Metal Storm logo
Censorship in rock and metal lyrics

16.01.2008 - 19:11
RockeRoy

After seeing the part about "Pmrc" and censorship in The headbangers journey documentary about metal i searched on youtube for debates and documentarys about rock and metal censorship, and i found many interesting debates and interviews with Frank Zappa about censorship. i would recommend everyone to see the debate on crossfire with Frank Zappa who is against all censorship and a guy that belive that rock music is the reason for aids!(Just search "frank zappa on crossfire" on youtube)
And i am interested in you views on this topic and also on the Crossfire with Frank Zappa debate!
Personaly i agree with everything Mr.Zappa is saying, and is ofcourse for Freedom of speach and against Censorship!
I would be especially interested to hear the opinions from someone who is for censorship!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
16.01.2008 - 19:16
Existenzangst
Account deleted
hell, that first guy talking is utterly fucked up in the head, all i've gotta say is: if you don't fight the system, you are the system.

edit: love how he mentions the bible! haha, if you ban zappa, you've gotta ban the fucking bible! muaha
27.01.2008 - 02:30
selken
Irreligious
Censorship is crap, I HATE CENSORSHIT, it's against freedom of speech!!!
Banning should be banned xD
----
26.02.2008 - 16:15
Necronomicon
Account deleted
wow really nice clip haha nice job zappa
08.03.2008 - 22:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 16.01.2008 at 19:16

all i've gotta say is: if you don't fight the system, you are the system.

You don't get ahead, by giving head to the man.

My opinion has probably been said many times, it all comes down to a persons upbringing, if everyone raised there kids right, censorship would be unnecessary, I feel I was raised to the best of my parents ability, and I (and probably most of us here) listen to possibly some of the worst music imaginable (lyric wise that is), and I'm not insane or anything (I think?). And half the controversial things that Tipper Gore was after was just swearing...there only words.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.03.2008 - 00:26
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
There is nevertheless a difference between banning something completely and merely putting a warning sticker on it...
Sure, K-Mart etc. might then refuse to distribute it but at least it still gets released and in today's world of Internet shopping, the involvement of big store chains is no longer really necessary (on the contrary, fans of metal, rap etc. might be boycotting them anyway).

Personally, I dont really support the whole idea of stickers either; however, they are not the same as censorship.
10.03.2008 - 01:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by jupitreas on 10.03.2008 at 00:26

There is nevertheless a difference between banning something completely and merely putting a warning sticker on it...
Sure, K-Mart etc. might then refuse to distribute it but at least it still gets released and in today's world of Internet shopping, the involvement of big store chains is no longer really necessary (on the contrary, fans of metal, rap etc. might be boycotting them anyway).

Personally, I dont really support the whole idea of stickers either; however, they are not the same as censorship.

And I dont think anyone even pays attention to the stickers anymore, back when I was younger buying a CD with those stickers was like trying to buy a gun at that age, it was almost impossible. But now my 8 year old cousin buys those terrible hippidy-hop records with the warning label on them all the time, everyones kind of stopped paying attention.
----
- George Carlin
17.09.2008 - 23:10
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
the whole concept of censorship is a fucking joke!
who are you to determine what can be said i dont think someone should block or CENSOR your thoughts and words
18.09.2008 - 18:49
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
along with censoring lyrics, i think its really bad when bands like Nattefrost have to censor their bands shirts on ebay. even if the content is fairly graphic LOL.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
18.09.2008 - 22:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 18.09.2008 at 10:49

Written by Doc G. on 10.03.2008 at 01:59

Written by jupitreas on 10.03.2008 at 00:26

And I dont think anyone even pays attention to the stickers anymore, back when I was younger buying a CD with those stickers was like trying to buy a gun at that age, it was almost impossible. But now my 8 year old cousin buys those terrible hippidy-hop records with the warning label on them all the time, everyones kind of stopped paying attention.

I'm really glad they have those stickers. They act as a guard against any stupid arguments concerned parents might have in favor of censorship. Thanks to those stickers people can't say they weren't warned of the explicit content of an album and are forced to only blame themselves for not paying attention.

But then if kids can still buy the albums, not paying attention is the problem, huh? Well, I can't feel sorry for a record store employee who got fired because he/she neglected to check a kid's age before selling an album with inappropriate lyrics.

I think, concerning censorship, things have been handled fairly well.

