Other
Alexander
Mongol
King Arthur

Total votes: 91
17.01.2008 - 19:34
Valentin B
Iconoclast
a very simple question, which one is the best of the recent epic historical/fantasy movies, with the good stuff, you know: huge armies, intensely brutal battle scenes, charismatic characters etc.

i didn't include LOTR because it would have won for sure, so out of the list i choose Kingdom of Heaven as it's the most authentic looking, with no scenes that looked at all fake and stuff, plus it's about one of my favourite subjects, the Crusades

also Braveheart was 13 years ago so don't vote for it
17.01.2008 - 20:55
Ernis
狼獾
300....this film simply reeks of epicness...but somehow it manages to be above clichés...lottsa adrenaline....

Bout Beowulf...which Beowulf did you mean? Gerard Butler's Beowulf or the computer cartoon Beowulf? The first one's better for sure....
17.01.2008 - 21:10
Damnated
Churchburner
thing is, lotr is better than all of those movies.

anyways, since it's about epicness, i'll go with 300. The best movie from that list is without a doubt Gladiator, but there wasn't such epicness going on there. so 300. all the way.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
17.01.2008 - 22:31
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ernis on 17.01.2008 at 20:55

300....this film simply reeks of epicness...but somehow it manages to be above clichés...lottsa adrenaline....

Bout Beowulf...which Beowulf did you mean? Gerard Butler's Beowulf or the computer cartoon Beowulf? The first one's better for sure....

i mean the Beowulf where Beowulf says "I AM BEOWULF!!!!" lots of times
21.01.2008 - 23:53
Fhuesc

Mongol?, never heard of it. Anyway i voted for gladiator, it's the best from the selection.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
22.01.2008 - 06:08
Stigmatized
Gladiator. One of my favorite movies.

300 =overrated
Kingdom of Heaven =sucked
Troy =sucked and blew
22.01.2008 - 09:28
Harmonic
Account deleted
Gladiator, hands down. None of the "competition" even come close. My thoughts went momentarily to the Lord of the Rings movies, but Gladiator outdid even those.
22.01.2008 - 10:05
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i think out of those it must be Gladiator...though most of those movies are spectacular and great
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.01.2008 - 14:08
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
Of course it has to Gladiator. Ridley Scott is amazing, I'm ashamed to say that it almost moves me to tears everytime I watch it, and there's very few films that can do that for me. This film is a million times better than LOTR, but it lacks epicness.

I did enjoy 300 because it was meant to be in a comic book style and it was pretty entertaining. The original is really good too! Kingdom Of Heaven was also way better than I thought it would be.

Alexander and King Arthur were pure crap in every way.
23.01.2008 - 15:05
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i dont agree with your opinion on King Arthur...imo it was good movie...of course not as good as Gladiator or so, but i found the idea of "showing how the legend borns" very nice and the film itself was full of spectacular and strong moments...so i like it
----

23.01.2008 - 15:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
I don't think any of these movies are good actually, well "Gladiator" is but I've always considered it to be highly overrated.
----
23.01.2008 - 16:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fhuesc on 21.01.2008 at 23:53

Mongol?, never heard of it. Anyway i voted for gladiator, it's the best from the selection.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0416044/ i felt i had to add it to the list, it's a great epic movie about Genghis Khan, and contends for best foreign movie oscars this year.
25.01.2008 - 20:01
Ascalon

300 it's an amazing movie ... the photography developed ... and the story, the caracterization ... amazing .. then you got Kingdom of Heaven .. that for me it's awesome to, after those ones ... Gladiator and Beowulf maybe ... just maybe Troy .. and Alexander sucks ... King Arthur it just a good movie .. and Mongol ... I haven't ever heard of that one ...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
26.01.2008 - 14:47
APOHAKC
The Bard
Most of them are pure shits, I vote Kingdom Of Heaven, cause it have some great moments, I love how they recorded some scenes, and the last battle is awesome, just, man, some of the siege weapons they put there would never work in real life, it looks cool though, I kinda liked some parts of King Arthur too, it have best music of all films from the poll, fantastic soundtrack!
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
28.01.2008 - 20:13
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
300 all the way. Since it has the most epic battlescenes, the speech, and the Fx were pretty cool. And it's a perfect adaptation from teh graphic novel by Frank Miller.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
28.01.2008 - 21:40
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
he he...best epic movie of recent years is definitely Epic Movie - parody to Narnia, Charles And The Chocolate Factory, Pirates Of The Caribbean, X-Men, Harry Potter, Night In The Museum, Snakes On The Plane, Da Vinci's Code and i dont know what more
----

