Metal Storm logo
Old School/Golden Age Hip Hop

16.01.2008 - 16:56
Existenzangst
Account deleted
I know that we already have a rap thread, but this thread is only for Old School and Golden Age hip hop. If you're not familiar with this music, let me clear you up. -> "Hip Hop" is the name of the entire scene, including breakdancing, graffiti, rapping (MCing) and DJing, the four elements of hip hop. Old School Hip Hop is a term used for hip hop music from the late 70s to the mid' 80s which had an huge electornic influence, most people classify old school hip hop as an sub-genre of electro. Though, today many people also consider bands from the late 80s and early 90s as old school. Though, the correct describtion for hip hop acts from the late 80s and early 90s is "Golden Age Hip Hop". Anyway, it's important to mention, that this is not an own genre, it's a word used for hip hop from '85 to '95, or modern hip hop with an old school touch like Jurassic 5. I know that most metalheads despise hip hop, but I also know that most metalheads don't have a fucking clue about old school and golden age hip hop, so I'm hoping to find some people in here who maybe are familiar with this genre, or even like it.

Examples of Old School Hip Hop (Links to youtube videos)
good shit!

Kool DJ Herc (Considered the Father of Hip Hop) - Tribute Clip
Sugarhill Gang - *click me hard*
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 4 - *click me hard*
Afrika Bambaataa - *click me hard*
Busy Bee - *click me hard*
Fat Boys - *click me hard*
Kool Moe Dee - *click me hard*

---

Examples of Golden Age Hip Hop (Links to youtube videos)
I extremely recommend this stuff, nothing beats the golden age!

Das EFX - Real Hip Hop - *click me hard*
Artifacts - *click me hard*
L.O.T.U.G. (Lords of the Underground) - *click me hard*
A.T.Q.C. (A Tribe Called Quest) - *click me hard*
Leaders of the New School - *click me hard*
Fu-Schnickens feat. Shaquille O'Neil - *click me hard*
Wu-Tang Clan - *click me hard*
Onyx - *click me hard*
Mobb Deep - *click me hard*

And some golden age stuff from the west coast:

Cypress Hill - *click me hard*
N.W.A. - *click me hard*
Ice Cube - *click me hard*
Too Short - *click me hard*
Dr. Dre - *click me hard*

Sadly, almost all the mentioned golden age bands have turned to pure crap, or even worse.

NO POST-1995 HIP HOP COMMENTS PLEASE, THX!
16.01.2008 - 17:10
ylside

Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" is a song that I like very much. But nothing beside this.
16.01.2008 - 17:13
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I love the Golden Age, those bands are basically as important to me as grunge is, for obvious time-related reasons. Old School stuff is also good, although I prefer the more urban, gritty and often uh... obscene qualities of the Golden Age.
NWA and Wu Tang are probably my favorites.
16.01.2008 - 17:14
Existenzangst
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 16.01.2008 at 17:10

Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" is a song that I like very much. But nothing beside this.

try some golden age stuff, i like it way more than old school hip hop, to be honest, grandmaster flash, fat boys and beasty boys are the only old school hip hop musicians I truly like, I'm more into golden age.

@jupi: same for me, golden age has that urban and gloomy touch i'm truly into.
18.01.2008 - 05:21
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I love Wu Tang, much love. Amongst the most aware and intelligent hip hop groups out there, and also amongst the sickest, and without a doubt the MOST MASSVE crew ever. Of course I also love NWA, Ice Cube, Dre, Snoop, Ice T, and Cypress Hill. West coast (golden age, specifically) is where I got started in my hip hop. A pretty damn good place to start if you ask me, it's where they began becoming the most lyrically diverse and the beats got alot more intresting. I mean, Dr. Dre and DJ Muggs, along with RZA, helped change the sound of Hip Hop.

Onyx, The Beastie Boys, LL Cool J, and Big Daddy Kane are also really cool.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
22.01.2008 - 23:32
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Golden Age Of Hip Hop is the ONLY TYPE OF RAP I REALLY LISTEN TO .....well besides SOME Rap/Alternative like ICP or Kottonmouth Kings.......But seriously though, this modern rap nowadays is awful and I can't see how a metalhead would be able to relate, it's far too commercial, many of the younger generation either can't rap or rap about stupid things. Oh and the Souljah Boi dancesongs, I find them repulsive! Also to me personally, I find the beats and production to be too polished, I much prefere the G-Funk style. Rap is going down the tubes, ewww and how Snoop Dogg is now singing . I think that is more what the metalheads hate.

I used to hate rap too, but then when I heard the old school stuff, I actually was blown away, they actually had skill! and I understood why certain thrash bands bonded with rap groups. There's something to old school rap, I listen to it! and it's also easier to appreciate if you write raps too.

Big Daddy Kane to me is the greatest emcee ov all time, his flow and rhyme scheme is rediculous lol. But my favourite rap group would have to be N.W.A. , N.W.A. are to Rap as Judas Priest are to Metal.

lol, flat tops and jheri curls need to come back in style
23.01.2008 - 02:05
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I do enjoy the old school Hip Hop. It seems to have just so much more soul than anything today, especially the chemistry groups had together, great stuff. Some favorites of mine:

Naughty by Nature
Gang Starr
Public Enemy
A Tribe Called Quest
The Beastie Boys
NWA

Of course these are "must knows.' There are all kinds of other great MCs and DJs like Bambaataa, DJ Kool Herc, Jeru, Kane, Big L, and so many other groups and peoples I still need to get to know. It definitely is a lush and satisfying genre and era of music.
----
The force will be with you, always.
26.01.2008 - 04:47
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
my soon-to-be prom date called my house hours ago and had another friend on the line with the same name as me and she asked us to freestyle battle against each other haha. We both couldn't be judged cuz we both rap 2 different styles.
19.11.2009 - 02:53
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I just saw Killah Priest and he destroyed.
----
Brujerizmo!
02.04.2011 - 23:45
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I've been getting into the rapper Paris in recent days, although that's about it for me as far as hip hop goes. If anybody has rec's for similar artist's that would be appreciated.
28.03.2012 - 20:13
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Anyone able to recommend me more stuff like this?