Album: Human Antithesis
Release date: May 2004

01. Human Antithesis
02. Grey Horizon ( M.P.H. MMIV )
03. Untitled
04. To A Sickly Child
05. Dark Static Moments
06. CXVIII

Human Antithesis is the name of this release by Void Of Silence, Italian Doom Metal, strange Doom Metal that's for sure, and Antithesis is the word that would define the music contained in this Cd, because each element doesn't match the other, each element differs much from the other, thus creating an Antithesis of music, resulting, a boring album.

Industrial landscapes, ambience noises, dark calmer parts combined with some singing (done by Alan Nemtheaga from Primordial) is what you'll receive here, non conventional song structures with weird instrumentation is what makes this album so original, and so boring.

Both a curse and a blessing, both genius and insane, this album has 2 sides that need to be explored, the one containing landscapes, voids of music and a lot of spoken parts, and other that have some decent music with lack of linearity in the songwriting?

This a very hard album to review, took me more than a couple of spins to come up with something to say about this, and still is not that useful what I got to say? so, after some time trying to understand it, I couldn't. I don't get this album, is so strange, so boring, so unusual, most of it doesn't have music mostly sounds?

If I wanted to loose 1 hour of my life I would find better ways to do it rather than sitting on my bed trying to figure out what the hell is sounding on the stereo. Void Of Silence won't see the light out of my Cd shelf in a while I fear, Recommended for the braver souls that like to wonder beyond the borders of normal music?

Written by Undercraft | 27.09.2004

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 121 users
16.01.2008 - 14:31
Rating: 10
velvet

Hmm - I've really grown to love this album. I entirely agree it's not going to appeal to everyone, but my tastes definitely run in this direction so i was ecstatic to get this delivered (and yes, it's seen more playtime than any Maiden album, guilt guilt guilt).

If you like theatrics, sound effects, clean vocals in doom and just good old despair you should love Human Antithesis. Funeral Doom at its most exciting.
13.02.2008 - 14:13
Rating: 7
♱ RaVeN ♱

This is one of the most amazing albums i've ever heard. Void of Silence took their sounds to another level by merging avant-garde influences with doom metal.

From start to finish, i have enjoyed every bit of this album. The opening tack itself blew me away, Human Antithesis :
' This is where the dream ends
where the soul of every man and woman is broken
where you carry your crippled children in hope of salvation
and lay them down to die'

Portraying darkness, pain and suffering ... like an apocalypse nearing.

Don't be put off by the review. Music is all about experimenting new levels, different soundscapes and Void of Silence have done a perfect job. This album is far from being boring. For those of you who aren't afraid to look beyond for new sounds, you should definitely give this album a try.
15.02.2008 - 01:27
Rating: 8
W-Lash
Metal Master
5 for this album? Seems like you hate Void Of Silence...I'd like to say that everything by Void Of Silence is great.
This album is the worst (that's only my opinion. Most of listeners somehow like this one the best) of all stuff done by VoS but it still deserves more than fucking 5.
08.04.2008 - 01:11
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I remember liking their debut album to some extent, but this one is a little harder for me to get into. Some parts are good, but some of the vocal styles really bother me, especially the whispering and spoken passages, but other times the vocals sound great. I fucking love the echoing audio clips they randomly use though.

I'd give it around a 7, but this album seems like it's a grower.
31.05.2009 - 19:29
DyingInSin

This is not boring album at all....I love it
16.05.2014 - 16:41
Rating: 9
Erik M.

This review sucks. You don't like the album, that's clear to me immediately, but all you use are words like "boring", "weird" and "unusual", yet you do state it's Original un unconventional. If you think this majestic and amazing album is boring, then I feel really sorry for you.

For fuck's sake, why write a review about an album you really dislike and can barely describe in the first place? It's not the music's fault that you can't grasp it, it's your own fault. This music apparently went over your head, and you therefore you're not the right person to review it.
16.05.2014 - 17:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Pretty harsh words Erik but I'd have to agree.Spelling and grammar mistakes aside, the actual review does little to describe what the album sounds like (something I've been guilty of in the past) and all you're left with is a couple hundred words about how weird and boring the album is.

Keep in mind this was also written 10 years ago. I'm assuming if Undercraft did a re-write we'd see noticeable improvement.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.05.2014 - 18:52
Erik M.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.05.2014 at 17:45

Pretty harsh words Erik but I'd have to agree.Spelling and grammar mistakes aside, the actual review does little to describe what the album sounds like (something I've been guilty of in the past) and all you're left with is a couple hundred words about how weird and boring the album is.

Keep in mind this was also written 10 years ago. I'm assuming if Undercraft did a re-write we'd see noticeable improvement.

Indeed. I might've been a bit too harsh but I still stand by what I said.

I didn't realize the review is so old. But why would his opinion be any different now?
16.05.2014 - 18:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 16.05.2014 at 18:52

Indeed. I might've been a bit too harsh but I still stand by what I said.

I didn't realize the review is so old. But why would his opinion be any different now?

Because he's had 10 years to expand his music taste and understanding. Not to mention his use of the English language.
16.05.2014 - 18:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Erik M. on 16.05.2014 at 18:52
But why would his opinion be any different now?

His opinion might not be any different at all, but his writing skill might have improved in that time so he would be able to voice his thoughts better.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.05.2014 - 18:56
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 16.05.2014 at 18:53

Because he's had 10 years to expand his music taste and understanding. Not to mention his use of the English language.

Yeah, thought of that after I posted my message, but I figured I'd be too late to change/correct it anyway since you and Troy are always so ridiculously fast with your replies.
16.05.2014 - 18:56
Erik M.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.05.2014 at 18:53

His opinion might not be any different at all, but his writing skill might have improved in that time so he would be able to voice his thoughts better.

Yeah, I figured you meant that and not his opinion.
16.05.2014 - 18:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 16.05.2014 at 18:56

Yeah, thought of that after I posted my message, but I figured I'd be too late to change/correct it anyway since you and Troy are always so ridiculously fast with your replies.

I have surprisingly little else to do today (translation: I have shitloads to do but I'm hungover so not going to do them and going sail MS instead).
06.03.2016 - 09:20
Maco
Pvt Funderground
This review is offensive and as the reviewer's countryman I apologize for it.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
06.03.2016 - 11:51
Zap
Yeah, not the best review, haha. Great fucking album though.
06.03.2016 - 11:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.05.2014 at 18:58

and going sail MS instead).

What are you talking about you tit.

Hits total: 4747 | This month: 9