like this album but if more epic element, and some variation in music, it could be flawless. IMO full of progressive element in their music, not only this one but also some previous ones.
EDIT: btw, 9.0 is too high for me. I would rate it around 8.0 to 8.5 .To me it is not too perfect to rate 9.0
23.04.2014 - 16:40
Wes
Reminds me of Forefather!

Hits total: 8143 | This month: 17