Metal Storm logo
Dead Artists and Their Reputation

11.01.2008 - 20:29
Lord TJ
Ok, so I have been wondering about this for a long while. We all know how many big influences and stuff are from artists who have died, for example Chuck Schuldiner, Randy Rhoads, Vitek. If they were still alive today, do you think they would still have a huge reputation?

I mean look at who we have today, Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen are still kicking it, and they are very well known and great musicians, yet if they died, do you think their reputation would sky rocket?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
11.01.2008 - 21:12
Charly546
Diamond Darrel.
Somehow after his death his reputation skyrocketed from "pretty good" to "god". I really can't stand all the praise he gets, but he is a good example how ones reputation can rise after ones death.

For Van Halen and Malmsteen, I tend to think no. They are pretty well-known nowadays and I can't see their reputation getting any higher, as they are already very respected. But then again, who knows?
12.01.2008 - 12:16
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
It is a commonly held truth that you will earn more respect after your death than what you will earn in your entire lifetime. Just look at examples like Kurt Cobain. Nobody really cared for him before he died, but when he committed suicide, it seems that everyone loves him. As for Van Halen and the like, I believe that after they die, they will be taught in schools of the future about how the influenced the music of their time.
17.01.2008 - 04:31
slayer_pwns
Account deleted
yea i find it sad that some great artists only get respected until after they die.
18.01.2008 - 08:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Yeah Ive found this to be very true, for example, none of my friends were Decapitated fans, or even Death Metal fans for that matter (they were really into epic viking metal and extreme power metal, or anything with keyboards) but as soon as Vitek bit it they had "RIP Vitek" posted all over there MSN names and had the whole Decapitated discog downloaded, which Im sure they listen to once in a blue moon. The real question is why people do that? why the hell do they become fans after the person dies?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.01.2008 - 09:05
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 18.01.2008 at 08:09

Yeah Ive found this to be very true, for example, none of my friends were Decapitated fans, or even Death Metal fans for that matter (they were really into epic viking metal and extreme power metal, or anything with keyboards) but as soon as Vitek bit it they had "RIP Vitek" posted all over there MSN names and had the whole Decapitated discog downloaded, which Im sure they listen to once in a blue moon. The real question is why people do that? why the hell do they become fans after the person dies?

People tend to regret what they missed out on. So when Vitek died and they suddenly realized they had been wasting their time listening to Falconer, is it any wonder they abruptly scrambled to make up for lost opportunities?

It's a little bit like how every person who dies becomes the most wonderful person on the face of the earth - when they're written up in the obituaries. An alcoholic, wife-beating jackass who is hooked on internet gambling and dies of liver failure turns into a "...loving husband and father who faced life's struggles with perseverance and dignity, and fought bravely against a lengthy illness, inspiring all of us with his courage and hope." People are always at their very best when they're dead.
19.01.2008 - 07:10
Eternal Flames
In most cases, people tend to look back at a recently deceased persons achievements. It's really not until they are dead that they are truly respected for what they may have given to the world or simply to their friends and their families. It's just a matter of respect and looking at the positive things the person has done through their lifetime.

I do agree that some people take it too far though. I think that dead 'icons' should be remembered, but not 'worshipped'. I understand that it's a sad loss whenever a musician dies and I would understand if their families and friends would grieve for a long time, but for fuck's sake people that didn't know the deceased don't still need to be saying R.I.P. everytime they mention a dead musicians name or showing their respect for them through their MSN names every year on their death anniverary.
21.01.2008 - 21:11
Written by Guest on 12.01.2008 at 12:16

It is a commonly held truth that you will earn more respect after your death than what you will earn in your entire lifetime. Just look at examples like Kurt Cobain. Nobody really cared for him before he died, but when he committed suicide, it seems that everyone loves him. As for Van Halen and the like, I believe that after they die, they will be taught in schools of the future about how the influenced the music of their time.

I'm agree with you, most artist after they die, they become overpraised which remembers me a Faith no more song: Star A.D: "...and when you die, you become worst than dead: you become a legend!..." haha.

But Man in Kurt cobain's case I'm not concurred, maybe you think that cause you're a kid, But Nirvana was a HUGE succes!!. Nirvana sold millions and millions of albums before Kurt died. I remember evryone wanted to look like him, sing like him and shit like him. I was a kid in that time I know ! but I swear I remenber the tv ads for Nevrmind in the national tv here in Venezuela in 1991!! fuck man, to do that here you have to be HUUUUUGE cause the local tv networks almost promote not rock at all. They are bunch of retarded who does not uderstand rock, so it made so hard to see any "kinda heavy" band on tv.
21.01.2008 - 21:31
Son of Odin
If Dimebag (RIP) would have been alive today he would probably just be a pretty good guitar player in an average good band.
When he died he suddenly became one of the greatest guitar players...as Charly456 said: "I really can't stand all the praise he gets, but he is a good example how ones reputation can rise after ones death".
Totally agree on those words.
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
23.01.2008 - 03:38
Number Juan
I think it does have to do with the fact that people miss what they do not have anymore, like Harmonic said. When Dimebag died, I was NOT a fan of his music and I was oblivious to his influence, especially in the groove and nu-metal genres, which were terms I didn't even understand. This happens all the time. Once someone dies, they become an icon of sorts. They are deified, kinda like the Pope turns Christians into saints in death.

