02. Jihad: The Grisly Din Of Killing Steel
03. Paradise
04. Another God In Another Place
05. Tanks In The Holy Land
06. Assassins Of Allah

Mayhem
07. Freezing Moon
08. Carnage

The Meads of Asphodel is an unconventional black metal band with few elements of folk metal and punk; overall their music is categorized as experimental, medieval, black metal. Jihad is by far their better release as it's a split with legendary Norwegian band Mayhem.

There are only 2 good songs by Meads of Asphodel in this entire album and the rest of the songs are boring and are highly under influence of Bollywood music which makes them almost crap. Mayhem has added only 2 songs in this album and their 2 songs have more impact than all the songs combined by Mead of Asphodel.

I do not consider their music black metal because there's nothing black about their music except the harsh vocals which are pretty average. The lyrics are childish, they don't even understand the real meaning of Jihad, which mean "To fight in the name of Allah" so according to the name there should have been lots of powerful and emotional music but almost all of their songs lack the punch. The riffs are mild and boring; the drumming is average and neither the drums nor the guitars have enough speed necessary for black metal; the keyboards have been played in an Indian cinematic way most of the time. The atmosphere sounds fake; overall this album is a joke in the name of both "Jihad" and "Black Metal."

"Assassins of Allah" is the best song by Meads of Asphodel, it is a very catchy song, this is the only song where everything is almost perfect for this song to be considered extreme material: very good riffs; good vocals; sufficiently good keyboards and drums. The only song that is worth checking out is "Jihad - The Grisly Din of Killing Steel," it is something different and has some catchiness and some famous Arabic verses.

This is the sort of extreme music that only metalcore and nu metal fans can like, the purists will despise this album; fans of Indian cinematic music will find this very refreshing. The overall music is very easy listening and therefore I won't be surprised if this album gets a good rating among the common crowd.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Account deleted | 11.01.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 95 users
15.01.2008 - 17:00
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
If your goal with this review was to keep the reader away from this album you succeeded The review was pretty well written though, just too bad the album was bad
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
15.01.2008 - 18:12
tallha.gillani
Account deleted
Yah GT, why should someone waste their time on listening to such black metal that is not even black at all. I was disappointed by this album, I just didn't want others to waste their money on it.
15.01.2008 - 19:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 15.01.2008 at 18:12

Yah GT, why should someone waste their time on listening to such black metal that is not even black at all. I was disappointed by this album, I just didn't want others to waste their money on it.

you were disappointed and yet rate it a 7.7?
Either this is the most objective rating ever, or you think 7.7 is low.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.01.2008 - 20:41
tallha.gillani
Account deleted
Mayhem songs in this are really good. I gave it 7.7 for 2 reasons, 1. because Mayhem was involved here. Freezing Moon is a famous song and it has a very good guitar solo which are rare in traditional black metal and its a slightly different version of this song in this album. I don't think 7.7 is low but I want these guys (Meads) to do good black metal and thats why I gave this album an encouraging rating.
15.01.2008 - 20:45
Damnated
Churchburner

black metal that is not even black at all.

these guest reviews are getting better by the day.

you called them unconventional black metal in the review's first sentence, and now you don't think they are black metal? lol.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
15.01.2008 - 20:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
apparently the Meads or their record company didn't have official permission from Mayhem to use the songs as a split.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.01.2008 - 06:26
totaliteraliter
The lyrics are childish, they don't even understand the real meaning of Jihad, which mean "To fight in the name of Allah" so according to the name there should have been lots of powerful and emotional music but almost all of their songs lack the punch.

I think you misunderstood what this album is about; you should perhaps have looked into it a bit more deeply rather than going by your odd preconception of what Jihad as a concept means. The lyrics are always a strong point of this band, here their usual combination of humour and religious/political/historical commentary are in full effect. What is childish about making connections between traditional Abrahamic religious stories and their parallels in modern occurrences like 9/11? Or discussing the theological contradictions and tug-of-war in a modern pluralistic/globalist world?

The towers of Babel fell as one
Flesh and stone explode
The debris of Eden for all to gloat
God's paradise unveiled

Wanderer, prophet man
Killed by fear in a conquered land
Crowned with thorns and nailed up high
Did you want be a star in a sky full of shit?

For a band with such depth, it's pretty unfair to say they don't understand the "real" meaning of Jihad.

"Assassins of Allah" is the best song by Meads of Asphodel, it is a very catchy song, this is the only song where everything is almost perfect for this song to be considered extreme material...

Interesting interpretation considering this is a Hawkwind song...

This is the sort of extreme music that only metalcore and nu metal fans can like, the purists will despise this album...