31.01.2008 - 15:52
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Ellrohir on 28.01.2008 at 21:40

he he...best epic movie of recent years is definitely Epic Movie - parody to Narnia, Charles And The Chocolate Factory, Pirates Of The Caribbean, X-Men, Harry Potter, Night In The Museum, Snakes On The Plane, Da Vinci's Code and i dont know what more

Which is odd, 'cause only one of those movies are really epic: Pirates Of The Caribbean. Narnia is not epic, I almost fell asleep. And Harry Potter isn't spite there's magic
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
18.05.2008 - 17:07
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Gladiator in my opinion cause its really epic and epic and again its epic
19.05.2008 - 11:25
Hamird
Lieutenant
Gladiator was a great movie but not as the best epic movie imo.
i've voted for Kingdom of Heaven because it was really nice and true epic. the only time i feel i like muslim powers. the true islam was that time.
Director of both Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven is same, i don't know the name. he is really great in historical movies.
what i see in Kingdom of Heaven is the great action senses. real history (which 300 has not that) and real crusade battles.
and so many acters which i almost like all of them. orlando bloom, edward norton, liam neeson, jermy irons. (oh i forgot to name lovely Eva Green , i like her)
29.05.2008 - 04:53
Haightredy

What's more epic than suspended hundreds of feet in the air hanging from a dragon, then ripping your own arm off just to rip out it's heart?

BTW: I'm talking about Beowulf.
02.06.2008 - 18:10
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Haightredy on 29.05.2008 at 04:53

What's more epic than suspended hundreds of feet in the air hanging from a dragon, then ripping your own arm off just to rip out it's heart?

BTW: I'm talking about Beowulf.

well, i haven't read the Beowulf poem, but it's probably how it happened there. but i think at that moment he realised he was going to die anyway, so..
02.06.2008 - 23:09
Varegan
Hamranakara
Beowulf is the best one so far, I think he is a mixture of Thor and Tyr and Sigurd that was a nice movie, I loved church and cross burning parts...
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
02.06.2008 - 23:16
Varegan
Hamranakara
and 300 is the worst a filthy piece of historical lie pure nonsense shit!!!! I dont care it was a comic or any kind of shit!!! its so fuckin shiiiiiiiit!
----

03.06.2008 - 08:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Varegan on 02.06.2008 at 23:09

Beowulf is the best one so far, I think he is a mixture of Thor and Tyr and Sigurd that was a nice movie, I loved church and cross burning parts...

i mean the beowulf which looks like a cartoon, feels like a cartoon, and quite frankly IS a cartoon, the 3-D masturbation which appeared last year... this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0442933/

edit oh yeah i just realised this was the one lol. sorry
03.06.2008 - 22:59
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Valentin B on 03.06.2008 at 08:20

Written by Varegan on 02.06.2008 at 23:09

i mean the beowulf which looks like a cartoon, feels like a cartoon, and quite frankly IS a cartoon, the 3-D masturbation which appeared last year... this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0442933/

I like it because its like a cartoon, i think its a good innovation, that was more like a video game with natural graphics, (like Crysis)
----

03.06.2008 - 23:19
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Varegan on 02.06.2008 at 23:16

and 300 is the worst a filthy piece of historical lie pure nonsense shit!!!! I dont care it was a comic or any kind of shit!!! its so fuckin shiiiiiiiit!

Calm down....if Swedes made a film bout the theft of the golden gates of the Sigtuna city by some Star Wars Boba Fett/Chewbacca/cookie monster/bald Britney look-alikes and name them Estonians then I'd take it more or less as some artistic joke.....
After all it's not made after the historical event but is a retouched remake of a retouched comic of a historical film where Persians were actually depicted as humans......
04.06.2008 - 18:18
carlithrashinmad
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 23.01.2008 at 16:09

Written by Fhuesc on 21.01.2008 at 23:53

http://imdb.com/title/tt0416044/ i felt i had to add it to the list, it's a great epic movie about Genghis Khan, and contends for best foreign movie oscars this year.

Yes! I have been waiting so long for a movie about the mongols! but didn't know there is one already, great info here. Mongols were my fav civilazation for playing Age of Empires . I voted for Gladiator, its a great history even it lacks of epicness and fantasy,because it was made on a real historical context....Is 300 based on history?? never watched it so.,.and Troy really sucks, they could have made a better film
05.06.2008 - 16:05
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
300 i totaly loved movie, it's best on that list for voting, Gladiator was good but dunno why it didn't fit me very well, other's there mostly sucked, exept maybe Kingdom of Heaven that one was good,
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
05.06.2008 - 19:13
Pinusar
Account deleted
Most of them are shit in my opinion. I think you're right though, that LOTR would have surely won, had you included it in the poll.
05.06.2008 - 22:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Gladiator is way better.. but not as epic.

300 simply rulz and I just wanted to kick some ass after I watched the film...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.