I think this applies better to people who did NOT deserve the hype when they died. Just wait until The Dark Knight comes out. Heath Ledger will get praise up the ass because he just died, regardless of how good or bad his performance is.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
23.01.2008 - 15:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
Of course death gives an artist a huge reputation. One of the most obvious examples would be Dead from Mayhem, he didn't even sing on one of their studio albums and today many consider him to be one of the best vocalists in Black Metal.
----
23.01.2008 - 17:28
FOOCK Nam
Written by Warman on 23.01.2008 at 15:51

Of course death gives an artist a huge reputation. One of the most obvious examples would be Dead from Mayhem, he didn't even sing on one of their studio albums and today many consider him to be one of the best vocalists in Black Metal.

I have Deathcrush song taken from Live in Leipzig, and its info in MA is Dead in vocal. I would say that his vocal is not bad, but his reputation mostly comes from his lifestyle, depressive, morbid, etc. And yeah his death is different than other artist death, suicide that makes he so famous.
23.01.2008 - 17:36
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by FOOCK Nam on 23.01.2008 at 17:28

I have Deathcrush song taken from Live in Leipzig, and its info in MA is Dead in vocal.

Yeah, it's Dead on vocals. He only appeared on a live album and some bootlegs, never a studio album.
----
28.01.2008 - 04:01
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
There have been some artists whose death really effected me. OK, I know you will all laugh at me when I say this, but I cried for about an hour when John Denver died. I was raised on his music and it really did wreck me. I also cried over Dimebag. Maybe because of the way he was killed, maybe because it meant he and Mike Portnoy would never get together and play.

As for people like Chuck Schuldiner, who I didn't learn about until long after his death; Dead, who I still have never heard any music from; or Vitek who I have never even heard of until I read this thread, I just don't really care about.

OK, maybe I do get a little sad think about Chuck Schuldiner, because of what happened to him and that I never got to experience this amazing musician while he was alive, but that is about it. I sort of have the same feeling about Chuck Schuldiner as I do John Bonham or Jimi Hendrix.
----
(space for rent)
28.01.2008 - 13:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by Dane Train on 28.01.2008 at 04:01

As for people like Chuck Schuldiner, who I didn't learn about until long after his death; Dead, who I still have never heard any music from; or Vitek who I have never even heard of until I read this thread, I just don't really care about.

Was that a request for a recommendation? I don't think you'll like it, but if you're interested in hearing some Dead vocals, your best move would be to download/buy their live album Live In Leipzig. (Of Mayhem, of course.)
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.01.2008 - 13:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by Warman on 23.01.2008 at 17:36

Written by FOOCK Nam on 23.01.2008 at 17:28

I have Deathcrush song taken from Live in Leipzig, and its info in MA is Dead in vocal.

Yeah, it's Dead on vocals. He only appeared on a live album and some bootlegs, never a studio album.

Make that a lot of bootlegs.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.01.2008 - 15:53
Judas
The Amputator
Cliff Burton was practically deified after his death, for no apparent reason. I mean, sure, he was the bassist in Metallica back when they were still decent, but really he didn't do a lot other than play bass, did he? Dimebag Darrell is perhaps slightly more worthy of adulation, but even so, how many people today pay the shit out of Pantera but will still say, paradoxically, that Dimebag was a great guitarist for them? Chuck Schuldiner is definitely worthy of all the accolades he gets, since he's a pioneer and actually accomplished a lot with a genuinely good band, same with Euronymous (let's face it, without him, there wouldn't have been a Norwegian Black Metal underground), but Dead's notoriety is more to do with his character than with his vocals. I mean, he was good, but half the aura around him would have gone if he hadn't slashed his wrists on stage, inhaled the stench of death from rotting ravens in bags, and worn decaying clothes on stage and whatnot. People often seem to lose perspective of what a person actually accomplished in their life after they die, and it's not just in the music world, it's everywhere.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
29.01.2008 - 21:51
Lord TJ
I don't think being most notable for doing weirdo things like what Dead did would be a good thing to be remembered by lol.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
30.01.2008 - 00:36
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
I used to like Pantera in high school, and when Dime was murdered it was really sad. I wasn't a fan of Damageplan too much, and I moderately enjoyed the first four Pantera albums. Eventually the hype began to evoke feelings of resentment and bitterness in me, like the same Hot Topic mall crowd that used to wear Slipknot and ICP attire now sporting R.I.P. Dime tees, but I have come to terms with the phenomena. Dime deserves all the hype and respect he receives, even if only for the way he died: on stage, doing what he loved, shredding it up. Maybe this popularity can partially (but never fully) make up for the tragic injustice served that cut his life short.