Given that the musical roots of this record lie in black and traditional metal, and to a lesser extent electronic music, I don't see much to do with metalcore/nu metal. You mention "bollywood", but not the other elements (such as the famous main theme from "O Fortuna") that are used to create some of the band's trademark audio collages where bible verses meet modern propaganda tapes meet clips from current world leader speeches (etc.). This band is all about placing modernity within an often ironic and always moribund historical context.

Conclusion: If you go into this band expecting "extreme" black metal, you aren't going to get it - it's that and a lot more, and it takes some time to figure out (which is what makes them one of the better bands around today).
06.04.2009 - 23:29
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Quote:

The lyrics are childish, they don't even understand the real meaning of Jihad, which mean "To fight in the name of Allah" so
according to the name there should have been lots of powerful and emotional music but almost all of their songs lack the punch.

If they didn't know the meaning of Jihad in depth, they wouldn't have been able to write a line like this:

.... Of empty promises and empty lies ... false redeemer leading sheep to slaughter....

You have to be familiar with Islamic history and Mohammad's conflicts with his followers regarding battles....
And these ironic lines are obviously translations of some Quran verses:

Thou shalt not kill or maim
Unless god doth decree
Thou shalt then do the same
And kill humanity.

as an instance of a below mediocre lyric about jihad see The kovenant_Jihad.

I don't have the album yet, just listened to Jihad: The Grisly Din Of Killing Steel, but will surely give it a try as soon as i can find the full-album.
Those Arabic lines in the middle of that song rule. by creating a unique atmosphere.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
27.04.2009 - 15:10
stygian
Ok... this review doesnt make sense at all...
this is great music!!
28.09.2009 - 20:56
Solstafir!
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 06.04.2009 at 23:29

Quote:

The lyrics are childish, they don't even understand the real meaning of Jihad, which mean "To fight in the name of Allah" so
according to the name there should have been lots of powerful and emotional music but almost all of their songs lack the punch.

If they didn't know the meaning of Jihad in depth, they wouldn't have been able to write a line like this:

.... Of empty promises and empty lies ... false redeemer leading sheep to slaughter....

You have to be familiar with Islamic history and Mohammad's conflicts with his followers regarding battles....
And these ironic lines are obviously translations of some Quran verses:

Thou shalt not kill or maim
Unless god doth decree
Thou shalt then do the same
And kill humanity.

as an instance of a below mediocre lyric about jihad see The kovenant_Jihad.

I don't have the album yet, just listened to Jihad: The Grisly Din Of Killing Steel, but will surely give it a try as soon as i can find the full-album.
Those Arabic lines in the middle of that song rule. by creating a unique atmosphere.

I respect your opinion, but I strongly disagree...presenting your own interpretation of jihad does not count as a fact, it is a perception, nothing more, nothing less...
28.09.2009 - 21:24
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
What...a release by TMOA i never heard about...have to fix it
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.09.2009 - 11:32
Rating: 7
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Ellrohir on 28.09.2009 at 21:24

What...a release by TMOA i never heard about...have to fix it

Imo it's their worst, but still worth checking out
29.09.2009 - 12:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I will sure let you know what were my impressions and feelings
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.10.2009 - 11:45
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Solstafir! on 28.09.2009 at 20:56

I respect your opinion, but I strongly disagree...presenting your own interpretation of jihad does not count as a fact, it is a perception, nothing more, nothing less...

You don't want to get into the whole Defensive-war quibble, do you?
I understand, of course not every Muslim has that radical invasive interpretation of Jihad, but lets be realist, a considerable number do, who unfortunately overshadow moderate Muslims...And are the trouble...
----
01.10.2009 - 13:47
Solstafir!
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 01.10.2009 at 11:45

Written by Solstafir! on 28.09.2009 at 20:56

You don't want to get into the whole Defensive-war quibble, do you?
I understand, of course not every Muslim has that radical invasive interpretation of Jihad, but lets be realist, a considerable number do, who unfortunately overshadow moderate Muslims...And are the trouble...

Of course not, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and everybody has to respect that, so long as that does not hurt others...
And I do agree about the radical muslim thing you pointed out, at the same time I would like to add that most of the media highlight these black sheeps as though all muslims are exemplary of this behaviour, as a practicing muslim I take strong objection to this kind of partiality...

It seems out of place to discuss these issues here, but I had to...and no hard feelings, ?
01.10.2009 - 14:29
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Solstafir! on 01.10.2009 at 13:47

It seems out of place to discuss these issues here, but I had to...and no hard feelings, ?

yep, We've got a topic to discuss Islam: http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=11164
----
01.10.2009 - 19:21
Solstafir!
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 01.10.2009 at 14:29

Written by Solstafir! on 01.10.2009 at 13:47

yep, We've got a topic to discuss Islam: http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=11164

Thanx!

Hits total: 7726 | This month: 6