03. Nattskräcken
04. Slottet Auragon
05. För Mig? Ditt Blod Utgsjutet
06. Dödens Svarta Fana
07. Luna Luciferi
08. I Döden Fann Hon Liv
09. Vargablod
10. Ibi Cubavit Lamsa

Siebenbürgen, a black metal act from Sweden, released their second album "Grimjaur" in 1998, but have unfortunately now disbanded. This is an album which may not be the masterwork but is still beautiful in the field of its genre.

The album starts creating a required atmosphere in the very beginning of the first track by mysterious bell tolls. Sounds catchy enough though Siebenbürgen is not the only band who have used the sound of a church bell as an introduction to their album. Let's have the infamous Horde for instance with "Hellig Usvart".

The black metal atmosphere and sound is present throughout the album. Marcus Ehlin provides quality vocals and his pronounciation of the Swedish language helps immensely in creating the "northern" mood. A huge plus is definitely the female singer Lovisa Hallstedt. Her haunting voice is a fine partner for the gnarling of Marcus. At the same time her chanting will never turn into too lyrical or over-operatic wailing which would, in this case, make the songs slightly too cliché-like or bear the pejorative "beauty and the beast" logo. An interesting and a bit sad fact here is that after the release of this album the band did the same thing to Lovisa that was years later done to Tarja Turunen by Nightwish. It was said that the band members were not satisfied with the performance of Hallstedt on "Grimjaur" which lead to departure of the singer and replacement by Kicki Höijertz. Difficult to understand since her vocals added very much to the music of the band and made the first two albums so special.

There are several particularly enjoyable tracks on this album. "Nattskräcken" is brutal and sinister, ready to strike the listener with every sound. "För Mig... Ditt Blod Utgutet" displays a fine and catchy folk-inspired duet by Marcus and Lovisa. The album is ended by a calm and dreaming acoustic ballad "Ibi Cubavit Lamia" sung entirely by Lovisa.

"Grimjaur" is a fine album by Siebenbürgen. There is nothing to frown upon when speaking of this work of theirs. Perhaps many songs of the album may start to have a monotonous impact on the listener when played for a longer period of time but the musicians have done a grand job and the music is performed well. With "Grimjaur" Siebenbürgen continued their atmospheric cold and mysterious path on the landscape of music.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Ernis | 31.08.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 32 users
10.01.2008 - 20:11
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Nice review, this sounds interesting. Ill check it out if I find it...
----
15.01.2008 - 04:05
lazarus

Wow, you were really inspired at the time you made this nice review, but I'm not really sure about the rating, it's so low
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
15.01.2008 - 18:16
Ernis
狼獾
One can't rate all albums with nines and tens all the time....in my eyes this album's good but there are indeed better ones....
13.04.2008 - 00:36
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
this album is ok... Siebenburgen is a good band and whatever, but i just cant enjoy most of their songs, this gothic side of them ruined their black metal, and it become very very boring (these drums are the monothonous thing i've ever heard).
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
15.10.2016 - 01:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nice work I did not noticed bells, but siger IMO she did good job, even she sung not much here but still I think she did good job, but well its to late talk about it now
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.10.2016 - 13:16
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 15.10.2016 at 01:54

Nice work I did not noticed bells, but siger IMO she did good job, even she sung not much here but still I think she did good job, but well its to late talk about it now

Crikey bub... you know what you just did... You made me remember of these days quite a number of years ago by now; and now I've picked up with this band again... well, I might even give a shot to their 2008 release and, who know, maybe even write a review...
18.10.2016 - 17:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 18.10.2016 at 13:16

Written by Bad English on 15.10.2016 at 01:54

Crikey bub... you know what you just did... You made me remember of these days quite a number of years ago by now; and now I've picked up with this band again... well, I might even give a shot to their 2008 release and, who know, maybe even write a review...

I still have that flame, those times burns in me, I just transformed yoth from Lv to Swd and created new life story , but flame is alive

http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=14076
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 4611 | This month: 6