Hm, I definitely see where your coming from. At the same time I dont think its just the store clerks who ignore it, I really know any parents who really give a damn about those stickers anymore, at least until they hear the music.
----
- George Carlin
19.09.2008 - 06:40
Judas
The Amputator
Don't they actually have "clean" versions of some albums?

Anyway, I reckon if it's explicit, you have to warn people, but actual censorship is bullshit. It's your own fault if you let your kid buy a Cannibal Corpse album at the age of 8. You deserve to have a fuck-up for a kid.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
19.09.2008 - 07:51
Hrothdane

Parents are the censors for their children. If their child gets a hold of something they deem inappropriate, it is the parents' own damn fault.

Another complaint I hear from censorship proponents is that certain media is too obscene and tasteless. I personally feel that if something is truly obscene without any sort of merit, then chances are nobody (or very few people) like it anyways and the market will eliminate it as soon as the initial shock value dissipates.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
25.09.2008 - 18:46
Agitatore
Account deleted
About the issue, explicit contents are surprisingly the best weapon to keep extreme bands at bay here in my place. Very simple reason: the lyrics are not appropriate for the youngsters (in general, not particularly for metal listeners), so they say, and here we go... nowhere.
28.11.2008 - 00:53
Luciferion

Written by Doc G. on 08.03.2008 at 22:35

Written by Guest on 16.01.2008 at 19:16

all i've gotta say is: if you don't fight the system, you are the system.

You don't get ahead, by giving head to the man.

My opinion has probably been said many times, it all comes down to a persons upbringing, if everyone raised there kids right, censorship would be unnecessary, I feel I was raised to the best of my parents ability, and I (and probably most of us here) listen to possibly some of the worst music imaginable (lyric wise that is), and I'm not insane or anything (I think?). And half the controversial things that Tipper Gore was after was just swearing...there only words.

But words can hurt heh. Joking bro i can't stand censorship, though i agree the stickers we're once a good measure to help reduce what was being shown to kids. But i think they've taken it too far nowadays, we're certain retailers are banning artists/albums for lyrics and not selling them.

The thing that pisses me off the most though is teh shit they pull on the radio. I know everyone has probably heard a song were they try to edit out language for radio plays, but srsly you'd have to be completely naive to not guess what really went where, if you know what i mean. And by censoring the music for radio is hypocritical since aren't they promoting teh band by palying it, yet they're trying to protect the listener's against the product their promoting. Makes no sense to me. It's like advertising a kitchen knife set, but everytime they are gonna show youa knife they edit it out to show a flower instead, yet they are still promoting the knife set in hopes that you keep tuned and maybe purcahse the product. (yes its a bad comparison... its 4pm im finishing a day of work and my brain is dead.)
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
20.12.2008 - 00:07
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Censorship in rock and metal sucks. thats how you can tell if a band has gotten screwed by their label, they release wal mart friendly versions. its even worse when it happens in rap music...now thats just sad.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
17.02.2010 - 00:24
whatsacow

The things we censor i.e. Sex and profanity, are only really bad because christianity says it is. If it wasn't for those stupid little supposed do-gooders, things would be fine. Well, christians and catholics. Catholics are just people who pretend to be christians. cockheads.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
17.02.2010 - 02:52
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by whatsacow on 17.02.2010 at 00:24

The things we censor i.e. Sex and profanity, are only really bad because christianity says it is. If it wasn't for those stupid little supposed do-gooders, things would be fine. Well, christians and catholics. Catholics are just people who pretend to be christians. cockheads.

hi! i grew up Catholic. i am pretty sure they are Christian... and there is more to sex and profanity than simply religion (Christianity in particular).

but Christianity remains a nice, safe target.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.02.2010 - 13:11
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Poor Christians...noone likes them...but cheers - your god does
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.02.2010 - 00:12
whatsacow

Written by BitterCOld on 17.02.2010 at 02:52

Written by whatsacow on 17.02.2010 at 00:24

hi! i grew up Catholic. i am pretty sure they are Christian... and there is more to sex and profanity than simply religion (Christianity in particular).

but Christianity remains a nice, safe target.

Damn straight. But I'm not talking about modern catholicism causing censorship, i'm talking about the catholicism in the dark ages and how what they censored has come down to today.
the majority of Catholics nowadays don't really even follow the bible. thats what i was implying.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
18.02.2010 - 00:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by whatsacow on 18.02.2010 at 00:12

Damn straight. But I'm not talking about modern catholicism causing censorship, i'm talking about the catholicism in the dark ages and how what they censored has come down to today.
the majority of Catholics nowadays don't really even follow the bible. thats what i was implying.

Political Correctness is a far greater danger to free speech now than Catholicism/Christianity... and it is a far more insidious form of mind control.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.02.2010 - 00:29
whatsacow

Yeah. I was just making a statement, but i agree. Political corectness is retarded and gay lol.
----
19.02.2010 - 21:25
Kei

I'm gsy, so I don't personally enjoy when my orientation is used to slur things like being politically correct and Catholic. In fact, I motion that when something is stupid or offensive, we use -those- as slurs instead.

I understand censorship from a purely marketing standpoint. If I'm a company trying to sell x or y album, and the fact that it has swear words or explicit content makes it so that I cannot sell it to a particular market or in a particular place, I might opt to censor it so that I can still take the so called "do gooders" money. At least, their children¿s allowance.

From a moral standpoint I think it is disgusting and I am constantly baffled by the entire process. Being from the United States, I've always been taught that Americans are supposed to be grateful for their freedoms, that we escaped horrible religious persecution, that we're ahead of most of the world in terms of civil liberties...and yet, we're the ones with prejudice in every form, with the patriot act, and with some of the worst negations of civil liberty perpetrated by our government and the very religions who came here to escape prejudice.

The catholics in Mexico would spit on you if you called them Christians, they disagree that the words are synonymous. Also, Catholicism remains insidious in places where it still has a modicum of power. It recently threatened to excommunicate Mexico in its entirety if the government legalized abortion.
----
Author of Femme Metale on Metal Chicks.
Follow me on Metal Chicks: http://metalchicks.ca/Keinans_Blog/
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/?ref=logo
Twitter: @KeinanLynx
29.12.2014 - 20:50
Infernal Eternal

Fuck censorship. Really, freedom of speech hasn't hurt anyone. Thankfully, things have changed in the last two decades.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
18.05.2016 - 22:08
Enteroctopus

All I have to say on the "Explicit Lyrics" sticker is that motherfucker was the best advertisement EVER, if some pile of shit album had that sticker I didn't even care if it sucked, I wanted it because it was supposed to be "bad." It also made no damn difference to me what my parents said, either, because then I just wanted to watch or listen to that shit even more!!

I've physically removed the actual tape from the "bad" cassette and put it into some innocent one, like "Bambi" or something. What? Slayer?! All it took was a little Phillips screwdriver, and there you go. And if you wanted music you just have your buddy dub it for you anyway. That's why the whole Napster situation was so stupid. In the late 80s, early 90s we all just copied tapes for each other, nobody gave a shit! Suddenly we're doing the same thing on the Internet and now it's BAD!! How is the same fucking thing bad now? Ridiculous.

After having worn out a dubbed copy of, "Appetite for Destruction," (my first metal album, also featuring the Explicit Lyrics label, and lots of lyrics about cocaine, cheap alcohol and pussy) I have since purchased at least five new ones, so if you make a good record then chances are you'll sell it to me multiple times, so CHILL!!!

As far as the USA we were progressive, in like 1915!! Since WWI and WWII we have basically become a nation whose sole purpose is funding a war machine. It all comes down to fossil fuels, which unfortunately for us now we happened to be rich in, partly because a lot of native American tribes sold their land, which was worthless except it happened to be sitting on a bunch of oil.

So, early 20th Century, "YIPEE!!" we struck it rich, and now we're paying the price for it, and running out of the shit at the same time. Going broke.

Censoring fuck and shit and titties on an album cover gives us something to think about besides the disaster that is our rotting country.
19.07.2016 - 15:56
Overrwatcher

There are two things I don't get about censorship:

1. Why is "F**K" less offensive than "FUCK"? Both get the exact same message across and you know exactly what they meant. Everyone knows that word. So what does it accomplish? You substitute "*****" for "fuck" in your head. Same message, just one is taboo and the other is "child-friendly". I've known "fuck" since first grade, I just didn't use it because I wasn't trashy.

2. Why are extreme metal lyrics often censored? You can have a song about gore, violence, sex, rape, you name it, but no wait, it has to be censor that one fuck. Roadrunner Records is especially bad about this. Not very many kids listen to extreme metal, and the lyrics are often not very good influences for someone that young, profanity or not.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.